ADVERTISEMENT

See this setting up with Duke.

Catfan2226

Senior
Apr 13, 2012
How does Rafters see this setup happening with ESPN controlling things with the ESPN classic and the ACC/SEC challenge.
2024-25 Duke in the classic
2025-26 Duke at Rupp in challenge
2026-27 Duke at Duke in challenge
2027-28 Duke in the classic.

I can see this happening easily. It would be good for basketball and ratings. At least they would have to come to Rupp.

How does Rafters see this setup happening with ESPN controlling things with the ESPN classic and the ACC/SEC challenge.

I can see this happening easily. It would be good for basketball and ratings. At least they would have to come to Rupp.
Good for both sides.

If the ACC is still around lol
Do not think that is so far fetched. It is one thing to have FSU & Clemson rumbling about moving to SEC or B1G but when North Carolina @ Chapel Hill starts talking about the need to move to either and that Duke would head to the Big East is in the discussion…the ACC is not a for sure.

Do not think that is so far fetched. It is one thing to have FSU & Clemson rumbling about moving to SEC or B1G but when North Carolina @ Chapel Hill starts talking about the need to move to either and that Duke would head to the Big East is in the discussion…the ACC is not a for sure.
I think they have 2-3 more years max as it stands now. Too many schools looking into legal ramifications of bolting. FSU and Clemson football are the money for that conference. They go and it's the end of ACC as a P5 if not a conference all together. Also word in UNC and NC State are looking at exit plans as well.

As to the OPs original thought, that would be really good for both schools and college hoops for the next half decade

Tired of seeing articles of Flagg being the greatest player of all time. His coach said what sets him apart is that he plays 100% every second of every game. Has more heart than anybody not to mention how great of a player he is in all phases.

Who will we put on him? Has to be a guy that is rough, tough, doesn't back down and an attitude of showing that this guy is not the god of basketball he is built up to be. Who on our roster can handle that?

Tired of seeing articles of Flagg being the greatest player of all time. His coach said what sets him apart is that he plays 100% every second of every game. Has more heart than anybody not to mention how great of a player he is in all phases.

Who will we put on him? Has to be a guy that is rough, tough, doesn't back down and an attitude of showing that this guy is not the god of basketball he is built up to be. Who on our roster can handle that?
He is a good player but not all that special. Highly overrated in my opinion.

Reactions: Catfan2226
So I guess it will be Carr and Almonor matched up with the god of basketball Flagg? Have read that Uweh is such a good defender he can guard 1-4. So how do you think our three guys match up with what you have seen of the god of basketball? Their two starting guards are 6-5. I know we will get another guard but how do you think our guards will match up with their two starters?

Last edited:
Its on us to remain competitive to get those matchups. Duke's gonna keep fishin' in the Top 15 Player Well. We're recruiting to a system & a culture now.

Should be interesting. Does this make us America's Team if we have success.

On us to remain competitive? What?

Well he should only be an issue for one season so let's worry about that when the time comes. Pope recruited knowing defense is going to be paramount in the SEC. If Flagg tries to go to the rim, we have a three-time Conference Defensive POY there to greet him in Amari Williams. Uweh is supposed to be a good defender as well. We've faced great players in the past to varying degrees of success, we can't go in being afraid of him.

A few of the 4 year guys that are men. We should be good against Flagg.

Reactions: ACT ONE
That game should be a defensive display. both teams are set up very nicely defensively. I wish it were a little later in the year after both teams have had time to come together with what they want to do and how they want to play.

Next year we got a extremely old team . Lots of experience, defense, and shooting. I like our chances against a younger Duke team that no longer her has their hof coach.

Reactions: Blueheart32
Its on us to remain competitive to get those matchups. Duke's gonna keep fishin' in the Top 15 Player Well. We're recruiting to a system & a culture now.

Should be interesting. Does this make us America's Team if we have success?
Huh? Remain competitive? The whole landscape of the game has changed. Why does everybody always put Duke on a different level? They lost half their team to the portal. They lace up their Chuck Taylor’s just like everybody else. Me personally I’d rather start a home and home with just about anybody but them. And I damn sure don’t feel the need to kiss that ESPN ass.

I like having a legit stopper at each level.

Mixing up Oweh and Williams on Flagg might frustrate him.

Next year we got a extremely old team . Lots of experience, defense, and shooting. I like our chances against a younger Duke team that no longer her has their hof coach.
I'm not sure how young Duke will be. I think there will only be two freshmen starting. I do expect that to be a hell of a game as is usually the case when Duke and KY hook up.

Huh? Remain competitive? The whole landscape of the game has changed. Why does everybody always put Duke on a different level? They lost half their team to the portal. They lace up their Chuck Taylor’s just like everybody else. Me personally I’d rather start a home and home with just about anybody but them. And I damn sure don’t feel the need to kiss that ESPN ass.
Yeah I'm not worried about Duke. We are going to play them and unlike some that won't give us a chance, I think we are gonna be right there. Flagg doesn't scare me at all.
ESPN controls the match-up for the ACC/SEC challenge and the ESPN classic so I fully expect the matchups to happen.They get a 4 year series which is something neither school could agree on under K.

Probably not on the years we play them in the CC.

Probably not on the years we play them in the CC.
We play them this upcoming season in the Champions Classic.
We get a home game in the ACC/SEC challenge in 25-26 so that can work.
We go on the road in the Challenge in 26-27 so that can work.
Rotation wise, we end up playing Duke again in the Champions Classic in the 27-28 season.
It's possible for the next 4 seasons.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I see ESPN scheduling Duke vs UK at Cameron when Duke is preseason #1 and UK is not ranked, I see Duke at UK when Duke is top 10 and UK is top 25. No way ESPN wants UK to go to Cameron overall #1 and Duke say 20.

We will have Duke this year in the classic then probably will not see Duke for a couple of years.

If ESPN wanted big matchups this year in the challenge, they would do Bama vs ACC 1 / Tennessee vs ACC 2 / UK vs ACC 3 / Arkansas vs ACC 4 / Auburn vs ACC 5 and so forth. Doubt this happens but would be the best match ups.

I see ESPN scheduling Duke vs UK at Cameron when Duke is preseason #1 and UK is not ranked, I see Duke at UK when Duke is top 10 and UK is top 25. No way ESPN wants UK to go to Cameron overall #1 and Duke say 20.

We will have Duke this year in the classic then probably will not see Duke for a couple of years.

If ESPN wanted big matchups this year in the challenge, they would do Bama vs ACC 1 / Tennessee vs ACC 2 / UK vs ACC 3 / Arkansas vs ACC 4 / Auburn vs ACC 5 and so forth. Doubt this happens but would be the best match ups.
Rankings don't matter when it comes to a UK - Duke matchup.
Since we are on the road and Duke is at home in the challenge this season, I suspect the matchup scenario I mentioned in the OP to happen.
It's ESPN and trust me, they want the matchup and the ratings plus it will be good for college basketball.

Rankings don't matter when it comes to a UK - Duke matchup.
Since we are on the road and Duke is at home in the challenge this season, I suspect the matchup scenario I mentioned in the OP to happen.
It's ESPN and trust me, they want the matchup and the ratings plus it will be good for college basketball.
I agree with good for college basketball. I would like to see that game as well.

I have been really wanting more chances to right the ship with our record regarding Duke, it seems like they always get a favorable draw at a favorable time, and now I'm excited to face them with a tougher more experienced defensive minded team.

I don’t care whether UK plays them or not. I think it’s interesting how they are a ZERO factor in ACC schools moving to the Big Ten or the SEC…they are mentioned as possibly and expansion school for the Big East.

I don’t care whether UK plays them or not. I think it’s interesting how they are a ZERO factor in ACC schools moving to the Big Ten or the SEC…they are mentioned as possibly and expansion school for the Big East.
It is interesting. Wonder what they would do football wise since the Big East doesn't do football

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT