ADVERTISEMENT

Spinoff: defunct Fayette Mall stores

These still around?
3600852699_b721cf4784.jpg

I spent most of my birthday/Christmas/lawn mowing money on cassettes/CDs.

If I remember correctly, Turfland had Record Bar and later Traxx; Fayette had Sam Goody in the old side and ??? on the new side; Sam Goody in Lexington Mall; and Disc Jockey in Lexington Green and Festival Market Place. Bought some classics and duds at all of those stores.

My mom would go do girl shopping and I'd just walk to the music store in whatever mall we were at and stay in there until she was done.

The old Glamour Shots beside the food court was good for peeping to see if you knew any of the unfortunates getting made over.

Walking through Sears to get between the old part of the mall and the new part was absolutely pointless. I'm not sure I ever saw anyone actually buy anything from Sears.

As a kid, they had this long outdoor hallway between Toys R Us and the Southpark Theater that had these displays of the coolest lego models ever. I'm talking they had to be 2,500 pieces or something and they were in these lucite boxes hung along the alleyway. For an 8 year old (or whatever) it was alley Heaven.

The smart move was always to enter through the Lazarus entrance because the girl watching was superb. All of the make-up, jewelry, and perfume counters were front and center and you had to pass them to get to the mall proper. Pro move.

I remember my parents dropping my brothers and I off at Fayette Mall and we would partake in the holy trinity of Aladdin's Castle, The Movie Theater and Pizza By the Slice. As a kid, it was down right magical.

-willy...i will try to find a way to freeze and overnight the pizza to Fla.

Seriously, will give ya my address. Do you think they could make vegan? Although that sausage and pepperoni gives me a GD raging boner

- Aladdins Castle was for rich kids, Tony's was for jean jacket and combat boot wearing hoods. Loved both places.
- South Park movies was the best place to go on a Friday or Saturday. Place was rocking in the 80's.
- New Orleans house was the shiznet for seafood but I only got it once, for an 8th grade formal dance. Made out with the girl in the tunnel between NO House and movies.
- Fayette mall also had a Chic-fil-a in it back when it wasn't very well known. Shit was good but too expensive for me.
- Smoking pits at the mall were also a lifesaver when getting into something. Drinking, smoking or the occasional make out session all were fair game after 7pm.
- Blue Boar in the mall also was decent but they hated kids in there because the old folks would get pissed off and bitch about it so we got kicked out of there a lot.

Fun times

Reactions: KINGBEAST
Read today that last enclosed mall to be built in USA was in Sarasota in 2014. It questioned whether another will ever be built.

- Smoking pits at the mall were also a lifesaver when getting into something. Drinking, smoking or the occasional make out session all were fair game after 7pm.
-
Are we talking the enclosed areas outside the mall or the stairs in the mall when you say smoking pits?

Are we talking the enclosed areas outside the mall or the stairs in the mall when you say smoking pits?
Back in the day there were sunken pits in the middle of the open areas in the mall. They were surrounded by faux plants and had wooden benches and ash trays so people could take in a leisurely smoke while taking in a day at the mall. It was a perfect place to hang later in the night.

Back in the day there were sunken pits in the middle of the open areas in the mall. They were surrounded by faux plants and had wooden benches and ash trays so people could take in a leisurely smoke while taking in a day at the mall. It was a perfect place to hang later in the night.

I can't believe I'm admitting this on the Paddock, but I started smoking at 14 and was addicted by my first day of high school. Quit when I was 34.

Getting smokes sometimes was sketchy as a minor. On one occasion only - a buddy of mine and I when we were 15 once smoked long cig butts out of the ashtrays in the smoking pits in Fayette Mall when we couldn't find an 18-year-old to buy them for us or if we hadn't been to Southland Lanes to buy them out of the vending machine. I avoided the ones with lipstick. Felt like a crackhead. So gross

[sick]

I can't believe I'm admitting this on the Paddock, but I started smoking at 14 and was addicted by my first day of high school. Quit when I was 34.

Getting smokes sometimes was sketchy as a minor. On one occasion only - a buddy of mine and I when we were 15 once smoked long cig butts out of the ashtrays in the smoking pits in Fayette Mall when we couldn't find an 18-year-old to buy them for us or if we hadn't been to Southland Lanes to buy them out of the vending machine. I avoided the ones with lipstick. Felt like a crackhead. So gross

[sick]
Ha. That is kind of disgusting but when your 14 the mind isn't quite functioning yet. I've got a 13 year old and he's gotten 50% dumber over the last year. It's intriguing.

Bear wrestling in Fayette Mall

800924VictorBearrgC.jpg

Seinfeld look alike contest at Fayette Mall
980508SeinfeldMMC2A-550x463.jpg

They used to have those wishing wells of water near Shillito's and the front entrance as well.
Back in the '70's the Fish & Wildlife put a trout tank in there. Parent's gave me some spending cash, which I usually spent at AC, but this time I saw the tank. Had all different sized trout in this big ass tank, and for a dollar, I think, you could pick out a short rod with a fly at the end of @ 5 feet of line. You had a time limit, don't recall what it was.

Nobody was "catching" anything; I watched for maybe 30 minutes. Gave the guy my money, picket out an outfit, and walked up the stairs. I picked out the biggest one in there, and in less than 2 minutes the thing took the bait. Now, anything you caught you could keep....except they put the damn thing in a plastic bag; no water, just a bag.

So, here I go walking around the mall with a 4 pound rainbow trout in this bag, looking for my parents and little sister. (of course they were in the women's department at McAlpin's.

I walk up to them and my dad asks what I've bought; when I said I'd been fishing he just laughed. Then I opened up the bag. I'll never forget the look on their faces, ha ha.

Took it home pretty quickly, and mom cooked it for me the next night.

Sharted in Lazarus one time after eating the cajun chicken fingers at Friday's at South Park.

Had an all-time colon blow in my pants in McAlpin's when I was 9, the kind where you start laughing in disbelief at the sheer amount. But that was Turfland Mall. No accidents to speak of at the store that is now Dillard's.

Sharted in Lazarus one time after eating the cajun chicken fingers at Friday's at South Park.

Had an all-time colon blow in my pants in McAlpin's when I was 9, the kind where you start laughing in disbelief at the sheer amount. But that was Turfland Mall. No accidents to speak of at the store that is now Dillard's.

Was the Turfland incident caused by the Blue Boar Cafeteria?

My grandparents loved that place.

Reactions: funKYcat75
ADVERTISEMENT