ADVERTISEMENT

SEC Commissioner Sankey denies request to be removed from UNCheat infractions panel

Smashcat

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 13, 2012
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-denies-request-removed-unc-infractions-panel

RALEIGH, N.C. -- Southeastern Conference commissioner Greg Sankey has denied a request seeking his removal as head of the NCAA infractions panel handling North Carolina's ongoing academic case because of a conflict of interest.

Sankey stated in an April 14 letter obtained by The Associated Press that the panel would "fairly decide this case."

"The panel, including me, will hear and decide this case based on the case record and the membership's bylaws," Sankey wrote to all involved parties.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-denies-request-removed-unc-infractions-panel

RALEIGH, N.C. -- Southeastern Conference commissioner Greg Sankey has denied a request seeking his removal as head of the NCAA infractions panel handling North Carolina's ongoing academic case because of a conflict of interest.

Sankey stated in an April 14 letter obtained by The Associated Press that the panel would "fairly decide this case."

"The panel, including me, will hear and decide this case based on the case record and the membership's bylaws," Sankey wrote to all involved parties.
If nothing else, he knows how things work with SEC football. He should be an ally to UNC.

Espn filed this under College Football.

because according to UNC it is a football and women's basketball issue not men's basketball. I also find it funny in the article they only mention the fake classes and never mention extra benefits in the form of cars, thousand dollar dental guards, etc. Even if they can get off on the argument that other students took those classes there were still benefits received by basketball players that would make them ineligible on that championship team.

because according to UNC it is a football and women's basketball issue not men's basketball. I also find it funny in the article they only mention the fake classes and never mention extra benefits in the form of cars, thousand dollar dental guards, etc. Even if they can get off on the argument that other students took those classes there were still benefits received by basketball players that would make them ineligible on that championship team.

Yes, but I don't believe the specific things u have cited are contained in the NCAA's ANOA

Does anyone know the basis of the alleged "conflict of interest" cited by UNC against Sanky?

Actually, not sure this is good. Any negative or extremely negative decision will be a big controversy with statements how the SEC was at fault or biased. Now, I expect a slap on the wrist.

Absolutely no reason to remove Sankey. Who do they want on the committee, only UNC alums?

On a side note, my wife knows the lawyer that filed (Abrams), from her last job. Ironically he works for the firm that represented the Duke lacrosse team (whose lead attorney is a UNC alum).

Sankey also said there will be no more delays.

From the article:

"Sankey's letter also details a new timetable of completion for the oft-delayed case. UNC must respond to the latest charges by May 16. The NCAA enforcement staff then has until July 17 for its own response. Sankey wrote that his panel will hear the case in August with "anticipated" dates of Aug. 16 and 17."

Reactions: catman1996
Notice how the heel faithful could care less about 18 years of fraud as long as it doesn't hurt their entertainment. Academics my azz.

Hey Bubba you and ole honest Roy need any help getting those banners down !! You cheating POS !!

Actually, not sure this is good. Any negative or extremely negative decision will be a big controversy with statements how the SEC was at fault or biased. Now, I expect a slap on the wrist.
How you got a "slap on the wrist" out of that is crazy. This reeks of desperation and UNC knows they're toast.

They probably requested he be replaced with the ACC president or ESPN's John Skipper or Dick Vitale.

That was just a huge delaying tactic by UNC. By August, they wil argue that the COI cannot issue any punishment so close to the beginning of football and basketball season. So Roy will get Kevin Knox and have his last chance for another championship before their recruiting collapses entirely and he retires. :chairshot:

How you got a "slap on the wrist" out of that is crazy. This reeks of desperation and UNC knows they're toast.
I have posted this before, but I have read somewhere on here that people in Carolina are expecting to get hit hard by the NCAA and all these delays are UNC's way of setting themselves up for a battle in the legal system and the NCAA's way of playing their cards right to make sure nothing gets overturned. That piece of information is really the only thing I hold on to for any hope something actually happens to UNCheats.

Reactions: EliteBlue and awf
To me as for what he said about not allowing anymore delays. Considering they've been allowed in last 2 tournaments for no good reason whatsoever, Has me certain UNC has now reached full panic mode and Roy ain't too happy right about now. This is probably the best twist in this case us UK fans could've hoped for. Even if it's a watered down version that only includes 9 year of something that went on for 2 decades. The NOA should be much worse. But it's a lot better than you'd expect. Not gonna get my hopes up too much. But it's finally looking like the hammer is about to come down on those scummy dirty SOB's. Hopefully. Please please put the nail in the coffin to Roy's scandalous cheat filled career.

Old Roy was an assistant to Smith. He knew about this long before he was ever the HC. UNC is falling with out a parachute. They are grabbing hands full of air right before they crash. I believe it will be a big crash...........

Two banners come down, but no financial penalty, scholarship reductions, or tourney ban. Would you be satisfied?

I ask because that would be the most difficult penalty to challenge in court.

I am glad someone has the balls to stand up to UNC** cheaters. This has dragged on for way to long. BUT I believe the hammer will fall when I see it happen. Like others I don't think UNC will get hard by the NCAA. Hopefully they do but we will see in Aug. I guess.

I find it absolutely disgusting that the school administrators, Boards, teachers and even Judges and a DA are complicit in this cover-up and delay, not to mention the decades of cheating. How could anyone in Academia ever take them seriously again?

And I certainly do not recognize their cheating "championship" from this season. I spit on it.

Two banners come down, but no financial penalty, scholarship reductions, or tourney ban. Would you be satisfied?

I ask because that would be the most difficult penalty to challenge in court.

I'll be satisfied if the punishment is fair and equitable as compared to how Memphis and UMass had their wins removed due to playing an "ineligible player". UNC is guilty of the exact same thing and according to the rules (and past cases) any wins associated are null and void. That includes title games.

I'll not be happy unless all schools, past and present, are treated the same.

I find it absolutely disgusting that the school administrators, Boards, teachers and even Judges and a DA are complicit in this cover-up and delay, not to mention the decades of cheating. How could anyone in Academia ever take them seriously again?

And I certainly do not recognize their cheating "championship" from this season. I spit on it.

they all devalued the unc education -- which sucks for the hundred thousand students who legitimately earned their degrees during that period.

Something that I just found out, it was the lawyer for Crowder who asked Sankey to be recused. I had always thought it was UNC's lawyer, but it was not. I am sure, though, that UNC were in his ear to do this all along. Any chance the NCAA/COI is going to give UNC an out (either by legal means or other) so that when they (if they do) crush them with penalties then UNC can weasel out? If the NCAA/COI wants to protect UNC like everyone says, then they'd be dumb not to give them some way out while at the same time looking "tough" for their upcoming legal cases.

Biggest takeaway from that is that Crowder's affidavit didn't have any impact. There is no 4th NOA. That means the charges for MBB and football will stand. One way or another, basketball is getting punished, folks.

The extra benefits charge would lead one to believe that a bunch of games are soon to be vacated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT