ADVERTISEMENT

So where does the NCAA stand on the Cliff Alexander

I think it's pretty funny that Kansas and UNC*** fans are on a UK message board, hour after hour, day after day, trying to convince us all of their innocence- all the while shrieking that UK fans are paranoid, and/or that our school and coach are filthy cheaters.

As aggressively and persistently as their little pure angelic hearts can go.

Why?

I think it's pretty funny that Kansas and UNC*** fans are on a UK message board, hour after hour, day after day, trying to convince us all of their innocence- all the while shrieking that UK fans are paranoid, and/or that our school and coach are filthy cheaters.

Why?

I'm currently arguing for Duke ;)

Right, I was getting tired of reading your rhetoric and watching you struggle to make an argument based on pointless semantics. Can you find an article where the NCAA pronounced him guilty or even accused him of anything? If not, he was guilty by admission, so what does that say?

I'm not the one who was proclaiming anything, I simply asked for ANYONE who could back up the claim that he was cleared of wrongdoing by the NCAA. It seems to be a common fact around here, but I've yet to see anyone outside of this forum say it.

Nice deflection. Now maybe you can answer the questions. Why didn't the NCAA follow their own guidelines and require Selby to sit out the entire season or declare him permanently ineligible like they did Kanter? What was the ruling in the McLemore case?
Deflection? I have no desire or care to go back and rehash past players eligibility issues.

The NCAA has already decided on them whether to pursue, leave it alone, or punish like they already did with Selby which cost him 9 games. If your beef is with the NCAA, then write them a letter and tell them what you think of them.

My bet is you've already argued this same crap many times over in the past. Sorry not going to give you the satisfaction. You can keep hoping and praying the NCAA does something about them, but you're just going to end up in the same place you are now - frustrated that the NCAA doesn't "GET KU (and Duke, and UNC, and every other program not named UK)".

Now if you want to discuss Alexander - the subject of this thread I'll be happy to respond.

Last edited:
We don't cheat, most teams do but we don't. Other teams have to cheat just to keep up with us. If everything was fair we would get every top player, the fact we don't just proves others cheat. But in the end we get the kids that want to be apart of something special, not just a pay-out to go play at a place these kids don't care about

Signed,

Every fan of every team in every conference in the country

Reactions: khuff80
It appears that the NCAA didn't follow their own guidelines in the case of Josh Selby. Selby was found to have taken $5,757.68 in impermissible benefits before enrolling at Kansas. The NCAA required him to sit out 9 games, not the entire season as you outlined in #5 in your post.

What ever happened in the Ben McLemore case? McLemore's AAU coach claimed that McLemore's advisor, Rodney Blackstock paid him and McLemore's cousin thousands of dollars to steer McLemore toward certain agents and financial advisors. Shortly after McLemore declared for the draft, Blackstock became a certified agent and McLemore switched from the agency who was representing him and became Blackstock's first client. What was the NCAA's ruling in that case?
Obviously their dollar amount scale is different that the ncaa doc I was looking at. Regardless, the penalties are still the same. There is chance that Kansas would have to forfeit games unless it was Kansas that actually gave them the money. My assumption of the situation is that a perspective agent was trying to get in the Alexander's good graces and turned them on to this company that gives loans to perspective draftees and another agent turned it in.

As for McLemore, I don't see why a former AAU coach getting money from a runner for an agent has anything to do with Kansas. Neither McLemore nor his family received any financial benefits from Blackstock. This was a case of an AAU coach scamming to make some money off of one of his players. Both cases seem to be cases where people associated with the player were trying to make money off of the kids. What a cesspool out there.

Obviously their dollar amount scale is different that the ncaa doc I was looking at. Regardless, the penalties are still the same. There is chance that Kansas would have to forfeit games unless it was Kansas that actually gave them the money. My assumption of the situation is that a perspective agent was trying to get in the Alexander's good graces and turned them on to this company that gives loans to perspective draftees and another agent turned it in.

As for McLemore, I don't see why a former AAU coach getting money from a runner for an agent has anything to do with Kansas. Neither McLemore nor his family received any financial benefits from Blackstock. This was a case of an AAU coach scamming to make some money off of one of his players. Both cases seem to be cases where people associated with the player were trying to make money off of the kids. What a cesspool out there.

I thought Blackstock paid for a party for Ben, or something along those lines. Wasn't that what everyone was talking about when it came out he was associated with PJ Hairston?

Reactions: nookam
You sure are now. And you were arguing for UNC*** quite a bit too, weren't you?;):( Wouldn't you say that's been the focus of your posting in this thread? Or, let me guess, you're going to argue that too.

I'd say the focus of my posts is to try and get the facts out, and suppress assumptions. Whether it be posters clearly making up facts surrounding the AFAM scandal, or the Rose scandal, or the Maggette scandal, or the Bledsoe scandal, or the..., I'll call them on it. I genuinely enjoy having conversations with posters here, as long as they don't make things up.

I'd say the focus of my posts is to try and get the facts out, and suppress assumptions. Whether it be posters clearly making up facts surrounding the AFAM scandal, or the Rose scandal, or the Maggette scandal, or the Bledsoe scandal, or the..., I'll call them on it. I genuinely enjoy having conversations with posters here, as long as they don't make things up.

So the entire UNC scandal is made up?

I thought Blackstock paid for a party for Ben, or something along those lines. Wasn't that what everyone was talking about when it came out he was associated with PJ Hairston?

Paid for rooms, a birthday bash, airline tickets, and if they look, rental cars to get the party. for the friends in St Louis. There were pics of these rides on his friends accounts....since removed.

LOLROF

:D Oh, okay. So...

UNC/Williams= Innocent
Rose/Memphis/Calipari= Guilty
Maggette/Duke/K= Innocent
Bledsoe/UK/Calipari= Guilty

I'll say this. You've helped turn this into an entertaining, if aggravating, thread during the off-season when there's not much else to talk about. And the whole "tickle_swerv" thing continues to baffle me.

Reactions: Lumpy 2
Paid for rooms, a birthday bash, airline tickets, and if they look, rental cars to get the party. for the friends in St Louis. There were pics of these rides on his friends accounts....since removed.
And according to McLemore's AAU coach he got 2 cash payments of $5000.

UNC/Williams= Innocent

I'll say this. You've helped turn this into an entertaining, if aggravating, thread during the off-season when there's not much else to talk about. And the whole "tickle_swerv" thing continues to baffle me.

If we are right, bobby is Bradley Bethel, who has been described by Jay Smith as being "mentally unstable." Seems accurate to me.

UNC/Williams= Innocent

No,
AFAM/UNC = ?
Rose/Memphis = guilty
Maggette/Duke = not guilty
Bledsoe/UK = not guilty

Why?
Yes it's really funny that this KU fan has posted in and followed this ONE thread that has a subject title about one of KUs players that UK fans apparently want to see punished by the NCAA with no evidence that KU had any knowledge or control of Moms loan which is the only thing in question. And maybe 1 or two other KU fans have posted a couple times to set the record straight as well.

It's so freaking funny that's it's hillarious! A real knee slapper!!! ROFL copter and all that.

In fact it might be the most funny thing I've heard in my life. Wow, I'm absolutely exhausted from the hilarity of rolling on the ground crying from all the laughter!

Well anyway nice generalization that isn't even correct.

(**shriek, shriek! UK fans are paranoid, UK fans are paranoid, and filthy cheaters too, and filthy cheaters too. shriek, shriek!**)

Did the ncaa look into Doron Lamb's tweets about getting impermissible benefits? Or the Bledsoe allegations? OK, then. Let's not hear Kentucky fans boo hoo about being picked on. The ncaa has been consistent in handling cases of impermissible benefits. Kansas is and was in no danger of having to forfeit games.
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps you were in a coma for roughly 6 months during the summer/fall of 2010 and just never bothered to look up what happened. Eric Bledsoe never had his grades cancelled or changed. In fact after Pete Thamel's wreckless journalistic piece which ended up costing the Birmingham school district nearly $100k the only thing that came of it was a report saying they found his situation to be unusual, but the grades stood.

As for Doron Lamb, please enlighten me. What specific illegal benefit did Doron tweet about receiving. If it's what I'm thinking about, he clarified later saying he was talking about girls.... which if you know anything about Doron, that's all he tweets about.

By the way, we've yet to see if any of UNC's players were actually ineligible. We'll have to wait for the NCAA for that.

Did you not see Julius Pepper's transcript that was accidently posted online? One look at that, you would see had it not been for AFAM fake classes, he would HAVE BEEN inelgible, so that means all his four years he played on the basketball and football team would have to be forfeited. And he is just one example, the NCAA has the authority to look at all the players transcripts. All it takes is ONE player, you said that yourself in mentioning Derek Rose.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps you were in a coma for roughly 6 months during the summer/fall of 2010 and just never bothered to look up what happened. Eric Bledsoe never had his grades cancelled or changed. In fact after Pete Thamel's wreckless journalistic piece which ended up costing the Birmingham school district nearly $100k the only thing that came of it was a report saying they found his situation to be unusual, but the grades stood.

This is wrong. I linked the report earlier.

Did you not see Julius Pepper's transcript that was accidently posted online? One look at that, you would see had it not been for AFAM fake classes, he would HAVE BEEN inelgible, so that means all his four years he played on the basketball and football team would have to be forfeited. And he is just one example, the NCAA has the authority to look at all the players transcripts. All it takes is ONE player, you said that yourself in mentioning Derek Rose.

Except no it doesn't. Those classes still count towards a degree. There's been no evidence that he didn't write his papers. How is he ineligible then?

I'm not sure what you're talking about in the bold sentence.

**shriek, shriek! UK fans are paranoid, UK fans are paranoid, and filthy cheaters too, and filthy cheaters too. shriek, shriek!**

Aha! See?

I forgot about Kansas.

Kansas/Self/Ineligible Kansas players = Innocent as apple pie and blueberry muffins (and completely different from those filthy cheaters at Kentucky)
Lamb/Bledsoe/Kentucky/Calipari = GUILTYGUILTYGUILTYGUILTYGUILTY!!!!!!!!

I didn't see what you linked earlier. I read the report when it came out. I think maybe you are splitting hairs. Bledsoe did not have his grades cancelled or changed as a result of the investigation. His grades were changed (raised) by his instructor during the school year as a result of extra work, as assigned by the instructor. There is nothing out of the ordinary about that, I had plenty of instructors in nearly every phase of my education (even in graduate school) that allowed for make-up work, or to re-submit work for an improved grade.

It is sad that sports does this to us (myself included). We become so blinded by our "fan hood" that we will fight tooth and nail to defend our team.

Whether it be Cliff Alexander, Derrick Rose, Cory Maggette, or the UNC scandal....it's obvious, that shady things happened. As a Duke fan, I can admit that. However, UNC cheated for decades and will argue until they are Carolina blue in the face that nothing wrong occurred. Apparently, they are correct and EVERYONE else is wrong.

Reactions: saxonburgcat
I didn't see what you linked earlier. I read the report when it came out. I think maybe you are splitting hairs. Bledsoe did not have his grades cancelled or changed as a result of the investigation. His grades were changed (raised) by his instructor during the school year as a result of extra work, as assigned by the instructor. There is nothing out of the ordinary about that, I had plenty of instructors in nearly every phase of my education (even in graduate school) that allowed for make-up work, or to re-submit work for an improved grade.

You said:

"I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps you were in a coma for roughly 6 months during the summer/fall of 2010 and just never bothered to look up what happened. Eric Bledsoe never had his grades cancelled or changed"

No splitting hairs. I linked the report from the firm that was hired to investigate the grade changes. In their report (scroll down to the bottom of page 3) they say that the reason given for changing his grades was "not credible" and also that his grades had been changed more than any other student. But, and this is why they NCAA did not act, the school board decided that even though there was no reason/evidence that he should've had his grades increased there was also no reason/evidence he should not have had his grades increased. It was claimed that Bledsoe, as you mentioned above, did extra work to boost his grades, but no one could find this extra work. So the school board decided not to act by leaving the grades as they were. This was another counterexample to the "fact" that the NCAA is out to UK at all costs. They could've easily dragged this thing out if they didn't want Bledsoe to play for UK/hurt UK.

Jeez, Bobbi, talk about out of context deflecting BS, Bledsoe's grades are legit. They were ruled so. You are arguing over corrections made or updates to reflect additional work. That stuff was all the result of a jealous coach trying to exploit a financially challenged family and a unscrupulous reporter that seized on that infighting. Its all been completely discredited. Now if you want to discuss an academic situation, there is an academic fraud case at UNC that nobody disputes except a few fanatical UNC fans (such as yourself). The classes were not accredited but used for eligibility of student athletes. There was no jealous coach. Only a whistle blower. The NCAA does not dispute it. The NCAA is trying to crawl away from the situation on the basis of lack of jurisdiction. How fast can they crawl? Why should they have to crawl? Why doesn't UNC do the right thing?

If the UNC situation were subjected to the same scrutiny as that poor (at the time) high school kid my guess is that we would not have to suffer through your platitudes, deflection and hair splitting semantics. We'd be discussing when the UNC program will be reinstated and just how bad the UNC historical record would be decimated and you would be whining about the unfairness of it all. The NCAA would not even factor into this. UNC would have surprised us all and demonstrated the integrity that is so often discussed but never found.

What are the legal expenditures associated with this mess at UNC? Why are they even necessary? Is it because this involves more than just athletics? Is the liability associate with this crippling to UNC? If the NCAA did its job, how much damage would be done to UNC by legitimizing this scandal for all to see? How many degrees are impacted?

You said:

"I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps you were in a coma for roughly 6 months during the summer/fall of 2010 and just never bothered to look up what happened. Eric Bledsoe never had his grades cancelled or changed"

No splitting hairs. I linked the report from the firm that was hired to investigate the grade changes. In their report (scroll down to the bottom of page 3) they say that the reason given for changing his grades was "not credible" and also that his grades had been changed more than any other student. But, and this is why they NCAA did not act, the school board decided that even though there was no reason/evidence that he should've had his grades increased there was also no reason/evidence he should not have had his grades increased. It was claimed that Bledsoe, as you mentioned above, did extra work to boost his grades, but no one could find this extra work. So the school board decided not to act by leaving the grades as they were. This was another counterexample to the "fact" that the NCAA is out to UK at all costs. They could've easily dragged this thing out if they didn't want Bledsoe to play for UK/hurt UK.

So I was correct. You just admitted your earlier post was an effort to obfuscate the issue. Bledsoe did not have his grade changed as a result of the report. In fact the only person who changed it was the only person who had the authority to do so.

This is not a "counterexample" that people are out to get UK at all costs. The fact that these people (Thamel, Forde, Thayer Evans) waited until the end of the season to release this report was an effort to catch UK/Calipari in a position where they would be forced to vacate games. No similar investigation was performed on Duke/Sean Dockery who had a similar (greater) grade increase that could only be described as miraculous. In fact, if you looked at most programs over a 10 year period they will have at least one kid who's grade situation went from not qualifying to qualifying in a short period of time.

It was claimed that Bledsoe, as you mentioned above, did extra work to boost his grades, but no one could find this extra work. So the school board decided not to act by leaving the grades as they were. This was another counterexample to the "fact" that the NCAA is out to UK at all costs. They could've easily dragged this thing out if they didn't want Bledsoe to play for UK/hurt UK.

I am going to leave on this post of BS. Once the board decided the issue, there was NOTHING the NCAA could do...NOTHING! Bledsoe was gone to the NBA. How would it hurt UK to drag out any investigation that is settled and the player is already gone?

Your posts just get more stupid as they go....;

Aha! See?

I forgot about Kansas.

Kansas/Self/Ineligible Kansas players = Innocent as apple pie and blueberry muffins (and completely different from those filthy cheaters at Kentucky)
Lamb/Bledsoe/Kentucky/Calipari = GUILTYGUILTYGUILTYGUILTYGUILTY!!!!!!!!
Come on man. You're not going nearly far enough here.

Kansas Basketball - the reason the rest of the world has basketball should have all other fan bases all fall down and kiss our collective asses for giving the world such a gift. And since there is no disputing this, Kansas Basketball has a lifetime pass and can do whatever the hell they want. KU BBall is above reproach, and can never be questioned for doing anything wrong or shady E V E R !!!

Calipari/Kentucky OTOH is the scum the scum of the earth and the mere appearance of anything remotely questionable deserves to receive the immediate death penalty. And Cal deserves a life sentence in prison with no possibility of parole.

And of course once that is quickly rapped up KU should get a commitment from every blue chip recruit Cal has contacted in the next 5 classes.

Yeah I think that'll about do it. And of course all Jayhawk fans think exactly the same as I do.

Phew, feels great to finally get that off my chest.

Too far?

Last edited:
So, since he had not received any impermissible benefits after enrolling at Duke, Duke could not be held responsible for knowing. Hence it all came down to whether or not Maggette himself knew it was wrong. Imo, he knew it was wrong, but the NCAA could not prove it. Thus, Duke was cleared of any wrongdoing.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point, but are you claiming the NCAA couldn't prove that Maggette received money (which jeopardized his amateur status)?

You do realize that Maggette himself admitted under oath (via a sworn statement) to federal investigators that he did indeed receive this money. In other words the NCAA didn't have to 'prove' that Maggette received money, since it was already admitted to in a federal court, and copies of which were sent to Duke and the NCAA.

From the NCAA's perspective, I don't know how you can get more iron-clad than that.

And FWIW, during that era when a team was found to use an ineligible player, typically what happened was the school would vacate any victories in the NCAA tournament and return monies received from the tournament. They didn't typically vacate entire seasons. Doing this would have been a relatively painless step but something the NCAA was unwilling to do, IMO because it was Duke and Duke is supposed to virtuous. But by ignoring it completely, they completely screwed up whatever sense of impartiality the organization otherwise might claim to have.

Last edited:
So I was correct. You just admitted your earlier post was an effort to obfuscate the issue. Bledsoe did not have his grade changed as a result of the report. In fact the only person who changed it was the only person who had the authority to do so.

?????????????

No, what you said was NOT correct. Bledsoe had his grades changed by a teacher for reasons "not credible" according to the hired firm. The firm was not supposed to change anything. Where did you keep getting this from? What exactly are you trying to argue? At first it was that his grades were never changed, now I'm not sure. Here's what you'll see if you read up on the situation:

Concerns arose after it was revealed that Eric Bledsoe's grades in a math class were changed, possibly not correctly, which made him eligible to play at UK.

The school system hired a law firm to look into this.

The law firm found that there was no credible reason for changing his math grade (no extra work could be found by the teacher nor the school) and that also most of his other grades were changed to higher letters.

The school board voted to allow his new grades to stand, citing there was no evidence he didn't do the work, as no extra work (complete or incomplete could be found).

The next day (or maybe a few days later) the NCAA declared the case closed and Bledsoe was eligible to play.

So, as I said before Bledsoe/UK = not guilty. But his grades were definitely changed.

This is not a "counterexample" that people are out to get UK at all costs. The fact that these people (Thamel, Forde, Thayer Evans) waited until the end of the season to release this report was an effort to catch UK/Calipari in a position where they would be forced to vacate games. No similar investigation was performed on Duke/Sean Dockery who had a similar (greater) grade increase that could only be described as miraculous. In fact, if you looked at most programs over a 10 year period they will have at least one kid who's grade situation went from not qualifying to qualifying in a short period of time.

Thanks for bringing up Sean Dockery. I'd like to read about his grade changes, do you have a link? Sorry, but I'm not very good at finding these articles.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point, but are you claiming the NCAA couldn't prove that Maggette received money (which jeopardized his amateur status)?

You do realize that Maggette himself admitted under oath (via a sworn statement) to federal investigators that he did indeed receive this money. In other words the NCAA didn't have to 'prove' that Maggette received money, since it was already admitted to in a federal court, and copies of which were sent to Duke and the NCAA.

From the NCAA's perspective, I don't know how you can get more iron-clad than that.

Yes, I think you're misunderstanding what I wrote. I wrote that the NCAA didn't/couldn't prove that Maggette knew he was ineligible after accepting money from Piggie.

Per bold
Well, in the article the NCAA stated:

"The standard for that is whether either the institution knew or should have known that Maggette was ineligible, or if Maggette himself knew that -- or should have known that he was ineligible,"

So, as I mentioned, they had to show Duke was responsible, but they couldn't because he was not a member at the time, or they had to show that Maggette knew he was ineligible, went obviously they couldn't.

Thanks for bringing up Sean Dockery. I'd like to read about his grade changes, do you have a link? Sorry, but I'm not very good at finding these articles.
That's the point. You won't read about it because those articles will never be written. Outside of fansites like this You see what you want to see. That's fine. You willfully blind yourself to the arbitrary and capricious nature of the NCAA because your team has never been on the receiving end of the capriciousness. Good for you.... you just better hope it stays that way because when the worm turns it isn't any fun.

I am going to leave on this post of BS. Once the board decided the issue, there was NOTHING the NCAA could do...NOTHING! Bledsoe was gone to the NBA. How would it hurt UK to drag out any investigation that is settled and the player is already gone?

Your posts just get more stupid as they go....;

Thanks, but I'm still waiting for the article that states the NCAA cleared maggette of any wrongdoing.

Edit: Yeah, sorry, I was thinking of another response while writing that one. You are right, the NCAA wouldn't have hurt UK by dragging this out longer.

And FWIW, during that era when a team was found to use an ineligible player, typically what happened was the school would vacate any victories in the NCAA tournament and return monies received from the tournament. They didn't typically vacate entire seasons. Doing this would have been a relatively painless step but something the NCAA was unwilling to do, IMO because it was Duke and Duke is supposed to virtuous. But by ignoring it completely, they completely screwed up whatever sense of impartiality the organization otherwise might claim to have.

Yes, they could have, if they could have proven either Duke knew or should've known he was ineligible or Maggette knew or should've known. In those cases you speak of, how many of those players received or continued to received money after they started college? This would be the difference in the Duke/Maggette case.

That's the point. You won't read about it because those articles will never be written. Outside of fansites like this You see what you want to see. That's fine. You willfully blind yourself to the arbitrary and capricious nature of the NCAA because your team has never been on the receiving end of the capriciousness. Good for you.... you just better hope it stays that way because when the worm turns it isn't any fun.

Well then, how do we know it actually happened?

Well then, how do we know it actually happened?

Since when was the NCAA ever concerned about what actually happened to a member institution. No due process, remember? They can see exactly what they want to see.

Bobbi, I think you are about done aren't you? We're getting nothing but circular logic now. For example, Maggette was guilty of taking money. He turned pro in high school. The NCAA is irrelevant at that point. Duke was playing a professional ineligible player. You are not permitted to dispute this as it is a matter of sworn testimony like JP indicated. While Duke may or may not have been aware at the time, in hindsight, they cheated. Again, this is indisputable. Whether or not the NCAA vacated its role for infraction oversight, Duke if deserving of its reputation should have vacated any contest in which Maggette participated. The NCAA need not make any judgment of jurisdiction as they are not bound by due process. Essentially, Duke's out is we aren't going to come clean if you don't make us, Mr. NCAA. There is truly no honor among thieves.

UNC sits on the cusp of a similar situation. I frankly expect less of them than I do Duke as they have not put the obvious end to this. I suspect you'll be quite happy with the lack of integrity if the NCAA choses to let them off.

Does your degree depend on it?

Since when was the NCAA ever concerned about what actually happened to a member institution. No due process, remember? They can see exactly what they want to see.

Bobbi, I think you are about done aren't you? We're getting nothing but circular logic now. For example, Maggette was guilty of taking money. He turned pro in high school. The NCAA is irrelevant at that point. Duke was playing a professional ineligible player. You are not permitted to dispute this as it is a matter of sworn testimony like JP indicated. While Duke may or may not have been aware at the time, in hindsight, they cheated. Again, this is indisputable. Whether or not the NCAA vacated its role for infraction oversight, Duke if deserving of its reputation should have vacated any contest in which Maggette participated. The NCAA need not make any judgment of jurisdiction as they are not bound by due process. Essentially, Duke's out is we aren't going to come clean if you don't make us, Mr. NCAA. There is truly no honor among thieves.

UNC sits on the cusp of a similar situation. I frankly expect less of them than I do Duke as they have not put the obvious end to this. I suspect you'll be quite happy with the lack of integrity if the NCAA choses to let them off.

Does your degree depend on it?

Go back and read what the NCAA stated they had to prove in order to make Duke vacate the games. Then go read your comment again. Also, were did I say Maggette didn't take money in high school? Also, still waiting for the link that says the NCAA cleared Maggette of wrongdoing?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT