ADVERTISEMENT

Serious Question: Where do you draw the line?

I haven’t done any research but I’d be willing to bet gerrymandering is a much easier way to get the votes versus amnesty for illegal immigrants.
Easier, maybe (no research either) but, if you do both, would not results be much faster?

Build a train from our southern border to Canada. Everythings better in Canada right?
Naw...per NYT, they xenophobes too

The migrants were hoping to benefit from a loophole in a United States-Canada treaty that allowed them to make refugee claims in Canada if they did not arrive at legal ports of entry, but crossed the border illegally.

But Canadian officials are warning that even liberal Canada has its limits amid concerns, fairly or not, that illegal migration is stretching the immigration system to a breaking point and risks stoking a potential backlash.

Canada’s minister of immigration, Ahmed Hussen, himself a former refugee who moved to the country from Somalia when he was 16, said Canada was proud to be a welcoming country but could not welcome everyone. Only about 8 percent of Haitian migrants had received asylum here since the summer, he said, while there is a backlog of about 40,700 cases, according to Canada’s Immigration and Refugee Board.

“We don’t want people to illegally enter our border, and doing so is not a free ticket to Canada,” Mr. Hussen said in an interview. “We are saying, ‘You will be apprehended, screened, detained, fingerprinted, and if you can’t establish a genuine claim, you will be denied refugee protection and removed.’ ”

Beto just lost by one percent and the DNC has actively bragged about turning it blue. Jesus, I am using your party's stated goal. The act of liberals pretending to care about these migrants is stupid.

AZ just went blue from red with a poor candidate.

Immigration has turned VA, NV, NM, and CO from toss up states to lean blue. FL is holding for now.

Lone Star dreams: How Democrats plan to turn Texas blue

http://www.msnbc.com/hardball/lone-star-dreams-how-democrats-plan-turn

For those interested in the financial impact of illegals coming and dropping anchor babies. A government report. not the ravings of a xenophobe Illegal immigrants get plenty of free stuff indirectly through their kids.

This is a 1997 report and it was mind-boggling. It's gotta be absolutely crazy 20 years later.

https://www.gao.gov/assets/230/224907.pdf

Last edited:
We should make CA, IL, and NY sanctuary states and let them live with it.

The US is over $20 Trillion in debt. We have millions living in poverty. Many of those people include Veterans. Drugs are pouring into this country. Our infrastructure is crumbling. Our school systems are crumbling. The list goes on and on. We already spend billions upon billions being a welfare state for millions of Americans and Illegals.

So, let's just let millions more into this country illegally who are going to strain our taxpayers even further, many will break laws, some even worse (terrorists), and mainly just be deadbeats to our society. We have enough of those types as it is. We do not need anymore of them.

For those who want to come in legally, work hard (we need their labor), stay off government assistance, obey our laws, and just be good neighbors and citizens then I am more than happy for them to come.

And the benefit
Low end wage suppression
Low end housing shortage
Resource drain in mostly poor schools
Slow human and drug trafficking
Slow growth in illegal detainments (50k per month which is asinine), the resources it takes to manage that has to be astronomical

It is all painfully simple but the real answer on why it is being allowed to the degree that major voices on the left are calling for ICE to be abolished is that your side wants to turn TX and a few other key states blue so you have an insurmountable electoral bloc.

But focusing on our end goal, ie. what we are trying to get from a wall or enhanced security, how many of these things will really be improved? I’m not asking that as a pundit but from a position of skepticism and fiscal conservativisn.

Starting with cartels, these people have huge financial incentives for getting drugs in the country. If there is a wall, they will go under it, over it or around it. They have the resources to do that. It’d be a temporary obstacle at most.

Developers and building owners are more than happy to build houses if there is a market for it. And just because a person starts low wage doesn’t mean they won’t advance the socioeconomic ladder. Statistics show this to be fluid.

Education is your best argument. ESL kids definitely put stress on public schools. But this isn’t a new problem either and ESL kids tend to adjust a lot quicker than their parents.

But one thing you are neglecting is how a large workforce also benefits the economy. Yes, more competition leads to decreased wages, but that also allows companies to slash cost of goods, which is a gain to the rest of the population.

I am not saying it’s all roses. There are definitely issues to address, but there a legit reasons for skepticism, none of which have to do with abolishing ICE or <insert random liberal cause here>.

And the benefit

But focusing on our end goal, ie. what we are trying to get from a wall or enhanced security, how many of these things will really be improved? I’m not asking that as a pundit but from a position of skepticism and fiscal conservativisn.

Starting with cartels, these people have huge financial incentives for getting drugs in the country. If there is a wall, they will go under it, over it or around it. They have the resources to do that. It’d be a temporary obstacle at most.

Developers and building owners are more than happy to build houses if there is a market for it. And just because a person starts low wage doesn’t mean they won’t advance the socioeconomic ladder. Statistics show this to be fluid.

Education is your best argument. ESL kids definitely put stress on public schools. But this isn’t a new problem either and ESL kids tend to adjust a lot quicker than their parents.

But one thing you are neglecting is how a large workforce also benefits the economy. Yes, more competition leads to decreased wages, but that also allows companies to slash cost of goods, which is a gain to the rest of the population.

I am not saying it’s all roses. There are definitely issues to address, but there a legit reasons for skepticism, none of which have to do with abolishing ICE or <insert random liberal cause here>.
But, in all of this so far no one has answered how much is enough or more importantly too much. We can't save the world.

Reactions: Phil_The_Music
But, in all of this so far no one has answered how much is enough or more importantly too much. We can't save the world.

I don’t know the answer. But I take a few road trips a year and there is a hell of a lot of undeveloped land in this country.

Part of it is the assumption that these people will be a drain on society or just contribute to blight. Then one day we will wake up and it’ll be too late. I don’t think people should fear that. Shit changes and that’s just the way it is. It can be a good thing.

Take a place like Kentucky with only about 4 million people. We are a small state relatively. Bringing in new people is a good thing. I’d like to see the corridor from Louisville to Lexington lined with civilization and things to do. Put a light rail between them. Develop it. That doesn’t make me a liberal, it makes me a ****ing capitalist. Ok. Rant over.

Do undocumented immigrants get welfare, WIC, etc? I don't personally know that answer, but common sense says that they don't.

They go to school, use roads,
And what’s the pay off?

The payoff is that the descendants of legal Americans will still have a functional country.

I challenge you to show me any country in history that allowed unchecked movement of peoples across borders and didn’t cease to exist.

Painful truth: the people coming to America and Europe do not share the same culture as Americans and Europeans. A house divided against itself can’t stand for long.

I don’t know the answer. But I take a few road trips a year and there is a hell of a lot of undeveloped land in this country.

Part of it is the assumption that these people will be a drain on society or just contribute to blight. Then one day we will wake up and it’ll be too late. I don’t think people should fear that. Shit changes and that’s just the way it is. It can be a good thing.

Take a place like Kentucky with only about 4 million people. We are a small state relatively. Bringing in new people is a good thing. I’d like to see the corridor from Louisville to Lexington lined with civilization and things to do. Put a light rail between them. Develop it. That doesn’t make me a liberal, it makes me a ****ing capitalist. Ok. Rant over.
Actually, it doesn’t make you a capitalist. Now if you are going to be the one risking your capital developing that corridor, you would be a capitalist. Otherwise, you are just a dreamer.

I think what you describe, unfortunately, illustrates economic ignorance. The availability of land to put people does not guarantee the economy can create sustainable employment to support those additional people. Your argument carried out to its extreme implies that we could fill up every inch of space with immigrants and the economy would automatically grow at a pace necessary to supply them with sustainable employment. Unfortunately, it doesn’t work that way. That will be especially true of unskilled, uneducated masses of people fleeing poverty. Those people won’t magically be able to fill high paying skilled jobs and create economic growth based on their skill level. What you describe is just not a realistic scenario. I hope you were being somewhat facisious.

Reactions: qwesley

The ones you bring in are not proven and many who have crossed the border in the southwest are gang members setting up drug trades and human sex/slave trafficking. That would spread along those corridors too if not vetted properly.

Aerial surveillance, including drones, satellites, cameras, but you still have to have adequate boarder patrol personnel.

No. I absolutely do not want to drone bomb the border. I want the end of the journey to be more difficult so people might not start the illegal journey to begin with. You think that lady in the frozen shirt with her 2 kids is going to jump a wall?

To go along with the wall, end the war on drugs so cartels don't run central America, and fix the legal immigration process so the incentives to ignore the immigration process aren't as great.

Actually, it doesn’t make you a capitalist. Now if you are going to be the one risking your capital developing that corridor, you would be a capitalist. Otherwise, you are just a dreamer.

I think what you describe, unfortunately, illustrates economic ignorance. The availability of land to put people does not guarantee the economy can create sustainable employment to support those additional people. Your argument carried out to its extreme implies that we could fill up every inch of space with immigrants and the economy would automatically grow at a pace necessary to supply them with sustainable employment. Unfortunately, it doesn’t work that way. That will be especially true of unskilled, uneducated masses of people fleeing poverty. Those people won’t magically be able to fill high paying skilled jobs and create economic growth based on their skill level. What you describe is just not a realistic scenario. I hope you were being somewhat facisious.

A lot of straw man arguments here that I’m quite frankly not going to waste my time with. But I will tell you what is absolutely not capitalist: economic protectionism.

We now live in a time where conservatives and people calling themselves libertarian support government intervention in markets with goal of artificially inflating wages.

Taking in refugees and or helping poor people is a good thing to do but, the world is a big place and there are a lot of poor people with no skills out there who will be living off of the government dime, aka, your dime. How many is more than we can handle? What do we do with those who commit serious crimes in there country and are escaping to avoid prosecution?
In the sand.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT