ADVERTISEMENT

Seofblue writer says Diallo is gone

I've listed myriad red flags for months. His intent has been obvious to those willing to see. It isn't his fault though, Cal allowed it.

Good luck getting the sunshine pumpers and fanatics to use any type of logic or reasoning if it comes to accepting a hard truth. Everyone should have known that a guy choosing not to play and listening to his quotes only for him to declare for the draft, never had intentions of playing for us.

Very nice of him to come use the resources and enjoy not being exposed while our two best backcourt players sat out for over half of the first half in the Elite Eight game.

Last edited:
BTW, the initial reaction of BBN to Diallo entering draft played a role in Bamba not coming & I'm sure plays a very small but a very real factor in Diallo's decision whatever that might be.

Got a link of Bamba saying that? If not then you are full of crap.

Reactions: musrat59
What evidence do you have that he ever intended to play?

Gonzo was one of the guys who bashed anyone who tried to tell people that this was the reality and now he's doubling down to try and save face and not eat crow that he was wrong.

Being a fan seems to get people to turn off their brains and try to defend things based off of emotion and ignore the evidence that would suggest you are wrong.

Diallo is a liar and it's easy to see.

- In Diallo's own words, he said Cal was under the impression he was going to play when he came. He also said that he chose not to play.
- He suggested that he wanted to focus on school and for next season with the incoming class.
- Then declares for the NBA Draft two months after saying the above quotes.

Then remember he chose to not participate in five on five scrimmages to yet again hide himself, which is why he chose not to play here. I'm supposed to believe this guy didn't have this planned all along?

Further more, "UK" should not be in the business of simply serving as a "training facility/academy" for kids wanting to go pro. If so, why even play games or have Kentucky across the chest? Why not just call yourselves an NBA prep academy and be a developmental league team? UK basketball is in the business of representing the University and the state and having its players represent those things by suiting up for the Big Blue.
As someone who grew up in Lexington, attended UK, and still lives here, I am about as pro-UK and pro-Lexington as it gets. I'm happy to let Calipari manage Kentucky's basketball program. I think our coach knows what he is doing. Thank goodness people on this board aren't managing it.

Because it had zero impact on anything. We had an extra scholarship, he took it, sat on the bench for 2.5 months. The only way this matters at all is if by taking him we miss out on another kid. We got Knox. It's a nonevent.

Still waiting for someone to explain why this should make me mad.
Because he should of played. I hope he does well but when people say oh he had zero impact on anything is ridiculous. Well what if he played in the tournament? Definitely would of had some sort of impact.

Because he should of played. I hope he does well but when people say oh he had zero impact on anything is ridiculous. Well what if he played in the tournament? Definitely would of had some sort of impact.
What if it was a negative impact that caused us to lose earlier? Would you guys still be happy that he played then?

What if it was a negative impact that caused us to lose earlier? Would you guys still be happy that he played then?
I actually don't care what he does. It doesn't bother me. But to say he what no impact is ludicrous, good or bad. But he would of been a lot better than Briscoe.

Reactions: westerncat
How anyone cannot be left with a slight bad taste in their mouth is beyond me. Look, we all get it; this was the assumed and accepted risk (him leaving). I've tried several times to justify this and not get worked up over it but it's bothersome.

Not sure I'll ever be able to properly and accurately articulate why this seems wrong to me, but it does. The notion that a kid was invited to UK to essentially use our players and facilities to improve himself without ever suiting up in a game for us is a bad look. No matter how you slice it.

We all seem to be trying to justify it and "trust in Cal" as he drags us into this new and interesting era of college basketball. We tell ourselves, "this is just the way things are these days". But the reality is this wasn't right. This isn't right. We can't constantly use this holier than thou "whatever is best for the kid" reasoning as a crutch for anytime UK is essentially used or abused.

I wonder why even be called "Kentucky"? Why not just change our team name to NBA Prep team.

Nope, I don't like this at all and I don't mind to voice that stance on here.

I don't mind the way you put that, but I do think some of the worry is a bit misplaced. This is hardly going to become a trend. Yes, it probably isn't going to work out for us in this case, but people worrying about this being repeated is a little astounding to me. But I do think if there is ever a similar situation in the future, we should try to handle it a little differently. Not sure how.

I actually don't care what he does. It doesn't bother me. But to say he what no impact is ludicrous, good or bad. But he would of been a lot better than Briscoe.
Lol, if most people on here are saying he didn't play at UK or the 5 on 5 scrimmages in the NBA combine because he wants to hide his deficiencies, yet a lot of you guys are convinced he would have contributed to a team that already possed a bunch of athletes and bad shooters. Even funnier, the same people bashing him are the ones blaming the E8 loss in the ref. So again, if the ref cost us the game by officiating against us, how was Diallo going to change that?

So can any of you nutjobs that spew the conspiracy theory that he used us and never intended to be here actually tell us why he hasn't hired an agent this close to decision time if he was so sure to leave anyway?

Oh, we are the nut jobs and it's a "conspiracy?" Hahaha.

You're clueless.

Reactions: GridCats
Oh, who could have foreseen such a thing? I told you all that this was gonna happen and there was no chance he was coming back because he never had any intentions of playing college basketball.

How anyone could be a fan of this guy after the BS he pulled is beyond me. He's a liar and made this decision in February.

How many times do people have to point out to you that you are talking out of your ass about something you know nothing about? If he comes back, your entire littany of rants will be proven to be utter nonsense. You make definitive statements about this that haven't happened yet, and which may not. But you somehow know the future and the intimate thoughts and motivations of a guy you know nothing about.

I don't mind the way you put that, but I do think some of the worry is a bit misplaced. This is hardly going to become a trend. Yes, it probably isn't going to work out for us in this case, but people worrying about this being repeated is a little astounding to me. But I do think if there is ever a similar situation in the future, we should try to handle it a little differently. Not sure how.

It would be an alarming trend for sure. If you were to have two columns for Cal representing his time here, this would fall under the "questionable" side.

Every move Cal makes should be with UK Basketball in mind. That's his job. If Diallo never suiting up and leaving for the NBA somehow makes a recruit down the road trust UK more and therefore sign with us, then it's worth it.

Don't know what Diallo's lasting impact is on UK if he leaves. That's what I don't like about this. Opposing fans have said "UK is nothing but an NBA factory; a d-league team" ever since Cal arrived and produced his first one and done. I've never listened to it until Diallo.

Lol, if most people on here are saying he didn't play at UK or the 5 on 5 scrimmages in the NBA combine because he wants to hide his deficiencies, yet a lot of you guys are convinced he would have contributed to a team that already possed a bunch of athletes and bad shooters. Even funnier, the same people bashing him are the ones blaming the E8 loss in the ref. So again, if the ref cost us the game by officiating against us, how was Diallo going to change that?

Points.

If you don't think he would of helped even just a little then I'm sorry. Diallo can do what he wants because it is his life, I'm not pissed at the fact that he might go. But you can't say him not playing had zero impact. He would of had some sort of impact

How about he doesn't need one yet? Pretty obvious he has someone speaking for him whether it be runners or a coach.
Hahahahaha, LMAO!! Are you being serious or just sarcastic? You might consider researching what a
Professional agent can do for you that a coach can't and then try to explain to us why he wouldn't want or need an agent at this time. Also, seems a bit odd the kid would want to be dead set on skipping college and getting his pay day, yet doesn't sign with an agent and get paid immediately. You know, it almost sounds like a kid that isn't being controlled simply by money and is trying to make the best decision for him, his future and family. However, that can't be it, because as so many on here have stated " he gone"!

Last edited:
Wait a minute, are posters on here thinking Cal wasn't in on this? Really?

You don't think he learned something from Skal? When Skal came out of high school and the AAU circuit he was projected as a top 5 pick. It was only after he "played" that he fell in the draft. Had Skal never played he would have been drafted in the top 5 on measurements and potential alone.

Don't think Cal learned something from this? Don't think he used this to advise Diallo. Diallo's measurements and potential is off the charts. Cal told him, look if you play at UK your stock can drop. Don't risk it kid, you can be a first rounder without ever playing a minute here at UK.

Some of you act like you personally ran your ass off working him out for the last four months. It's ridiculous.

If we had missed on Knox - who is the one player Diallo might have cost us - I'd be a little peeved, but we didn't, so I'm perfectly okay with whatever he decides to do.

Some of you act like you personally ran your ass off working him out for the last four months. It's ridiculous.

If we had missed on Knox - who is the one player Diallo might have cost us - I'd be a little peeved, but we didn't, so I'm perfectly okay with whatever he decides to do.

I like how you basically bash others for "acting like they personally worked with him" and then later in the post, use "we" to refer to Kentucky. Not very consistent there.

And you're talking about next season. How about this season? He apparently can contribute in the NBA but couldn't contribute here? You don't think we could have used him when Monk and Fox were on the bench vs UNC? This season was the one that it is fair to judge him on how he hurt us.

So "UK basketballs" sole existence is to help its players go to the NBA?

No, but there seems to be a question as to whether collegiate sports should be viewed separately from college as a whole with regards to it's purpose and its role in students' path to a future profession. One side says the goal of a college education is to prepare one for his/her chosen profession. Bill Gates left Harvard early because he saw a business opportunity and felt he didn't need anymore education to tackle said opportunity. He was right.

Some college athletes use their experience at college to get them ready, or facillitate their entry into professional sports. Some of them come not having any intention of graduating. Whether that's good or bad is subjective, but it's a fact and isn't going to change. The timing of each student athlete's departure is dependent on many factors and is different for each player. As to the role of the coach, that's a different issue. Are they the same as a professor, who tries to educate the student in his/her chosen field of study? Or are they simply there to advocate on behalf of the university? Seems to me that some people think that's the case. That they should always do what's best for the University, rather than the student athlete. Again, that's another subjective issue, and who is to say they are right or wrong? But others feel the coach is hired to win games, and however that happens (as long as it's ethical and won't get the school in trouble) is his business. I'm in the latter camp.

Reactions: Cychologist
Wait a minute, are posters on here thinking Cal wasn't in on this? Really?

You don't think he learned something from Skal? When Skal came out of high school and the AAU circuit he was projected as a top 5 pick. It was only after he "played" that he fell in the draft. Had Skal never played he would have been drafted in the top 5 on measurements and potential alone.

Don't think Cal learned something from this? Don't think he used this to advise Diallo. Diallo's measurements and potential is off the charts. Cal told him, look if you play at UK your stock can drop. Don't risk it kid, you can be a first rounder without ever playing a minute here at UK.

Ok, now you are stretching and frankly sounding ridiculous. You actually think Cal is basically pushing Diallo to leave? Good Lord.

He's been gone since the moment he got on campus.

I agree. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so. I've never the entire situation added up. All the rhetoric of his time at UK never quite added up..."he isn't ready, he doesn't know the system". I thought it was all crap.

Even one million dollars is a tremendous amount of money-I don't quite know how to wrap my mind around the multi million dollar figures these kids are offered (I often think to myself-a man could drive a damn nice truck). It's easy to ask "who can blame the kid?" and that's a valid question.

My interest is in whether this situation is the continuing evolution of the brave new world of the five star player, or an isolated incident limited to the young man and his situation. With the advent of so many online classes and programs designed to accelerate the graduation process, it's not unbelievable that with these upscale basketball players, kids will choose to graduate several months early or even a year early. Will they filter to the colleges just to take advantage of improved facilities, coach, and daily competition? Will coaches encourage this, just to get the traffic of elite kids through their programs? I'm very curious to see where we go with all this.

If you don't think he would of helped even just a little then I'm sorry. Diallo can do what he wants because it is his life, I'm not pissed at the fact that he might go. But you can't say him not playing had zero impact. He would of had some sort of impact
Based on what? He's super athletic, but so are Monk, Fox, Bam, Hawkins, SKJ, Gabriel and so forth. His shot is a liability at this point and we already lacked shooters. That's not really a help. He lacked experience, which was a problem until late in the season as well. Everyone is basing that he could have helped off his length and projected ability. It took most of our guys a full season to develop defense, yet some of you think he was going to come in and be the lockdown guy we needed. I'm not saying that he couldn't, but there is literally no evidence that he could have either. Who would he have played over btw? Fox ran the show and Hawkins or Briscoe spelled him. Diallo isn't known for great handles at this point so I can't see him playing the point. Monk manned the two and was our best shooter. Diallo is known as a bad shooter. Hawkins became a very reliable shooter the last month or two and provided leadership
and experience and great defense. Not sure you can really afford to play Diallo over him. The 3 spot is the one area he could have gotten some run, but no guarantee he was any better than what we had. Briscoe, while shorter, was tough as shit. Really good ball handler and could attack the rim at will against a lot of teams. He was a pretty solid defender and was really the only other player we had with experience. I'm not saying Diallo wouldn't have been able to come in and play for some
short stretches, but to act like he was likely the difference make is a little much. Especially when you factor in 3/4 of our fan base was blaming a rogue ref for causing it.

The University of Kentucky's sole objective is to prepare students for their professional lives. Every single aspect of the university, so by extension, yes. Even the basketball team.

College is a business. They may be what they're selling but it's to benefit themselves on selling this dream.

I work for a university. This is what we sell to kids as a means to make money and benefit us. You think we want a kid to go to another school and give them the money? You think we care about another kid's dream who didn't go to our school?

Don't mistaken the product a university sells for the actual motive.

None of us would care one iota about these people if they didn't play for Kentucky. We like basketball. That's what we care about. We care about what helps the success of the program. That's it.

Also, don't think that had Diallo played and not done all that well (which is very likely under the circumstances), that he wouldn't have been bashed by fans for messing up our run. And Cal would have been bashed just as hard if not harder.

I've listed myriad red flags for months. His intent has been obvious to those willing to see. It isn't his fault though, Cal allowed it.

I believe the same. The red flags are endless and have been named.

Cal is the best at this, he allowed Diallo to hide and that's my opinion. Just knowing how Cal is, you've gotta be open to that being a serious truth.

And if someone's stance is "you can't prove it!" Well no, because the family will take it to the grave. But I'm sure it will come out in the next few years. Maybe.

That's utterly ridiculous.

Call it ridiculous all you want, but it's true. Why would it be ridiculous it play for a bunch of whiney but fans that constantly question if their players even care, criticize relentlessly during slumps, & constantly bash every decision? BBN's negativity is even being used on the recruiting trail...that ought to tell you something.

College is a business. They may be what they're selling but it's to benefit themselves on selling this dream.

I work for a university. This is what we sell to kids as a means to make money and benefit us. You think we want a kid to go to another school and give them the money? You think we care about another kid's dream who didn't go to our school?

Don't mistaken the product university sells for the actual motive.

None of us would care one iota about these people if they didn't play for Kentucky. We like basketball. That's what we care about. We care about what helps the success of the program. That's it.

Finally, something I can agree with you about.

There was a time that I loved college basketball. I couldn't wait until November rolled around. I'd watch every game I could. Now, I only watch when UK is playing. And I don't even enjoy that as much as I once did. And that is because the NBA has turned college basketball into an absolute joke by taking away all of the decent talent at such an early age.

I don't know what Diallo will ultimately decide to do. But I do know the mere fact that we are even having this discussion right now illustrates just how bad the problem has become.

iu

Also, don't think that had Diallo played and not done all that well (which is very likely under the circumstances), that he wouldn't have been bashed by fans for messing up our run. And Cal would have been bashed just as hard if not harder.

I do agree I'm not sure he would have been ready unless he played immediately, then you've got another issue of the flow of our team. Who knows.

Of course then comes the "if he's ready to go pro then" conversation which is tough to argue given what our position was. Dunno.

Truth hurts!

That's hardly helping your case. Proof would. I find it unlikely that comments from a small percentage of fans on a message board plays anything more than a microscopic role in a recruit's decision. His relationship with Smart and Texas's reputation and network of alumni are apparently what played an overwhelming role.

Reactions: martinsm30

Don't mistaken the product university sells for the actual motive.

So, you work for a college you openly admit doesn't give a shit about the students and is just trying to profit from them and insinuate that taking advantage of them for money is the sole reason they exist. Yet, you are upset at a kid whom you are accusing of doing the exact thing to a university?

Then you say you wouldn't care on iota about people who don't play here. Well, by your account Diallo is not going to play here. So why do you seem to be upset by that?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT