ADVERTISEMENT

Spelunking

J_Dee

Junior
Mar 21, 2008
Do you enjoy it?

As a teen (early '90s), I explored two very easy caves with family guides. I didn't enjoy it and I'll never do it again. My parents took my siblings and me to Mammoth Cave a few times when we were kids. I may visit it again someday.

Stuff like this terrifies me:

Not for me, and I love to do exploring stuff. If I can’t stand up and walk in, I’m going pass.

I went down a YT rabbit hole of caving once and found it fascinating, but also saw the nutty putty story and said I’ll stick with hiking above ground.

John Candy No GIF by Laff

Jesus fkn Christ

That kid died in the worst way possible. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Been doing project caving (exploration, survey, mapping) for 45 years now, mostly in central and eastern Kentucky, but also in West Virginia and Tennessee. Took part in a caving expedition to Costa Rica in ‘89

As a far younger man, my buddies and I would go explore Wind Cave around McKee back when it was open to the public. I generally enjoyed. However, there was one room (the Cathedral?) where you had to low crawl on your belly for about 100 yards before you came into a giant room that opened up like, tada, a cathedral.

It was beautiful once you got there but I could not take being in the middle of a line of guys crawling on their bellies in a hole in the dark. Inevitably someone in front would get stuck and the whole line would cease up. Felt like a trapped animal. Nope.

There was a corkscrew in Wind Cave like the one in the video above. I stuck my head down into just to see. I was young and skinny back then and I had to almost pull my shoulders out of socket to make the first break. Again -- nope.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT