ADVERTISEMENT

Sounds like Hurley has no interest

He IS losing quite a bit of talent on this team.. probably his 4 or 5 best players. In that regards, it kind of would be the best time to parlay this isn't a huge pay day in a football conference.

Hurley is always going to be a threat in March, but these last two years might have been his best shot to win titles.

I believe title teams are finding that almost random mix of talent, basketball IQ, and winning mentality in not only your starters, but also your bench. No guarantee he can put that together again, almost a brand new team (which wasn't the same as going into this year), and compete for a final4, let alone a title. He's going to start to draw highly talented guys, but those are also the guys who want to go to the NBA asap (he recruited Flagg).

It's not easy to sustain success in this sport. No coach has really proven they can stay at a dominant level like this, with largely different teams since.. well.. Cal in his first few years, and maybe Pitino before him. Jay Wright couldn't do it. Coach K couldn't do it. Self couldn't do it. It's just so extremely tough to build a championship roster year after year.
I agree with all of that. But if he looks at it, he's got a much better chance of making a final four next year at UConn than he does coming to a brand new place and certainly starting from the ground up (in terms of next years roster construction). I'll definitely come back and say I'm wrong if he somehow becomes the next UK coach. But he was point blank asked about it and said he wants to make a three year run at UConn. To me, there is zero chance he comes here. And I for one, am happy about that. I hate UConn. I don't want their coach to come rescue UK from mediocrity. Let's get someone else and beat him... Instead of just joining him. That's weak as hell.

From Ben Roberts —

“The 51-year-old coach was specifically asked if he intended to be back at UConn next season and if he could say that he would not be entertaining any conversations with any school that might have a job opening up the following day.

Hurley laughed out loud on the podium in Phoenix.

“Yeah, yeah, yeah,” Hurley said, still laughing. “I don’t think that’s a concern.”

“We’re going to dive in and put together a roster that can play a comparable level of basketball to the one that you guys have witnessed the last two years,” Hurley said. “That’s, I know, what our mindset will be. We’re gonna be focusing on trying to put together a three-year run. Not just a two-year run.”

F.
Lol. They all say that right before they leave.

I personally think you're dreaming. I hear what you are saying... But saying something as demonstrative as I want to make it a three year run... Might as well be Tebow saying let's run it back.
Calipari just sat next to his AD a little more than a week ago where both were proclaiming he was back and he was all in 24/7 to put in the work for Kentucky

I'm not saying Hurley is coming here, but you can't take anything that's said as fact until contracts are signed.

I didn't imply, you inferred. Don't do that. You're too stupid to pull it off.
Your opinion is less than meaningless to me, so I'm not mad. Just wondering if you ever were a UK fan, genuinely. Because the truth is I can be chill with any real UK fan. Differences of opinion within a fanbase are fine. I only get mad on here when I sense that there are people who are trolls from other schools or Cal lackeys.

So will Kentucky with our new coach buddy we will be back so enjoy your little run. It won’t last long UK will be back to being UK before long.

They have won 6 titles in 25 years under 3 coaches. Uconn is more than a little run at this point. As for Hurley himself, don't see him stopping at 2.

Reactions: Canucky
They have won 6 titles in 25 years under 3 coaches. Uconn is more than a little run at this point. As for Hurley himself, don't see him stopping at 2.
I never saw this UConn nightmare coming. It was bad enough in the early Cal years when he couldn't beat them. Now they've kept it up with no signs of slowing. Precisely why as a fanbase we need to demand greatness moving forward. No more ineptitude.

Reactions: CarolinaCatsFan
Your opinion is less than meaningless to me, so I'm not mad. Just wondering if you ever were a UK fan, genuinely. Because the truth is I can be chill with any real UK fan. Differences of opinion within a fanbase are fine. I only get mad on here when I sense that there are people who are trolls from other schools or Cal lackeys.
If you think I'm a troll, you are crippled too high for crutches. I have been completely honest at all times. I supported our coach until a couple of weeks ago. I don't care what you pitchfork and torch carrying , McCarthy hearing having Richard's think about it. Now go to school little one. Let grown-ups talk.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood2.0
Calipari just sat next to his AD a little more than a week ago where both were proclaiming he was back and he was all in 24/7 to put in the work for Kentucky
That's fair obviously. Call me a nut, I guess I just believe Hurley more in this situation. More off the cuff, not a scripted as that little two man show was. I also don't see any reason why Hurley would want to leave. Oats had a better chance at leaving his situation at a football school... And didn't.

Reactions: CarolinaCatsFan
If you think I'm a troll, you are crippled too high for crutches. I have been completely honest at all times. I supported our coach until a couple of weeks ago. I don't care what you pitchfork and torch carrying , McCarthy hearing having Richard's think about it. Now go to school little one. Let grown-ups talk.
I just want a coach who can do better than 1 ****ing tournament win since 2019. If you're good with that then you're not the kind of fan we need in our base. So I'm cool with you dissociating yourself from us. Bye!

I just want a coach who can do better than 1 ****ing tournament win since 2019. If you're good with that then you're not the kind of fan we need in our base. So I'm cool with you dissociating yourself from us. Bye!
Can you read!? You moronic tantrum throwing child. I have said repeatedly that I'm not happy! I'm done with Cal and ready to move on. Man are you stupid.

Can you read!? You moronic tantrum throwing child. I have said repeatedly that I'm not happy! I'm done with Cal and ready to move on. Man are you stupid.
The whole basis for our argument was that you think people are idiots for thinking we can do better than Cal. That's what I'm arguing. YOU'RE moving the goalposts.

Look. I wanted him gone after this latest debacle. But you guys crack me up. He was openly derisive because he was under attack, and he's not a wuss little beta. You want a coach who just takes it? Most coaches are alphas who will fight back.
Face it, Kentucky is a great job, in a major conference, with a huge, passionate fanbase...who are buttholes.
We will likely have to go thru another Billy Clyde before we get a homerun hire.
All of the genius list makers, who thought we could get literally anybody we wanted are flailing and blaming now.
You don't leave first until second is open. It wasn’t. Now hope for the best with Drew or Pope. More than likely. I hope I'm wrong.
Pope does coach a pretty exciting style. Lotsa 3s.
Most coaches who are "alpha", don't have to bullshit their way thru life. Just because Cal had fight when it came to the fans doesn't mean the media backed down. Opposing coaches already had his number.

We needed the split. With the split it's time to dig deep and gut it out. We may not have perfect timing here, but there is NO perfect timing. We were watching a door for what... two weeks when Cal was hired? A live cam feed of a door....

We'll get who we're meant to get. It's a process. This isn't a young program and a LOT of coaches aren't a good fit for what we want or expect. Some got good things going where they are. No one wants to get out of bed before they planned to on their first day off.

A LOT of the names being thrown around were not going to happen. Wishful thinking is nice, though. Shoot for the moon because we're Kentucky. I get it.

I like the Seton Hall coach, Halloway...? Drew has a good resume. Donovan. Wright.

Drew likely won't leave Baylor.

Hurley would be nuts to leave UConn when they are an ESPN (Bristol, CT) and NCAA darling for the past 20 years. Officials never cut their opponents any slack. It's a gold mine right now and they're going to get richer.

Oats appreciates this program, but likes being the upstart and underdog of sorts, even though his team wasn't the underdog when playing Cal for a couple years now. Didn't see him leaving there

Wright's not interested, even though he's been complimentary of the program and fans.

We may NEED to go through 1-2 yrs like the years preceeding Cal before we find the best situation/fit. I'm prepared for that, but wish we hadn't wasted this past year. We might have had our pick of quite a few coaches if we didn't wait one more year, but it didn't work out that way.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood2.0
We needed the split. With the split it's time to dig deep and gut it out. We may not have perfect timing here, but there is NO perfect timing. We were watching a door for what... two weeks when Cal was hired? A live cam feed of a door....

We'll get who we're meant to get. It's a process. This isn't a young program and a LOT of coaches aren't a good fit for what we want or expect. Some got good things going where they are. No one wants to get out of bed before they planned to on their first day off.

A LOT of the names being thrown around were not going to happen. Wishful thinking is nice, though. Shoot for the moon because we're Kentucky. I get it.

I like the Seton Hall coach, Halloway...? Drew has a good resume. Donovan. Wright.

Drew likely won't leave Baylor.

Hurley would be nuts to leave UConn when they are an ESPN (Bristol, CT) and NCAA darling for the past 20 years. Officials never cut their opponents any slack. It's a gold mine right now and they're going to get richer.

Oats appreciates this program, but likes being the upstart and underdog of sorts, even though his team wasn't the underdog when playing Cal for a couple years now. Didn't see him leaving there

Wright's not interested, even though he's been complimentary of the program and fans.

We may NEED to go through 1-2 yrs like the years preceeding Cal before we find the best situation/fit. I'm prepared for that, but wish we hadn't wasted this past year. We might have had our pick of quite a few coaches if we didn't wait one more year, but it didn't work out that way.
Good post.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if we make the wrong move first, and then the right move a couple/few years later. That's been the pattern. It's going to suck. But things weren't working. Cal was done here. For the nuthuggers reading, I ALWAYS cheered for our team in EVERY damn game. I didn't care if I'd have to hear some kind of smarmy Cal lecture afterward. I want UK wins. Period. It just hasn't been happening enough, especially when it matters most.

The whole basis for our argument was that you think people are idiots for thinking we can do better than Cal. That's what I'm arguing. YOU'RE moving the goalposts.
That isn't at all what I said. My point was that for all the greatness that comes with being the coach at Kentucky, there is a very passionate, hard to get along with fanbase. Or buttholes. People yelled at Tubby's wife at Kroger. They put for sale signs in his yard. They go after Cals family. Some folks are just dicks! These things ultimately DO effect who we get.

Reactions: Canucky
That isn't at all what I said. My point was that for all the greatness that comes with being the coach at Kentucky, there is a very passionate, hard to get along with fanbase. Or buttholes. People yelled at Tubby's wife at Kroger. They put for sale signs in his yard. They go after Cals family. Some folks are just dicks! These things ultimately DO effect who we get.
Sure but do you really think that doesn't happen at KU, UNC or wherever if things aren't going well?

I've said to my wife and friends many times that there is no amount of money you could pay me to do jobs like coach a blue-blood basketball/football program. I'd probably die within a week from the stress. I admit that it's hard.

That simply doesn't change the calculus when it comes to who's best for the job at any given moment. If someone is burnt toast, like Cal has been here since 2019, then unfortunately it's as simple as that. He's done.

Sure but do you really think that doesn't happen at KU, UNC or wherever if things aren't going well?

I've said to my wife and friends many times that there is no amount of money you could pay me to do jobs like coach a blue-blood basketball/football program. I'd probably die within a week from the stress. I admit that it's hard.

That simply doesn't change the calculus when it comes to who's best for the job at any given moment. If someone is burnt toast, like Cal has been here since 2019, then unfortunately it's as simple as that. He's done.
Yes, of course, he's done. No argument. But the arrogance of thinking we can have whoever we want is looking way off. The many lists that popped up? C'mon. A coach having success somewhere for 5 mil a year is still rich. And he doesn't have to deal with us.
I'll be shocked if we don't end up with an up and Comer, or a has been. Maybe it'll work this time.

Most coaches who are "alpha", don't have to bullshit their way thru life. Just because Cal had fight when it came to the fans doesn't mean the media backed down. Opposing coaches already had his number.

Cal placated the fans for years. Said the right things as long as the going was good. As soon as he saw some adversity (of his own making) he started to throw other people under the bus. You're right. That's not Alpha behavior. Neither is throwing jabs at people that aren't in the room.

Alpha behavior is accepting responsibility, not making excuses, not dividing the community, and adapting to situations. Cal did the opposite. He waffled, made excuses, threw his team and the fans under the bus, pitted the players against the fans, and doubled down on sht that was proven NOT to work under his leadership.

That doesn't even count putting his players in REALLY BAD positions strategically, instead of playing to their strengths and rewarding doing the right things over potential.

In sales and marketing, maybe Cal was an Alpha. On the court, he was non-factor if not a hindrance. It's tough enough to overcome poor and criminal officiating, injuries to key players, and off nights where shots aren't falling. Combine that with a coach that ignores half of the best and most appropriate tools in his toolbox, doesnt look at players so much for fit as draft potential, and you've got a ton more to overcome than most.

-Poor daily habits become exacerbated under stress.
-If you're breaking down someone else to build them back up, you can't do the rebuild and ignore any of the fundamentals.
-You don't leave UK basketball for another program unless you've really sht the bed at UK, and have ZERO clue or desire to do better.

Cal was shadow boxing to divert the attention from his poor decision making

Reactions: CatPatrick13
Yes, of course, he's done. No argument. But the arrogance of thinking we can have whoever we want is looking way off. The many lists that popped up? C'mon. A coach having success somewhere for 5 mil a year is still rich. And he doesn't have to deal with us.
I'll be shocked if we don't end up with an up and Comer, or a has been. Maybe it'll work this time.
I'm glad that we could come to a truce on this. Apologies for previous disagreements here.

its crazy that Rob Lanier getting fired at SMU set off a chain of events that led to Kentucky hiring a new coach.

How fans see the UK job:
16-facts-about-cinderella-disneys-cinderella-1693734936.jpg

How the candidates see the job:
Ugly_Stepsisters_Cinderella_Disney.jpg

Were there fans around here shitting on the UK coaching job when Cal was turning down more money from Fed-Ex Memphis to coach Kentucky?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT