ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: MJ says it’s all on Mitch concerning Cal’s future

With the deferred payment aspect, Kentucky has to move now. Let him go Monday, hell help cal find another job. Get him out of Lexington, bring in a new coach, get NIL backing which I think would easily happen for a new coach and let’s go

Looks like Louisville is about to close the deal with dusty may. Now it’s Kentuckys turn
Geez if UL recovers faster than UK
Shaking Head Reaction GIF by GIPHY News

Mitch is a damned wimp who is always in compromise mode. He rarely pulls the trigger, although I was surprised at how fast he moved on from Elzy.

My guess is that he'll spend a good chunk of time talking to Calipari about compromising scenarios before anything. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if Calipari convinces him to give him one more year, and if he doesn't perform in March, he'll take half of the buyout. Again, Mitch seems to be very weak in these kinds of situations and will probably see this as a "win". Of course, we won't know about this agreement, so fans will be boiling as it will appear that Cal will be here until he says so.

Mitch painted himself into a corner. He was hoping that this team would make a decent run this year so that he could keep Cal around for a few more years without a ton of pushback. Basically, he was hoping the problem would solve itself.

Well, Cal screwed that up with another horrible tournament loss, so now Mitch has to deal with the problem he created himself. It's clear to me that both Cal and Mitch can't coexist after this. One of them has to go. Of course, I would prefer both leave.

Jones statement is generic and true at any school. Wouldn’t read anything into it.
Cal will be here next season. Bu that will most likely be his last.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Yes, very true. Myfear is we hire someone like Scott Drew that can’t get it done here every year as well. If we do that, where does that get us?

Honestly you look at the landscape of college basketball coaches... most of them are unproven or are up and coming. It's going to be a risk no matter who we choose.

The old guard has moved out.

Matt said after the game Thursday, he no longer has a relationhip with Calipari after Peavey left. I think he is getting his information mostly from Pilgrim.. who had a a pretty detailed posting last night. Also a lot of information on the Trilly discord... Pilgrim said he was on the phone for 6 hours driving home from Pittsburg, gathering intel.

A group of boosters, not including the Crafts, have been working (possibly for a couple of years), to get enough commitment to buy him out. And as of last night, those boosters believe they have the money to buy him out, and believe UK is trending toward replacing Calipari

Honestly you look at the landscape of college basketball coaches... most of them are unproven or are up and coming. It's going to be a risk no matter who we choose.

The old guard has moved out.
I agree, 100%. My fear is if the rumors are true the number one option is a coach that has been at Baylor since 2003 and only had a handful of what Kentucky would consider successful seasons. His one national championship came on the back of Covid.

Matt said after the game Thursday, he no longer has a relationhip with Calipari after Peavey left. I think he is getting his information mostly from Pilgrim.. who had a a pretty detailed posting last night. Also a lot of information on the Trilly discord... Pilgrim said he was on the phone for 6 hours driving home from Pittsburg, gathering intel.

A group of boosters, not including the Crafts, have been working (possibly for a couple of years), to get enough commitment to buy him out. And as of last night, those boosters believe they have the money to buy him out, and believe UK is trending toward replacing Calipari
If the money is there you have to do it. If it’s not, that sucks and we willl have to suffer the consequences.

I agree, 100%. My fear is if the rumors are true the number one option is a coach that has been at Baylor since 2003 and only had a handful of what Kentucky would consider successful seasons. His one national championship came on the back of Covid.

I don't know if I'd picked Scott Drew either.. but he built that program from nothing.

You have to think with UK resources you get a little more squeeze out of him and he can deliver. We know he can at least coach... money is what will bring in recruits now.

I don't know if I'd picked Scott Drew either.. but he built that program from nothing.

You have to think with UK resources you get a little more squeeze out of him and he can deliver. We know he can at least coach... money is what will bring in recruits now.
Still need a good name that can get players where they want to go as well. That’s gonna be the hardest part to replace. Cal sucks but he does have connections at the next level.

I could have sworn there was some period where Baylor was under investigation for recruiting cheating/violations under Drew. I recall many of us here saying "well that explains how he's been able to get that kind of talent to freakin' Waco". I don't have the will or gumption to google it, but I know someone here will. :)

Reactions: Mash 2.4
I’d think Mitch knows he has to find Cal a way out for the mess he created. He’s probably been nonstop working on what it will look like on the other side.
To those who think Mitch doesn’t have the sack to fire Cal, I’d say he doesn’t also have the sack to keep a coach on who has 24/7 security detail. It’s more of a hazard than the money.

Side note: can you imagine how Mitch feels fundraising to get out of the dumpster fire Cal tricked him into?

Still need a good name that can get players where they want to go as well. That’s gonna be the hardest part to replace. Cal sucks but he does have connections at the next level.
This is why we need to bring the next level to Lexington. Surely there are some successful NBA assistants or even coaches or back office ex-coaches that would/could be enticed? Yes, I'm talking about the usuals in Donovan and Stevens, but there are a handful of others I'm sure that aren't being discussed (I don't watch the NBA so I'm clueless on possible candidates).

UK has 26 players put in the NBA

Duke (24) is the only other school with 20 or more former players, while UCLA (15), Kansas (12), Michigan and Gonzaga (11), and Arkansas, Arizona, Texas, and Villanova (10) round out the top ten.

While future NBA players are important it clearly isn't the end be all to win games

Jones statement is generic and true at any school. Wouldn’t read anything into it.
Cal will be here next season. Bu that will most likely be his last.
I sure the hell hope not…. In my 44 years of life I haven’t missed any UK anything they bring that prick back another year I will be done watching UK basketball until that prick is gone. His last year should’ve been 9-16 this $hit of keep giving him year after year isn’t helping the program not one bit!

I know it's fun to poop on Mitch, but that man fires coaches.
He may give them a year longer than some might want.
But Joker, Billy, Kyra, all let go.
I think Gary Henderson and Mickie DeMoss were pushed out.
both quit to be assistants somewhere else the next year.

If that info is getting out, that tells me Cal is gone

I could have sworn there was some period where Baylor was under investigation for recruiting cheating/violations under Drew. I recall many of us here saying "well that explains how he's been able to get that kind of talent to freakin' Waco". I don't have the will or gumption to google it, but I know someone here will. :)

In April 2012, the NCAA put the Baylor men's and women's basketball programs on three years probation and implemented scholarship reductions after an investigation revealed major recruiting violations and impermissible involvement of talent scouts at the basketball clinics they hosted.[11] It was also revealed that one of Drew's assistant coaches had attempted to influence two AAU coaches to provide false and misleading information during the investigation.[12] Drew, who issued a statement accepting full responsibility for the infractions, was cited for failure to monitor the men's program[13] and suspended by the Big 12 for the first two conference games in the 2012–13 season.[14]

Personally this seems minor

As I’ve said several times on here..it’ll happen this weekend if it’s gonna happen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT