ADVERTISEMENT

Sporting News running with Higgins / UK fans story

Basically any legitimate compliant made against Higgins has been rendered moot. If Cal, Barnhart or any other school official registered a complaint, it will now be dismissed as caving to the pressure of an out of control and maniacal fan base. Instead of exacting retribution against Higgins, he's been turned into a victim and martyr. Basically, he's teflon now.

And he'll have a bigger better Facebook page after this is over. Higgins 100, KY fans 0.

The 1% screws us again. This is just moronic.
Thats your opinion. I don't agree with it. Nothing Cal would do, short of causing the same level of stink on the court, would change the Higgins situation. Cal won't do it and some people have taken it upon themselves to do something. I guess you prefer sitting on your hands when you're getting abused, most don't.

I guess I'm one of the bad people who supports calling Higgins out. I don't think he just missed some calls or has a subconscious bias against UK. I honestly believe that he is on the take and was acting intentionally to force a UK loss for monetary gain. We can disagree about the accuracy of that determination, but once I reached that conclusion, it was game on. And it's not about me. I think about a young man like Dom Hawkins or the little old ladies that sit by their radios listening to UK games and my blood boils. Disagree with the methods if you want, but if he never refs another UK game then this will all have been well worth it.

I don't hold all Alabama fans accountable for a nut that poisoned trees.

Obviously, some people crossed the line here, but that happens frequently.

Eventually, someone will take up the mantle of pushing the narrative of Higgins' officiating.

That person will become a hero, tapping into the support of the largest and most dedicated CBB fanbase in the world.

Why did this happen now and not after so many other losses? Start with that question and see where that leads. There is gold to be found if you are up to the task. Someone will be.

Here's my 2 cents.

I definitely think some of the "reviews" went too far. Threats of any kind are overboard. I thought many of them were funny, though.

I don't care who hates Kentucky fans for this. The people who will hate UK fans for this already hated UK fans. The people who might attempt to attack Calipari, the University, or the team for this already hated them all.

The calls made in this game were beyond the pale. They were borderline criminal, if not fully so. I don't feel sorry for this man. I'm glad attention is being drawn to this because nothing will ever change if some kind of public pressure isn't applied. That's just a fact.

So, I'm not embarrassed or ashamed or upset. I wish the threats had been left off. Other than that, the more attention that can be drawn to this man the better. It's not just one game here, it's multiple games. I think the NCAA had something to do with it, also. It was clearly a personal vendetta but he may have been under orders. I hope it all comes out, though I doubt it will.

maybe start with defining "holding accountable". i say something is better than nothing. or just quit ok lol.

If I need to define accountable for you then how are you even arguing this point? That makes no sense at all. I'm sorry but there is no way for the average fan to hold Higgins accountable for his performance. Rightfully so I might add. You're not holding him accountable, you're turning him into the victim and taking the attention off what he did on the court. Do you really believe that anyone wants to help someone that does something like that? No! You end up turning people against us and then nobody cares about what Higgins did because they think we deserved it.

I'm not really sure how anyone can think this is helpful. It's a completely immature way of going about things. It certainly isn't holding Higgins accountable, that's for damn sure. If it was, he wouldn't be doing the Final Four this weekend. Cal and the university have got to get involved to get him held accountable and I'm sure they will now. Cal has obviously had enough of Higgins and will likely take some action. We as fans just need to sit back and allow Cal to work his magic. I know it's tough but that's what is necessary.

Trust me bro, I want to do everything I can to get my voice heard. I would love to do all of this and then some but I know it's not going to help. We have to let it happen through the proper channels. It sucks but we are powerless as fans, rightfully so though. We are powerless in these matters. We just have to trust that Cal and Barnhart are going to go to bat for us and make sure that Higgins is not on any of our big games anymore. I'm confident that they will and that we hopefully won't be seeing him in the tournament anymore. But the more we do shit like that then the less likely that is going to happen. We keep doing shit like that and we may see Higgins every damn round.

I forwarded the article to a guy that loves CBB but doesn't root for any certain team and he said they all should be sued and it was a dispicable way for adults to behave. I'm shocked at how many of our fans are total gutter trash as well and don't even care. Sadly, most of our worst fans didn't even graduate from High School, let alone College. I hope most of the posters here that think its funny are under 15 years old. That's they only way to explain it. Only a lowlife would engage in trying to harass a referee.
Still searching for your manhood I see.
Now you're attacking the education level of Cat fans. I see you have a pretty low post count as well. So, not only are you new to this board but, you are actively attacking many longtime posters. Hmmmm.

The comment section says it all. The 1% of the idiots in our fanbase will turn thousands and thousands more people against us. Just stupid. Man do we have some immature, trailor trash brats in our fanbase....and every single one of them is hiding behind the internet like the cowards that they are.
Um, it's "trailer" not "trailor" there professor.
And if you posted on his FB page you couldn't "hide" behind anything.
Your troll is showing.

Stfu and go sell some hookers to Knox and his dad in hopes of landing anyone other than a bum from Egypt.

It's time UK fought back. The pussy way of handling this nonsense has gotten us 8 titles instead of a legitimate and fair chance at 10

Fight back? This is playground retribution. Children making themselves feel better.

If I need to define accountable for you then how are you even arguing this point? That makes no sense at all. I'm sorry but there is no way for the average fan to hold Higgins accountable for his performance. Rightfully so I might add. You're not holding him accountable, you're turning him into the victim and taking the attention off what he did on the court. Do you really believe that anyone wants to help someone that does something like that? No! You end up turning people against us and then nobody cares about what Higgins did because they think we deserved it.

I'm not really sure how anyone can think this is helpful. It's a completely immature way of going about things. It certainly isn't holding Higgins accountable, that's for damn sure. If it was, he wouldn't be doing the Final Four this weekend. Cal and the university have got to get involved to get him held accountable and I'm sure they will now. Cal has obviously had enough of Higgins and will likely take some action. We as fans just need to sit back and allow Cal to work his magic. I know it's tough but that's what is necessary.

Trust me bro, I want to do everything I can to get my voice heard. I would love to do all of this and then some but I know it's not going to help. We have to let it happen through the proper channels. It sucks but we are powerless as fans, rightfully so though. We are powerless in these matters. We just have to trust that Cal and Barnhart are going to go to bat for us and make sure that Higgins is not on any of our big games anymore. I'm confident that they will and that we hopefully won't be seeing him in the tournament anymore. But the more we do shit like that then the less likely that is going to happen. We keep doing shit like that and we may see Higgins every damn round.
you won't define it lol. because you can't. bbn saying something about his crooked reffing in a public forum is a form of accountability. your idea is to let the ncaa who promoted him to the ff for his deeds hold him accountable? and their way of doing that is doing nothing. that means ZERO accountability. again i say, something is better than nothing. you can't seem to grasp that. our form of getting some justice is a way of holding someone accountable. your way is do nothing and accept the ncaa's doing nothing.

the irony is they are not only doing nothing they are saying "job well done" and you're ok with that? where were they before this incident? one that some of our own fans predicted could happen btw.

you and some others don't seem to understand the larger narrative of the ncaa in all this. they don't hold themselves accountable or their members accountable. they don't hold unc accountable and they don't hold a guy like higgins accountable. so what do you expect fanatics to do after being screwed over and over and over.

MOST importantly some of you seem to think that we are uk. we are FANS of uk. the media keeps saying that every fanbase has its crazies whether this happened or not. so what can "they" do to "us"? who is "us"? bbn? bbn is a symbolic term that in no way is associated with uk. uk did nothing to john higgins. fanatics did, posting on a public forum no less. who are "they"? the media? does the media select our tournament seed? our schedule? our rivals?

i'm asking some of you now literally how this incident affects uk? every fanbase has its "crazies" either way. if you say we will get screwed more then you are admitting the ncaa had a bias to begin with. if you say we are embarrassing ourselves so what? it's back to that 10% crazies again. and the school itself is not apart of that %. that's FANS. the fact is FANS are trying to hold the ncaa accountable through higgins. he did a poor job hiding his bias. and we can communicate that in a public forum. we CANNOT communicate with the ncaa, only uk people can, and really only via the media. and even when they do this, what happens? nothing.

poor higgins. poor guy. cost us our pride and a lot of money for people and an institution we care about.

Here's my 2 cents.

I definitely think some of the "reviews" went too far. Threats of any kind are overboard. I thought many of them were funny, though.

I don't care who hates Kentucky fans for this. The people who will hate UK fans for this already hated UK fans. The people who might attempt to attack Calipari, the University, or the team for this already hated them all.

The calls made in this game were beyond the pale. They were borderline criminal, if not fully so. I don't feel sorry for this man. I'm glad attention is being drawn to this because nothing will ever change if some kind of public pressure isn't applied. That's just a fact.

So, I'm not embarrassed or ashamed or upset. I wish the threats had been left off. Other than that, the more attention that can be drawn to this man the better. It's not just one game here, it's multiple games. I think the NCAA had something to do with it, also. It was clearly a personal vendetta but he may have been under orders. I hope it all comes out, though I doubt it will.

Very good post. I agree one hundred percent

you won't define it lol. because you can't. bbn saying something about his crooked reffing in a public forum is a form of accountability. your idea is to let the ncaa who promoted him to the ff for his deeds hold him accountable? and their way of doing that is doing nothing. that means ZERO accountability. again i say, something is better than nothing. you can't seem to grasp that. our form of getting some justice is a way of holding someone accountable. your way is do nothing and accept the ncaa's doing nothing.

the irony is they are not only doing nothing they are saying "job well done" and you're ok with that? where were they before this incident? one that some of our own fans predicted could happen btw.

you and some others don't seem to understand the larger narrative of the ncaa in all this. they don't hold themselves accountable or their members accountable. they don't hold unc accountable and they don't hold a guy like higgins accountable. so what do you expect fanatics to do after being screwed over and over and over.

MOST importantly some of you seem to think that we are uk. we are FANS of uk. the media keeps saying that every fanbase has its crazies whether this happened or not. so what can "they" do to "us"? who is "us"? bbn? bbn is a symbolic term that in no way is associated with uk. uk did nothing to john higgins. fanatics did, posting on a public forum no less. who are "they"? the media? does the media select our tournament seed? our schedule? our rivals?

i'm asking some of you now literally how this incident affects uk? every fanbase has its "crazies" either way. if you say we will get screwed more then you are admitting the ncaa had a bias to begin with. if you say we are embarrassing ourselves so what? it's back to that 10% crazies again. and the school itself is not apart of that %. that's FANS. the fact is FANS are trying to hold the ncaa accountable through higgins. he did a poor job hiding his bias. and we can communicate that in a public forum. we CANNOT communicate with the ncaa, only uk people can, and really only via the media. and even when they do this, what happens? nothing.

poor higgins. poor guy. cost us our pride and a lot of money for people and an institution we care about.

Almost every single statement you made is incorrect. I'll simply note that the NCAA is LOADED with rules to penalize the athletic team, department and institution for behavior of its boosters, fans, crowds, etc. They start with technicals on crowds and range through the death penalty for things as nebulous as 'lack of institutional control'. Also the NCAA is considered a benevolent despot by the courts. Translation: it can do anything to a member institution it damn well pleases without show cause.

So crow and beat your chest. Act like a wounded big dog. Cry like a spoiled child. Do whatever you please. Pretend the university is completely not accountable. However, the NCAA can damage UK with far less motivation than threats on its officials. Will they? Most likely not. Can they? Bet your ass.

I guess I'm one of the bad people who supports calling Higgins out. I don't think he just missed some calls or has a subconscious bias against UK. I honestly believe that he is on the take and was acting intentionally to force a UK loss for monetary gain. We can disagree about the accuracy of that determination, but once I reached that conclusion, it was game on. And it's not about me. I think about a young man like Dom Hawkins or the little old ladies that sit by their radios listening to UK games and my blood boils. Disagree with the methods if you want, but if he never refs another UK game then this will all have been well worth it.

You are not bad. Bad are these people pretending to be UK fans where in reality they are our enemies trying to stifle our voices,

Almost every single statement you made is incorrect. I'll simply note that the NCAA is LOADED with rules to penalize the athletic team, department and institution for behavior of its boosters, fans, crowds, etc. They start with technicals on crowds and range through the death penalty for things as nebulous as 'lack of institutional control'. Also the NCAA is considered a benevolent despot by the courts. Translation: it can do anything to a member institution it damn well pleases without show cause.

So crow and beat your chest. Act like a wounded big dog. Cry like a spoiled child. Do whatever you please. Pretend the university is completely not accountable. However, the NCAA can damage UK with far less motivation than threats on its officials. Will they? Most likely not. Can they? Bet your ass.

OK got the idea, according to your wise advice, we are suppose to bend over and say go ahead, do it again!!

Reactions: hotelblue
OK got the idea, according to your wise advice, we are suppose to bend over and say go ahead, do it again!!

Frankly, after this, I expect that precise thing could happen. Not you. But someone will get called on the carpet at the university. Maybe not. Maybe 1% of our fan base can behave like childish morons without accountability on the part university.

Cats out of the bag now though, pun intended. That 1% deserves whatever happens. Problem is it'll happen to the school. They didn't do a damn thing.

Oh, I'm not giving advice. Your post contained many errors. I just pointed out the biggest of them.

LMAO! My lord, you have went off the deep end. Might as well act like a bunch of idiots since everyone thinks we are anyway, right? Who cares if we embarrass ourselves, right?
The ones that says that is usually the ones leading the 10% into Idiotville. March on buddy. I'm done with you.

Oh, and I defined it perfectly. You just didn't like the answer because it didn't allow you to act like an idiot. I told you the ONLY way he will be held accountable is through Cal and Barnhart. That's it. Sorry you don't like it but it's the truth.

If you think writing a vulgar message on his FB company page is a form of accountable and is going to get the NCAA to do ANYTHING, then you are beyond lost my friend. That's all there is to it. Your doing "something" is nothing! I still can't believe JerseyCat liked your post. That's just about as shocking.

Last edited:

A university cannot and is not required to "control" it's fans. That's ridiculous. Quit wringing your hands like an old woman.

LMAO! My lord, you have went off the deep end. Might as well act like a bunch of idiots since everyone thinks we are anyway, right? Who cares if we embarrass ourselves, right?
The ones that says that is usually the ones leading the 10% into Idiotville. March on buddy. I'm done with you.
Just curious, do you consider IL Wildcat an idiot too? I guess I'm one too. I wish the threats hadn't been made but I don't mind the rest at all. Personally, I hope there are a few hundred members of the BBN in the Omaha area who will call for estimates to replace their roof. Nothing illegal with that Sparky and nothing says they have to accept the bid. Just sayin.

Reactions: shep21754
I interrupt this thread to say:

This board is certifiably insane and outright hilarious.
And fantastic.

Carry on.

Now would be a good time for a well spoken level headed fan to write a letter to the editor of some major newspapers, maybe start with the Omaha area.

The key is that it shouldn't focus on Higgins costing us the game. I think most level headed UK fans would admit that it was somewhat 50-50, and someone had to lose. The focus really needs to. E on the checks and balances that are in place to assure fairness in officiating college ball.

I think the fevered pitch has been reached not just because of one game. But rather a pattern that covers several high stakes games and even multiple coaches. As someone mentioned earlier, this didn't happen after the other losses. Either something changed or this was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Reactions: musrat59

Oh, and I defined it perfectly. You just didn't like the answer because it didn't allow you to act like an idiot. I told you the ONLY way he will be held accountable is through Cal and Barnhart. That's it. Sorry you don't like it but it's the truth.

If you think writing a vulgar message on his FB company page is a form of accountable and is going to get the NCAA to do ANYTHING, then you are beyond lost my friend. That's all there is to it. Your doing "something" is nothing! I still can't believe JerseyCat liked your post. That's just about as shocking.
you never defined what accountability is. all you said is none (ncaa) is better than some. and that's very obviously a contradiction. please be done, you argue like a child.

ok, name one thing i said that's incorrect...

care to give an example how the ncaa could punish uk for uk fans posting on mr. higgin's facebook? just one example?

a fan at a game is a paying customer coming to watch a university product. that university is according to the ncaa responsible to protect the refs, opposing coaches, players etc. that example isn't comparable at all to random fans posting in cyberspace, which if i'm not mistaken, isn't owned by university of kentucky.

then you actually say the death penalty for what? institutional control? but i'm talking about fans not the institution. are you following anything i said?

yep, the university is not accountable. and who cares anyway, the ncaa isn't either. they set a fine example don't you think? technical fouls lmao gtfo.

Last edited:
Rooferees-Photo.jpg

From rooferees. Seems like an odd photo for a roofing business.

Last edited:
Reactions: crittel56

care to give an example how the ncaa could punish uk for uk fans posting on mr. higgin's facebook? just one example?

a fan at a game is a paying customer coming to watch a university product. that university is according to the ncaa responsible to protect the refs, opposing coaches, players etc. that example isn't comparable at all to random fans posting in cyberspace, which if i'm not mistaken, isn't owned by university of kentucky.

then you actually say the death penalty for what? institutional control? but i'm talking about fans not the institution. are you following anything i said?

yep, the university is not accountable. and who cares anyway, the ncaa isn't either. they set a fine example don't you think? technical fouls lmao gtfo.

Why should I further waste my time explaining anything to some that can't read?

Reactions: UKCATSFREAK
The only positive I see out of this?

The enormous pressure placed on Higgins to call the perfect game in the Final 4 on the sports biggest stage. The perfect game for a referee is essentially that no one notices they are present.

This is an impossible scenario for Higgins. I predict he crashes and burns.

Why should I further waste my time explaining anything to some that can't read?

I've given up on this fool. You just can't fix stupid. I've given him an example of the only way he will be held accountable but he just chooses to ignore it. Yet he thinks he's holding him accountable by posting vulgar comments on his FB page? I've asked him to tell us how in the world is that holding him accountable but he dodges the question like the plague. He doesn't have an answer for it. The answer is that it doesn't, it just let's him act more of an idiot and that's what he wants. So, talking to him is like talking to a brick wall. He's an idiot.

Reactions: kybassfan
I've given up on this fool. You just can't fix stupid. I've given him an example of the only way he will be held accountable but he just chooses to ignore it. Yet he thinks he's holding him accountable by posting vulgar comments on his FB page? I've asked him to tell us how in the world is that holding him accountable but he dodges the question like the plague. He doesn't have an answer for it. The answer is that it doesn't, it just let's him act more of an idiot and that's what he wants. So, talking to him is like talking to a brick wall. He's an idiot.

Reminds me of a militant teen rationalizing why he was justified in vandalizing school property. They are similarly thick headed.

Fight back? This is playground retribution. Children making themselves feel better.

Best I can remember some things got straightened out for the good on a playground. When the teachers (NCAA/SEC officials) wrongly protect the bullies there's nowhere else to take the problem.

The referee is dirty so you've got to get down and dirty with him. He's the one who declared war and if you think he'll stop because you want to play nice you ought to know better if you're older than ten.

I agree that idle threats are uncalled for and impotent. Video evidence is the way to nail his crooked ass to the barn door.

Best I can remember some things got straightened out for the good on a playground. When the teachers (NCAA/SEC officials) wrongly protect the bullies there's nowhere else to take the problem.

The referee is dirty so you've got to get down and dirty with him. He's the one who declared war and if you think he'll stop because you want to play nice you ought to know better if you're older than ten.

I agree that idle threats are uncalled for and impotent. Video evidence is the way to nail his crooked ass to the barn door.

But the average fan has no means to "nail his crooked ass". That's just the way it is. It has to be done by the ones that it's done to and that the school and the team. If the average fan had ways to "straighten" things out with an official every time they thought they got robbed, we wouldn't have sports. They would do away with sports all together. It's got to be Cal and Barnhart who put things in action. Having a bully mentality is going to get us nowhere.

nice info. i already answered that amazing question three times. it's because they can. and it's better than nothing. and is better than your idea of doing nothing. what have you offered here except by not liking my reasoning and facts. the answer is nothing. looks like i'm frustrating you now too. yes childlike arguing by you and now just name calling. so what have you to say? i've answered your question now four times. and you didn't even ask it until this morning lol

That's funny coming from a guy with the logic of a child. You're just one of the 10% idiots.
you've threatened to leave the conversation twice now, and i see you've pretty much left it altogether now. how is anything i've said wrong?

care to even try to answer yet? you've had a full day to think about it....

1. how is university of kentucky responsible for its fans on cyberspace?

2. how is (ncaa) doing nothing holding anyone accountable?

3. how do you define holding someone accountable?

pretty straight forward questions here that you can't seem to answer.

I've pointed out (several times) one very possible unofficial punishment...that Higgins is part of a group of part time ref's. It's human nature for people in groups to defend, protect and avenge their clan. Even if some don't like the actions of their clan member, they can see themselves in his place. This brotherhood mentality occurs everywhere...politics, police military, employees, sports, fans, gangs, etc. It's not hard at all to see this happen among the CBB ref's. It's not like the BBN hasn't had issues with other ref's...not hard for them to see themselves in his shoes.

It's not a leap at all that UK will get more unfriendly whistles or non-calls going forward.

Also...I want to point out that many of you people that support the juvenile FaceBook attack try and paint people like myself as being sympathetic to Higgins and/or oppose to calling him out. I have no problem with calling him out, I'll even contribute and participate. I don't care about what happens to Higgins, I care about the UK program and the BBN and I believe that what just a small percent are doing, regardless of the short term emotional payoff, will hurt UK and the BBN in the long run.

Again, I'm not against calling out Higgins...he needs to go. We need to do it in a manner that doesn't make Higgins the victim.

I've pointed out (several times) one very possible unofficial punishment...that Higgins is part of a group of part time ref's. It's human nature for people in groups to defend, protect and avenge their clan. Even if some don't like the actions of their clan member, they can see themselves in his place. This brotherhood mentality occurs everywhere...politics, police military, employees, sports, fans, gangs, etc. It's not hard at all to see this happen among the CBB ref's. It's not like the BBN hasn't had issues with other ref's...not hard for them to see themselves in his shoes.

It's not a leap at all that UK will get more unfriendly whistles or non-calls going forward.

Also...I want to point out that many of you people that support the juvenile FaceBook attack try and paint people like myself as being sympathetic to Higgins and/or oppose to calling him out. I have no problem with calling him out, I'll even contribute and participate. I don't care about what happens to Higgins, I care about the UK program and the BBN and I believe that what just a small percent are doing, regardless of the short term emotional payoff, will hurt UK and the BBN in the long run.

Again, I'm not against calling out Higgins...he needs to go. We need to do it in a manner that doesn't make Higgins the victim.
the only person then that has provided even one possible answer and it is unofficial. great. and a reach no offense. brotherhood mentality? for a "part time" clan member. that's a mentality you think exists. and not even a company. their "clan" is not the ncaa. and i never accused anyone of being sympathetic. so "you people"?

Exactly! Somehow some people just can't understand this.

this is your whole defense then ok. you're scared that more jobbing will be done. after years of already getting jobbed, the idea that you will be more jobbed is what will keep you sitting in your chair so to speak. that's great. btw your "emotional payoff" is garnering sympathy as well. not one article that sympathizes with higgins came even close to painting the whole picture. and assuming the calls could get worse is maybe the biggest stretch of them all. even casual non uk fans tend to (and have) noticed. what about their opinion?

ADVERTISEMENT