ADVERTISEMENT

So when the dust settles, do Jasper Johnson and Malachi Moreno end up at KY ?

You could fill out a div 1 roster with Ind kids in 2 years and be competitive nationally and I hate IU
Would depend on the years. IN does produce some very good talent, but not sure it's frequent enough to build a successful roster out of them. Nor does IU or Purdue get them very often.

Something else that should be noted and again, I wouldn’t look past it, is in an era where you need players to be retained and it’s harder and harder to build a cohesive team in college basketball, instate kids help bridge that gap and are more likely to stay. They can mean more for NIL deals as they’re more recognized so they’re more likely to get more here than other places. Then your building a core of the team who know what it means to play at UK, this kind of thing rubs off on other guys. It’s a great way to build team continuity.

I know exactly why coaches want it if they can get it. It’s not meaning you can always do it but you definitely try.
If we are building a core of our team from KY players, we are going to look like Campbellsville University trying to play against the Celtics.

Reactions: HYTCHYE ISLAND
Altho if they are good enough to go... bye. I thought we'd get another year from Reed

Yes naturally if they can go most will. But you might get some back. In some cases they can make more here than anywhere else including the NBA or G league.

There isn’t a perfect science to this. It can be better for team building not in every case. There is a reason coaches want in state players if they can get them, this isn’t debatable. Pope wants them too and will always try and get them, again not debatable. And it’s because of the reasons I said above.

You can’t always build your team this way but if you can to some degree in this era you want to do that.

Would depend on the years. IN does produce some very good talent, but not sure it's frequent enough to build a successful roster out of them. Nor does IU or Purdue get them very often.
No they don't, IU used to get them way more often. My point is though, if I were IU coach most years I would probably take 3-4 kids from Indiana. Ky high School All Stars aren't competitive with them last 30 years

Yes naturally if they can go most will. But you might get some back. In some cases they can make more here than anywhere else including the NBA or G league.

There isn’t a perfect science to this. It can be better for team building not in every case. There is a reason coaches want in state players if they can get them, this isn’t debatable. Pope wants them too and will always try and get them, again not debatable. And it’s because of the reasons I said above.

You can’t always build your team this way but if you can to some degree in this era you want to do that.
Well yeah of you have high caliber kids on ur state you want them, that wasn't any part of my debate.

Of course if you have high caliber players in ur state you want them. That wasn't any part of my debate. But NIL will have a hard time matching minimum wage in the NBA 1.12 Million. Plus no classes, closer to second contract and that's bigger. Alsoost players get more than the league minimum. So it's going to be almost impossible to keep Shepherds for more than a year. His family didn't even need money. They didn't live in generational poverty 😂 But I will take the Shepherds for a year

Reactions: Fox2monk
Well yeah of you have high caliber kids on ur state you want them, that wasn't any part of my debate.

Of course if you have high caliber players in ur state you want them. That wasn't any part of my debate. But NIL will have a hard time matching minimum wage in the NBA 1.12 Million. Plus no classes, closer to second contract and that's bigger. Alsoost players get more than the league minimum. So it's going to be almost impossible to keep Shepherds for more than a year. His family didn't even need money. They didn't live in generational poverty 😂 But I will take the Shepherds for a year

Sheppard you’re not keeping these days. That deal is a sealed. But there will be kids who love playing at UK, could have options elsewhere, but stay because the NIL money is as good. Or stay because the NIL opportunities are better, or stay because it’s Kentucky where they want to be.

I wasn’t saying you’re arguing my point I just threw it all in one post. I’ve always found it strange when people argue against in state kids, like it irritates them or something lol. I never knew there were people who don’t like having them.

And today I think they’re more important than ever if you can do it.

Sheppard you’re not keeping these days. That deal is a sealed. But there will be kids who love playing at UK, could have options elsewhere, but stay because the NIL money is as good. Or stay because the NIL opportunities are better, or stay because it’s Kentucky where they want to be.

I wasn’t saying you’re arguing my point I just threw it all in one post. I’ve always found it strange when people argue against in state kids, like it irritates them or something lol. I never knew there were people who don’t like having them.

And today I think they’re more important than ever if you can do it.
Well how do you feel, I will never know for sure, but I think Cal im many ways resented Reed. I don't get it, I just think some post game comments were off and he would play great and Cal would say, How about DJ! There's no explanation but I know I wasn't imagining ot

Reactions: Killswitch24
No they don't, IU used to get them way more often. My point is though, if I were IU coach most years I would probably take 3-4 kids from Indiana. Ky high School All Stars aren't competitive with them last 30 years
Ehh, IU has had a lot of IN kids in their roster for years now, many of them play in that All-star game, and IU has been below avg for the most part.

I just disagree with taking guys based on geographic locations at this point. We are UK, we should be able to build most of our roster out of high-level players we really covet, and not just taking players because they are from KY.

If we have a couple spots left over and the higher level KY players are interested in coming here knowing they may not play much if we have better options, then okay. That's how I feel about perry and noah, but I don’t expect either to be major contributors here.

Well how do you feel, I will never know for sure, but I think Cal im many ways resented Reed. I don't get it, I just think some post game comments were off and he would play great and Cal would say, How about DJ! There's no explanation but I know I wasn't imagining ot

Yea he didn’t like the Reed situation and definitely didn’t like Reed taking the spotlight away from his guys. That’s why he made sure Wagner remained the starter. So glad that clown is gone he needs to be an agent not a college basketball coach.

• Love
Reactions: kywildcat41086
Plus you know end of argument what made indiana good was Bob Knight. Who had all 5 of their championships end of discussion..

Actually he only had 3. Branch McCracken won 2 before Knight.

Indiana was very much a basketball school before Bob Knight. But they allowed him to become bigger than the program, which is why they are where they are now. In contrast, we wouldn’t allow Cal to do that.

They are both top 25 recruits that, in my opinion, would put a staple that Pope can at least recruit at a very high level and ease a lot of doubt in some peoples minds. I don’t see how in this world anybody could say they would not take either player. In Popes first couple years, it’s more than just basketball. It’s proving, in more than one way, that you are a big dog. Getting two top 25 players in your state helps that.
Not if they are money hungry and want to go follow the cash. Those kids move every yesr and are really a waste of effort. Some on here are stil n the 5 Star world and UCON proved that idea wrong. If a Kentucky kid thonks UNC or UL offers more than UK then go after someone else. If life after basketball matters the choice is easy.

Reactions: AfterschoolBBN1
Of course they have to have talent but Moreno and Johnson tick all those boxes as well.
I wasn't speaking towards them, just the idea of recruiting in-state. Both of those guys are consensus top 50(I believe.)

There's been a renaissance in talent in the state that hasn't been seen in a long time. For the next several years, I think it will be easier to recruit from the state.

Talent needs to be there or you won’t be recruited. A two star state kid is also called a walkon. But a kid good enough to play at UK who’s also from the state is a HUGE plus many times over. They do get it more and your teams are built different when they’re on the roster. I don’t think it’s even debatable from a coaching standpoint. Pope and many coaches have spoke to this very thing. Calipari didn’t because he was more interested in stacking NBA players than building cohesive basketball teams. But in state players do bring some things to the table that other kids do not. Some of it is hard to define in ways but this is something Pope has even touched on.

Also today they’re much more likely to stay which is another reason you want them.
I agree with what you are saying. However, the talent was severely lacking throughout most of the Tubby to Cal eras. That's why recruiting from the state was not as important.

Some on here are pointing at how other programs construct their roster, but fail to look at the talent level in that state. That's why the whole "cAl DoN't LiKe KeNtUcKy KiDs" frustrated me so much.

Not if they are money hungry and want to go follow the cash. Those kids move every yesr and are really a waste of effort. Some on here are stil n the 5 Star world and UCON proved that idea wrong. If a Kentucky kid thonks UNC or UL offers more than UK then go after someone else. If life after basketball matters the choice is easy.
I’m not saying we need all 5 star players. I’m saying you want a new coach that has questions to show the world he can make a splash in recruiting. It’s a statement, not necessarily a necessity.

I know the Johnson family was not happy when Mitch kicked the late Alvis Johnson to the curb about 20 years ago. Now that was a long time ago, but it warrants mentioning since Jasper is his grandson. I still think he ends up here FWIW.

Moreno, no clue.
Alvis got a pretty good hook-up around the time his two sons were heading to college. Probably shouldn’t have expected it to be a lifetime appointment.

Reactions: Titpwhami2014
I agree with what you are saying. However, the talent was severely lacking throughout most of the Tubby to Cal eras. That's why recruiting from the state was not as important.

Some on here are pointing at how other programs construct their roster, but fail to look at the talent level in that state. That's why the whole "cAl DoN't LiKe KeNtUcKy KiDs" frustrated me so much.

Yea you can’t just take anyone and try and make them part of the rotation because they’re from the state. But like with Noah, you have to take him. Look what happened when we passed on 3 star Lofton. There’s been several that we missed during the Calipari era which we needed. Plus, we need more loyalty in sports it makes it more interesting. But I agree you can’t just take them if there’s nothing to work with. My issue is Calipari didn’t want Reed in reality I think we know that. He didn’t want Perry, he didn’t want Noah. The kid at Xavier, passed. He began to literally pass or discourage recruiting these kids and they are way too good to pass up like that. Pope is going to utilize the state kids angle to get players to stay so like I said they’re very valuable in that way.

And I do find it interesting that Calipari’s only title came because of a returning, in state, 4 star. Obviously because of AD too and the rest, but it’s still true without Miller he never hangs a title banner.

You can’t go crazy in either direction but our teams under pope will be stapled by returning in state players and I think it’s great. Also it seems Kentucky has been producing better players routinely than I’m used to seeing. Maybe I’m making that up but it seems that way.

Yea you can’t just take anyone and try and make them part of the rotation because they’re from the state. But like with Noah, you have to take him. Look what happened when we passed on 3 star Lofton. There’s been several that we missed during the Calipari era which we needed. Plus, we need more loyalty in sports it makes it more interesting. But I agree you can’t just take them if there’s nothing to work with. My issue is Calipari didn’t want Reed in reality I think we know that. He didn’t want Perry, he didn’t want Noah. The kid at Xavier, passed. He began to literally pass or discourage recruiting these kids and they are way too good to pass up like that. Pope is going to utilize the state kids angle to get players to stay so like I said they’re very valuable in that way.

And I do find it interesting that Calipari’s only title came because of a returning, in state, 4 star. Obviously because of AD too and the rest, but it’s still true without Miller he never hangs a title banner.

You can’t go crazy in either direction but our teams under pope will be stapled by returning in state players and I think it’s great. Also it seems Kentucky has been producing better players routinely than I’m used to seeing. Maybe I’m making that up but it seems that way.
The kid from Xavier, Kyky Tandy was being recruited by UK, but his dad screwed it up. https://www.aseaofblue.com/2018/4/3...ball-recruiting-kyky-tandy-father-not-high-uk

Another thing is Cal is not a coach that can win with less. Kentucky kids are mostly outside of the top 50. Cal didn't typically recruit outside of the top 50.

Yea he didn’t like the Reed situation and definitely didn’t like Reed taking the spotlight away from his guys. That’s why he made sure Wagner remained the starter. So glad that clown is gone he needs to be an agent not a college basketball coach.
Totally agree an Agent would be the most perfect job for him. As much as he preaches getting the kids to the NBA that should’ve been the job he took! I’m with you I truly hate the guy and glad he’s so gone!

Reactions: Killswitch24
Totally agree an Agent would be the most perfect job for him. As much as he preaches getting the kids to the NBA that should’ve been the job he took! I’m with you I truly hate the guy and glad he’s so gone!

Bro we have been freed at last. I was to the point where I would have given Brooks a shot for real. Guy was wearing me down on purpose. It’s like he was talking directly at me in ways he knows I can’t handle.

Ehh, IU has had a lot of IN kids in their roster for years now, many of them play in that All-star game, and IU has been below avg for the most part.

I just disagree with taking guys based on geographic locations at this point. We are UK, we should be able to build most of our roster out of high-level players we really covet, and not just taking players because they are from KY.

If we have a couple spots left over and the higher level KY players are interested in coming here knowing they may not play much if we have better options, then okay. That's how I feel about perry and noah, but I don’t expect either to be major contributors here.
I think you could be wrong about those 2.

They have a much better chance to succeed at UK now that it’s not a ball dominant offense. Cal didn’t run any type of structured system. Pretty much a team of ball dominant players of non passers. Resulted in too much late clock high screen turn the corner and create on your own or pitch to a stand alone corner shooter.

Pope’s early transition, constant screening plus his pass and move will help Perry and Noah. The fast break transition 3s will fit those 2 to a tee as will the major open floor spacing. Truly a 4 and 5 out. They are both high bball iq guys with quick releases. They both can handle the ball and pass. Neither are 2 or 3 dribble only players. They are skilled players who preformed in clutch times. Good at the free throw line as well which is a nice add. I wouldn’t hesitate to say right now I’d take my chances with either at the line late.

On defense they won’t be strictly man to man so they can develop.

It’s a whole new game up there now.

Last edited:
They've also been in the conferene longer than anyone but MN. They already had 4 of those before IU, OH st or Michigan even joined the Big10. Michigan St didn't even join until 1957, by which time Purdue had already won it 13 times.

This century MSU has won it 8 times to Purdue's 5. Wisconsin has 6 in that same span, IL, OH st also have 5 each.

That's not really that impressive considering.
Doesn’t change the fact that they have the most. You keep making excuses. They are better than you give them credit for.

Reactions: Kybluedude
Doesn’t change the fact that they have the most. You keep making excuses. They are better than you give them credit for.
They have the most because of ones they won almost a century ago. I think context is kind of an important thing, not really asn excuse. Don't you think?
I think you could be wrong about those 2.
They have a much better chance to succeed at UK now that it’s not a ball dominant offense. Cal didn’t run any type of structured system. Pretty much a team of ball dominant players of non passers. Resulted in too much late clock high screen turn the corner and create on your own or pitch to a stand alone corner shooter.
Pope’s early transition, constant screening plus his pass and move will help Perry and Noah. The fast break transition 3s will fit those 2 to a tee as will the major open floor spacing. Truly a 4 and 5 out. They are both high bball iq guys with quick releases. They both can handle the ball and pass. Neither are 2 or 3 dribble only players. They are skilled players who preformed in clutch times. Good at the free throw line as well which is a nice add. I wouldn’t hesitate to say right now I’d take my chances with either at the line late.

On defense they won’t be strictly man to man so they can develop.

It’s a whole new game up there now.
Cool.

Just looking at this class and the number of guys that Pope is after, I can’t help thinking we get at least five in this class. Maybe six.

We could have five guys back, as it stands now, with Oweh, Garrison, Chandler, Perry, and Noah eligible to return. Get those five back, add five or six from the ‘25 class, and finish with two impact portal players. If Oweh and/or Garrison leave (NBA, back to the portal), then Pope will probably replace them with two more portal guys.

Johnson and Moreno, I’m hoping Coach locks up this summer. Then add three more recruits for the Fall.

I think we are looking at something like this:

G Portal/Recruit
G Johnson/Recruit/Perry
G Oweh/Chandler/Noah
F Portal/Recruit
F Garrison/Moreno

Reactions: ThroughBlue
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT