ADVERTISEMENT

Sophomore Reed

LXWildcat

Sophomore
Nov 25, 2023
Right now he’s projected as a lottery pick, but is there a scenario where he returns to maybe try to play himself into a top 3 pick? It’s not a long shot, it’s quite obvious Reed is the best freshman on the team and potentially the nation.

Reactions: ukdaven
I dont pay enough attention to know he's obviously better than any other freshmen in the country. I think he's the one guy that may come back.

Reactions: fbrent1972
Tankathon has him going in the lottery. Not sure that counts as “he’s projected in the lottery.” Most services have him in the early 20s and some don’t have him on the board.

Personally I would love to have him stay and I would love to have him go in the lottery although obviously that would be bittersweet.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Tankathon has him going in the lottery. Not sure that counts as “he’s projected in the lottery.” Most services have him in the early 20s and some don’t have him on the board.

Personally I would love to have him stay and I would love to have him go in the lottery although obviously that would be bittersweet.
People will ask what he stands to gain by returning from a draft level, and I think he could solidify himself in the lottery with a second year. Right now, he's probably in the 20s.

If he played 35 minutes/game next year, he could lead the nation in assists, prove that he can be a fulltime NBA point guard and not a journeyman combo guard, and become SEC player of the year. With Quaintance, Fland, and perhaps Edgecombe or Peterson, he'd have enough weapons to contend for a national title.

If Filipowski can turn down top 20 pick status, so can Sheppard, who has a much higher emotional investment in Big Blue Nation than any recruit we've had here, perhaps in the history of our program.

Reed will be back for a second year if we don't win the title.

Hopefully our big three next year is Sheppard, Edgecombe, and Quaintance. I guarantee you that's what the coaching staff is hoping for, too.
He is built to be MVP of the National Championship game of the NCAA Tournament because the person that taught him to play WAS the MVP of the National Championship Game. How many times was this brought up at the dinner table. He will at least get one before he goes plus his NIL will be outrageous. He is not going without one. He probably gets 2 to tie his dad.

Go Cats!

There’s no financial reason for him to return. He’s a surefire first rounder.

But he’s the one guy that will consider far more than the financial in making his decision.

Reactions: mailman85
If he’s lottery id be shocked if he’s back. If he’s bottom half first round then he might. He’s worth a lot in NIL.

Yës, there is a scenario where that happens. No, it is not happening.

If he does leave then the I want Homegrown Kentucky guys that love Kentucky instead of going One and Done are going to have a fit .
If he does go I really hope it shuts those people up for good. High profile kids just don't care about college basketball like they used to. It's a way to get them to the NBA and that's about it.

If he's a lottery pick he'd be crazy to come back and risk injury. Strike while the iron's hot as the say.
But you don’t know where you will be drafted. Whittmore was projected 5-8 and went 20. Tyty dropped a lot the year prior. Maybe you can estimate it +/-5 spots, but big difference in 10 and 20.

Reactions: BlueSince92
The only thing that keeps Reed Sheppard at UK for another season, IMO, is the fact that he isn't 6'5" and in the NBA, I question who he guards.

Reactions: Samurai Cat
The only thing that keeps Reed Sheppard at UK for another season, IMO, is the fact that he isn't 6'5" and in the NBA, I question who he guards.
But if he’s projected lottery if these are the big questions marks on Reed wouldn’t it make sense to leave ? Why return another year so scouts can find something else negative .

But if he’s projected lottery if these are the big questions marks on Reed wouldn’t it make sense to leave ? Why return another year so scouts can find something else negative .
That is a reasonable thought, since that is what the NBA does with most guys who return.
But, I think the area he could improve in is to prove he can lead the team as a PG (although Cal may play Fland there), or show he can be "the guy" offensively and be effective when the defense focuses on him, and lastly show that he can defend bigger or quicker guys other than taking chances.

I think he is the one player under Cal who will listen more to his parents on making this decision than to Cal. I could even see Cal saying to the 3 of them, "here is what my sources are saying about Reed, let me know what you all decide", and not try to sway him.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
There’s no financial reason for him to return. He’s a surefire first rounder.

But he’s the one guy that will consider far more than the financial in making his decision.
Going in the first round isn't the end-all-be-all. Some of those guys play in the Dev-League initially. Look at Tyty. I think it more important to position yourself so that you play in the league enough to show you can contribute and earn that 2nd contract.

This is Reed’s only year at UK. Enjoy him while you can!
I get why people say that.

These numbers are not accurate, but rather for illustrative purposes.
But if after just 1 year you have a 60% chance to be drafted AND stick in the league,
OR a if by waiting one more year (making half as much in NIL as would in NBA), have a 70% chance to be drafted AND stick in the league.

I think it is a reasonable thought to take option B. I'm not saying he will (or won't), just that is is a reasonable possibility. Personally, I would put the probability close to 50% (say 30-70%) that he returns.

Right now he’s projected as a lottery pick, but is there a scenario where he returns to maybe try to play himself into a top 3 pick? It’s not a long shot, it’s quite obvious Reed is the best freshman on the team and potentially the nation.
IMHO, Reed Sheppard will choose his immediate future to fit his preference. Anyone with their eyes open can see he is the most NBA ready player on our team. He already has a pro game on both ends of the floor. If he feels ready for the NBA, he is a 1st round draft choice. If he wants another year of college ball, he will be all SEC and probably AA next year. I won't presume to guess which he picks. BTW, Reed is a textbook example for how a great high school player can be hugely underrated. Travis Perry is another example, but not because he lives in Kentucky. They are just examples of popular online biases of the day. And not because they are Caucasian, which is completely beside the point. I am talking about something completely different, evaluation of talent.

Last edited:
Reactions: HagginHall1999
If he does go I really hope it shuts those people up for good. High profile kids just don't care about college basketball like they used to. It's a way to get them to the NBA and that's about it.

It won't. They are delusional.

That said, hope we can pay him enough to stay. If he stays it's due to money. He's a human like the rest of us.

I feel 90% confident Sheppard is back for another season if UK doesn’t win the title. His situation ain’t like everybody else’s. Maybe not, but I have a strong feeling for probably stupid reasons.

Reactions: OG_Kat96
IMHO, Reed Sheppard will choose his immediate future to fit his preference. Anyone with their eyes open can see he is the most NBA ready player on our team. He already has a pro game on both ends of the floor. If he feels ready for the NBA, he is a 1st round draft choice. If he wants another year of college ball, he will be all SEC and probably AA next year. I won't presume to guess which he picks. BTW, Reed is a textbook example for how a great high school player can be hugely underrated. Travis Perry is another example, but not because he lives in Kentucky. They are just examples of popular online biases of the day. And not because they are Caucasian, which is completely beside the point. I am talking about something completely different, evaluation of talent.

Ja Morant was unranked and recruited by one D-I school, lol.

I feel 90% confident Sheppard is back for another season if UK doesn’t win the title. His situation ain’t like everybody else’s. Maybe not, but I have a strong feeling for probably stupid reasons.

If I had to bet, he will be back next year.

Reactions: Col. Angus
Going in the first round isn't the end-all-be-all. Some of those guys play in the Dev-League initially. Look at Tyty. I think it more important to position yourself so that you play in the league enough to show you can contribute and earn that 2nd contract.
Financially it is. And the nil money will continue in the NBA.

My company uses 2 current UK players in advertising and 1 former.

Reed is one of them. We plan to continue a relationship with him for many years. Whether he’s here or elsewhere.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT