ADVERTISEMENT

Seofblue writer says Diallo is gone

College is a business. They may be what they're selling but it's to benefit themselves on selling this dream.

I work for a university. This is what we sell to kids as a means to make money and benefit us. You think we want a kid to go to another school and give them the money? You think we care about another kid's dream who didn't go to our school?

Don't mistaken the product a university sells for the actual motive.

None of us would care one iota about these people if they didn't play for Kentucky. We like basketball. That's what we care about. We care about what helps the success of the program. That's it.

Whatever their motive, their purpose is the thing I said. I'm giving means, you're giving ends.

Personally my only intetest is UK. Im not interested in having 40 NBA players and UK not winning title after title.
I love Cal, but Im 100% all about UK
This kid leaves with out ever even suiting up and that leaves a bad taste.
Does Cal warmly embrace him on draft night in NYC.
Do we claim him as another UK player in the NBA?

UK doesn't win national titles that often. 4 in 60 years. Let's not act like calipari has brought uk down with his recruiting strategy.

If Diallo goes it will make for an epic "Angry Hitler" clip.....
hitler-angry-o.gif

Reactions: musrat59 and JDHoss
The thing about Diallo is he's a guard in a guard era. He could very well come back and play himself into a lotto lock. He could also come back and prove he can't shoot among other things.

The fact that he didn't go 5 on 5 pretty much told me that Cal n others close to him didn't want folks to see something. They wanted to sell the league on his freak athletic measurements, health (no nagging/lingering injuries from the season), youth, and fact that he had no bad film.

Also, as i've said in other posts the fact that multiple teams have multiple picks in his projected range is really something that plays in his favor. For those teams Diallo will have incredible value as he could very well be a lotto talent who's available late first early second, and they have extra picks and a more room for error.

Reactions: BoxterS
You want evidence that Diallo came here intending to jump into the draft if possible? Tell me how many minutes he logged on the court in a UK jersey. If he is a 1st Round NBA pick, he should have played.
2nd highest vertical in the history of the Combine? He should have played. Freaky athletic with quickness? He should have played.
You can't tell me the ''17 squad couldn't have used a guy with all those attributes. If he wasn't given a scholarship with the intention of him actually playing then, there was another reason he was here.

The thing about Diallo is he's a guard in a guard era. He could very well come back and play himself into a lotto lock. He could also come back and prove he can't shoot among other things.

The fact that he didn't go 5 on 5 pretty much told me that Cal n others close to him didn't want folks to see something. They wanted to sell the league on his freak athletic measurements, health (no nagging/lingering injuries from the season), youth, and fact that he had no bad film.

Also, as i've said in other posts the fact that multiple teams have multiple picks in his projected range is really something that plays in his favor. For those teams Diallo will have incredible value as he could very well be a lotto talent who's available late first early second, and they have extra picks and a more room for error.

How do you conclude from Diallo not playing at the combine, that Cal was behind that decision, or played a role in it? Cal has advised players to come back and they've gone anyway. They don't always listen to him.

Reactions: Calsthebomb
Why doesn't his decision not to play any minutes at UK last season count as "evidence" or an indication that he intended to turn pro from the beginning? The stated reason for him not playing was that he wasn't ready or some such thing. But he's suddenly ready to try out for NBA teams? Come on. I don't think he's coming back, and I don't think he ever intended to. And I think there's logical support for that opinion. Of course, I could be wrong, something that those on the other side of the issue don't seem willing to concede. (And this isn't an attack on Diallo. In his shoes, I might have done the same thing. Who knows?)
Great question.

You want evidence that Diallo came here intending to jump into the draft if possible? Tell me how many minutes he logged on the court in a UK jersey. If he is a 1st Round NBA pick, he should have played.
2nd highest vertical in the history of the Combine? He should have played. Freaky athletic with quickness? He should have played.
You can't tell me the ''17 squad couldn't have used a guy with all those attributes. If he wasn't given a scholarship with the intention of him actually playing then, there was another reason he was here.

Faulty logic. Wynyard came on about the same time as Diallo, was offered the chance to play and didn't. Was that proof he intended to jump into the draft as soon as possible?

Reactions: brianpoe
The fact that anyone of you question Cal's decision, or the opportunity for a kid to get an education and go to college, is frankly disgusting. Keep up the negativity and hate, I'm sure it's a good look on our fan base.

And, it works both ways, our guards got to practice against an elite player, you don' think that made Fox/Monk/Briscoe better??

The fact that anyone of you question Cal's decision, or the opportunity for a kid to get an education and go to college, is frankly disgusting. Keep up the negativity and hate, I'm sure it's a good look on our fan base.

And, it works both ways, our guards got to practice against an elite player, you don' think that made Fox/Monk/Briscoe better??

Also, we won 14 games in a row down the stretch without him. But some fans wanted Cal to insert a guy in the middle of the season, and possibly upset team chemistry. And if it didn't work out, Cal and Diallo both would have been trashed. Lose/lose scenario.

If you don't think he would of helped even just a little then I'm sorry. Diallo can do what he wants because it is his life, I'm not pissed at the fact that he might go. But you can't say him not playing had zero impact. He would of had some sort of impact

True.

And in a game decided by 2 points, some impact matters. Maybe he forces Jackson into a bad shot out of rhythm due to Diallo's length. Maybe he forces a half court steal with his athleticism (I'm also aware that there's a chance Diallo have hurt UK's chemistry by joining midseason, although I think it's remote).

The refs played a massive part in the first half, which is precisely why having some other form of advantage mattered for Kentucky. I'm not sure why some are playing obtuse on this issue. It's not hard to figure out.

Based on what? He's super athletic, but so are Monk, Fox, Bam, Hawkins, SKJ, Gabriel and so forth. His shot is a liability at this point and we already lacked shooters. That's not really a help. He lacked experience, which was a problem until late in the season as well. Everyone is basing that he could have helped off his length and projected ability. It took most of our guys a full season to develop defense, yet some of you think he was going to come in and be the lockdown guy we needed. I'm not saying that he couldn't, but there is literally no evidence that he could have either. Who would he have played over btw? Fox ran the show and Hawkins or Briscoe spelled him. Diallo isn't known for great handles at this point so I can't see him playing the point. Monk manned the two and was our best shooter. Diallo is known as a bad shooter. Hawkins became a very reliable shooter the last month or two and provided leadership
and experience and great defense. Not sure you can really afford to play Diallo over him. The 3 spot is the one area he could have gotten some run, but no guarantee he was any better than what we had. Briscoe, while shorter, was tough as shit. Really good ball handler and could attack the rim at will against a lot of teams. He was a pretty solid defender and was really the only other player we had with experience. I'm not saying Diallo wouldn't have been able to come in and play for some
short stretches, but to act like he was likely the difference make is a little much. Especially when you factor in 3/4 of our fan base was blaming a rogue ref for causing it.
You just lost all credibility with listing skj and Gabriel. I don't see them working out for NBA teams.

Jumping real high and being fast means you're ready to play and contribute? Where do I sign up? How about shooting, ball handling, defense, playing within the offense? The 17 squad had Monk, Fox, Hawkins, Bam, Briscoe, SKJ, Gabriel and Mulder who could all jump really high and run really fast too.
You do get that jumping that high in a game, while handling a ball and going through traffic is a little different than a single standing jump without either, right?
You do also understand the NBA drafts on potential and not what you are now? Some of you seem to think these guys are expected to be major contributors from day 1 just because they were drafted, when in fact they are mostly being drafted on what they may be in a few years.

You just lost all credibility with listing skj and Gabriel. I don't see them working out for NBA teams.
So, because they aren't working out with NBA teams means they aren't athletic? I guess all the other players and people in the country not working out for NBA teams aren't athletic either?

Reactions: crawfords corner
UK doesn't win national titles that often. 4 in 60 years. Let's not act like calipari has brought uk down with his recruiting strategy.
5 titles in 60 years, right?
That doesn't change you point, with which I totally agree.

So, you work for a college you openly admit doesn't give a shit about the students and is just trying to profit from them and insinuate that taking advantage of them for money is the sole reason they exist. Yet, you are upset at a kid whom you are accusing of doing the exact thing to a university?

Then you say you wouldn't care on iota about people who don't play here. Well, by your account Diallo is not going to play here. So why do you seem to be upset by that?

You're a delusional person who seems upset at the reality of situations.

I didn't insinuate "taking advantage" of them for money. I said it's a business; not some charity of "Come here so we can make dreams come true." It takes a lot of money to run it and they're not going to give services away for free. We are selling what that degree can accomplish but to exist, you need students.

You also seem to not understand the obvious comparisons of quid pro quo. You get something in exchange for something. A student and a college have an exchange. Diallo gave nothing at all. He used us when he had the ability to contribute.

Again, we are fans of Kentucky basketball. We are not fans of, "Oh, I hope Diallo can buy a lot of stuff."

True.

And in a game decided by 2 points, some impact matters. Maybe he forces Jackson into a bad shot out of rhythm due to Diallo's length. Maybe he forces a half court steal with his athleticism (I'm also aware that there's a chance Diallo have hurt UK's chemistry by joining midseason, although I think it's remote).

The refs played a massive part in the first half, which is precisely why having some other form of advantage mattered for Kentucky. I'm not sure why some are playing obtuse on this issue. It's not hard to figure out.
Or maybe he makes a bad play in the game before and we never make the elite 8, or maybe he forces a shot another player could have made, or maybe he misses a defensive assignment and let's someone else score. The maybes are endless and work both ways.

Also, we won 14 games in a row down the stretch without him. But some fans wanted Cal to insert a guy in the middle of the season, and possibly upset team chemistry. And if it didn't work out, Cal and Diallo both would have been trashed. Lose/lose scenario.

Right, hard enough to get freshman in a good spot by end of season. Also, we were set on guard/wing players...who's he going to take minutes away from?? Fox/Monk/Briscoe/Hawkins/Willis? Nope.

Insert kid right in middle of conference play, would have hurt the team and the player.

Reactions: GonzoCat90
So we lost because Diallo didn't play his very first minutes of his college career in an Elite 8 game. This is reality not an afterschool special, it isn't Ky's Hoosier moment. C'mon be realistic and quit showing your ignorance. We lost to UNC because monk waited til last 90 seconds to take a real shot..
Imagine if Diallo played and we still lost? The naysayers on here would go apoplectic on Cal for playing a pure rookie in that situation...Diallo is not the reason UK lost. So just stop

You're a delusional person who seems upset at the reality of situations.

I didn't insinuate "taking advantage" of them for money. I said it's a business; not some charity of "Come here so we can make dreams come true." It takes a lot of money to run it and they're not going to give services away for free. We are selling what that degree can accomplish but to exist, you need students.

You also seem to not understand the obvious comparisons of quid pro quo. You get something in exchange for something. A student and a college have an exchange. Diallo gave nothing at all. He used us when he had the ability to contribute.

Again, we are fans of Kentucky basketball. We are not fans of, "Oh, I hope Diallo can buy a lot of stuff."
You literally said of colleges "to benefit themselves by selling a dream." I'm the one upset by the reality of the situation? Yet you're the one with your panties in a bunch over a teenager deciding to go make millions of dollars instead of being "sold a dream" as you put it. I'm not really upset by it at all. I think he came here to learn, grow and develop. He sat out for the semester planning to play a full season next year. As always planned and stated he is testing the waters. I don't think he or most expected to be strongly considered after not playing this season, but now that he is he has to strongly consider it. Anybody who says they wouldn't consider that kind of money is purely lying or totally naive.

Reactions: crawfords corner
Or maybe he makes a bad play in the game before and we never make the elite 8, or maybe he forces a shot another player could have made, or maybe he misses a defensive assignment and let's someone else score. The maybes are endless and work both ways.

Adding an elite player rarely backfires for a program, especially a player who is under the tutelage of a guy like Calipari – a coach who selects players who are willing to defer and thrive within a disciplined system.

Can you think of a handful of times when an elite player cost Kentucky and Calipari a tournament game because of any of the type of scenarios you presented? You’ve created a dualistic argument regarding a fictional universe where a guy like Diallo is automatically assumed to be incompetent and incapable of playing within the structure of a disciplined system. It doesn’t work both ways because there isn’t an even split of scenarios where elite kids backfired on Kentucky.

Right, hard enough to get freshman in a good spot by end of season. Also, we were set on guard/wing players...who's he going to take minutes away from?? Fox/Monk/Briscoe/Hawkins/Willis? Nope.

Insert kid right in middle of conference play, would have hurt the team and the player.
Shhhh! Don't be bringing logic and facts up in here. They don't like that.

How anyone cannot be left with a slight bad taste in their mouth is beyond me. Look, we all get it; this was the assumed and accepted risk (him leaving). I've tried several times to justify this and not get worked up over it but it's bothersome.

Not sure I'll ever be able to properly and accurately articulate why this seems wrong to me, but it does. The notion that a kid was invited to UK to essentially use our players and facilities to improve himself without ever suiting up in a game for us is a bad look. No matter how you slice it.

We all seem to be trying to justify it and "trust in Cal" as he drags us into this new and interesting era of college basketball. We tell ourselves, "this is just the way things are these days". But the reality is this wasn't right. This isn't right. We can't constantly use this holier than thou "whatever is best for the kid" reasoning as a crutch for anytime UK is essentially used or abused.

I wonder why even be called "Kentucky"? Why not just change our team name to NBA Prep team.

Nope, I don't like this at all and I don't mind to voice that stance on here.

Some great points in this post. Don't agree with the NBA prep comment because it's only 1 player but you make some valid points.

Reactions: skycorbuk
Adding an elite player rarely backfires for a program, especially a player who is under the tutelage of a guy like Calipari – a coach who selects players who are willing to defer and thrive within a disciplined system.

Can you think of a handful of times when an elite player cost Kentucky and Calipari a tournament game because of any of the type of scenarios you presented? You’ve created a dualistic argument regarding a fictional universe where a guy like Diallo is automatically assumed to be incompetent and incapable of playing within the structure of a disciplined system. It doesn’t work both ways because there isn’t an even split of scenarios where elite kids backfired on Kentucky.
Can you think of a handful of scenarios, or just 1, where Cal has brought in a player mid-season that was a high level recruit like Diallo at UK? Especially one that was actually expected to contribute?

How do you conclude from Diallo not playing at the combine, that Cal was behind that decision, or played a role in it? Cal has advised players to come back and they've gone anyway. They don't always listen to him.

I can only go by what something appears to be until told otherwise by those in the know.

If Cal every comes out and says "i wanted Diallo to go 5 on 5" then so be it. As of right now it appears if nobody lobbied for him to do anything other than what he has done.

I'm not saying that it is a bad thing, or that Cal or whomever advised it should be faulted. It's actually a brilliant strategy, which leads me to believe that somebody well versed in drafts had something to do with it.

Why taint everything Diallo has going for him with a bad 5 on 5 showing? He has more than enough to be enticing for franchises.

As I said in another post, he kind of reminds me of a little known overseas project. Nobody knows much about him other than his potential and he is really young. Every year there is a couple head scratching picks in the first round, most of the time they are very raw and young overseas kids nobody knows a lot about. Diallo could be the surprise pick of the draft this year.

Had he gone out and had a poor shooting performance in 5 on 5, showed some defensive weakness, or turned the ball over a bunch he could have not only played himself out of the draft this year but hurt himself next year as well.

So we lost because Diallo didn't play his very first minutes of his college career in an Elite 8 game. This is reality not an afterschool special, it isn't Ky's Hoosier moment. C'mon be realistic and quit showing your ignorance. We lost to UNC because monk waited til last 90 seconds to take a real shot..
Imagine if Diallo played and we still lost? The naysayers on here would go apoplectic on Cal for playing a pure rookie in that situation...Diallo is not the reason UK lost. So just stop

Since you didn’t quote anyone, I’m not sure who you’re writing to, but I’ll respond.

My personal contention is that if Diallo intended to leave regardless at the end of the season, he could have helped UK in a minimal way – particularly as a defender. If he truly “wasn’t ready” mentally or physically, I get that – but isn’t that argument is blown away the moment he remains in the current draft? How do you go from not being ready to play against the SEC to suddenly ready to play against the NBA in matter of two or three months? This is a valid question, and one that I think is at the root of much of the criticism.

Diallo was probably never going to be a 20 minute/game guy on last year’s team, but 8 to 15 minutes of defensive assignments is hardly out of the question.

I guess it all comes down to whether or not folks are willing to buy the scenario that Diallo didn’t think he was really ready to play. I’m not sure how that argument is congruent with a kid who stays in the draft, however.

Reactions: Pluto is a Planet
My problem with the situation is Diallo should have declared and signed with a Agent right away. Then maybe we could have locked up another guard or transfer in his place. By waiting to the end he has basically screwed us from getting any type of replacement or a multi year player like Hawkins. If you are going to go Pro roll the dice but do not be selfish and hurt the program.

^ A perfect example of a brainwashed fan who eats up the fairytales and talking points fed to him.

Yeah, I'm sure it was Diallo coming to practice in January that put our backcourt over the top. It's not like Fox and Monk weren't awesome before that. I'm also sure that you think Ryan Harrow contributed a lot to that 2012 national title team.

"Get an education." Hahaha. This guy came here for a few months and we don't even know how he finished the semester. You're gonna feed this crap to us about Diallo caring about an education when he spent a couple of months in college and bounced?

Oh, and grow up. So tired of people like you confusing criticism and accountability for "hate." Everyone needs to wear kid gloves so you never get criticized for decisions and actions, right?

Call it ridiculous all you want, but it's true. Why would it be ridiculous it play for a bunch of whiney but fans that constantly question if their players even care, criticize relentlessly during slumps, & constantly bash every decision? BBN's negativity is even being used on the recruiting trail...that ought to tell you something.
By that twisted logic Cal must be a magician. He keeps getting top ranked classes.

I'll never understand why a portion of the fan base acts like having NBA players in the league and being a players first program and having success on the court is mutually exclusive. The "I only care about UK fans" should be getting what they want because this is our most prominent period since the 50's. The bitterness over players electing to get paid for their services is a bad look, especially when we win so many games anyway. At least 345 other D1 fan bases would love to trade with us.

So, because they aren't working out with NBA teams means they aren't athletic? I guess all the other players and people in the country not working out for NBA teams aren't athletic either?
Man I'm just giving you a hard time. I just think diallo would of impacted us last year, positively or negatively. Most likely positive

Can you think of a handful of scenarios, or just 1, where Cal has brought in a player mid-season that was a high level recruit like Diallo at UK? Especially one that was actually expected to contribute?

I’ll engage in your question, and then I’d ask you to at least try to answer the question I initially posed you as opposed to averting it.

There’s no doubt adding Diallo midseason would have been unprecedented for Kentucky (the entire situation is), but assuming that it would have created a negative is strange. While at UK, Cal has never added a player midseason. I’d have to check his Memphis/UMass days. Then again, how often does a top 10 kid have a chance like Diallo did to joining up at a school like Kentucky half-a-year early? Small sample size, although the sample size for Cal’s work with elite prospects is much larger – which goes back to the original question you evaded: can you think of a handful of times when an elite prospect played incompetently enough to cost UK a tournament game? I can think of perhaps two cases of that being the case, but even those would be a stretch.

Again, what is the debate centered around? It is centered around a mentality. Did Diallo intend to ever play at Kentucky? That question is the center of the entire argument. If he did intend to play, then there’s nothing to discuss. Perhaps his game evolved enough for him to make the leap due to practice development. One can’t fault this entire episode if that’s the case. But if Diallo was ready and able to contribute, and could have helped UK but chose not to (while at the same time knowing he would never play here), there is should be a discussion regarding his initial mentality. I’m not sure why such a question should be rebuked as illegitimate.

And you base this on what? The mental gymnastics you use to blindly defend this is impressive.

You're like a member of a cult who refuses to accept reality and needs to blindly defend everything.

Reactions: kycatw\claws
I'll never understand why a portion of the fan base acts like having NBA players in the league and being a players first program and having success on the court is mutually exclusive. The "I only care about UK fans" should be getting what they want because this is our most prominent period since the 50's. The bitterness over players electing to get paid for their services is a bad look, especially when we win so many games anyway. At least 345 other D1 fan bases would love to trade with us.

Outside perception is the exact opposite of this, though. UK fans are largely known to support our NBA guys. Our program is already decried as an NBA Farm Team by the rest of college basketball, and most of our fans are fine with that – and the rest of the country knows it.

The internal criticisms against OAD are minimal. Our fans have largely grown to accept and endorse it. The Diallo situation is entirely different and unprecedented. It also requires a mental adjustment, just like the early years of OAD under Cal did for our fans. If UK fans need to vent and discuss this issue in order to better process a scenario like Diallo’s potential jump to the NBA, I see nothing wrong with it. At the very least, it’s entirely bizarre and is unlike anything we’ve seen before.

Reactions: Pluto is a Planet
Since you didn’t quote anyone, I’m not sure who you’re writing to, but I’ll respond.

My personal contention is that if Diallo intended to leave regardless at the end of the season, he could have helped UK in a minimal way – particularly as a defender. If he truly “wasn’t ready” mentally or physically, I get that – but isn’t that argument is blown away the moment he remains in the current draft? How do you go from not being ready to play against the SEC to suddenly ready to play against the NBA in matter of two or three months? This is a valid question, and one that I think is at the root of much of the criticism.

Diallo was probably never going to be a 20 minute/game guy on last year’s team, but 8 to 15 minutes of defensive assignments is hardly out of the question.

I guess it all comes down to whether or not folks are willing to buy the scenario that Diallo didn’t think he was really ready to play. I’m not sure how that argument is congruent with a kid who stays in the draft, however.
Where do you get that being drafted means you are ready to contribute right away, or player right away in the league. They draft on potential and what you can become. Even though they can't contribute now, the hope is that they develop into a really good player and you can keep them long term or trade them for another piece. Either way they give you value and you're preventing another team from getting him and the value that could come with him. You all seem to have this idea that being drafted means you're ready to play and contribute day one. That is simply not reality.

True. Until next season. And then 4. It's just modern era it's been tough for uk.
1- UCLA's crazy run messed up the 60's
2- 80's were messy by our own fault (scandal + probation)
3- 2000's....Tubby just didn't have it

Cal is now King and has raised our profile higher than ever (including Coach Rupp's glory days). It's not 'whether' we will hang another banner but 'when'...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT