ADVERTISEMENT

Should we keep or drop the U of L Game with the 9 Game SEC Meat-grinder?

Keep the Louisville Annual Game?

• Drop them like a Rock!

Votes: 92 54.1%
  • Keep the annual Rivalry!

Votes: 78 45.9%

• Total voters
LOL, that is a conference game. Ga Tech agreed to play a home game at Mercedes Benz stadium which is a few miles down the road. The kick off classics usually are two powerhouses that wouldn't normally play each other and they both give up a home game in order to get a big TV payday. UL isn't getting paid extra and they didn't give up a home game. This is just an ACC road game played in a stadium down the street. I suspect Chick fil A couldn't schedule any big name teams, so this was plan B.
Not talking about Ga Tech/U6 playing each other...Ga Tech played TN a few years ago in what was called a "Kickoff Classic" and U6 played Ole Miss recently. UK's not going to happen so it's a moot point.

The problem is that those schools have only so many openings on their football schedule. Scheduling for football is a lot more complicated than it sounds.
Not if Power 5 only play power 5. Duke would rather schedule UK than Ohio State. Illinois would rather play UK than say USC. It would work. It has to be across the board all power 5 schools.

Not if Power 5 only play power 5. Duke would rather schedule UK than Ohio State. Illinois would rather play UK than say USC. It would work. It has to be across the board all power 5 schools.

Well to be fair starting in 24 Illinois and USC will be in the same conference. That just feels strange to say. Teams roughly 3000 miles apart in the same conference.

Well to be fair starting in 24 Illinois and USC will be in the same conference. That just feels strange to say. Teams roughly 3000 miles apart in the same conference.
Agree. Forgot about that. I hate west coast football of any type. lol

So we could say UNC vs USC things like that. Each week would have some great games. Imagine Penn State vs Bama early in the year. Oregon vs Ohio State. Even UK vs Kansas State would be a game most would want see. TCU vs Tennessee. Records would look a ton different. UK might have years that they have a decent team and only with 3 or 4 games. We might have great teams that only win 7. I know it is hard as fans but remembering Oklahoma vs Kentucky or Penn State vs Kentucky in the regular season growing up is missed. Notre Dame vs Kentucky would be a great watch and worth the price of admission.

Agree. Forgot about that. I hate west coast football of any type. lol

So we could say UNC vs USC things like that. Each week would have some great games. Imagine Penn State vs Bama early in the year. Oregon vs Ohio State. Even UK vs Kansas State would be a game most would want see. TCU vs Tennessee. Records would look a ton different. UK might have years that they have a decent team and only with 3 or 4 games. We might have great teams that only win 7. I know it is hard as fans but remembering Oklahoma vs Kentucky or Penn State vs Kentucky in the regular season growing up is missed. Notre Dame vs Kentucky would be a great watch and worth the price of admission.

I just think most of you guys have a hard time accepting where your program is today. There isnt a team out there that UK can line up against and expect to lose. This isn't close to the program Mark Stoops took over. If UGA had kept Mark Richt UK would have played for a couple SEC championships because his teams weren't physical on either side of the ball.

The only one in that first group that is a serious threat to UK is Tennessee, more likely enter the UGA game at 4-1. How many post here who are expecting to compete for the East, SEC championship and a playoff spot?

What the changes mean for UGA, it could mean 2-3 or more losses a year. But even with the loss of Monken, I still think we have the best staff in the country right now,

With the playoffs expanding to 12, there will be quite a few teams feeling the belong with between 1-3 losses. I just feel quality wins will be a huge factor in deciding those final spots. I think teams will have to show the committee something that say team X needs to be here because of 7 of their SOS. You know as well as I do, that team 13 and 14 are going to claim they should have been in instead of 11 and 12.

That's my point about UGA...a 10-2 or 9-3 UGA with a bunch of good wins is still an annual contender for the expanded playoff.

I appreciate your optimism about UK, but it's not realistic to expect a 4-1 record against the teams I listed on a consistent basis. I do think UK is capable of that occasional magical season, but if that's what we're tasked with facing each and every year, the odds are not in our favor.

I think the SEC has made a miscalculation. The conference thinks that an expanded playoff will yield a field with 5-6 SEC teams. I think the conference would "deserve" this in most years because most of the best teams with the best talent play in our league. But, I don't think the powers that be want that to happen. So I think there will generally be a cap on the number of teams that are let in. Bringing in two more powers will only make life more difficult for those of us in the league.

That's my point about UGA...a 10-2 or 9-3 UGA with a bunch of good wins is still an annual contender for the expanded playoff.

I appreciate your optimism about UK, but it's not realistic to expect a 4-1 record against the teams I listed on a consistent basis. I do think UK is capable of that occasional magical season, but if that's what we're tasked with facing each and every year, the odds are not in our favor.

I think the SEC has made a miscalculation. The conference thinks that an expanded playoff will yield a field with 5-6 SEC teams. I think the conference would "deserve" this in most years because most of the best teams with the best talent play in our league. But, I don't think the powers that be want that to happen. So I think there will generally be a cap on the number of teams that are let in. Bringing in two more powers will only make life more difficult for those of us in the league.
Those are all guesses.

You don't know who Kentucky can beat in the future. 10 years ago, lots of people thought Kentucky would not play in a bowl again in the foreseeable future. Even now, the common narrative is that UK cannot sign high school quarterbacks or run a successful offense. This is blind thinking.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrschwump
Dropping the series will be okay with UK fans until the Cats go 9-3 and narrowly miss the playoffs while UofL goes 11-2 and gets one of the at large bids over UK….
If 9 wins was the most U of L could muster with Superman at QB, I have no concerns they can pitch a 10 or an 11 game regular season even in the ACC.

As of today as I see things, even with the addition of 2 teams, UK is top 6. The only ones who are better right now are Bama, LSU, UT and UGA, that doesn't mean automatic losses it means very likely underdogs. If OU doesn't bounce back top 5. I think UK is favorite against everyone else. But AU should be better this year, hard to imagine UF with worse QB play than last year.

If Louisville is removed from our schedule, would that have an effect on the recruitment of players from Jefferson County ??

If Louisville is removed from our schedule, would that have an effect on the recruitment of players from Jefferson County ??
It would have no effect really. It just sad that people are afraid to compete these days. Imagine saying you get nothing out of beating a rival. That’s why the NBA All Star game, Big Blue Madness Scrimmage, the Pro Bowl, and Spring Games are now a joke, everyone is afraid to compete these days.

Reactions: Lamar Card
All the "UL means nothing to UK" talk is funny...

You know who doesn't mean anything to the program competitively, recruiting wise, the state, and fans generally speaking...all the directional and commuter schools around Lake Erie we play...

I'll take UL over any of our OOC opponents.

"Buh buh buh...easy wins..."

We're not coming off NCAA sanctions and rebuilding a program with an old, retired fly fisherman anymore.

We are not struggling with money, resources, facilities.

We have good to great coaches. They are hauling in NFL caliber talent on the regular. The program is making money. The facilities have been upgraded and more renovations upgrades are in the works.

UL is more often than not a win nowadays, and it's a P5 win to boot. It's also a big game for instate recruiting.

CMS gets paid 8 million, the players are starting to get paid...they can handle UL and an additional conference game.

All the "UL means nothing to UK" talk is funny...

You know who doesn't mean anything to the program competitively, recruiting wise, the state, and fans generally speaking...all the directional and commuter schools around Lake Erie we play...

I'll take UL over any of our OOC opponents.

"Buh buh buh...easy wins..."

We're not coming off NCAA sanctions and rebuilding a program with an old, retired fly fisherman anymore.

We are not struggling with money, resources, facilities.

We have good to great coaches. They are hauling in NFL caliber talent on the regular. The program is making money. The facilities have been upgraded and more renovations upgrades are in the works.

UL is more often than not a win nowadays, and it's a P5 win to boot. It's also a big game for instate recruiting.

CMS gets paid 8 million, the players are starting to get paid...they can handle UL and an additional conference game.
It is highly-unlikely that KY will be playing in the SEC Championship game on anything close to a fairly-regular basis, if even EVER, so keeping an in-state rivalry game makes good sense to me and gives both players and fans an exciting day of football. Keep UL on the schedule, I say.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
Those are all guesses.

You don't know who Kentucky can beat in the future. 10 years ago, lots of people thought Kentucky would not play in a bowl again in the foreseeable future. Even now, the common narrative is that UK cannot sign high school quarterbacks or run a successful offense. This is blind thinking.

It's not "blind thinking", it's a prediction based on historic football success, and more importantly, resources that a given school pours into its football program in an effort to win titles. Schools like Tennessee, Florida, Auburn, and LSU don't sit still when they're losing football games. They Demand a lot. I'm not pessimistic about UK in football, I think we can win big here. But, do I think we can win 10-12 games a year in a 16 team SEC with a 9 game schedule and no divisions? No, not consistently.

Funny how some fans focus is on UL but never a word about how we can win all of SEC games. Or the best way to win the conference and a championship or two. Just so UL is on the schedule for excitement. Look at our roster versus GA, AL, LSU and TN. We aren't there yet depth wise. Need to be realistic with what our roster can handle. And another SEC game and TX and OK coming in, it only gets harder. Replacing UL with another SEC game should be more exciting for the fans. For some I guess not.

It would have no effect really. It just sad that people are afraid to compete these days. Imagine saying you get nothing out of beating a rival. That’s why the NBA All Star game, Big Blue Madness Scrimmage, the Pro Bowl, and Spring Games are now a joke, everyone is afraid to compete these days.
I was watching UK for years before UL came on our schedule.I have loved beating them if the UK staff feels we should drop them when the schedule gets way tuffest then so be it. UK has helped UL way more than they have helped us. If UL wants to drop UK I could care less. You have drove this into the ground.

But, do I think we can win 10-12 games a year in a 16 team SEC with a 9 game schedule and no divisions? No, not consistently.
Calculated outcomes of future schedules by some analysts have 9-3 SEC teams being in the 12 team CFB playoffs very frequently.

Only 1 each from ACC, Big 12, Pac 12, Group 5. 1 by Notre Dame usually.
7 remaining spots divided between Big 10 & SEC. Some yrs 1 gets 4, the other 3, then it flips.

Calculated outcomes of future schedules by some analysts have 9-3 SEC teams being in the 12 team CFB playoffs very frequently.

7 remaining spots divided between Big 10 & SEC. Some yrs 1 gets 4, the other 3, then it flips.

4 of those 7 spots will go to the 2 teams in the championship games, so in reality there will be 3 open spots. Those 3 spots will come down to quality wins. Need more opportunities for quality wins, not less.

I had a Tard tell me that Stoops fathered two children with two different women outside of his marriage and that UK covered it up. I know he's divorced but you wonder where these morons come up with such bull$***.

Lord those kinds of UL fan are dumb

The off field exploits of Petrino, Strong, Pitino, Jurich, Ramsey give fools like that zero, zero room to rumor monger at all

• Love
Reactions: The-Hack
I had a Tard tell me that Stoops fathered two children with two different women outside of his marriage and that UK covered it up. I know he's divorced but you wonder where these morons come up with such bull$***.
If dna proves it the children will be well taken care of

I watch a ton of football. Every year, I watch the pollsters (and the committee) rank 10-2 Utah or 11-1 Cincinnati ahead of 9-3 LSU or 9-3 UK and I just have to laugh. People will always want to "spread the wealth" and put other conference teams ahead of the 4th or 5th seC team. I think it's funny that so many people believe that the powers that be are content to hold their noses and let the SEC make up half of the 12 team playoff. Not happening, IMO

I watch a ton of football. Every year, I watch the pollsters (and the committee) rank 10-2 Utah or 11-1 Cincinnati ahead of 9-3 LSU or 9-3 UK and I just have to laugh. People will always want to "spread the wealth" and put other conference teams ahead of the 4th or 5th seC team. I think it's funny that so many people believe that the powers that be are content to hold their noses and let the SEC make up half of the 12 team playoff. Not happening, IMO

Cinncy was very good a couple of years, the number of players they had who went to the NFL was impressive. SEC hasn't showed it was far superior the last couple of bowl seasons. The argument of SEC number 8 getting beat by a number 5 doesn't fit if the conference is far superior. It would if conferences are fairly equal. Outside of 3-5 big10 teams and 3-5 SEC teams most teams are fairly equal

Outside of 3-5 big10 teams and 3-5 SEC teams most teams are fairly equal
So, you are saying, remove the Top 1/3rd of the SEC, and the rest are equal to them?

I doubt that either draft day or NSD agree with that, but lopping off the Top third of the SEC would be a start toward equality with the PAC and ACC.

But if you don’t “Lopoff” the Top 3-5 of other conferences for comparison, you come up with a false equivalency.

“Lop off” the Top 3-5 of the ACC, the PAC-12 and the Big 12, and you are below Vanderbilt on average.

Last edited:
No school in the power 5 (hell, AAC teams either) would agree to that scheduling

I still think it is funny Stoops had no problem keeping the next game in the series at their place after the forced covid yr 2020 absence, but Calipari threw a hiss fit at doing the same.
No basketball game was missed.

So, you are saying, remove the Top 1/3rd of the SEC, and the rest are equal to them?

I doubt that either draft day or NSD agree with that, but lopping off the Top third of the SEC would be a start toward equality with the PAC and ACC.

But if you don’t “Lopoff” the Top 3-5 of other conferences for comparison, you come up with a false equivalency.

“Lop off” the Top 3-5 of the ACC, the PAC-12 and the Big 12, and you are below Vanderbilt on average.

Huh? No idea where the lopping off comes from. I said outside of 3-5 teams in the SEC and BIG10 there pretty good parity among the conferences. The only teams out of play would be Bama, LSU, UGA, TN, UK. I think those are the too 5 SEC teams now, after Mich, PSU, and OSU the rest are on par with the other conferences.

I sure as he** hope those analysts are some hybrid of Alan Turing and Nostradamus because the entire value-added quotient of being in the SEC for all of the "not currently Ala/Ga" teams is entirely predicated on those "calculated outcomes" becoming the consensus opinion and not being overwhelmed by all of the inevitable loud whining about unfairness and a lack of balance from every fan, team and media member from outside of the SEC (and eventually BIG10) circle.

Cinncy was very good a couple of years, the number of players they had who went to the NFL was impressive. SEC hasn't showed it was far superior the last couple of bowl seasons. The argument of SEC number 8 getting beat by a number 5 doesn't fit if the conference is far superior. It would if conferences are fairly equal. Outside of 3-5 big10 teams and 3-5 SEC teams most teams are fairly equal
Completely disagree. SEC mid tier teams routinely beat the best other conferences have to offer. The SEC has owned the Big 10 in their head to head bowl games. The SEC gets the best players and puts the most resources into football and it shows.

Completely disagree. SEC mid tier teams routinely beat the best other conferences have to offer. The SEC has owned the Big 10 in their head to head bowl games. The SEC gets the best players and puts the most resources into football and it shows.

Really? Then how do you explain the 5 losses in the 22-23 bowl season? Take away the 4 top teams who were 5-0, the SEC was 2-5 this past bowl season season. That hardly screams our mid level teams can dominate other conferences. I do agree the SEC puts more resources into football other than a few other teams out there.

Two fold with UL. Not only the best for us to not play them now but it is best for them to play us. Do the fans that want to play UL realize that it helps UL, so why do you want to help UL?

He got it from this board. The board where some people make up lies for their agenda just like with NIL. Back in Stoops struggle days some of Cats Illustrated finest post that he was living in a hotel and got a coed knocked up. Just like with most BS lies that are posted here some of the sheep accepted it as fact.

Reactions: Lamar Card
Two fold with UL. Not only the best for us to not play them now but it is best for them to play us. Do the fans that want to play UL realize that it helps UL, so why do you want to help UL?

That's a cop out excuse, if everyone felt like that we would have about 20 games a year total. What exactly does playing Vandy do to help its opponents?

That's a cop out excuse, if everyone felt like that we would have about 20 games a year total. What exactly does playing Vandy do to help its opponents?
Must be something to it because Stoops feels the same way. He knows our personnel, what we can handle and is focused on winning a championship. Not a meaningless game that can only hurt our chances of achieving that. I don't say it just because Stoops says it. I know how much pressure there is on that game and 9 conference games with that pressure and another one for good measure does not have to be. We don't have a roster full of mostly 4 and 5 stars. If we ever get to that point where injuries aren't as much an issue as they are now then the thought process might change.

Must be something to it because Stoops feels the same way. He knows our personnel, what we can handle and is focused on winning a championship. Not a meaningless game that can only hurt our chances of achieving that. I don't say it just because Stoops says it. I know how much pressure there is on that game and 9 conference games with that pressure and another one for good measure does not have to be. We don't have a roster full of mostly 4 and 5 stars. If we ever get to that point where injuries aren't as much an issue as they are now then the thought process might change.

Kirby says the opposite and it seems to be working pretty well. UGA will be playing 11 teams that are P5 schools, 9 SEC alone with GT and Clemson. 23 is awful because SEC forced us to drop OU. I juries can happen anytime, even with no contact.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT