ADVERTISEMENT

SKJ, is he any good?

LOL that shipped has long sailed. And he would still be behind EJ , JV ( who will be back IMO ) and Richards so he will still be the 4th big man and IMO really 5th as KJ would be used at PF instead of SKJ. SKJ isn't a bad role player but that is what he is . A role player .
EJ, JV and Richards can't play 40 minutes a game so it would be nice to have an experienced front line player coming off the bench. KJ will have to get some minutes and he isnt that big.

He's too good for a program that made a mockery of the integrity of college basketball for 17 years, put a numbskull like Rashad McCants on the Deans List despite his never attending a class, kept dozens of basketball players eligible by giving them fake grades for classes never held or attended, covered up the "Wheels for Heels" scam run by an ex-felon, gave people like Tami Hansborough fake jobs to entice her son to stay an extra year, looked the other way at gun and drug arrests for people like PJ Hairston, and on and on.

Guessing he wont respond to this one.

Obligatory SKJ pic:

giphy.gif

[laughing] I'm going to miss SKJ.

All schools bend the rules. Many schools break the rules. We completely disregarded and gave the middle finger to the rules for decades. It would be dishonest of me not to openly admit that. We got off scott free for a reason that will likely never be openly discussed or disclosed, however.
a nocar fan that cares about honesty is like screwing for virginity.

You tell me right now, what is the specific date of SKJ's official visit to UNC?

What does you ecosystem say about that?

For a player who grew up in Chapel Hill and spent time in the past playing on campus against UNC players, I’m not sure why you think it’s even necessary that he take an official visit in order to choose UNC?

A lot of transfers pick new schools without formally going through the full recruiting process (i.e. don’t take official visits etc.)

I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he ends up at UNC without an official visit.

Last edited:
"Undersized"?

What an absurd statement. No, he's not undersized at all.
Yes he was. In reality he was 6'8 and frail. I know he was listed at 6'10 but I think they measured his hair because he never looked that tall.

LOL that shipped has long sailed. And he would still be behind EJ , JV ( who will be back IMO ) and Richards so he will still be the 4th big man and IMO really 5th as KJ would be used at PF instead of SKJ. SKJ isn't a bad role player but that is what he is . A role player .

Apparently I'm in the minority on this but from the little I've seen of E.J. Montgomery in Youtube clips etc., while I think he will in time be a good player, if given a choice I think SKJ as an experienced and returning Junior would be more productive for UK than E.J. Montgomery will be as a freshman.

I don't think SKJ got as much playing time as he should have this past season especially.

Also think people are putting too big of an expectation on Montgomery, who while he seems to be a skilled big man doesn't look like a physical freak that will compete well against college opposition early on (like a Julius Randle or Nerlens Noel or Bam Adebayo etc. were able to do their freshmen years.) Most big men have a slow learning curve playing in Division I and I expect the same will be true of Montgomery.

Apparently I'm in the minority on this but from the little I've seen of E.J. Montgomery in Youtube clips etc., while I think he will in time be a good player, if given a choice I think SKJ as an experienced and returning Junior would be more productive for UK than E.J. Montgomery will be as a freshman.

I don't think SKJ got as much playing time as he should have this past season especially.

Also think people are putting too big of an expectation on Montgomery, who while he seems to be a skilled big man doesn't look like a physical freak that will compete well against college opposition early on (like a Julius Randle or Nerlens Noel or Bam Adebayo etc. were able to do their freshmen years.) Most big men have a slow learning curve playing in Division I and I expect the same will be true of Montgomery.
The thing that troubled me about SKJ, is that the game moved too fast for him, because he doesn't seem to truly understand the game and he's constantly reacting instead of playing ahead of things.

The thing that I love MOST about EJ is his passing and understanding of the game.

EJ will be better than SKJ from the get go!

I'm 100% sure of this!!

Reactions: Cindog28
The thing that troubled me about SKJ, is that the game moved too fast for him, because he doesn't seem to truly understand the game and he's constantly reacting instead of playing ahead of things.

The thing that I love MOST about EJ is his passing and understanding of the game.

I'm 100% sure of this!!

Hope you’re right but still think it will take time & some patience. Even Karl Townes took much of the season to round into a reliably productive player as a freshman.

I'm 100% sure of this!!

I agree that this is probably true, but I've learned NEVER to be "100% sure" about these things.

I still remember how certain our fans were over the coming awesomeness of Skal Labissierre ...not to mention a looong list of other such recruits whose performance fell woefully short of their HS hype over the years. I've learned not to believe until I see it.

Reactions: kb22stang
I agree that this is probably true, but I've learned NEVER to be "100% sure" about these things.

I still remember how certain our fans were over the coming awesomeness of Skal Labissierre ...not to mention a looong list of other such recruits whose performance fell woefully short of their HS hype over the years. I've learned not to believe until I see it.
Have to agree; over the years I think we've seen players come and go with some being overhyped or for whatever reason never reached their potential. I remember when everyone thought Clarence Tillman was a game changer but it was obvious that he just wasn't UK material. The list goes on with Richard Madison, SKAL, etc.

I'm 100% sure of this!!
Don’t count on it. Montgomery isn’t physically ready to be much of a difference maker. Jones was starting to develop into a solid player, just like you’re supposed to after a couple of years.

Reactions: crpoore
I have it on good authority that former UK player SKJ will be transferring to play for the Heels. My recollection is that he was a good player in HS, but he never seemed to play at UK. Is he any good?

He would be a good player for a 2nd rate program like you guys.

He's a good role player the extra year off will help a team tremendously. Depending on where he goes he could end up starting. All things considered his walk was below average which is why I think he didn't perform at the level he needed to be at

Hope you’re right but still think it will take time & some patience. Even Karl Townes took much of the season to round into a reliably productive player as a freshman.
Towns understanding of the game made him better from day one...

EJ may not "help" us as much from the get go, but he definitely won't "hurt" us like SKJ did at times.

EJ was considered the number 1 player in the country as a middle school player.

He slipped a little in the rankings because he's not as "dynamic" as some other players.

As I've studied his videos from them until now, I've noticed how well he see's the floor and understands the game.

I never said that he'd be a difference maker, but I am absolutely convinced that he'll be a better "basketball player" from the get go.

I'm not judging his physical attributes...

I'm judging his mind, and yes, I'm 100% convinced that he'll be better than SKJ from day 1.

Very skilled but slightly undersized with only mediocre athleticism. Being an underwhelming athlete is what really held him back

He just doesn't seem to have a feel for the game. Things moved too fast for him and he was always a step behind or out of position.

You can do that if you hustle like crazy or provide some kind of extraordinary athleticism or skill, but SKJ didn't. His hustle and toughness did improve from year one to year two, but it still seemed like he wasn't sure what was happening on the floor until it already happened.

Reactions: Blueaz
I’m not sure why he’d have interest in a place like UNC. Go somewhere where you’ll be sure to get major minutes. Can’t get starter minutes at UK, it would seem unlikely to ever get starter minutes at a place like UNC.
But I'm sure ole Roy wouldn't make a promise he would not honor.

I have it on good authority that former UK player SKJ will be transferring to play for the Heels. My recollection is that he was a good player in HS, but he never seemed to play at UK. Is he any good?

SKJ will (unfortunately) be a good "get" for UNCheat.
He won't be a star, but he is a nice player, capable of starting, certainly will be in your 8-9 man rotation.
And like all of the recent UK players, he seems to be a good kid.

I would not call him an undersized PF (as another poster did). He's 6'10 (maybe 6'9.5), and a solid 220 (I think).
Has a nice jumper out to 15', likes to shoot from the baseline.
Not overly athletic, but athletic enough.
Solid rebounder, defender, blocking shots. Not great at any of these, but decent enough.
Has played big games this past year (was big for us in the SEC tourney), did not play much as a FR (96 total min), but this past year did average 13 min/gm. 3.1 pt, 2.8 reb, 0.5 blk. So his per 30min averages this year were 7.2 pt, 6.4 reb, 1.2 blk. He made 58% of his shots, but only 56% from the line (his form is good, so I think he is a better FT shooter than that).

I predict as a JR he will play 18-20 mpg for you and then start as a SR (23-25 mpg).

Reactions: FactCheckerUSA
He can be a very good player, but he really doesn't fit with what Cal wanted him to do. I think he'll turn into a very good player under Roy.

Maybe he's interested in AFAM studies. Does he get a free car for signing up, or does that just happen under the table once FATS sees him play?

He was a crap-ton better than Nick Richards who we showcased all year until tournament time when we couldn't afford to have him on the floor too much. Then we stuck SKJ in there and he performed better than I thought he would. He's grown up a lot, physically matured. Wasn't soft by any means.

He's like your typical UNC skinny guy who stays 4 years and turns into a nice player. Would have been nice to have him here at UK as a junior and senior.

I wished he had stuck around and not transferred but I hope where ever he lands I hope the best for him.

Do you realize has stupid you look trashing the academic credibility of SKJ? Like he somehow deserves to be accused of taking fake classes after being a model student the last 2 years.

Just shut up and let the adults handle the troll who started this thread, ok?
Thats not what he said, you are an idiot

He is good enough to make people start threads in a couple of years when he has a solid game in the NCAA tourney. He will then be pegged as the missing piece.

Reactions: FactCheckerUSA
1. He's clearly not a back-up Center. You have 2 years of evidence that he is not suited for the role of screener/shot-blocker/junkyard dog. So is he any good? That will depend on how his new coach develops him and uses him.

2. He hasn't picked a school to transfer to yet. He has OVs set up to 3 ACC schools right now. He has not even set up a visit date for UNC yet. So you should tell your "good authority" to stop bullshittin' you.

I'm very well connected in the Carolina ecosystem. SKJ will transfer to UNC.
So glad to have an insider here. I have a question that I’ve been dying to know the answer to. Were the fake classes set up in 1987 or 1988?

ADVERTISEMENT