ADVERTISEMENT

Someone refresh my memory on Herro/Langford

Lets see. Every scouting report has/had Langford as the higher rated player. Every mock draft has Langford as the better player. And every basketball fan not wearing a UK shirt gas Langford as the better player.

But somehow Herro is the better player.

Reactions: kl40504
One is a crafty basketball player with a high basketball IQ. The other is a selfish diva with a busted jumper who happens to be a somewhat better athlete.

Your take is on par with other legendary shit takes such as “CJ Leslie is better than Terrence Jones” or “John Henson is better than Anthony Davis.”
He is selfish because he is not here. One has the benefit of playing off of other players. One is the team by himself.

Lets see. Every scouting report has/had Langford as the higher rated player. Every mock draft has Langford as the better player. And every basketball fan not wearing a UK shirt gas Langford as the better player.

NBA, NBA, NBA. NBA projections have nothing to do with who is the better player in a lot of instances. See Anthony Bennett, Kwame Brown, etc... You have zero facts...only lame opinions.

Reactions: MegaBlue05
Please know that the NBA draft is based mostly on ability, ceiling....not necessarily performance. Hence, why we've had some 1st rounders that surprised us based upon performance. NBA may draft you & if you don't workout or meet potential they'll pee on you.

We're talking college basketball & that Herro is clearly the better player right now. You're focusing on HS rankings & NBA potential. If you're saying that Langford is a better basketball player right now than Herro then you clearly are a kid that is not experienced enough in basketball to offer an educated opinion. If you're saying that Langford is the better "prospect" then most of us would agree. But you need to note the 2 things are totally different.
And you are holding to if it is blue it is better.

NBA, NBA, NBA. NBA projections have nothing to do with who is the better player in a lot of instances. See Anthony Bennett, Kwame Brown, etc... You have zero facts...only lame opinions.
You mean on a social board that only has a persons opinion, I gave an opinion.???

Your opinion is Herro is better. Good. Mine is Langford is the better player. No big deal.

But outside this board you will be hard pressed to find anyone that would agree with Herro being the better player.

I'm convinced Langford is a bit of a head case, difficult to coach, thinks he knows better, and usually does what he wants when he gets the ball in his hands regardless of what the coach said. A guy like that, if he is channeled and coached properly, can be a valuable asset to a team. He's clearly got the skills to be special. Calipari says he wants the guys to coach themselves to a certain extent. He wants them to lead.

Having said all this, Calipari has something a guy like Archie Miller doesn't have- he has experience coaching guys with big egos. He knows how to get it done. He's the biggest ego in the room and he knows how to get guys like that to play team ball- and to actually defend. So, I say, yes, in Indiana's situation Romeo Langford is a problem, but he wouldn't be at UK. Calipari would reign him in and focus him in the right direction.

Now, it is very possible that Calipari realized some things about Langford at the U19 championships that summer. He may have seen a guy who refused to be coached. He may have also found out there was a price tag. Either way, I'm glad it all worked out as it did.

Reactions: JC43
Some people just make stuff up. You put Langford on this team and we become next level. Like it or not, Langford is much better than Herro.

If your gonna troll atleast make it plausible. Langford is trash in the NCAA. Go read the IU forums, even they will agree with that assessment. Benchwarmers for UK can shoot better than 20%.

Again, the NBA drafts on potential. There is no guarantee he will ever tap into that potential (see most Duke 5 stars for reference). They draft on potential because if the player never achieves it they can just ship him to the D league or cut him lose. He certainly hasnt tapped into that potential in college. Not to mention, your talking the NBA and everyone else in this entire forum is talking about college basketball and what has been demonstrated so far. Langford is trash compared to Herro, Cal obviously took Herro without worrying about Langford as well.

Sometimes when you think your the only 1 right in the universe and everyone else is wrong then it's time to re evaluate.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Pure ability.

If you cannot tell the difference in their skill set, you are too blue blinded.
Numbers don't lie, Herro is crushing lazy Langford in shot percentage, plus he's a far better defender. You are an obvious....well, never mind, I'm not allowed to say it, the mods don't like it when certain truths are spoken.

Reactions: rockout1
Some people just make stuff up. You put Langford on this team and we become next level. Like it or not, Langford is much better than Herro.

Please know that the NBA draft is based mostly on ability, ceiling....not necessarily performance. Hence, why we've had some 1st rounders that surprised us based upon performance. NBA may draft you & if you don't workout or meet potential they'll pee on you.

We're talking college basketball & that Herro is clearly the better player right now. You're focusing on HS rankings & NBA potential. If you're saying that Langford is a better basketball player right now than Herro then you clearly are a kid that is not experienced enough in basketball to offer an educated opinion. If you're saying that Langford is the better "prospect" then most of us would agree. But you need to note the 2 things are totally different.

Way the NBA is going now, Herro is actually the better NBA prospect. He has a hell of a jumper that is only gonna get better, plus affects the game in alot of other major areas, Langford has a mediocre jumper and is only a volume scorer in mode of a Malik Monk, who has gotta have the offense ran through him with the ball in his hands.. Even excluding attitude problems, if i am a NBA GM, i would rather have Herro over Langford, Herro is just better at this point..

Reactions: chroix
Did Tyler commit here before Langford committed to Indiana? Regardless I'm glad we ended up with Tyler as our SG instead of Langford. Langford doesn't play hard and the issues that Cal had with him and his dad during the U19 team was a sign of things to come...I think IU is seeing that now.

TH committed to UK 6-months before RL chose the Loosiers.

Reactions: rockout1
Physically, it's Langford all day long.

But between the ears, it's Herro.

Herro's attitude and basketball IQ are what makes him a great player. He is a student of the game and has incredible instincts. He's a gym rat that puts in the work.

Langford is one of probably the top 5-10 best athletes in college, but that's about it. Obviously has a questionable bball IQ and work ethic.

Give me a smart, hard working player any day of the week.

Yeah, I believe we got Herro after Cal quit recruiting Langford. Not sure who committed first but Cal quit recruiting Langford- that's a fact.

I read somewhere yesterday that Herro was 100% Joel Justus...whether that is true or not, I have no clue.

Herro decommitted from Wisconsin, and sent feelers out to blue blood programs. Duke had recently got a commitment from Cam Reddish at the time, so we pretty much had the inside track. Joel Justus may have been the lead recruiter, but I don’t remember hearing anything about it. Cal went and watched the kid scrimmage and offered him a scholarship.

Herro decommitted from Wisconsin, and sent feelers out to blue blood programs. Duke had recently got a commitment from Cam Reddish at the time, so we pretty much had the inside track. Joel Justus may have been the lead recruiter, but I don’t remember hearing anything about it. Cal went and watched the kid scrimmage and offered him a scholarship.

I think I read it on this board, so again, take it for what it's worth...someone just posted Justus convinced Cal to look at him and Cal finally agreed and then offered him immediately.

I think I read it on this board, so again, take it for what it's worth...someone just posted Justus convinced Cal to look at him and Cal finally agreed and then offered him immediately. Found it, see below...

Joel also went to bat for Tyler Herro and begged Cal for 2 months to watch him play and Cal repeatedly said no. Cal goes to see him once in person at an open gym then back for a high school game and offers. Joel's got a good eye for talent and works hard. He followed James Wiseman around the globe for 2 years and the only way we don't get him is if Memphis hires Penny. They literally hired a guy who'd never coached before beyond summer aau to coach a college to get 1 player. Joel's a good assistant and will keep getting us good players.

Reactions: coachcombs57
He is selfish because he is not here. One has the benefit of playing off of other players. One is the team by himself.

You are correct, and that is what makes your argument lame. Herro's avg is 13.3 and Romeo's is 17.3 while playing more minutes and taking more shots, because IU has to rely on him. So let's look at the stats, and remember Romeo is playing 2 more minutes a game. Herro's assists 2.3 per game, the same as Romeo, but in less minutes. To's for Herro are 1.8 and Romeo 2.2, so Herro has less To's than assists while Romeo is even. Romeo shoots better from the field at 46.2% while Herro is 44.4%. Rebounds are a slight edge to Romeo with 5.4 per game while Herro is at 4.3 but once again you have to take into consideration that Herro has a big front line that gobbles up most of the rebounds and he is playing less minutes. Where the biggest differences are is 3 pt shooting where Romeo is a dismal 23% while Herro shoots 10pts higher at 33%. Plus, Herro shoots foul shots at almost 20% better than Romeo. The other big difference is where you cannot compare stats, and that is defense and hustle. Anyone, and I mean anyone, who watches the two play will see that Herro plays his butt off and that Romeo is pretty indifferent on the defensive end. So, if you think someone is looking through blue tinted glasses because they think they would rather have Herro, than Romeo, then perhaps your red candy-striped glasses are showing because the facts don't back up your opinion.

Last edited:
You mean on a social board that only has a persons opinion, I gave an opinion.???

Your opinion is Herro is better. Good. Mine is Langford is the better player. No big deal.

But outside this board you will be hard pressed to find anyone that would agree with Herro being the better player.

Who do you want?

Player A
32mpg
17.3ppg
5.4rpg
2.3apg
.90spg
2.2topg
46%FG
23%3PFG
72%FT
265 FG shot
139 FT shot
OFF Rating 109.9
DEF Rating 97.1
-Ball Hog on a losing team

Player B
31mpg
13.3ppg
4.3rpg
2.4apg
1.2spg
1.8topg
44%FG
33%3PFG
91%FT
216 FG shot
45 FT shot
OFF Rating 114.5
DEF Rating 96.8
-Unselfish Teammate who makes others better

One is a crafty basketball player with a high basketball IQ. The other is a selfish diva with a busted jumper who happens to be a somewhat better athlete.

Your take is on par with other legendary shit takes such as “CJ Leslie is better than Terrence Jones” or “John Henson is better than Anthony Davis.”

Henson has really developed. I wish AD could be as good!

When the teammate angle fails miserably, change the talking points.

I remember ppl claiming there was a downfall in calls recruiting after the u19 bc we werent going to get Langford.

I get rival fans will never give him credit, but at some point ppl have to understand he knows what he wants. He doesn't take ppl just bc they are 5 stars. He looks for certain intangibles. Looks like he was right again.

Reactions: jameslee32
You don’t know what you are talking about. Numbers only tell part of the story.
Wasnt Shabazz Muhammad the higher rated prospect, etc etc. Too bad we passed on him, huh? What happened with his career....nothing...completely forgotten.

What's so hard about realizing Cal knows what he wants. Believe it or not he values defense too...that's why statistically his teams always rank towards the top in those categories. Langford doesnt fit there.

Hey Donkey Dewayne I thought you said Langford was the much better player and would show it in the NBA draft. Tell me who got drafted higher? Good to know you are what I thought you were...illiterate when it comes to basketball.

I’d be willing to buy the notion that Langford is the more talented player with greater potential, while Herro simply had a better, more productive year - but for the fact that the nba draft doesn’t care about production, it’s all about talent/potential/upside, and Herro just got drafted higher......

Herro is way more productive on both ends of the floor cause he has that 1 thing you cannot teach to go along with his skills. That is Heart and Romeo has none at all. He is a piss poor selfish whinny player. Herro is nothing but hustle ,heart, then talent! ANYONE thinks Romeo is better then Herro needs their head checked. I think the NBA GM's ,Presidents, and owners agree as well. Romeo lays more bricks then a Masonry Union!

It never mattered who could be the better pro or be drafted higher. UK needs kids like Herro who are BASKETBALL PLAYERS.

And Herro went higher anyway because the NBA too likes basketball players.

Langford was head case and couldn’t shoot a lick. Why on earth do we want more of that? Have we not learned.

Lanky, long, athletic, raw, can’t shoot = 5 years from now might be a basketball player.

No good to UK

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT