ADVERTISEMENT

Some things I like about DJ Wagner...

Uncle Adolph

Junior
Aug 9, 2019
We all know the story. His Dad played for Cal. Very highly ranked coming out of HS.
But I have not seen him poubt one time. Plays unselfish. By all accounts is a good teammate. Seems to root for his mates when he is on the bench.
Plays hard.
You don't always see the HS All-American kids show these attributes.

Yeah he does play hard. Fun to watch him work off the dribble. He's only going to get better. Tough Jersey point guard.

I see him being a good road game Conference player. Has a lot of DOG in him and I think he will love the away game atmospheres.

Even though you can’t blame losing to a team as crappy as UNCW on one player being out… I will say that Wagner was the player we needed most in that game. He’s our best perimeter defender. People were on his case because he isn’t quite the offensive threat that Reed and Dilly are, but that UNCW game showed why he is so important. He defends and he gets to the rim. He’s vital to this team’s chances of a deep run.

Even though you can’t blame losing to a team as crappy as UNCW on one player being out… I will say that Wagner was the player we needed most in that game. He’s our best perimeter defender. People were on his case because he isn’t quite the offensive threat that Reed and Dilly are, but that UNCW game showed why he is so important. He defends and he gets to the rim. He’s vital to this team’s chances of a deep run.
I agree … if DJ plays he more than makes up the 7 points we needed to win. I bet he gathers the team and gets us back to the unselfish play that is this team’s trademark and that style stems from him.

Reactions: mattrudd
I actually think Bradshaw would’ve helped more vs UNCW… I think Penn was very similar to them but Bradshaw prevented the layups we couldn’t stop vs UNCW. He just makes the team better on defense

Reactions: jace2012
I actually think Bradshaw would’ve helped more vs UNCW… I think Penn was very similar to them but Bradshaw prevented the layups we couldn’t stop vs UNCW. He just makes the team better on defense
Bradshaw played against UNCW. It was his first game. Played 13 minutes and had 3 points, 2 boards and one block.

he’s mentally elite for sure and has the right demeanor.

Think he’s learning how/when to finish at this level but he will.

Those teardrops in the lane can be tricky but he’s only going to get better.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
I like ALL things about DJ Wagner. If there's been one thing to knock, it's been his outside shooting. But, even that is coming along and he's not forcing the outside shots as much as he was earlier in the year. Outside of that, love his energy and aggression during games. And beyond basketball, he just seems like a genuinely awesome kid. So happy we have him!

Wagner has that quiet confidence and swagger. He knows he can get past his man on any possession, and also takes it personally when he gets beat on defense. Huge part of this team.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Good point. Good player who can drive and finish...pass...make an occasional 3. For some reason the '98 regional final vs Duke always comes to mind. I think it was Billy Packer who kept comparing Wayne Turner's ability to finish vs wojo's inability? iirc Although I don't remember much about Turner's game. Just something that stuck in my mind. Best group of guards we've had in awhile imo.

He's definitely playing more unselfish lately, not looking for his own shot. He just needs to stop missing layups and he'll be just fine.

Reactions: crawfords corner
I love his demeanor on the court.

DJ is a better finisher with his right hand, but on layups seems to want to use his left. Perhaps theres some indecision there and that's causing him to miss quite a few bunnies. Finish that with your strong hand and get fouled. Using your left hand you've already started with a weak finish. Sure, there will be times when you'll need the left handed finish, but he's too good at getting to the rim to keep missing so many bunnies.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT