ADVERTISEMENT

Should we keep or drop the U of L Game with the 9 Game SEC Meat-grinder?

Keep the Louisville Annual Game?

• Drop them like a Rock!

Votes: 92 54.1%
  • Keep the annual Rivalry!

Votes: 78 45.9%

• Total voters
Lots of good thoughts here (and 1 flaming ul troll all should block).

The series is the sin of CM Newton, to save season ticket sales in the early 90's and to keep Bill Curry as head coach. Unquestionably they would not be where they are now, and would not have accomplished what they have over the last 25 yrs without this series. It lifted them up FAR beyond what they were as a bottom of the rung program below group of 5 conf level.

And they damn well would not have built that stadium, but CM put the incentive in the damn series contract for them to do it! Anyone who says they would have built Papa John's without the UK-UL series is either (1)really young and really ignorant as well as uneducated about life in early to mid 1990's, or (2)just a stupid liar. CFB at this time was just beginning the realignment era, moving towards the BCS, the divide between the haves and have not was just starting. UL was WAY on the wrong side of the divide, going from independent to CUSA. Without this series there would have been NO financial or political drive to build a stadium. None.

But thanks to CM, UK dragged them to a new stadium, gave them an SEC opponent to rally against as the sole focus of offseason preparation. They traded that and weeknight ESPN games to higher recognition, then to the Big East the 6th out if 6 BCS conferences, then finally the ACC.

So, here we are, can't change the past, the ink is dry. Reality is UK will probably have to continue playing them. ESPN soon owns all the SEC TV. They already own all ACC. They will lean hard against losing a game that is most years going to draw good ratings on the SEC and ACC tv networks.

And from a perception point of view UK can't drop them while S Carolina continues playing Clemson, Georgia plays Tech, Fl plays FSU. We don't just recruit against them in Jefferson County people, they dip their beaks in the same region we do, Kentucky, Ohio, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida. Really don't want our staff going into schools and the kids & their coaches say "UL was just here, what's this about y'all not being tough enough to keep playing them anymore?".

Personally from a pure football standpoint, what is best for our program roster going forward i wish the series would end, and we play 3 manageable games to develop our young guys and give our starters some snaps off. 9 games is going to be a freaking meat grinder, no one acknowledges this fact. The best recruits and athletes will be slamming into each other 12% more per yr. Injuries will go up, starters lost will go up.

But I think for mostly non football reasons the series will continue 2024 and beyond.
You are 100% correct in your history. Thanks CM for moving the UF game from usually cold weather to usually hot weather.

Jeremy Caudill and Dewayne Robertson hitting Dave Ragone so bad that the announcers were pleading for the o line to help him. That moment meant nothing. Myron Pryor’s 310 pounds of glory 70 yard scoop and score TD was meaningless too. Stevie Johnson and Juice Johnson playing their ass off and upsetting UL in a game we had no business winning after Lamar Jackson fumbled at the 10 was just like beating Central Michigan.

Y’all keep lying to yourselves. Everyone remembers these moments for a reason. No one can tell you their favorite moment from a win over a MAC school. Oh but I’m the troll. 🤭

Been going to the games since Commonwealth Stadium/ Kroger Field opened (1973). One of my favorite memories was the road-game upset of UL in 2016. UK was a 27 point underdog and UL had a generational talent at QB. Still think it was Coach Stoops' most significant win.

In spite of that, have been on the fence regarding this issue.

Reading all the opinions on this thread makes me think that it boils down to : What is best for the fans or what is best for the program to move forward.
For the fans: Keep the game
For the program: Drop the game
I'm going to trust the decision of Coach Stoops.

Reactions: pappy52
I believe the networks will start dictating schedules because of the amount of money they have invested. Outside of UK fanbase no one cares about those directional games and ratings will show that. Will be a tough pill to swallow getting left out of the playoffs because of lack quality wins with 2 losses.

The day U of L lines up a schedule of Texas, Texas A & M, Oklahoma, Bama, Auburn, Florida, Tennessee and LSU, is the day I will give a damn what they or anyone else thinks about Kentucky’s scheduling priorities in the new world we are in.

If Kentucky put together a 10-2 season, going 7-2 against the SEC and 3-0 against the MAC, do we end up in the Top 12?

Hell, yes we do!!!

We might squeeze into the Top 12 at 9-3, given that in any season those three losses could be to teams in the Top Six.

How would beating U of L (with even a slightly more likely loss than to a MAC squad) help us?

It wouldn’t.

And given that it is home-and-home, it will literally cost us money every time we play them on the road, as opposed to seating 80 percent of Kroger Field for a MAC or other G5 program.

The time to act solely in the interests of UK is at hand.

We would be fools to pass up this opportunity.

A few Bowl games will survive the playoffs. Kentucky versus Louisville will be a dream come true for some bowls post 2024, so long as we don’t play them in the regular season.
Hack, you just make to much sense.

Jeremy Caudill and Dewayne Robertson hitting Dave Ragone so bad that the announcers were pleading for the o line to help him. That moment meant nothing. Myron Pryor’s 310 pounds of glory 70 yard scoop and score TD was meaningless too. Stevie Johnson and Juice Johnson playing their ass off and upsetting UL in a game we had no business winning after Lamar Jackson fumbled at the 10 was just like beating Central Michigan.

Y’all keep lying to yourselves. Everyone remembers these moments for a reason. No one can tell you their favorite moment from a win over a MAC school. Oh but I’m the troll. 🤭
We remember those moments....but I remember these more

- Last second TD to CJ Conrad to beat Mizzou
- Bowden bomb in swamp to help win the UF game
- Benny getting all time rushing title in Citrus bowl vs Penn St
- Bowden pass to win Va Tech in Belk Bowl
- Bud Dupree pick six TD to win USC game
- Jamin Davis pick six vs. Tennessee
- Dicky Lyons blowing up LSU DB in huge upset of #1 LSU
- Trevin Wallace blocked FG TD vs. Florida

Point being, we need to win SEC games a whole lot more than UL game. And sure UL game will bring better memories than Miami Oh. But I could also argue, we could move off UL game and go to a series with UNC, Va Tech, etc.. and generate the same level of stuff that UL game does. But in the end, we'll care a whole lot more about SEC games than we ever do UL game now.

I'll leave my editorial on U of L and their trashy program out of it (for now).

I think it becomes more of a practical issue for UK. UK will now be playing 7-8 HEAVYWEIGHTS every single year. UK has a better program than UL and is in a position to continue winning the annual game, but U of L certainly becomes a "losable" game now that Brohm is coach. Even if UK continues winning the game at a 70% pace, those 30% years make life awfully tough for UK considering that we would have the likes of OU, Texas, UF, Bama, Aubie, et al on the schedule.

So, to me, it isn't a matter of how valuable the game is, or if we want to keep playing them. It's just a matter of needing three lighter games to space out among the mindfield of what we will now be facing for the other 9 weeks.

ESPN will have the say IMO with this series along with the other ACC/SEC Rivalry Week games -(Clemson - South Carolina, Florida State - Florida, Georgia Tech - Georgia and Louisville - Kentucky) since they control both conferences … JMO …

We remember those moments....but I remember these more

- Last second TD to CJ Conrad to beat Mizzou
- Bowden bomb in swamp to help win the UF game
- Benny getting all time rushing title in Citrus bowl vs Penn St
- Bowden pass to win Va Tech in Belk Bowl
- Bud Dupree pick six TD to win USC game
- Jamin Davis pick six vs. Tennessee
- Dicky Lyons blowing up LSU DB in huge upset of #1 LSU
- Trevin Wallace blocked FG TD vs. Florida

Point being, we need to win SEC games a whole lot more than UL game. And sure UL game will bring better memories than Miami Oh. But I could also argue, we could move off UL game and go to a series with UNC, Va Tech, etc.. and generate the same level of stuff that UL game does. But in the end, we'll care a whole lot more about SEC games than we ever do UL game now.
Well no one is talking dropping SEC games or bowl games. Some of you guys are claiming the UL game has no meaning and should be dropped but we should play MAC schools. Some the coolest memories in recent history is dominating UL and pulling upsets. The notion that we gain nothing from playing UL is complete nonsense. Rivalries is what college football is all about. Our rivalry game absolutely has meaning to players coaches and most fans.

Yup, basically a meaningless game.
2016 was a different era.

Your video shows Kentucky celebrating a win over 11th ranked U of L, securing the school’s first winning season since 2009 . . . a game in which Kentucky was a 24 point Dog.

And the game was won on a field goal with under 20 seconds left.

2016 was a different era.

Your video shows Kentucky celebrating a win over 11th ranked U of L, securing the school’s first winning season since 2009 . . . a game in which Kentucky was a 24 point Dog.

And the game was won on a field goal with under 20 seconds left.
Oh so it’s just another game name and not that meaningful? OK.

Oh so it’s just another game name and not that meaningful? OK.

When we are celebrating wins over Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A & M, etc., the celebrations you allude to will have been consigned to the trash bin of history.

Look hard enough at history, and our first wins over Vandy and Centre College no doubt produced huge celebrations, as private schools once dominated the college football scene.

But that scene changes, from time-to-time.

And now we enter a New World of College Football, one with new rule$ and new rival$ that will consign U of L to a lower rung, though likely above that of Centre College.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lots of good thoughts here (and 1 flaming ul troll all should block).

The series is the sin of CM Newton, to save season ticket sales in the early 90's and to keep Bill Curry as head coach. Unquestionably they would not be where they are now, and would not have accomplished what they have over the last 25 yrs without this series. It lifted them up FAR beyond what they were as a bottom of the rung program below group of 5 conf level.

And they damn well would not have built that stadium, but CM put the incentive in the damn series contract for them to do it! Anyone who says they would have built Papa John's without the UK-UL series is either (1)really young and really ignorant as well as uneducated about life in early to mid 1990's, or (2)just a stupid liar. CFB at this time was just beginning the realignment era, moving towards the BCS, the divide between the haves and have not was just starting. UL was WAY on the wrong side of the divide, going from independent to CUSA. Without this series there would have been NO financial or political drive to build a stadium. None.

But thanks to CM, UK dragged them to a new stadium, gave them an SEC opponent to rally against as the sole focus of offseason preparation. They traded that and weeknight ESPN games to higher recognition, then to the Big East the 6th out if 6 BCS conferences, then finally the ACC.

So, here we are, can't change the past, the ink is dry. Reality is UK will probably have to continue playing them. ESPN soon owns all the SEC TV. They already own all ACC. They will lean hard against losing a game that is most years going to draw good ratings on the SEC and ACC tv networks.

And from a perception point of view UK can't drop them while S Carolina continues playing Clemson, Georgia plays Tech, Fl plays FSU. We don't just recruit against them in Jefferson County people, they dip their beaks in the same region we do, Kentucky, Ohio, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida. Really don't want our staff going into schools and the kids & their coaches say "UL was just here, what's this about y'all not being tough enough to keep playing them anymore?".

Personally from a pure football standpoint, what is best for our program roster going forward i wish the series would end, and we play 3 manageable games to develop our young guys and give our starters some snaps off. 9 games is going to be a freaking meat grinder, no one acknowledges this fact. The best recruits and athletes will be slamming into each other 12% more per yr. Injuries will go up, starters lost will go up.

But I think for mostly non football reasons the series will continue 2024 and beyond.
Your post is mostly true, but the spin is tinted blue. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Here is what CM Newton expected by agreeing to play UofL in Lexington until UofL built a stadium.
1. There was no support at the state level in Frankfort for UofL to build a stadium. The state never supplied any financial support for the stadium. It was not expected that UofL had enough local support to build a stadium.
2. CMN expected UK football to dominate UofL and UK to benefit financially by playing the game in Lexington every year.
3. Neither a Louisville stadium or need to play anywhere other than Lexington was expected by CMN.
3. Any benefit UofL received was never intended by CMN. The intial series was setup in a fashion to the benefit of UK.

The law of unexpected consequences.
1. UofL lost the first game in Lexington, won the next two, and lost the fourth for an unexpected 2-2 start out of the gate. Not the UK dominance that CMN expected.
2. With a ground swell of local support and NO STATE FUNDING, UofL built a stadium.
3. UofL proceeded to win 7 of the next 9 games including every game played in Lexington. That gave UofL a 9-4 lead in the modern series. UK 10-9 total series.
4. UK then won 4 games in a row. Followed by UofL winning 5 games in a row. The next two were split and UofL led the modern series 15-9. Total series tied 15-15.
5. UK then absolutely dominated 3 straight games with a total of 4 wins in a row.
6. The end result is that UK leads the total series 19-15 and UofL leads the modern series 15-13.

Last edited:
Not the UK dominance that CMN expected.
Lol.

No One in their right mind thought UK would dominate this series, in those early years.

Larry Vaught, at the Danville Advocate, as Blue a resource as was then available, picked UK in 1994, and then (only half-tounge-in-cheek) U of L for the next 22 in the series.

We restarted the series in 1994, with Bill Curry, who had failed to have a winning season in his first 5 seasons, and were in the midst of a 5 game losing streak to Vanderbilt.

When we are celebrating wins over Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A & M, etc., the celebrations you allude to will have been consigned to the trash bin of history.

Look hard enough at history, and our first wins over Vandy and Centre College no doubt produced huge celebrations, as private schools once dominated the college football scene.

But that scene changes, from time-to-time.

And now we enter a New World of College Football, one with new rule$ and new rival$ that will consign U of L to a lower rung, though likely above that of Centre College.
So you’re rejecting an easy win over a power 5 program who happens to be an instate rival? That’s what’s best for UK?

So you’re rejecting an easy win over a power 5 program who happens to be an instate rival? That’s what’s best for UK?
Hey, Magilla, . . . .

[Psssst . . . .].

whispering . . . dude . . . JMI wants the series cancelled. . . thought you would have seen the e-mail?!?!

Hey, Magilla, . . . .

[Psssst . . . .].

whispering . . . dude . . . JMI wants the series cancelled. . . thought you would have seen the e-mail?!?!
Surprised you aren’t asking about some nonsense about JMI charging to play the game. Remember when you asked how much JMI got paid for a player interview because you’re ignorant to how things work? 🤡

Funny how quiet the frauds got when all their lies were proven wrong yet you still wanna run it. Most talented team in modern history on paper despite the ignorance Matty’s special boys spewed.

I’m not a sheep and have my own opinions. If you’re scared you’re scared, I’m not scared of UL.

I am not scared of U6 either, neither is Stoops... U6 does nothing for UK nationally... Time to stop this give away to prop up U^, let them sink to the bottom of the ACC... If you love them so much and want to see them play go watch them.... I want whats best for UK not U6 so drop them like a hot poker...

GBB

Well no one is talking dropping SEC games or bowl games. Some of you guys are claiming the UL game has no meaning and should be dropped but we should play MAC schools. Some the coolest memories in recent history is dominating UL and pulling upsets. The notion that we gain nothing from playing UL is complete nonsense. Rivalries is what college football is all about. Our rivalry game absolutely has meaning to players coaches and most fans.

I remember when UK never played U6 and UT was considered our rival... That is who should be ur rival from the south not that city school to the west... Keep crying about it all you want, if UK drop's them no one will care except U6 gans... Are you one of them???

GBB

Reactions: The-Hack
I remember when UK never played U6 and UT was considered our rival... That is who should be ur rival from the south not that city school to the west... Keep crying about it all you want, if UK drop's them no one will care except U6 gans... Are you one of them???

GBB
Are you one of them? You’re dishonest like one of them. No one will care, LOL. Keep pretending fans and players don’t like beating them. Just because you’re scared to lose to them.

• Haha
Reactions: Ky grandpa
I believe the networks will start dictating schedules because of the amount of money they have invested. Outside of UK fanbase no one cares about those directional games and ratings will show that. Will be a tough pill to swallow getting left out of the playoffs because of lack quality wins with 2 losses.
Y'all listen to this man, he understands and knows college football.

Are you one of them? You’re dishonest like one of them. No one will care, LOL. Keep pretending fans and players don’t like beating them. Just because you’re scared to lose to them.

I love beating them dude... Nothing feels better than beating that city college down the I-64... I can't stand them and not afraid of them like you are pretending to not be a fan of them...
Keep spouting that garbage, no one cares if we beat them but a few cry baby fans who are to young to remember the real team to the south is our rival... NOw go cry some more....

GBB

I love beating them dude... Nothing feels better than beating that city college down the I-64... I can't stand them and not afraid of them like you are pretending to not be a fan of them...
Keep spouting that garbage, no one cares if we beat them but a few cry baby fans who are to young to remember the real team to the south is our rival... NOw go cry some more....

GBB
Spot on. UK is much more than a state school. It has a nationwide / worldwide fan base and recruits more out of state than in-state. Let's beat Tennessee

Last edited:

GBB
Nothing feels better than beating them but let’s drop them and continue playing MAC schools. WE CARE IF WE BEAT THEM, they care that they lose to use. Why are y’all so worried about what people think? LOL at your clown logic.

Drop them. The game literally means the world to them and is their best ticket to relevance. We should stop throwing them that life preserver and let them sink.

Schedule another annual home game to increase revenue
I would like to keep our rivalry. It's a game for bragging rights. I'll never understand dropping rivalry games. Dropping the IU game in basketball annoyed me too.

Nothing feels better than beating them but let’s drop them and continue playing MAC schools. WE CARE IF WE BEAT THEM, they care that they lose to use. Why are y’all so worried about what people think? LOL at your clown logic.
I agree with your comments on the topic. For most of my life we have been bad to average in football. So when we are able to beat a bad to average UL program it HAS meant a lot. I am ready for us to make the next step and be a really good program, Competing at the top of the SEC. Once we are there, and I think we will be, that UL game can go away.

I don't know much, but I know ESPN isn't going to be real excited with UGA-Samford or UK-Akron going against Michigan vs Notre Dame on NBC. It's all about the dollar.
Grumpy, there will be multiple premier SEC matchups every week to counter the occassional moment that Norte Dame plays a real opponent.

I think Texas/LSU might draw close to the viewership of next Norte Dame/Marshall slugfest!

Grumpy, there will be multiple premier SEC matchups every week to counter the occassional moment that Norte Dame plays a real opponent.

I think Texas/LSU might draw close to the viewership of next Norte Dame/Marshall slugfest!

Notre Dame isn't in a conference, Marshall isn't in a P5 conference yet, so apples to oranges comparison. The card fan said they were playing UGA in 26 and 27, UGA will also be playing GT those years.

I really think having the conference broken into a bottom half and a top half is ridiculous. If that's how it goes conference should keep 25% of those 8's payoff and give it to the 8 who are carrying them.

Grumpy, you juxtaposed a poor UGA matchup with Sanford, or Kentucky with Akron, suggesting the Norte Dame matchup would be better. You introduced the “apples to oranges” by using two SEC’s G5 opponents to suggest losing out to the “Notre Dame/Michigan” game.

My point: Notre Dame plays the likes of Navy and other G5’s, having lost at home to Marshall, recently.

Every week in the SEC, (unless there are no inter-conference games the first two or three weeks of a season), there will be matchups that demand attention.

Yes, Georgia might have a Sanford and
Kentucky an Akron, but that same week, who will Texas, Oklahoma, A & M, LSU, UTe, Auburn, Florida or Bama be playing? If there are any matchups between these programs, all of which have won a national title in the last 27 years, those premier games in the SEC will matchup well with the Notre Dame/Michigan tilt, or any game offered by the Big Ten.

Reactions: delk4three
Grumpy, you juxtaposed a poor UGA matchup with Sanford, or Kentucky with Akron, suggesting the Norte Dame matchup would be better. You introduced the “apples to oranges” by using two SEC’s G5 opponents to suggest losing out to the “Notre Dame/Michigan” game.

My point: Notre Dame plays the likes of Navy and other G5’s, having lost at home to Marshall, recently.

Every week in the SEC, (unless there are no inter-conference games the first two or three weeks of a season), there will be matchups that demand attention.

Yes, Georgia might have a Sanford and
Kentucky an Akron, but that same week, who will Texas, Oklahoma, A & M, LSU, UTe, Auburn, Florida or Bama be playing? If there are any matchups between these programs, all of which have won a national title in the last 27 years, those premier games in the SEC will matchup well with the Notre Dame/Michigan tilt, or any game offered by the Big Ten.

More than likely some cupcake. I have zero interest in watching UGA play the likes of Samford or Middle TN. I had much rather watch us play FSU, Clemson or ND. Could we lose, absolutely, but I rather play a team with a heartbeat than one who is showing up for a check.

I had much rather watch us play FSU, Clemson or ND.
Sure, but one of the damndest games played in Kroger the last 4 years was little FCS Chattanooga who pushed a sluggish Kentucky around pretty good for three quarters.

Hell, Kent looked good against UGA for more than a half, recently.

Yes, those were not games on the level of P5 Top 20, but I sweated and cheered my arse off against Chattanooga in 2021, and the Bulldogs did against Kent in 2022.

We can’t play a Top 10 team every week, but with this new schedule, we will all see more compelling matchups than we ever have.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT