ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: MJ says it’s all on Mitch concerning Cal’s future

Cal has publicly humiliated Mitch many times and Mitch openly took Stoops’ side in the “basketball school” debacle.

As much as I think he’s a total squish and dread him making the next hire, don’t underestimate the power of spite in all of this. Mitch holding a presser laying out all of Cal’s faults seems like a good motivator to get it done

In April 2012, the NCAA put the Baylor men's and women's basketball programs on three years probation and implemented scholarship reductions after an investigation revealed major recruiting violations and impermissible involvement of talent scouts at the basketball clinics they hosted.[11] It was also revealed that one of Drew's assistant coaches had attempted to influence two AAU coaches to provide false and misleading information during the investigation.[12] Drew, who issued a statement accepting full responsibility for the infractions, was cited for failure to monitor the men's program[13] and suspended by the Big 12 for the first two conference games in the 2012–13 season.[14]

Personally this seems minor
Yeah that seems more like a last ditched effort by the NCAA to appear relevant as around that time I remember chatter about kids being exploited by the NCAA for $$ started heating up (in what eventually became the NIL).

Reactions: DraftCat
Don’t worry guys, the arsonist will put the fire out

uhoh-on-fire.gif

UK has 26 players put in the NBA

Duke (24) is the only other school with 20 or more former players, while UCLA (15), Kansas (12), Michigan and Gonzaga (11), and Arkansas, Arizona, Texas, and Villanova (10) round out the top ten.

While future NBA players are important it clearly isn't the end be all to win games
No for sure. Just need one or two dudes every year to give you that punch when you need it.

Reactions: DraftCat
Matt said after the game Thursday, he no longer has a relationhip with Calipari after Peavey left. I think he is getting his information mostly from Pilgrim.. who had a a pretty detailed posting last night. Also a lot of information on the Trilly discord... Pilgrim said he was on the phone for 6 hours driving home from Pittsburg, gathering intel.

A group of boosters, not including the Crafts, have been working (possibly for a couple of years), to get enough commitment to buy him out. And as of last night, those boosters believe they have the money to buy him out, and believe UK is trending toward replacing Calipari
What’s being posted on Trilly’s discord?

Reactions: westerncat
I was reading some of the Twitter comments to Matt's tweet and you see the 'rally around the team instead of wanting Cal gone'. What does that mean? What does that look like? Until we have an X and O coach who will look at today's college basketball and understand that there is a balance between recruits and transfer portal, it will only get worse. I don't care how many times we scream, Come on boys, you can do it! Let's go! Cal has proven that he will not and can't change. He refused to start the best player for whatever reason. He's done the one and done. He done the veteran guys. He just isn't getting it done and his record since 2015 shows it. No more rally around the team chants. Time for a change at the top of the team. Write the check!!

Mitch shouldn’t even be thinking about what to do next. Fire Calipari it is that simple. How can a coach who has zero relationship with the AD, boosters, fans, etc… continue to coach here? On top of that Calipari thinks every UK fan is an idiot and if we criticize him or the team then we are not real fans. You cannot let him touch the court again inside Rupp Arena. If you do then it’s going to just get 1000x worse than it already is. Mitch needs to “Pony Up” and do what is best for everyone including himself

Let’s worry about one thing at a time. Get CAL gone sooner rather then later. The longer he stays the more fires he is starting
I want Cal gone as well. I think knowing who the next coach is, is way more important than just firing Cal and hoping for the best. You think we are becoming Indiana now, hire the wrong coach now and we would be Indiana in five more years. We won’t be able to just fire the next coach like we did Billy G. Tubby didn’t have a 33 million buyout. Who ever the next coach is we are stuck with them no matter what. We wouldn’t be able to afford to fire him because of Cal’s 33million dollar buyout.

Reactions: MEMEBLUE
Matt said after the game Thursday, he no longer has a relationhip with Calipari after Peavey left. I think he is getting his information mostly from Pilgrim.. who had a a pretty detailed posting last night. Also a lot of information on the Trilly discord... Pilgrim said he was on the phone for 6 hours driving home from Pittsburg, gathering intel.

A group of boosters, not including the Crafts, have been working (possibly for a couple of years), to get enough commitment to buy him out. And as of last night, those boosters believe they have the money to buy him out, and believe UK is trending toward replacing Calipari
I hope we know something by Monday and I pray you are right about the boosters believe they have the money to buy Calipari out. I hope Mitch has the balls to fire Calipari, and then work with a committee to find the right coach for UK. If Mitch does not fire Calipari there are going to be a lot of pissed off fans and I will be one of them.

I want Cal gone as well. I think knowing who the next coach is, is way more important than just firing Cal and hoping for the best. You think we are becoming Indiana now, hire the wrong coach now and we would be Indiana in five more years. We won’t be able to just fire the next coach like we did Billy G. Tubby didn’t have a 33 million buyout. Who ever the next coach is we are stuck with them no matter what. We wouldn’t be able to afford to fire him because of Cal’s 33million dollar buyout.
A lame hire is just not winning like we want ….with no top recruiting classes , and a coach that has less of an ego . No reason to fire anyone just to get someone more likeable.

Mitch better be pretty damn sure of who is coming next before he does anything.

If he fires Cal and goes after multiple people who all say no this will be an even bigger disaster than it currently is.

Spend the next two days figuring out who is next, see what (highly doubtful any) players would consider returning and then make a decision on Monday.

Mitch seems like he is terrified of Cal, I’m not expecting much from all this..

My fear is not rather or not Cal is fired. It’s who we hire to take his place. Can’t screw that up.

He is terrified because he's awful at making hires and he knows this one is his ultimate legacy. There are no home run hires this time around, unlike last time. The safest bet is Bruce Pearl because you know he's charismatic and won't be anything less than at least good . Anyone else is a giant risk and tons of money and legacies at stake.

The next coach will have a very small buyout or, likely, no buyout at all. So I don’t think money will be the problem (the university also has a ton of football money to contribute I haven’t seen mentioned to go with the boosters). I think the problem is if you make a bad hire and have to fire them it really does start to make the job appear to be more trouble than it’s worth.

Mitch 100% put himself in this situation with that ridiculous contract. But I don’t envy the position he’s in with the selection of the next coach. And if Billy Donovan has taught us anything, it’s that the right coach has to say yes too.

If he fires Cal and goes after multiple people who all say no this will be an even bigger disaster than it currently is.

Spend the next two days figuring out who is next, see what (highly doubtful any) players would consider returning and then make a decision on Monday.
100%, this is what I’ve been saying. Just firing Cal without a plan is not the answer.

Reactions: JFCats22

He does.

He's personal friends with Scott Drew. Even the Louisville media guys on Twitter were saying Drew and Mitch are personal friends that text on a regular basis.

It's possible Drew decides he doesn't want to leave. But I think Mitch is doing his homework right now, and talking to some guys through back channels. And if he makes the choice to part with Calipari, it's because he has something lined up.

I think Drew is 1A. Otzelberger is probably 1B.

I think this because Mitch by all accounts wants someone with high morals, no prior scandals, etc. He didn't want to hire Calipari, but a lot of the boosters pushed it.

I think Hurley is everyone's dream candidate. I'm sure we'll at least inquire. Hell, if UCLA thought they could steal Calipari from Kentucky, why wouldn't we at least take a shot at Hurley. In the end, I suspect he's going to stay at UCONN and make them a power house.

Reactions: Blueworld_3.0
He does.

He's personal friends with Scott Drew. Even the Louisville media guys on Twitter were saying Drew and Mitch are personal friends that text on a regular basis.

It's possible Drew decides he doesn't want to leave. But I think Mitch is doing his homework right now, and talking to some guys through back channels. And if he makes the choice to part with Calipari, it's because he has something lined up.

I think Drew is 1A. Otzelberger is probably 1B.

I think this because Mitch by all accounts wants someone with high morals, no prior scandals, etc. He didn't want to hire Calipari, but a lot of the boosters pushed it.

I think Hurley is everyone's dream candidate. I'm sure we'll at least inquire. Hell, if UCLA thought they could steal Calipari from Kentucky, why wouldn't we at least take a shot at Hurley. In the end, I suspect he's going to stay at UCONN and make them a power house.
Drew would be a terrible hire. UK fans would hate his sourpuss attitude and his results have been mediocre at Baylor outside of a couple of years.

Otzelberger is not even on the list and certainly not 1B. He has an $18 million buyout. It’s simply not in the realm of any possibility that UK buys out Cal and pays Iowa St and then gives him a raise. No chance.

There is no sure thing home run hire. All the tops names are nearly certain to be a no.

It will be someone like Billy G - younger, up and coming guy that we have to hope works out well.

Yes, very true. Myfear is we hire someone like Scott Drew that can’t get it done here every year as well. If we do that, where does that get us?
We can't do worse than missing the tournament or losing out in the first round to double digit seeds.

The embarrassment needs to stop.

Reactions: TM2013
Drew would be a terrible hire. UK fans would hate his sourpuss attitude and his results have been mediocre at Baylor outside of a couple of years.

Otzelberger is not even on the list and certainly not 1B. He has an $18 million buyout. It’s simply not in the realm of any possibility that UK buys out Cal and pays Iowa St and then gives him a raise. No chance.

There is no sure thing home run hire. All the tops names are nearly certain to be a no.

It will be someone like Billy G - younger, up and coming guy that we have to hope works out well.
Only one on the radar around here that fits this up and comer is Golden.

I guess Oats might be next but then we're back to the buyout situation.

That's really all I got.

Reactions: JFCats22
Pearl seems the best choice has the fire to win games at KY can recruit players and unite the fan base. I think Pitino wouldn’t be a bad hire either as he knows BBN like no other. Mitch probably wants Drew he seems like a safe hire not sure he can handle this job.
I know a lot of people said no to Pearl after last nights loss but I’m still high on him. I think he can handle this job and would do excellent here

That’s a bad hire. That dude will be gone to Indiana as soon as possible.
Maybe. I would think Indiana did their homework, and had some back channel talks with May. If they knew they could get him after this season, I'd think they would have let go of Woodson and waited on May to open up.

Hell, if May wants to go there now, I think they would actually reverse course and get rid of Woodson. It's inexcusable not to.

I think Louisville is probably a better job at this point. And it's close enough to home. He grew up in Illinois. He'd be across the bridge from Indiana.

I'm not sure he's some slam dunk hire. They had an amazing run last year. He brought back most of his team if I'm understanding correctly, and had a lackluster season followed by a 1st round exit.

Reactions: ukfan041

I was going to guess just “staff” changes again cause I just don’t trust MB making the right decision. And I sure don’t trust him making the next hire, so why do we keep him?? If it takes a Mike Pratt to hire our coach then why are we paying MB???

Baylor has been elite the last five years. That’s the exact timeframe Calipari has been disappointing.

No for sure. Just need one or two dudes every year to give you that punch when you need it.
How are all these other teams winning in the tournament without those 5 star NBA wannabe headaches??

Especially if the other coaches out there are as bad as all the Cal fans say they are???

Rhetorical. Not directing this at you.

I know a lot of people said no to Pearl after last nights loss but I’m still high on him. I think he can handle this job and would do excellent here
The attraction to Pearl is his energy. UK fans are dying for a fired up coach that shows he appreciates the school, fans and loves winning. I'm in this boat as well until I think about his failures in coaching and his sketchy past.

In a perfect world, we get a coach with the energy of Pearl, 20 years younger, and a bit of NCAAT success, as in deep runs or even a championship or two. I don't know of anyone like that right now, and I'm not sure I'd be all in on Pearl even if Mitch somehow did shock us with his hiring.

Reactions: cathouse
How are all these other teams winning in the tournament without those 5 star NBA wannabe headaches??

Especially if the other coaches out there are as bad as all the Cal fans say they are???

Rhetorical. Not directing this at you.
Well, most of them are doing it for the first time, or at least the first time in a long time. Only a handful are repeating the success each year, and I don't think any of those coaches will be leaving any time soon (speaking mostly about Hurley and Lloyd).

I can tell you this - if Shaka Smart hadn't shit the bed in Texas, he'd be tops on my list. He's young, energetic, and would leave Marquette for UK in a blink. He's just not yet proven that he can handle the big time NCAAT games, but he can clearly coach as has been evident with Marquette.

Maybe. I would think Indiana did their homework, and had some back channel talks with May. If they knew they could get him after this season, I'd think they would have let go of Woodson and waited on May to open up.

Hell, if May wants to go there now, I think they would actually reverse course and get rid of Woodson. It's inexcusable not to.

I think Louisville is probably a better job at this point. And it's close enough to home. He grew up in Illinois. He'd be across the bridge from Indiana.

I'm not sure he's some slam dunk hire. They had an amazing run last year. He brought back most of his team if I'm understanding correctly, and had a lackluster season followed by a 1st round exit.

I just think as an IU alum that was under Knight and Davis, then coached under Davis at UAB, Indiana is probably his dream job.

Reactions: Cats192
The attraction to Pearl is his energy. UK fans are dying for a fired up coach that shows he appreciates the school, fans and loves winning. I'm in this boat as well until I think about his failures in coaching and his sketchy past.

In a perfect world, we get a coach with the energy of Pearl, 20 years younger, and a bit of NCAAT success, as in deep runs or even a championship or two. I don't know of anyone like that right now, and I'm not sure I'd be all in on Pearl even if Mitch somehow did shock us with his hiring.
Todd Golden???

Reactions: deep3

I think Drew is a home run hire. I don't get the negativity.

When you say "outside of a couple of years," what you really mean is outside of the NIL era.

Pre-NIL, he was meh.

Post-NIL, he has been crushing it. In 2020, they were one of the best teams, and were going to be a 1 seed prior to the tournament being cancelled.

2021: 1 seed, national championship.
2022: 1 seed
2023: 3 seed
2024: 3 seed

I don't think it's a coincidence all of his success comes after NIL was allowed. And NIL isn't going to up and go away.

Also, I don't get the mindset of "Yeah, but other than that championship." He won the championship. Not many active guys have. Of the ones thave have: I'm not sure another one is available.

Lastly, I believe Kentucky (and all blue bloods for that matter) elevated a coach. If Scott Drew can get 3 straight 1 seeds and a national Championship at Baylor--he can succeed at Kentucky.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT