ADVERTISEMENT

Somerset

On the PI. If a defender prevents or interferes with a receiver from having an "opportunity" to make a play on the ball its interference.

That is how NFHS rules phrase it. Rules vary at different levels.

Tough, tough situation for the defender on that play. But call on PI was correct on one.

[laughing] At people complaining about mayfield recruiting and celebrating somerset winning because mayfield takes kids from the county. I guarantee you there are a few kids in Somerset’s team who live in the southwestern or pulaski county districts. Who gives a s***? If they’re following the same rules as any other student (or even if they aren’t), I couldn’t care less

It wasn’t a blatant PI, there was contact but both players jumping for the ball. Mayfield player didn’t grab him or anything.
It was a tough call, imagine having to decide everybody’s fate for a seasons worth of effort in a second. The ref was probably being cautious and calling PI was a redo, tough call but it still gave Mayfield a chance too.

That rule is basically for 50-50 balls. You cannot go through the receiver to get the ball. That's why it's called pass interference. That was blatant pass interference.

Unless there was something before the last minute that was not pass interference. If anything the WR tried to go through the DB, the DB that has just as much right to the ball as the WR. The DB has a right to his position, and he was there first.

Reactions: zcats
It was a tough call, imagine having to decide everybody’s fate for a seasons worth of effort in a second. The ref was probably being cautious and calling PI was a redo, tough call but it still gave Mayfield a chance too.

It was a bad call. Period. You don't give teams second chances, you call it the way it is. Bad calls happen. Shouldn't have happened in a state championship game though, those officials are supposed to be selected because they are good officials. But sometimes politics gets in the way, just as it does in every facet of life. But most times the fans (and teams) are too partisan to see it as it happened.

Last edited:
That rule is basically for 50-50 balls. You cannot go through the receiver to get the ball. That's why it's called pass interference. That was blatant pass interference.
No it wasn’t the receiver jumped into the defender. So it wasn’t blatant. Tough call either way. Mayfield needed to get that first down and it wouldn’t have happened. Exciting way to win a game and and even more heartbreaking way to lose a game!

Reactions: jauk11
No it wasn’t the receiver jumped into the defender. So it wasn’t blatant. Tough call either way. Mayfield needed to get that first down and it wouldn’t have happened. Exciting way to win a game and and even more heartbreaking way to lose a game!
I didn't see any interference either. It looked like the defender went to a position and jumped for the ball. The receiver ran into him jumped and fell down. The defender never touched him with his hands and did not initiate contact. No interference to me.

Reactions: JacksonPurchaseCat
It was a bad call. Period. You don't give teams second chances, you call it the way it is. Bad calls happen. Shouldn't have happened in a state championship game though, those officials are supposed to be selected because they are good officials. But sometimes politics gets in the way, just as it does in every facet of life. But most times the fans (and teams) are too partisan to see it as it happened.
I’m not a fan of Somerset and it’s a bad call in your opinion only, I can see both arguments as it’s subjective.

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch than Mayfield. They've been cheating ("recruiting") for years.
Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch than Mayfield. They've been cheating ("recruiting") for years.
You have absolutely no idea what your talking about. I'm from a rival school of Mayfield and respect what they do every year. They just reload every year, they don't have anywhere to recruit. They run the same offense, although simplified, from little league through high school. Everyone in the area wants to beat them, very few do. Also, Most years Graves Co. has a good year. What's odd is there's tremendous cheating going on in metro Louisville and Northern Kentucky but you here very little about that, and you have the gual to accuse Mayfield. Odd how some of the players in Louisville actually live in Indiana and players in Northern Ky may live in Boone, Kenton or Campbell and play where ever they want.

You have absolutely no idea what your talking about. I'm from a rival school of Mayfield and respect what they do every year. They just reload every year, they don't have anywhere to recruit. They run the same offense, although simplified, from little league through high school. Everyone in the area wants to beat them, very few do. Also, Most years Graves Co. has a good year. What's odd is there's tremendous cheating going on in metro Louisville and Northern Kentucky but you here very little about that, and you have the gual to accuse Mayfield. Odd how some of the players in Louisville actually live in Indiana and players in Northern Ky may live in Boone, Kenton or Campbell and play where ever they want.

Dude is a sour grapes idiot quit trying to convince him.

It wasn’t a blatant PI, there was contact but both players jumping for the ball. Mayfield player didn’t grab him or anything.
Pause it and use your finger to slow it down. He absolutely puts his hands on him and holds him as he jumps for the ball. He knew the receiver had inside position and had to do something. They blew it on the next play.

You’re saying the ref cheated for Somerset? Wow, that’s ballsy or just stupid.

You’re saying the ref cheated for Somerset? Wow, that’s ballsy or just stupid.

lol.

To start with the ref didn't make the call, it was the side judge. We also had a back judge in high school to help in the passing game in particular, the first high school Assn to do so. They should have had one for a playoff game, but it was the Field Judge or Head Linesman that threw the flag. The Ref shouldn't have even seen what went on, he has other duties.

It was a judgement call, and a fairly close one, I didn't mean to infer that anyone cheated. I have refereed a thousand high school games and I have probably seen hundreds of "bad" calls in that time, but NEVER did I think the official intentionally cheated, officials take pride in their work and are challenged to get it right, it really is a game in a game.. A lot of the obviously bad calls I corrected, but not unless it was obvious and I was positive, and usually at the lower levels. And no, officials aren't perfect, me included, a tough job.

Here is the rule, high school only, and the rules are different at different levels, not sure how it reads at the college or pro level, Rule 7-5-11a reads: "When two opposing eligible pass receivers making a simultaneous and bona fide attempt to catch or bat a ball and there is unavoidable contact it is not a foul, the defender and receiver both have an equal right to attempt to gain possession of the ball."

Notice that they call the DB a receiver in their wording, and he is. That was a "bad" call IMO, not a terrible one, lots of latitude there, and if he hadn't called a PI I am sure the Somerset fans would have thought he cheated by not calling it, and it could have gone either way with no cheating in mind. I am sure the official used his interpretation of the rule and the actions of the players.

I thought the DB had his place on the field, and wasn't moving toward the receiver when the contact was made, maybe retreating a little if anything, and he jumped for the ball, (a "bona fide attempt"?) not at the receiver. Actually I don't think either one of them could have caught the ball, and another rule I think officials follow to some extent is that if it isn't an obvious foul it is probably best to let it go. I have often heard that you could call holding on every play, and what an exciting game that would be. Actually had an umpire call holding almost every play in a high school varsity game until I got on him about it a little.

I played against the Somerset Briar Jumpers in high school, I would rather a team from my area win if possible, I was glad to see the eastern teams win their games. The best philosophy is that a "bad' call against your team is just another bad break, like a fumble is. And if you are really pulling for a team that "bad call" might have been the correct call, you often see what you want to see.

Every football fan should try officiating, it might give you a new perspective on it, and a FEW of you might be really good at it. You have to be excellent and spend a lot of time at it to have a chance at the SEC level, it isn't something they would give up lightly and they couldn't 'fix" a game by them selves, they make big bucks. You need to have a VERY thick skin and start fairly young though, it is a long haul.

Last edited:
Our team went to Mayfield long long time ago and had an undefeated team. Have since moved around in classes but it wasn't a pleasant experience. Not only lost the game but had several of our fans taken to their jail. Only time that has ever happened.

But, that was a bad call on the young man. He was jumping for the ball just like the receiver. Wonder where the dude is from that made the call? That normally would not be called. Also, understand you have bad refs and bias refs. He was one of the two.

Pause it and use your finger to slow it down. He absolutely puts his hands on him and holds him as he jumps for the ball. He knew the receiver had inside position and had to do something. They blew it on the next play.

Yes I said there was contact but the receiver ran into him. Mayfield defender had his position and might have taken a half step up before going to leap for the ball. He put his hands on him before jumping straight up for the ball, he didn’t push him nor impeded his ability to also jump for the ball. Somerset player was on the move and created the contact Moreso than mayfields player. The fact you have to slow this down to even see that little bit is just another reason that call shouldn’t have been made. The ref didn’t have the luxury to slow the play down.

Somerset earned the victory with 2 outstanding plays. The one with 9 seconds to go to even put them in the position to throw to the end zone and the final play to win it. Still a bad PI call nonetheless but hats off to Somerset for winning the game in the fashion they did.

[laughing] At people complaining about mayfield recruiting and celebrating somerset winning because mayfield takes kids from the county. I guarantee you there are a few kids in Somerset’s team who live in the southwestern or pulaski county districts. Who gives a s***? If they’re following the same rules as any other student (or even if they aren’t), I couldn’t care less
Yea lol Somerset recruits its ass off. Southwestern and PC do the exact same thing. It adds to the rivalry. I'm just glad Somerset brought a title back to the city.

No, he just knocked him down. I was a HS official for over 20 yrs. That is PI everytime.

The receiver ran into the defender and made as much contact with him as did the defender with him. I guess in your officiating world the defender has zero right to any spot on the field. Defender merely had his hands on him as they met at the spot to jump for the ball and the defender jumped straight up. Pretty minimal contact as well, no extension of the arm pushing him down so the receiver fell on his own accord from being off balance from the minimal contact he helped initiate. Bang bang play so I beg to differ that is PI every time.

Edit: I just watched this again in slow motion and the defender did not initiate any contact at all. The defender was set in his spot and started to jump for the ball and the receiver initiated all the contact. The defender has as much right to go for the ball as does the receiver. Somerset had two great plays to pull the W out but the PI was a bad call.

Last edited:
Happens ALL the time ! Kids hop from school to school and everyone turns a blind eye to it.
It's sports after all....................................:flush:

Reactions: ekywildcat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT