ADVERTISEMENT

SEC Commissioner Sankey denies request to be removed from UNCheat infractions panel

I guess I'm one of the few who believes UNC and UofL are both gonna get nuked.

The NCAA is teetering on the edge of irrelevance.

If they don't come down hard on the cheaters an whoremongers, the rest of the member schools will disown the NCAA.

Biggest takeaway from that is that Crowder's affidavit didn't have any impact. There is no 4th NOA. That means the charges for MBB and football will stand. One way or another, basketball is getting punished, folks.

The extra benefits charge would lead one to believe that a bunch of games are soon to be vacated.

Too early to say that it had no impact. It was not necessarily intended to change the direction of the enforcement process. It's about building a case.

Too early to say that it had no impact. It was not necessarily intended to change the direction of the enforcement process. It's about building a case.
Maybe, but they obviously aren't amending the NOA again, so they kept her refusal to cooperate as an aggravating factor. Plus, I took it as a positive that Sankey adamantly said there would be no more delays, so there's no reason for Nyang'oro to come forward now.

Reactions: awf and Lumpy 2
The way I see it-
If I were a UNC fan I wouldn't really care if the banners were taken down. I still watched the games and UNC won them. My memory is all I need.

What I want to happen is a few years of post season ban, no television, and scholarship reductions. I want them to be irrelevant for a while. That's what I want. I could care less about the banners really.

Maybe, but they obviously aren't amending the NOA again, so they kept her refusal to cooperate as an aggravating factor. Plus, I took it as a positive that Sankey adamantly said there would be no more delays, so there's no reason for Nyang'oro to come forward now.

Sankey's attitude is a positive. However, I think you're missing my point. The point of Crowder's affidavit and efforts was not intended to secure a new NOA. It's about attacking the veracity of the NCAA's keystone evidence and building the narrative around the COI pursuing a pre-determined outcome.

This is litigation strategy, not NCAA enforcement strategy.

Reactions: Big_Blue79

I'd add one thing about Sankey. To me, the most important thing he said was not the part about there being no delay. It was his comments about leaks and the lack of confidentiality. He's essentially telling UNC, we see what you're doing with your communication strategy and we're not going to play ball. That, to me at least, was the most encouraging part. Hopefully it reflects his true attitude.

Reactions: awf and jarms24
I'd add one thing about Sankey. To me, the most important thing he said was not the part about there being no delay. It was his comments about leaks and the lack of confidentiality. He's essentially telling UNC, we see what you're doing with your communication strategy and we're not going to play ball. That, to me at least, was the most encouraging part. Hopefully it reflects his true attitude.

Plus, I don't think that UNC asking him to step down will endear him to UNC.

Reactions: awf
Sankey's attitude is a positive. However, I think you're missing my point. The point of Crowder's affidavit and efforts was not intended to secure a new NOA. It's about attacking the veracity of the NCAA's keystone evidence and building the narrative around the COI pursuing a pre-determined outcome.

This is litigation strategy, not NCAA enforcement strategy.
No, I get what you're saying, and I don't disagree. The problem with that strategy is that it will still fail. They're a member institution who voluntarily pledges membership to the NCAA. They may successfully tie it up in the court system for a while, but they'll never win, as long as the COI follows the process outlined in the bylaws, which they have.

I don't think the article specified who made those comments, but I agree with your point here. UNC has pissed the COI off, so I feel less worried about them being in bed together on this. Also, if that comment wasn't made by Sankey, then it sounds like the entire COI have formed a consensus on this. UNC have done themselves no favors.

Something that I just found out, it was the lawyer for Crowder who asked Sankey to be recused. I had always thought it was UNC's lawyer, but it was not. I am sure, though, that UNC were in his ear to do this all along.

I specifically mentioned this in the earlier UNC thread from a few days ago.

I think this is the most overlooked aspect of the UNC case of late.

At the time this affidavit from Crowder came out, it was literally days away from UNC having to finally respond to the ANOA. And this gave UNC yet another delay in the case, something UNC has already used in the past with their last-minute "additional findings" stunt.

I questioned at the time the motivations of Crowder to go years in silence only to come forward now. And its not like she did so with a simple statement, instead she arrives with an affidavit with a high-priced lawyer. It was clearly a stunt at the behest of, and likely funded by, UNC.

And if anyone doubted the true intent, "her" lawyer soon starts leaking statements about Sankey and the NCAA and their authority to rule in the UNC case.

This has little to nothing to do with Deborah Crowder and her "desire" to defend the legitimacy of the "classes" she ran and everything to do with pushing UNC's narrative trying to derail the current ANOA by any means necessary. There's no doubt who Crowder's lawyer is actually working for. Kind of disappointed no one in the national press seems to have recognized this.

I hope they get the full measure of punishment. Vacated titles and wins. Years of probation and reduced scholarships. No live TV for a year and no post season for 2 years at least. I want blood.

The NCAA needs to grow a pair and walk into the Dean Dome and apply a little fire to those banners...
tumblr_lr9ixerOnS1qgm57xo1_500.gif

But they'll only do this...
tumblr_m7j4porlSq1qmwjyxo1_400.gif

Every Committee on Infractions is made up of administrators from member institutions, including athletic directors, so why is this case any different? And, if UNC hadn't drug this case out for years with their delay tactics, Sankey wouldn't be involved in the decision.

The way I see it-
If I were a UNC fan I wouldn't really care if the banners were taken down. I still watched the games and UNC won them. My memory is all I need.

What I want to happen is a few years of post season ban, no television, and scholarship reductions. I want them to be irrelevant for a while. That's what I want. I could care less about the banners really.

I'm in the same boat. Vacated games are a really hollow punishment that merely serve as a consolation to the fact that they weren't caught before they benefitted(in this case benefitted greatly) from their misdeeds.

They should have been on probation as soon as the emails surfaced.

I will say I doubt the NCAA hits them hard enough to truly set them back like they used to do to programs. They've already stated they don't want to punish programs so severely that it takes years to recover and what they did to Syracuse and SMU backs that up.

20 maybe even as few as 10 years ago Syracuse gets a multiple year post season ban, no tv, and scholarship reductions on top of the vacated games.

They makes me suspicious that whatever if any punishment UNC receives will likely pale in comparison to what teams punished in the past have received.

I'm in the same boat. Vacated games are a really hollow punishment that merely serve as a consolation to the fact that they weren't caught before they benefitted(in this case benefitted greatly) from their misdeeds.

They should have been on probation as soon as the emails surfaced.

I will say I doubt the NCAA hits them hard enough to truly set them back like they used to do to programs. They've already stated they don't want to punish programs so severely that it takes years to recover and what they did to Syracuse and SMU backs that up.

20 maybe even as few as 10 years ago Syracuse gets a multiple year post season ban, no tv, and scholarship reductions on top of the vacated games.

They makes me suspicious that whatever if any punishment UNC receives will likely pale in comparison to what teams punished in the past have received.

All the more reason to cheat unless you're UK. We would get hammered. Obviously the punishment does not fit the crime anymore in college athletics or even the real world for that matter. We've become a soft society.

I'd bet anyone on here a cup of coffee that while unc may, may be sanctioned there will be no significant penalties levied specifically at men's bball. The ncaa will not take away championships. They will not "nuke" the program. What they may do is what Ky administrators allegedly "allowed" to happen in 1976/77 +/- a year. They will sacrifice Football and/or minor sports in order to protect bball. Makes me sick, but that's what I expect to happen.

I specifically mentioned this in the earlier UNC thread from a few days ago.

I think this is the most overlooked aspect of the UNC case of late.

At the time this affidavit from Crowder came out, it was literally days away from UNC having to finally respond to the ANOA. And this gave UNC yet another delay in the case, something UNC has already used in the past with their last-minute "additional findings" stunt.

I questioned at the time the motivations of Crowder to go years in silence only to come forward now. And its not like she did so with a simple statement, instead she arrives with an affidavit with a high-priced lawyer. It was clearly a stunt at the behest of, and likely funded by, UNC.

And if anyone doubted the true intent, "her" lawyer soon starts leaking statements about Sankey and the NCAA and their authority to rule in the UNC case.

This has little to nothing to do with Deborah Crowder and her "desire" to defend the legitimacy of the "classes" she ran and everything to do with pushing UNC's narrative trying to derail the current ANOA by any means necessary. There's no doubt who Crowder's lawyer is actually working for. Kind of disappointed no one in the national press seems to have recognized this.

Is there any doubt that UNCheat is the most corrupt academic institution to date, that we know of? Maybe there is a scummier one somewhere but if so, they haven't been found out yet. UNCheat has alumni in all walks of life, deep pockets, and an endless reserve of gall. It's really disappointing that so few people are willing to call them out, and even more disappointing how many people defend them, like Bilas, the late John Saunders, etc.

Reactions: jarms24
I would think modern conference television contracts pretty much take a TV ban off the table.

Two banners come down, but no financial penalty, scholarship reductions, or tourney ban. Would you be satisfied?

I ask because that would be the most difficult penalty to challenge in court.
How about 2 banners and a tourney ban equal to the number of years
as they had fake classes

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-denies-request-removed-unc-infractions-panel

RALEIGH, N.C. -- Southeastern Conference commissioner Greg Sankey has denied a request seeking his removal as head of the NCAA infractions panel handling North Carolina's ongoing academic case because of a conflict of interest.

Sankey stated in an April 14 letter obtained by The Associated Press that the panel would "fairly decide this case."

"The panel, including me, will hear and decide this case based on the case record and the membership's bylaws," Sankey wrote to all involved parties.

Instead of Sankey, let's pack the panel with UNC graduates (were there any?).

A couple of notes of interest is Greg Sankey holds a degree from Syracuse. You know he's not gonna cut UNC any slack particularly after what the COI did to Syracuse. Also, Bobby Cremins, former Georgia Tech Coach is a COI member as well. You gotta think all those losses he suffered at the hands of UNC will factor in his thinking.
Their bios from 2013. They both were reappointed and are current COI members:

Gregory Sankey, SEC – Associate commissioner of the Southeastern Conference, Sankey handles all compliance matters for the league. A former commissioner of the Southland Conference, Sankey holds degrees from Cortland State and Syracuse. Sankey’s term expires in September 2016, and he is eligible for reappointment.

Bobby Cremins – A former head basketball coach at College of Charleston, Appalachian State and Georgia Tech, Cremins retired in 2012. He received degrees from South Carolina

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/committee-infractions

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT