ADVERTISEMENT

SKJ, is he any good?

He was progressing like a normal solid four-year big man does. Whoever gets him is gaining a guy who could be an excellent player.

He was just never a Cal kid. He likes the guys with a little dog in them. SKJ belongs in the ACC.

Reactions: bbn93
I don't know if Sacha be any good for whichever school he transfers to or not, but I do hope he wants better for himself than the tar holes (which would really be any other college basketball program).

Apparently I'm in the minority on this but from the little I've seen of E.J. Montgomery in Youtube clips etc., while I think he will in time be a good player, if given a choice I think SKJ as an experienced and returning Junior would be more productive for UK than E.J. Montgomery will be as a freshman.

I don't think SKJ got as much playing time as he should have this past season especially.

Also think people are putting too big of an expectation on Montgomery, who while he seems to be a skilled big man doesn't look like a physical freak that will compete well against college opposition early on (like a Julius Randle or Nerlens Noel or Bam Adebayo etc. were able to do their freshmen years.) Most big men have a slow learning curve playing in Division I and I expect the same will be true of Montgomery.
I agree with all of this so I guess I am in the minority with you. I thought SKJ showed improvement from his freshman year and he showed flashes of being a solid contributor as a junior and senior. In the old days we didnt expect a lot until their junior and senior years. North Carolina is getting a player that will help them especially after setting out a year and getting stronger.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Thank you for all of the replies. You all really know basketball. This board is far more informed than the one I typically post on.

To summarize: SKJ was a decent player who was not good enough to earn any starting time at UK due to the high talent level that Cal consistently brings in. He's skinny and weak, reacts slowly, but has ok basketball skills. At the same time, he could be the best "recruit" that Roy Williams has had in years outside of Nassir Little.

I'll take it!

UNC fan here. Haven't heard anything about him being a "lock" to UNC. I think he would be a good power forward here.

The only problem is that it would make our bigs very concentrated in one class. We would graduate 4 frontcourt players in 2021 and then be left with a bare cupboard.

Apparently I'm in the minority on this but from the little I've seen of E.J. Montgomery in Youtube clips etc., while I think he will in time be a good player, if given a choice I think SKJ as an experienced and returning Junior would be more productive for UK than E.J. Montgomery will be as a freshman.

I don't think SKJ got as much playing time as he should have this past season especially.

Also think people are putting too big of an expectation on Montgomery, who while he seems to be a skilled big man doesn't look like a physical freak that will compete well against college opposition early on (like a Julius Randle or Nerlens Noel or Bam Adebayo etc. were able to do their freshmen years.) Most big men have a slow learning curve playing in Division I and I expect the same will be true of Montgomery.

Not in the minority. I was underwhelmed by the clips ive seen of Montgomery. He looked like a below the rim guy to me. And I also thought SKJ showed progress. I think the time he missed for his grandfathers? funeral set him back a bit.

And that could also be playing into his decision to transfer. He may want to be closer to his family.

Reactions: ZaytovenCat
He's taking an OV to Pitt right now.

He never took an OV to Pitt. You were wrong!

He was going to transfer to Carolina. Something happened. Now the Carolina PR machine is in action and insinuating that his grades were not good enough. This will tarnish SKJ and teach him a lesson for spurning Roy twice.

UNC fan here. Haven't heard anything about him being a "lock" to UNC. I think he would be a good power forward here.

The only problem is that it would make our bigs very concentrated in one class. We would graduate 4 frontcourt players in 2021 and then be left with a bare cupboard.
I don't think his skills fit the system at UK as well as they might somewhere else. That is my fan speak answer/obsevation. UNC might be that system might not, don't know. Wish him well.

He was going to transfer to Carolina. Something happened. Now the Carolina PR machine is in action and insinuating that his grades were not good enough. This will tarnish SKJ and teach him a lesson for spurning Roy twice.

Teach him a lesson huh? Like anything UNC says carries weight anymore?Especially about academics. Laughable.

Grades not good enough to attend The Filth? You mean that sleazy cheating instition that defrauded college basketball for 20 years? The one that SACS put on academic probation over fake classes. Nobody will believe anyone had academic issues with that cesspool.

Reactions: IdaCat

That could be a problem. Unless Roy has his retirement date set for 2021.

Grades not good enough to attend The Filth? You mean that sleazy cheating instition that defrauded college basketball for 20 years? The one that SACS put on academic probation over fake classes. Nobody will believe anyone had academic issues with that cesspool.
Unless they are being more careful now at UNCheat, after that close call. It is actually a very good public academic school outside of the whole AFAM thing.

To all those who were denigrating the education you get at UNC - UNC removed themselves from his recruitment after seeing his UK transcripts.

You mean after they saw he actually expected to attend class? If you want to troll someone denigrating The Filth, take it up with SACS. They are the ones that demonstrated your classes didn’t measure up to scratch for 20 years.

Reactions: IdaCat
Unless they are being more careful now at UNCheat, after that close call. It is actually a very good public academic school outside of the whole AFAM thing.

Right. We talking about the same Filth that SACS trashed? If you will commit academic fraud for 20 years it doesn’t just go away. At best, they just learned to hide it better. I’m happy to learn that SKJ won’t be associating with that scum. He was much too good for them.

Last edited:

LMFAOLMFAO at:
"The only problem is that would make our bigs very concentrated in one class"
AFAM?

Your trash program cheated for decades, didnt properly educate many players, kept functionally illiterate kids eligible with pretend classes and now you proudly declare that its great to denigrate a kid with personal lies because he didn't choose your trash program? You must be so proud.

So a school that has RASHAD MCCANTS on its DEANS LIST - the guy who you can YouTube saying he did no work and attended no classes - and kept JULIUS PEPPERS eligible despite what we’ve all seen on his transcript, cares about SKJ’s grades? lol lol lol. You have lost the right to ever talk about honor in scholastics. Your school is a joke.

Not in the minority. I was underwhelmed by the clips ive seen of Montgomery. He looked like a below the rim guy to me. And I also thought SKJ showed progress. I think the time he missed for his grandfathers? funeral set him back a bit.

And that could also be playing into his decision to transfer. He may want to be closer to his family.
Below the rim? This is from EJ's 8th GRADE season. Below the rim [laughing]

Unfortunately, this is the silly attitude many Kentucky fans have: you have to be “elite” or don’t belong here.

You ALWAYS need role/backup players, especially with experience.
Where did I say a player "had to be elite or you don't belong here."? Wasn't it Lee's decision to transfer? The PLAYERS seem to have that attitude, not the fans. Once they get a few splinters in their butts, many decide to move on...like Lee.

Well, without his monstrous put back jam vs. UT late in the 2nd Half in the SECT, we likely lose to UT 3 freaking times this past season and go an utterly embarrassing 0-5 vs. UT and UF.

SKJ has more in him than what he showed at UK overall. We saw glimpses of it.

Not that it matters to UNC fans now but another big knock on SKJ from several folks is that he hasn’t been willing to fully put in the work - more than the bare minimum.

Unless you’re a super star, Cal is not going play a 2nd year kid who is getting out worked by everyone.

Saying you would rather have SKJ , a guy that isn't on any draft boards and has shown very little in 2 years , over a guy who was one of the 5 best players at the MCD's game all week and is a consensus top 10 player ( and ranked higher then Zion by one service ) along with being a guy considered a likely lotto pick next year is down right madness. It is saying that not only is every talent evaluator is wrong but also that what we have witnessed is wrong when we have seen him being very average and not even able to get off the bench most of the time LOL. This isn't a PJ as a sophomore vs EJ as a freshman arguement as that is reasonable . SKJ isn't in the same league as EJ ( or PJ or JV or even Gabriel ) . SKJ is a servicable 3rd string guy on a team like UK IF THEY HAVE THE PROPER AMOUNT OF TALENT. Nothing against the kid I hope he uses this offseason to really blossom as a player and maybe he finds new life and proves me wrong but I doubt it . He is what he is IMO . And a middling power conference team would love that as a player to be the 3rd to 5th best player .

Not that it matters to UNC fans now but another big knock on SKJ from several folks is that he hasn’t been willing to fully put in the work - more than the bare minimum.

Unless you’re a super star, Cal is not going play a 2nd year kid who is getting out worked by everyone.

^ This. SKJ, like Marcus Lee and even Charles Matthews, left one year before a prime opportunity to really stand out on a UK team IF they were willing to put in the work. Not a knock on any of those three players as I thought they all had great attitudes and were good ball players. But if you are constantly getting lapped each year by an incoming player you have to look in the mirror and ask why this is happening. What did John Wall say in that interview a few years back when a DC media guy was asking him about Duke and their bs tournament seedings? "To be the man, you gotta beat the man. Don't run from the man."

We've seen glimpses of potential from SKJ but he's never really been a consistent player from what I've seen from him. That's the primary knock on him from my point of view- he disappears on the floor. There are other issues. He's not a particularly great athlete. He's not a great shot blocker. He's not as tenacious as he needs to be on the boards. I think he's a 4-year college player and then ends up undrafted and struggling to find an NBA roster spot, even if he continues to develop. I'd say it's more likely he ends up overseas somewhere if he wants to continue a career in basketball. He can be a solid college power forward or center next season, though. If he can make that baseline jumper consistently, he can play for someone. I would have liked to see him back at UK because I think he could provide bench minutes and experience- a big body who can defend and rebound a bit who is less likely to get pushed around as a junior. But alas, he flew the coop.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT