ADVERTISEMENT

Should we keep or drop the U of L Game with the 9 Game SEC Meat-grinder?

Keep the Louisville Annual Game?

• Drop them like a Rock!

Votes: 92 54.1%
  • Keep the annual Rivalry!

Votes: 78 45.9%

• Total voters
Appreciate those who want it, but there ain't no way we would drop UL and replace them with other Big 10 or ACC schools

So it is either 2 easy ooc + UL, or 3 easy oocs

I've always said drop them. Sure its a fun little rivalry but in the grand scheme of things, they need the game much more than we do. My reason for dropping isn't out of fear, it's strategic. We already live in a state where talent is limited as far as D1 recruits go. Don't prop them up and allow them to be relevant and you could likely eliminate major competition. Of course, this should've been done when they were CUSA. Now that they're in the ACC, it may be tougher but they could still be a bottom feeder.

I think now that we are making our true rival (Tennessee) more of a rivalry feel (still need to pull our weight more), we can afford to drop UL. Rotate the Louisville slot on the schedule with WVU, Cincy, UNC, VT, or someone. They're regional but not direct recruiting competition.

Appreciate those who want it, but there ain't no way we would drop UL and replace them with other Big 10 or ACC schools

So it is either 2 easy ooc + UL, or 3 easy oocs
I seldom "agree" with JHB but I do here. :)

Peace

As I’ve said before, we can’t give up a home game. Net, play them only at Kroger like once every 2-4 years.

SEC football teams are not obligated to play an ACC team every year. Some do due to individual teams' traditions, but not all do. I know Aubrun, MSU and Mizzou don't. There are probably more.

Sure, but one of the damndest games played in Kroger the last 4 years was little FCS Chattanooga who pushed a sluggish Kentucky around pretty good for three quarters.

Hell, Kent looked good against UGA for more than a half, recently.

Yes, those were not games on the level of P5 Top 20, but I sweated and cheered my arse off against Chattanooga in 2021, and the Bulldogs did against Kent in 2022.

We can’t play a Top 10 team every week, but with this new schedule, we will all see more compelling matchups than we ever have.

You talking about 2 games over a 4 year period, hardly a pattern. I just don't get wanting to play the easiest schedule possible with 3 directional schools as your OOC games and hoping for Vandy, Missouri and State as the permanent SEC opponents.

Reactions: gojvc
SEC football teams are not obligated to play an ACC team every year. Some do due to individual teams' traditions, but not all do. I know Aubrun, MSU and Mizzou don't. There are probably more.

No but the 3 others that do want to play them every year. Clemson has owned Carolina the last few years, until 22, and were ready to disobey the SEC only schedule during the covid season and play them anyway. Neither school is going to do much owning the state of Kentucky in recruiting.

As I’ve said before, we can’t give up a home game. Net, play them only at Kroger like once every 2-4 years.
No school in the power 5 (hell, AAC teams either) would agree to that scheduling

I still think it is funny Stoops had no problem keeping the next game in the series at their place after the forced covid yr 2020 absence, but Calipari threw a hiss fit at doing the same.

Last edited:
For comparison: in 2023 only 9 of 133 D-1 CFB teams play zero Power 5 opponents out of conference

Air Force

Boston College

Houston

Liberty

Michigan

Oklahoma*

Oregon State

Central Florida

UCLA

*supposed to be playing Georgia

I am for the power 5 teams only playing each other. Maybe take the total amount of games to 11 regular season games and then post season. Or 2 open dates and the 12 game schedule but still only against power 5 teams. There is no reason someone like Kentucky cannot play Duke, California, Illinois, Oregon State. Same for others. Heck we talk about SEC being right behind NFL. We might as well have a schedule to match. Also would be better TV than UK vs Ball State or UK vs EKU.

No but the 3 others that do want to play them every year. Clemson has owned Carolina the last few years, until 22, and were ready to disobey the SEC only schedule during the covid season and play them anyway. Neither school is going to do much owning the state of Kentucky in recruiting.
I don't deny there are several cross-conference rivalries, as we have a fairly prominent one, but it is not mandated by the conference which was absurd to say when you can clearly see there are multiple teams who don't regularly schedule ACC teams. I could see our UL annual game going away, though I'd prefer we play them, but I wouldn't fight to keep it. How do UGA fans feel about the GaTech game? That doesn't seem like much of a rivalry.

The other issue that is basically being ignored is that once we go to a 9 game SEC slate, the three games left over are all home games. I just don't see any SEC giving away a home game. The amount of money involved is too great. I could see them giving up a game for one of those big Neutral site made for TV games that pays out a ton, but I don't see them doing it just so they can play a game in Louisville every other season.

I don't deny there are several cross-conference rivalries, as we have a fairly prominent one, but it is not mandated by the conference which was absurd to say when you can clearly see there are multiple teams who don't regularly schedule ACC teams. I could see our UL annual game going away, though I'd prefer we play them, but I wouldn't fight to keep it. How do UGA fans feel about the GaTech game? That doesn't seem like much of a rivalry.

We will play them as long as both schools have teams. The rivalry was going the other way until Richt was hired. Tech was competitive until hiring Paul Johnson who alienated every high school coach in Georgia and ran an offense no one wanted to play in. We can't beat them often enough. UGA been playing 10 P5 teams for several years, tech every year, had back to back with Clemson, ND, start another back to back with Clemson in 24, Oregon, had one with OU, but had to drop it for 23. Will likely be playing 11 games a season against what are current P5 teams.

Reactions: satcheluk
The other issue that is basically being ignored is that once we go to a 9 game SEC slate, the three games left over are all home games. I just don't see any SEC giving away a home game. The amount of money involved is too great. I could see them giving up a game for one of those big Neutral site made for TV games that pays out a ton, but I don't see them doing it just so they can play a game in Louisville every other season.

That's just isnt accurate, UGA played 6 games in Athens last year. UF a UGA home game was played in Jax, the Oregon game was in Atlanta. Quite a few teams give up home games to play in an early season opener against a prominent opponent. Opened against Clemson in Charlotte in 21.

Really think there are some fans that basically does not get into knowing our roster every year. Some of them talk like we have 50 four stars and 5 five stars every year. You study and know the roster and our quality depth situation before you should talk about us playing ten tough games a season.

More than likely some cupcake. I have zero interest in watching UGA play the likes of Samford or Middle TN. I had much rather watch us play FSU, Clemson or ND. Could we lose, absolutely, but I rather play a team with a heartbeat than one who is showing up for a check.

A more accurate question would be...how do UK fans feel about playing Georgia in week 6 after playing Florida, Tennessee, Arkansas, Texas, and Auburn in the first five weeks and with a 1-4 record to show for it?

Look at the covid year. UK went 4-6 playing an SEC only schedule.

For Georgia, these changes probably mean an annual 10-2 or 9-3 record. For schools like UK and Ole Miss and Arkansas, it might mean going from an annual 8-4 / 9-3 team to 6-6 (or worse).

Reactions: postmodernprimate
A more accurate question would be...how do UK fans feel about playing Georgia in week 6 after playing Florida, Tennessee, Arkansas, Texas, and Auburn in the first five weeks and with a 1-4 record to show for it?

Look at the covid year. UK went 4-6 playing an SEC only schedule.

For Georgia, these changes probably mean an annual 10-2 or 9-3 record. For schools like UK and Ole Miss and Arkansas, it might mean going from an annual 8-4 / 9-3 team to 6-6 (or worse).

The only one in that first group that is a serious threat to UK is Tennessee, more likely enter the UGA game at 4-1. How many post here who are expecting to compete for the East, SEC championship and a playoff spot?

What the changes mean for UGA, it could mean 2-3 or more losses a year. But even with the loss of Monken, I still think we have the best staff in the country right now,

With the playoffs expanding to 12, there will be quite a few teams feeling the belong with between 1-3 losses. I just feel quality wins will be a huge factor in deciding those final spots. I think teams will have to show the committee something that say team X needs to be here because of 7 of their SOS. You know as well as I do, that team 13 and 14 are going to claim they should have been in instead of 11 and 12.

Everyone in the SEC will play out of conference road games after going to a 9 game schedule, that is silly to think all 16 will just want 3 home easy opponents

The formula isn't hard
4 SEC home games, 5 SEC road games, 2 easy home games. 1 P5 home game
Next yr:
5 SEC home games, 4 SEC road games, 2 easy home games, 1 P5 road games

Gives you a yearly 7 home/5 road split

That's just isnt accurate, UGA played 6 games in Athens last year. UF a UGA home game was played in Jax, the Oregon game was in Atlanta. Quite a few teams give up home games to play in an early season opener against a prominent opponent. Opened against Clemson in Charlotte in 21.
This is actually exactly what I was talking about. UGA isn't playing an OOC home and away. They are playing a neutral site, made for TV game against a major opponent with a massive payout. It more than makes up for a missed home game. Those games will certainly still be played because they represent a lot of revenue. Otherwise, SEC teams will keep OOC games at home and cash in.

Reactions: 270Cat and The-Hack
This is actually exactly what I was talking about. UGA isn't playing an OOC home and away. They are playing a neutral site, made for TV game against a major opponent with a massive payout. It more than makes up for a missed home game. Those games will certainly still be played because they represent a lot of revenue. Otherwise, SEC teams will keep OOC games at home and cash in.

It's about 50-50 on neutral site games and home and home. UGA has done home and home with the Sun Devils, that is Arizona St or Arizona can't remember which, ND, CU, had one scheduled with OU. Played CU, UNC and OU in one of those. Start a home and home with Clemson in 24. In 24 UGA will play 11 P5 teams, no idea who the SEC foes will be.

Still think when we go to 9 conference games a 13th game will be added to the schedule. College football season will start early August.

Dropping the series will be okay with UK fans until the Cats go 9-3 and narrowly miss the playoffs while UofL goes 11-2 and gets one of the at large bids over UK….

• Haha
Reactions: barbourfor3
Exactly. So LV plays us when & where we want or not at all.

Reactions: mrschwump
Still think when we go to 9 conference games a 13th game will be added to the schedule. College football season will start early August.
Need bigger rosters then. 85 just isn't enough when most FR aren't ready plus injuries.

If you are good enough, and by that I mean drawing eyes to made for TV games, then you can make more money in giving up a home game. They networks will make it worth your while to play a big name opponent in a neutral field. We just don't yet have that kind of pull.

No. Impossible.

Check current events, the major rule changes being proposed are to SHORTEN game snaps and therefore amount of total plays for a season. Especially with the 12 team CFB playoff, a 13 game season is not happening in the next 20 yrs.

If anything the SEC should start in late August, and have 2 bye weeks during the regular season. Extra rest and heeling up time will be needed.

No. Impossible.

Check current events, the major rule changes being proposed are to SHORTEN game snaps and therefore amount of total plays for a season. Especially with the 12 team CFB playoff, a 13 game season is not happening in the next 20 yrs.

If anything the SEC should start in late August, and have 2 bye weeks during the regular season. Extra rest and heeling up time will be needed.

Are they going to address the teams that try to run a play every 15 seconds too? That nonsense adds more plays to games than stopping the clock after 1st downs

If you are good enough, and by that I mean drawing eyes to made for TV games, then you can make more money in giving up a home game. They networks will make it worth your while to play a big name opponent in a neutral field. We just don't yet have that kind of pull.
Been calling for UK in a "Kickoff Classic" game for years. UK doesn't have that kind of pull but U6/Ga Tech does? Don't think so.

No. Impossible.

Extra game starting in early Aug will give another bye week.

Need bigger rosters then. 85 just isn't enough when most FR aren't ready plus injuries.
All for more scholarships but good lower divisions teams have been playing 12-15 games a year for years with FEWER scholarships than current FBS teams have now.

Been calling for UK in a "Kickoff Classic" game for years. UK doesn't have that kind of pull but U6/Ga Tech does? Don't think so.
LOL, that is a conference game. Ga Tech agreed to play a home game at Mercedes Benz stadium which is a few miles down the road. The kick off classics usually are two powerhouses that wouldn't normally play each other and they both give up a home game in order to get a big TV payday. UL isn't getting paid extra and they didn't give up a home game. This is just an ACC road game played in a stadium down the street. I suspect Chick fil A couldn't schedule any big name teams, so this was plan B.

I’m in favor of the hardest schedule we can get. Schedule more power 5 teams. Nobody wants to see UK play Akron or Miami OH

• Haha
Reactions: vhcat70
Are they going to address the teams that try to run a play every 15 seconds too? That nonsense adds more plays to games than stopping the clock after 1st downs
Then no two minute warning drills.

I assume there's data showing fast snaps teams run more plays, but I haven't seen any.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT