ADVERTISEMENT

SMH Coach K already reserving the region the NCAA will place him in

Surely this can’t be real.

In all my years watching CBB and the tournament, I have never once heard a committee member (or anyone) mention “well we tried to match the preferences of that school”.

If K legit did this, it’s obvious he already knows the fix is in for him.

The “entitled” and “smug” request, sure doesn’t surprise me.
A decision to grant this rather than adhere to the seeding placement of teams, which has been used for several years, would be a Very Bad Look for the NCAA.

Surely this can’t be real.

In all my years watching CBB and the tournament, I have never once heard a committee member (or anyone) mention “well we tried to match the preferences of that school”.

If K legit did this, it’s obvious he already knows the fix is in for him.
Every school who even has a shot at the overall #1 seed is asked for their preferred region and then given that region if they are, in fact, the overall #1 seed. That started about 5 years ago.

Reactions: track42
Let's be honest....nothing the NCAA does makes a lick of sense in basketball.

1. Why do you need to reach to any teams on their preferred region? Isn't it obvious the west coast team in West, East coast teams in East region, Southern teams in South and same for Midwest? ACC/SEC have some reach to multiple regions.
2. Also, the preferred region mainly applies to 1 seeds....but the 1 seeds are fluid between 7 or more teams and the same holds for 2 seeds, etc....
3. The most logical thing to do is do the snake method of seeds. The highest 1 seed should get the worst 2 seed and best 3 seed in their region, etc..all the way to all 68 teams ranked for first to worst.. The entire saga of trying to put teams closest to their region, etc... creates unbalanced regions and easier paths to final fours. So who cares if Auburn is a 1 seed and if UK lines up as 2 seed in their region using snake method....and it's two top SEC teams in a region. Let the chips fall where they be.

Coach K has a lot less influence than many think. I was shocked to hear the other night that in more than 40 years of coaching and all his accomplishments he could never get them to select him AP coach of the year. Not even ONCE. LOL

Coach K has a lot less influence than many think. I was shocked to hear the other night that in more than 40 years of coaching and all his accomplishments he could never get them to select him AP coach of the year. Not even ONCE. LOL
Well, the AP isn't the ones deciding the bracket. That's the NCAA which Coach K has absolutely a lot of pull and favor with considering everything his program has been allowed to get away with.

Let's be honest....nothing the NCAA does makes a lick of sense in basketball.

1. Why do you need to reach to any teams on their preferred region? Isn't it obvious the west coast team in West, East coast teams in East region, Southern teams in South and same for Midwest? ACC/SEC have some reach to multiple regions.
2. Also, the preferred region mainly applies to 1 seeds....but the 1 seeds are fluid between 7 or more teams and the same holds for 2 seeds, etc....
3. The most logical thing to do is do the snake method of seeds. The highest 1 seed should get the worst 2 seed and best 3 seed in their region, etc..all the way to all 68 teams ranked for first to worst.. The entire saga of trying to put teams closest to their region, etc... creates unbalanced regions and easier paths to final fours. So who cares if Auburn is a 1 seed and if UK lines up as 2 seed in their region using snake method....and it's two top SEC teams in a region. Let the chips fall where they be.
Totally agree with #3. They put way too many perimeters in place. Just got 1-68 and call it a day.

As for #1, here is what I would do:

1. The selection show reveals all the brackets, but does not haver the #1 seeds in place yet.
2. The #1 seeds are then revealed in order of the overall #1 to the Overall #4.
3. The #1 seeds then have 10 minutes to get their preferences set up. This can be based on location, perceived strength or weakness of a region, etc.
4. After 10 minutes, the 4 head coaches appear on screen and the #1 overall seed picks their region, then the overall #2, etc.

It rewards the overall #1 seed. I think it would be cool.

Reactions: Blueheart32
Is his back going to go out when they are down 15 with 3 minutes left?
Or will he just stay in the locker room at halftime if they are down double digits?

Every vampire has multiple coffins for security reasons, but they have a “home” coffin that is usually where they first slept as a nosferatu. We now know the location of K’s.

Burn it now and rid the world of his evil.

• Haha
Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Well request what venue, refs, commentary, for his ride into the sunset must be nice! Damn must be nice just to come out and just say it he isn’t even going to hide it! I hope we get those a$$holes in our bracket and we put them out of their misery!
I hope they get beat by some mid-major team with a 12-16 record that got lucky and won their conference tournament, just to get into the tournament.

It's apparent to me that the West is obviously Gonzaga's overall #1 seed region. Then Arizona appears to me to have the #1 seed in the South regional (San Antonio). That seems pretty much of a lock at this point.

Then you got Baylor, it seems to me, to be the third overall #1 seed. They win against Iowa State in Waco, if they win the Big 12 tourney, it's a for sure thing to get the 3rd or possibly even move up to the second overall #1 seed. Gonzaga / Baylor 1 /2 heading into the tourney sounds familiar, the NCAAtSC loves stuff like that.

Then the 4th #1 seed. A 30-4 Duke squad will definitely make the cut for the last #1 seed. One loss along the way, all bets are off for that, but it would appear they are headed towards a number 1 seed.

The point is : If Duke requests Chicago as a 1 seed destination, Baylor either wants the SOUTH or Midwest. Arizona surely wants West or South. All of them cant get the same region #1. So who gets the nod in this case?

To be fair, Duke should STILL end up in the EAST, imho. And maybe this request for the midwest is a smokescreen KNOWING he's more than likely staying in the EAST like he always does. Couple of games in Greensboro, then to Philly.

In all fairness to everyone, Zags should stay West, Arizona in the South, Baylor gets the Midwest, and Duke will get the East. If the selection committee doesn't do what we all expect (Duke #1, UK #2 in the East) then I can see them sticking Kansas as Duke's #2 seed in the East and having us in the Midwest as Baylor's #2 seed.

I'll take UK against any of the number one seeds this year. Most dangerous #1 seed team is Arizona. A title matchup between UK and Zona', I think, would be pitting the best 2 teams in the country. Let's hope we get that shot !

Go Big Blue !

Reactions: RunninRichie
Can you imagine what it will take to knock Duke out? They're already a legit good team. Really good. Then They'll get the biggest cake walk ever compounded with the most biased officiating of all time.

Someone will have to be at least 10 points better on that given night.

It's apparent to me that the West is obviously Gonzaga's overall #1 seed region. Then Arizona appears to me to have the #1 seed in the South regional (San Antonio). That seems pretty much of a lock at this point.

Then you got Baylor, it seems to me, to be the third overall #1 seed. They win against Iowa State in Waco, if they win the Big 12 tourney, it's a for sure thing to get the 3rd or possibly even move up to the second overall #1 seed. Gonzaga / Baylor 1 /2 heading into the tourney sounds familiar, the NCAAtSC loves stuff like that.

Then the 4th #1 seed. A 30-4 Duke squad will definitely make the cut for the last #1 seed. One loss along the way, all bets are off for that, but it would appear they are headed towards a number 1 seed.

The point is : If Duke requests Chicago as a 1 seed destination, Baylor either wants the SOUTH or Midwest. Arizona surely wants West or South. All of them cant get the same region #1. So who gets the nod in this case?

To be fair, Duke should STILL end up in the EAST, imho. And maybe this request for the midwest is a smokescreen KNOWING he's more than likely staying in the EAST like he always does. Couple of games in Greensboro, then to Philly.

In all fairness to everyone, Zags should stay West, Arizona in the South, Baylor gets the Midwest, and Duke will get the East. If the selection committee doesn't do what we all expect (Duke #1, UK #2 in the East) then I can see them sticking Kansas as Duke's #2 seed in the East and having us in the Midwest as Baylor's #2 seed.

I'll take UK against any of the number one seeds this year. Most dangerous #1 seed team is Arizona. A title matchup between UK and Zona', I think, would be pitting the best 2 teams in the country. Let's hope we get that shot !

Go Big Blue !

If Duke is the last 1 seed, they will go East. Regardless of what K wants. They aren't going to bump Baylor or Arizona if they are higher on the seed line.

But Duke isn't going to get a 1 seed. Even at 30-4 they probably don't just due to the lack of Q1 wins on their resume and the teams they'd have to jump to get there. The more interesting question becomes what if they are say the top 2 seed or the top 3 seed? Then they might indeed fulfill K's request and stick them in the MW region.

Last edited:
Reactions: runt#69
You probably shouldn't think that because they definitely will.

Yeah I'm not into the whole the NCAA is all for coach K and will do anything he asks them to do line of thinking.

If Arizona is higher than them on the seed line which they almost certainly will be, they aren't going to say well you know what Arizona, coach K really wanted that MW region so instead we are going stick you guys all the way out East.

That's not going to happen.

Reactions: king of cali
Anyone who doesn't believe the Selection Committee will do everything in their power to make it a easy path for Dook and K to make the Final Four this year, hasn't been paying attention.
He's already had nearly god-like status conferred upon him by every sports media outlet. One does not go against the word of God.
This is the reality. Over 85% of NCAA's total revenue comes from the TV deals for March Madness -- and last year was a bust due to Covid. Pretty sure the NCAA and CBS (and even some key sponsors) will be looking at the brackets and what matchups or upsets will generate the most viewership.

He’ll be choosing the refs he wants the entire way too
He made those request when he announced he was retiring. I mean why else would a guy who everyone is constantly telling us is about the team and players and not himself announce a year in advance he is retiring the following year.

K’s requesting that the baskets Duke shoots on in the NCAAT be lowered to 8 feet while he is also requesting Duke’s opponents baskets be raised to 12 feet!

My dream scenario:

Wildcats end Coach K's tenure in Regional Final game in PHILLY. The site of our toughest loss ever, 30 years ago.

Thats right, 30th anniversary of the '92 loss, and that regional final was in Philly.

Would be a great way to send Coach K home.

Reactions: RunninRichie
This is the reality. Over 85% of NCAA's total revenue comes from the TV deals for March Madness -- and last year was a bust due to Covid. Pretty sure the NCAA and CBS (and even some key sponsors) will be looking at the brackets and what matchups or upsets will generate the most viewership.
Then it's not a legit way to crown a champion. Creating drama and storylines is reality TV kind of stuff. Honestly, the tournament doesn't need artificial manipulation for all that. The sheer randomness and unpredictability of 68 teams squaring off in a single-elimination, high stakes tournament will provide plenty of organic storylines.

Reactions: The_Answer1313
He also requested his championship ring to be shipped to his new retirement villa in Sarasota. Reports are that they have already begun engraving his name on the trophy.

Reactions: Montana81
We literally got hosed in San Diego when Woden just pulled a retirement announcement out of his butt.

Ks had all year to make the stars align and sacrifice many many goats.

The NCAA will be his dirty whore until April 2.
Wooden actually came out onto the floor after an official and didn’t get a technical .

Then it's not a legit way to crown a champion. Creating drama and storylines is reality TV kind of stuff. Honestly, the tournament doesn't need artificial manipulation for all that. The sheer randomness and unpredictability of 68 teams squaring off in a single-elimination, high stakes tournament will provide plenty of organic storylines.
I agree and I will add to that. There is more parity in basketball, then any other major college sport. The teams are small with limited scholarships. Kids these days are playing on select teams and going to camps all year long. There is more talent then there are available places on a roster. What happens? There is less and less separating the elite programs from the rest of the pack. It should be a great tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT