ADVERTISEMENT

SEC teams will thump this team

I know it’s just the third game of the season….smh….but at a certain point, you are what you are. And right now, we are the worst SEC team I’ve seen play this year.

What a miserable thread to start during the game. Almost like you are blowing the whistle on anyone having fun tonight. You alone?

I am now. Everybody left about the time I made the thread. Dad said we’d be lucky to beat Vandy and he’s an eternal optimist like you guys. SMHI guess we’ll see. Miss St at Starkville should be interesting They’re horrible, right? What about Missouri at home?

I see the potential of a good team. Hopefully the coaches will continue to develop the players. And of course, hopefully they can start injury free.

I know it’s just the third game of the season….smh….but at a certain point, you are what you are. And right now, we are the worst SEC team I’ve seen play this year.
Harsh view but accurate as well. I keep waiting for this team to develop into a mature football program. As each week goes by, this team repeatedly, demonstrates the exact same inefficiencies. There are 4 or 5 players that are holding this team up. Going into SEC play, this team will have a very difficult time.

Potential is there. The main irk I have is refusal to correct. Burton is horrible at center, no change. We continue to be unprepared for every game, and have far too many mental lapses.
For 11 years running it's the same crap every year. We shouldn't be fighting tooth and nail with the MAC, shouldn't be nervous most of the game against EKU 11 years deep.

I actually believe this is gonna turn out to be a good season. However, I would have thought they would have manhandled Akron more than they did. I’m still not impressed with special teams, that’s for sure.

Ok.

I’ve been a Cat fan, for 49 years, and have seen far worse 11 year stretches . . . in fact all 11 year periods prior to Stoops were worse, dating back to Bear Bryant.
I don't dispute that. But we regularly show up unmotivated, with crappy discipline. Stoops himself still has all kinds of blunders After 11 years some of the things still look like it's year 1, and it happens every single year.

I don't dispute that. But we regularly show up unmotivated, with crappy discipline. Stoops himself still has all kinds of blunders After 11 years some of the things still look like it's year 1, and it happens every single year.
... "every single year", you're absolutely right. Stoops, I believe, is happy to settle for "mediocre" as long as he can claim improvement. Yes, there has been improvement, but playing in the SEC requires a special mindset regarding coaching and managing these players development. The continued mistakes and lack of execution, game after game, and year after year is concerning. I will be happy to be proven wrong and hope I am but it's a consistent trend. The real test will come as we get into the meat of the conference. I'm afraid that much of the pre-season hype is just that ... talk. Again, I do hope that I'm wrong.

... "every single year", you're absolutely right. Stoops, I believe, is happy to settle for "mediocre" as long as he can claim improvement. Yes, there has been improvement, but playing in the SEC requires a special mindset regarding coaching and managing these players development. The continued mistakes and lack of execution, game after game, and year after year is concerning. I will be happy to be proven wrong and hope I am but it's a consistent trend. The real test will come as we get into the meat of the conference. I'm afraid that much of the pre-season hype is just that ... talk. Again, I do hope that I'm wrong.
Stoops is a "good" coach... but after this stuff year after year after year, why do we hope he's gonna' be something he's not...?!

And since we can't recruit anywhere near the top of the SEC, these "lapses" are even more critical to avoid....

This team has the talent to be top 5 in the SEC but they are very poorly coached. And the coaches really don't seem to care. Usually Stoops teams at least play hard but I'm not even seeing that minus a few players. I'm not optimistic about the season. Hope I'm wrong though!

We don't have top 5 sec talent. Just stop.
You're welcome to disagree, but I'll post my opinion as much as I please. Besides, you should learn reading comprehension. I didn't say we have top 5 sec talent. I said we have the talent to be in the top 5 of the SEC. Meaning, if we were well coached, disciplined and driven, we could be close to the top. But we don't have those things so the talent we do have is wasted.

Last edited:
UK is NOT the worst SEC team I have seen play this year so far. Miss St,Vandy have looked worse. Tennessee has not looked great,nor has Bama, and I think we have a betterQB than both of them. South Carolona has looked good in places but has folded in 2nd half of 2 games. Thats 5 games on our schedule that look winnable to me. Not saying we will but it is very possible. The SEC is way down this year ,we eliminate mistakes we coild actually make a run warts and all

Reactions: m080470
This team has the talent to be top 5 in the SEC but they are very poorly coached. And the coaches really don't seem to care. Usually Stoops teams at least play hard but I'm not even seeing that minus a few players. I'm not optimistic about the season. Hope I'm wrong though!

That just isn't the case. LSU, Texas A&M, Bama, UF, UGA and UT all have more talent. Stoops and his staff are definitely top 5 in development of players.

Reactions: The-Hack
Harsh view but accurate as well. I keep waiting for this team to develop into a mature football program. As each week goes by, this team repeatedly, demonstrates the exact same inefficiencies. There are 4 or 5 players that are holding this team up. Going into SEC play, this team will have a very difficult time.
Leary
Davis
Robinson
Walker
Wallace

... are the 5 that come to mind

Leary
Davis
Robinson
Walker
Wallace

... are the 5 that come to mind
Silver, Rybka, Phillips, Hairston, Oxendine...

Offense hasn't had the best time but they've improved and the personnel are such that anyone could step up to be a playmaker.

The team has shown improvement. Might not be as quick as we'd like, but we have improved, and we'll continue to improve.

Ordinarily I might agree based on what we've seen this year, but Week 3 is complete and EVERY SEC team seems to be a question mark for me. I can't tell who's good and bad this year.

I think we are judging an art work 1/4th completed.

I foresee a Rembrandt, and some foresee much less.

Time will tell, but as to the comment that the Coaches don’t care, you can see and feel Coach White’s passion for 60 rows up.

Liam is in the press box. Stoops has never been faulted for a lack of passion, and tends to go overboard.

You are taking the pessimistic case but I do not agree. You are what you are does not apply after 3 nonconference games with a new Qback and 3 new OLinemen. Some teams are obviously better or worse than their preseason billings.

UP

Ole Miss
Missouri
Florida

DOWN

Bama
Tennessee
Texas A&M
South Carolina
Arkansas
Vandy
Miss State

IMO Kentucky, Georgia, LSU, and Auburn have not declared themselves yet and are still working through big changes with the roster or the coaching staff. If you think Kentucky is the worst team in our league, you have not seen Arkansas, Miss State. or South Carolina. I am not even sure Bama and Tennessee can handle us in Lexington but those games are far enough off that things will be clearer by then.

Reactions: The-Hack
I’ve seen enough of Bama’s offense that I think it can best be described as a Lynn Bowden offense, but missing Lynn Bowden..

Like we often do, we tend to play up or down to the level of the competition. We’ll rise to the competition when we need to.

Reactions: JPFisher
Like we often do, we tend to play up or down to the level of the competition. We’ll rise to the competition when we need to.
Agree, but something is “off” this year so far.
We don’t have the same fire / grit we had the last 5 years. We usually have a level of nasty somewhat.

Not sure who stayed until the end Saturday, but after the handshake some of the Akron guys (ours too) were jawing alot. Strength coaches on both sides holding some guys back. But, 95% of our guys jogged to locker room. Maybe they didn’t see it, or whatever. But normally our guys are ready to mix it up. Not saying we should have, just didn’t feel normal for us. Even on the sidelines this year we seem lethargic. Just my two cents.

Agree, but something is “off” this year so far.
We don’t have the same fire / grit we had the last 5 years. We usually have a level of nasty somewhat.

Not sure who stayed until the end Saturday, but after the handshake some of the Akron guys (ours too) were jawing alot. Strength coaches on both sides holding some guys back. But, 95% of our guys jogged to locker room. Maybe they didn’t see it, or whatever. But normally our guys are ready to mix it up. Not saying we should have, just didn’t feel normal for us. Even on the sidelines this year we seem lethargic. Just my two cents.
Interesting to hear that. On the TV broadcast, it looked pretty cordial post-game, players shaking hands, chatting a bit, and laughing.

Interesting to hear that. On the TV broadcast, it looked pretty cordial post-game, players shaking hands, chatting a bit, and laughing.
Over toward the visitor tunnel. Most met at midfield though. So their guys had to pass that way to the locker room.

Reactions: entropy13
Some of you guys act like we are the only team having mistakes. Tennessee had 6 false starts and 100 yds in penalties. Alabama same, Same. We are not the only program having errors.

That just isn't the case. LSU, Texas A&M, Bama, UF, UGA and UT all have more talent. Stoops and his staff are definitely top 5 in development of players.
Add South Carolina and Auburn in there too. Our fans can be so silly. Just go to rivals, On3 or any other service and look at the recruiting. Our fans read the hype up of Dane Key, Barion Brown and actually believe they are great??? They are tiny, tiny SEC receivers. Keys arms are as big as my wrist. Have Jaylyn Hyatt stand next to them and you gotta laugh at the difference. Yet, some of our fans believe the hype.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT