ADVERTISEMENT

Seofblue writer says Diallo is gone

Jakarii

Senior
Jan 29, 2016
Utah
Jason Marcum

Everything I’ve heard is Diallo plans to sign with an agent soon and remain in the draft. No one can blame him either teams in the 15-20 range showing real interest in him, and I think there’s no way he falls past Brooklyn’s 27th overall pick.

That’s a guaranteed contract with anywhere between $3-10 million dollars coming his way, depending on if his third and fourth-year club options are picked up. I’m not telling anyone to pass on that kind of money, especially if it helps set up him and his family for life.

He gone.

Jason Marcum

Everything I’ve heard is Diallo plans to sign with an agent soon and remain in the draft. No one can blame him either teams in the 15-20 range showing real interest in him, and I think there’s no way he falls past Brooklyn’s 27th overall pick.

That’s a guaranteed contract with anywhere between $3-10 million dollars coming his way, depending on if his third and fourth-year club options are picked up. I’m not telling anyone to pass on that kind of money, especially if it helps set up him and his family for life.

He gone.
It's easy for people to say they would come back to school, but let someone dangle that amount of money in front of them and see how quickly they change their mind.

What evidence do you have that I'm wrong? ...and it's not 'negative', it's called making a realistic assumption.

You don't use evidence to prove that something isn't.

It's an assumption, but nothing but your own personal feelings make it "realistic." Which begs the question of why you'd immediately skew that way on a kid you know nothing about.

I don't just mean you, specifically, by the way. Yours was just the most recent of a ton of folks who have said this, and not one of them can actually back it up. Which seems odd for something so "obvious" to you guys.

How anyone cannot be left with a slight bad taste in their mouth is beyond me. Look, we all get it; this was the assumed and accepted risk (him leaving). I've tried several times to justify this and not get worked up over it but it's bothersome.

Not sure I'll ever be able to properly and accurately articulate why this seems wrong to me, but it does. The notion that a kid was invited to UK to essentially use our players and facilities to improve himself without ever suiting up in a game for us is a bad look. No matter how you slice it.

We all seem to be trying to justify it and "trust in Cal" as he drags us into this new and interesting era of college basketball. We tell ourselves, "this is just the way things are these days". But the reality is this wasn't right. This isn't right. We can't constantly use this holier than thou "whatever is best for the kid" reasoning as a crutch for anytime UK is essentially used or abused.

I wonder why even be called "Kentucky"? Why not just change our team name to NBA Prep team.

Nope, I don't like this at all and I don't mind to voice that stance on here.

It's an assumption, but nothing but your own personal feelings make it "realistic." Which begs the question of why you'd immediately skew that way on a kid you know nothing about.

I don't just mean you, specifically, by the way. Yours was just the most recent of a ton of folks who have said this, and not one of them can actually back it up. Which seems odd for something so "obvious" to you guys.

Well, I'm sorry for posting an opinion on a message board. I'll try to be better about not doing that again, or at least clear it with you first. Oh, and by the way, your post is only your opinion. Ya know, casting stones and such. We usually total along just fine here. Not sure why you got trigger over this. Half the board thinks the exact same thing aboit Diallo.

Jason Marcum

He gone.

I no longer find it bizarre that you – a non-UK fan – seem eager to be breaking this scoop deep in the wee hours of Saturday morning. Thanks for looking out for us, Jakarii.

I also no longer find it bizarre that not one of these insiders ever reveal their source. Now I’m not saying they should name names, but they don’t even hint at what type of source they have – UK coaches; UK players; NBA scouts; NBA executives.

Makes me think people just make educated guesses and hope it sticks. It’s not unreasonable to assume Diallo leaves, even without this recent “scoop.”

How anyone cannot be left with a slight bad taste in their mouth is beyond me. Look, we all get it; this was the assumed and accepted risk (him leaving). I've tried several times to justify this and not get worked up over it but it's bothersome.

Not sure I'll ever be able to properly and accurately articulate why this seems wrong to me, but it does. The notion that a kid was invited to UK to essentially use our players and facilities to improve himself without ever suiting up in a game for us is a bad look. No matter how you slice it.

We all seem to be trying to justify it and "trust in Cal" as he drags us into this new and interesting era of college basketball. We tell ourselves, "this is just the way things are these days". But the reality is this wasn't right. This isn't right. We can't constantly use this holier than thou "whatever is best for the kid" reasoning as a crutch for anytime UK is essentially used or abused.

I wonder why even be called "Kentucky"? Why not just change our team name to NBA Prep team.

Get ready for backlash but you're 100% correct. If there was an inkling of him testing the waters, cal should have played him.

Personally my only intetest is UK. Im not interested in having 40 NBA players and UK not winning title after title.
I love Cal, but Im 100% all about UK
This kid leaves with out ever even suiting up and that leaves a bad taste.
Does Cal warmly embrace him on draft night in NYC.
Do we claim him as another UK player in the NBA?

Get ready for backlash but you're 100% correct. If there was an inkling of him testing the waters, cal should have played him.
Problem is, Cal wouldn't play him. That's worse than the alleged mind games being played by Diallo. Cal, in my opinion, is hell bent on setting some kind of record of number of draft picks in a season (or a period of years). Yes, we'll all be disappointed when the day comes that he moves on, will we really be okay trading draft picks for kids who can both play and WANT to be here ?

What the poster from the other similar thread failed to mention was that the question about Diallo was posed to the entire staff writers of the Sea Of Blue. They were opinions only. Of course, the poster only gave one side of the answer to get everybody worked up. Not surprising.
http://www.aseaofblue.com/2017/5/18/15655162/hamidou-diallo-nba-draft-update-roundtable-predictions

Timothy Coleman Sr.

I have a feeling Diallo is coming back because 1) I don’t think he’ll receive an ironclad promise from any team he’ll be picked in the first round, 2) He has been very smart with all of his moves so far and I do not think he’ll all of a sudden become dumb with the most important decision up to date, 3) He can take out an insurance policy in case of injury,(i.e. Nerlens Noel) if he comes back and can be a Lottery pick in 2018 NBA Draft, and 4) I know he said he would go down to the NBA D-League if he gets drafted, I don’t think he meant being drafted in the second round, I

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: wildcatwelder
Why doesn't his decision not to play any minutes at UK last season count as "evidence" or an indication that he intended to turn pro from the beginning? The stated reason for him not playing was that he wasn't ready or some such thing. But he's suddenly ready to try out for NBA teams? Come on. I don't think he's coming back, and I don't think he ever intended to. And I think there's logical support for that opinion. Of course, I could be wrong, something that those on the other side of the issue don't seem willing to concede. (And this isn't an attack on Diallo. In his shoes, I might have done the same thing. Who knows?)

Jason Marcum

He gone.
He came here looking to leave.

I wonder if Bamba choosing Texas is any indicator of Diallo's plans?

Though Bamba & Green are "tight," I get the impression that Diallo
& Bamba are even closer friends.

Everyone should have expected him gone from the beginning just like every recruit we bring in and be pleasantly surprised when they return.

You would think after seven or eight years of this stuff you guys would learn. They are always gone. Every one of them. That's why them come here.

Not sure how UK was used or abused. It's beyond me why this bothers people to this extent.

Reactions: USSLair and 1war

Well, in all fairness, one doesn't need evidence to prove an opinion...

How anyone cannot be left with a slight bad taste in their mouth is beyond me.
Because it had zero impact on anything. We had an extra scholarship, he took it, sat on the bench for 2.5 months. The only way this matters at all is if by taking him we miss out on another kid. We got Knox. It's a nonevent.

Still waiting for someone to explain why this should make me mad.

Because it had zero impact on anything. We had an extra scholarship, he took it, sat on the bench for 2.5 months. The only way this matters at all is if by taking him we miss out on another kid. We got Knox. It's a nonevent.

Your first line, "it had zero impact on anything" is exactly why it should make you mad. You may have to sit and think about that for a while, though I imagine it will never dawn on you.

If he does stay, would he then be considered a 1/2 and done? lol.....Seriously, I hope he returns but if he doesn't then good luck to him...

I've listed myriad red flags for months. His intent has been obvious to those willing to see. It isn't his fault though, Cal allowed it.

What evidence do you have that I'm wrong? ...and it's not 'negative', it's called making a realistic assumption.

BTW, the initial reaction of BBN to Diallo entering draft played a role in Bamba not coming & I'm sure plays a very small but a very real factor in Diallo's decision whatever that might be.

If you're content with the situation no one can make you get mad about it. I don't like it but I'm not mad about it.

Jason Marcum

He gone.
Diallo may be gone. That's his decision, and I have said from the beginning that it is his business alone (not ours). But you are leaving out a couple of important things. For 1 thing, Diallo is the biggest mystery in the draft because NBA GMs haven't seen him play above the high school level. That means, no matter where Diallo thinks he will be drafted, it's an added risk to assume he will be picked in the 1st round. For another thing, if he comes back to Kentucky, he would probably get picked higher in the next draft. Lottery means more money. That isn't a sure thing either, but it is likely. People will say he could get hurt. But if he gets hurt, he has the option of playing another year to get himself up into the lottery. Finally, $3 million would not necessarily "set him and his family up for life", unless they are very disciplined, frugal, well advised. How many mouths are we talking about feeding indefinitely? In this low interest rate environment, it takes a lot of principal to generate living income for the next 50 years. Actually, this gets back to why he might want to wait another year. Lottery money would be significantly better for setting him and his family up for life than low 1st round money. I don't personally care what the kid decides, but there is a good case for waiting another year.

Further more, "UK" should not be in the business of simply serving as a "training facility/academy" for kids wanting to go pro. If so, why even play games or have Kentucky across the chest? Why not just call yourselves an NBA prep academy and be a developmental league team? UK basketball is in the business of representing the University and the state and having its players represent those things by suiting up for the Big Blue.

Oh, who could have foreseen such a thing? I told you all that this was gonna happen and there was no chance he was coming back because he never had any intentions of playing college basketball.

How anyone could be a fan of this guy after the BS he pulled is beyond me. He's a liar and made this decision in February.

Jason Marcum

He gone.

Can you link this because I'm not finding it on either of Jason's twitter accounts & He usually links everything on twitter.

What evidence do you have that he ever intended to play?

ADVERTISEMENT