ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: MJ says it’s all on Mitch concerning Cal’s future

Matt said after the game Thursday, he no longer has a relationhip with Calipari after Peavey left. I think he is getting his information mostly from Pilgrim.. who had a a pretty detailed posting last night. Also a lot of information on the Trilly discord... Pilgrim said he was on the phone for 6 hours driving home from Pittsburg, gathering intel.

A group of boosters, not including the Crafts, have been working (possibly for a couple of years), to get enough commitment to buy him out. And as of last night, those boosters believe they have the money to buy him out, and believe UK is trending toward replacing Calipari
Jones has spent years saying “Cal is going nowhere. Who’s paying the buyout?” Then Andy Staples says there’s no upfront money due and can be paid in installments and suddenly Jones is all over it. Tells me a couple of things: he never read the contract, and as usual, he’s quick to jump on news someone else provides.

Cal has surely underperformed. But to be honest I don’t have a lot of confidence in any viable candidate out there. Kentucky basketball is at a crossroads.

Last edited:
How are all these other teams winning in the tournament without those 5 star NBA wannabe headaches??

Especially if the other coaches out there are as bad as all the Cal fans say they are???

Rhetorical. Not directing this at you.
You need a guy that can go get his. That I’ve always agreed with. A guy like Rob. Or even Reed at his best. You also need solid elite college players. That should be your core. But a guy like Rob or Reeves is what you need to top it off. Why. Because those types of dudes are him. They can create their own shots and get you points when you absolutely need them.

You have to have one of those types of dudes to be truly successful. Even a guy like Ulis counts like that. A man that can break down a defender and just get you points.

The attraction to Pearl is his energy. UK fans are dying for a fired up coach that shows he appreciates the school, fans and loves winning. I'm in this boat as well until I think about his failures in coaching and his sketchy past.

In a perfect world, we get a coach with the energy of Pearl, 20 years younger, and a bit of NCAAT success, as in deep runs or even a championship or two. I don't know of anyone like that right now, and I'm not sure I'd be all in on Pearl even if Mitch somehow did shock us with his hiring.
I think Pearl could also handle this fans base

Reactions: TOMCATS1990
Nobody is coming to play for John Welch. Bethany might just as well fire himself if he were to do that
So if you had to make a choice right now to keep Cal or say ride with Welch for a season m, you stick with what we’ve done for five years? Screw that. If im going or fail at this point let me fail trying something different. I don’t mean Welch is the next coach. Hes a plug that can in offense while you look for the guy you really want.

Trying the same thing and expecting different results is a the definition of insanity.

Scott drew had all that success at Baylor, Kentucky has more resources and a larger fanbase. Drew would be a good hire
People are insane. In the last 10 years he has been to the Sweet 16 or beyond twice. He’s won the Big 12 conference ONCE in 20 years at Baylor.

This is bananaland if Drew is an elite/great hire.

I think Pearl could also handle this fans base
Could he? I can see him puckering just like Cal when he's in a big game and staring down an upset. How many times have we seen that look on our coach's face when they are about to be beaten. I can see them all now - Tubby, BCG, Cal - their faces are that of the "this isn't going to go well with the fans or the media...I'm already feeling embarrassed for what's to come". Pitino never had that face. His face was one of anger and annoyance with himself and his team. He took that feeling and turned it around into a change in the next game. He wasn't afraid of the fans or media backlash.

I don't think Pearl has this mojo. He's got great energy and we'd love him instantly because he'd be loving us back, but then it all comes back to winning games. The moment he loses that first game in December against a nobody team will be the moment we're all back in here ripping each other apart.

Last edited:
Well, most of them are doing it for the first time, or at least the first time in a long time. Only a handful are repeating the success each year, and I don't think any of those coaches will be leaving any time soon (speaking mostly about Hurley and Lloyd).

I can tell you this - if Shaka Smart hadn't shit the bed in Texas, he'd be tops on my list. He's young, energetic, and would leave Marquette for UK in a blink. He's just not yet proven that he can handle the big time NCAAT games, but he can clearly coach as has been evident with Marquette.
Not a true statement. Look at the top 4 seeds in each region and get back to me on those teams and their coaches.

These teams and coaches are the top teams in the nation, and not just for one year. And it certainly isn't these coaches " first time in a long time" since they won a tournament game.

That would be us. We are that team, and Cal is that coach, right now.

So if you had to make a choice right now to keep Cal or say ride with Welch for a season m, you stick with what we’ve done for five years? Screw that. If im going or fail at this point let me fail trying something different. I don’t mean Welch is the next coach. Hes a plug that can in offense while you look for the guy you really want.

Trying the same thing and expecting different results is a the definition of insanity.
That would set recruiting back 5 years.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood2.0
People are insane. In the last 10 years he has been to the Sweet 16 or beyond twice. He’s won the Big 12 conference ONCE in 20 years at Baylor.

Besides that I’m not sure he can handle everything else that is KY Basketball. Pearl Pitino both can after that the list is crickets

Drew would be a terrible hire. UK fans would hate his sourpuss attitude and his results have been mediocre at Baylor outside of a couple of years.

Otzelberger is not even on the list and certainly not 1B. He has an $18 million buyout. It’s simply not in the realm of any possibility that UK buys out Cal and pays Iowa St and then gives him a raise. No chance.

There is no sure thing home run hire. All the tops names are nearly certain to be a no.

It will be someone like Billy G - younger, up and coming guy that we have to hope works out well.
Drew is considered an outstanding X andO guy among coaching circles, and has a personality that’s extremely likable. The only thing Baylor has ever won they’ve won under him. Hard to read …what do you think about someone that’s built a national championship winning program out of something that was basically a Baptist school that wanted to be good in football , prior?

He did it at Baylor, Baylor was the vandy of the big 12 before he got there. He isn’t my first choice either but he can and would be a good hire

Reactions: cathouse
You need a guy that can go get his. That I’ve always agreed with. A guy like Rob. Or even Reed at his best. You also need solid elite college players. That should be your core. But a guy like Rob or Reeves is what you need to top it off. Why. Because those types of dudes are him. They can create their own shots and get you points when you absolutely need them.

You have to have one of those types of dudes to be truly successful. Even a guy like Ulis counts like that. A man that can break down a defender and just get you points.
That "man" doesn't need to be a scared, fragile Freshman.

Reed and Rob were overwhelmed by a 14 seed in a first round game. Too much pressure for a young player, and the way Cal ( mis)used them only increased the pressure on them to perform.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
Pearl seems the best choice has the fire to win games at KY can recruit players and unite the fan base. I think Pitino wouldn’t be a bad hire either as he knows BBN like no other. Mitch probably wants Drew he seems like a safe hire not sure he can handle this job.

Imo he is by far the safest option. No way he does any less than good/very good. Imo he's the best hire, giving a grand slam time to emerge.

There isn't a guarantee HR hire out there IMO. I definitely don't want Drew. I'd take a chance on a young guy. No long term deals. If he doesn't work out you move on quickly.

Drew is considered an outstanding X andO guy among coaching circles, and has a personality that’s extremely likable. The only thing Baylor has ever won they’ve won under him. Hard to read …what do you think about someone that’s built a national championship winning program out of something that was basically a Baptist school that wanted to be good in football , prior?
He recruits the portal well to, and he can get high school guys. Drew would be a good hire

Reactions: cathouse
If it’s up to Mitch then I would think the money is there to get rid of Cal. If that’s the case what possible reason would Mitch have to keep Cal? Seems like a no brainer.

Honestly, I’m not sure. Assuming none of the big time names are an option (which I don’t think they are) I think it’s likely to be a younger type guy. Nobody jumps out to me as the definitive answer.

I am just not a Drew fan and think he would be a nightmare here for a lot of reasons.
Yeah I’m 50/50 on drew but think he can be good here. I’m just so ready to move on from cal at this point

Jones statement is generic and true at any school. Wouldn’t read anything into it.
Cal will be here next season. Bu that will most likely be his last.
Exactly. The dork isn't actually saying anything, but people desperate for good news are lapping it up. Anyone here could create a generic ass Twitter post saying "BREAKING: lots of moving parts UK and NCAA tournament situation" and girls would be pulling up their tops out of excitement, while guys are posting Kermit gifs.

Reactions: entropy13
Look at Drew's coaching tree versus Calipari's. You can't because Calipari doesn't have a coaching tree!
Those trying to dismiss Baylor's title because it was just after Covid...the playing field was the same for everyone! Why didn't UK/Calipari storm through and take that Title?

People, Bruce Pearl is NOT going to even get a sniff from Barnhart. Neither is Pitino. Stop beating that horse. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!

My fear is not rather or not Cal is fired. It’s who we hire to take his place. Can’t screw that up.
Same. There are many potential scenarios where keeping cal would be better.. Gotta choose wisely. I’m ready for a change if it’s the right change.

There is only one thing managers like Barnhart fear more than someone like Cal, and that is being held responsible for their screw ups. Mitch knows that his future is tied to Cal's. If he brings him back and he fails then Mitch is going out the door with him.

Imo, we have seen the last of Calipari.

I guess we're in banana land.

1. You KEEP ignoring the championship. 7 Active D1 coaches have a national championship. Drew is on that list. The idea that "Yeah, well he had a championship, but it's just 1 season" is absurd. If a guy can win a championship at freaking Baylor, he can win one or more at Kentucky.

2. UK will elevate him. He's at Baylor, and he's currently doing better than Calipari. He will do even better at a blue blood like Kentucky.

3. There isn't some coach who is absolutely dominating and going to the Elite 8 every single year that wants to leave. Mark Few isn't leaving Gonzaga. I really don't believe Hurley is leaving UCONN. Self isn't leaving Kansas. Hubert Davis isn't leaving UNC.

Mitch better be pretty damn sure of who is coming next before he does anything.

If he fires Cal and goes after multiple people who all say no this will be an even bigger disaster than it currently is.

Spend the next two days figuring out who is next, see what (highly doubtful any) players would consider returning and then make a decision on Monday.
I seen a local high school team go through that when they fired their football coach. Mitch has been an AD for a long time so hopefully that wouldn’t happen here

I sure the hell hope not…. In my 44 years of life I haven’t missed any UK anything they bring that prick back another year I will be done watching UK basketball until that prick is gone. His last year should’ve been 9-16 this $hit of keep giving him year after year isn’t helping the program not one bit!
Yup, feeling that way too. Like an ex-girlfriend that keeps trying and you're just like I don't want to hear or not one word of it and I told you to quit trying

There is not a sure thing out there. Cal was a sure thing when he was hired. I’m going to try to be open to whoever they bring in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT