ADVERTISEMENT

Scouting Stony Brook

IL Wildcat

Feb 20, 2003
Southern IL
Stony Brook Seawolves
Conference Affiliation: America East
Head Coach: Steve Pikiell 195-173 (.530)

Record: 26-6 (15-1 home, 11-5 away, 0-0 neutral)

Schedule
11/19/15 at Vanderbilt LOT 72-79
11/21/15 at Western Kentucky L 66-67
11/24/15 at Loyola Maryland W 76-63
11/28/15 FARMINGDALE STATE W 91-42
12/05/15 PRINCETON W 91-77
12/08/15 at Notre Dame L 61-86
12/12/15 at Northeastern L 62-75
12/17/15 at American W 86-68
12/20/15 HOFSTRA W 71-68
12/22/15 at Lehigh W 75-62
12/28/15 at NJIT W 83-61
01/02/16 COLUMBIA W 69-60
*01/06/16 at Binghamton W 62-52
*01/09/16 UMASS LOWELL W 86-59
*01/13/16 UMBC W 86-74
*01/16/16 at New Hampshire W 80-50
*01/18/16 at Hartford W 77-43
*01/22/16 ALBANY W 69-63
*01/25/16 MAINE W 81-54
*01/30/16 at Vermont W 72-61
*02/03/16 BINGHAMTON W 76-51
*02/06/16 at UMass Lowell W 91-73
*02/08/16 HARTFORD W 85-72
*02/11/16 at UMBC W 75-52
*02/14/16 NEW HAMPSHIRE W 59-58
*02/17/16 at Albany L 70-82
*02/21/16 at Maine W 75-56
*02/27/16 VERMONT L 62-76
*03/02/16 UMBC W 86-76
*03/07/16 HARTFORD W 80-64
*03/12/16 VERMONT W 80-74

Probable Starters
F #20 Jameel Warney 6-8 260 Sr. 19.8pts*, 10.7reb*, 1.6ast, 3.0blocks*, no 3pt threat
F #11 Rayshaun McGrew 6-7 230 Sr. 10.8pts, 6.0reb, 1.2ast, no 3pt threat
G #10 Carson Puriefoy 6-0 175 Sr. 15.1pts, 3.3reb, 3.1ast, 1.3stls*, .401 3pt%
G #34 Lucas Woodhouse 6-3 180 Jr. 6.7pts, 2.6reb, 3.7ast, .452 3pt%*
G #5 Ahmad Walker 6-4 190 Jr. 10.4pts, 6.7reb, 4.2ast*, .234 3pt%

Key Reserves
G/F #22 Bryan Sekunda 6-6 205 So. 7.3pts, 1.6reb, 1.4ast, .398 3pt% (he's out)
G/F #24 Roland Nyama 6-6 210 So. 3.4pts, 1.6reb, .385 3pt%
F #12 Tyrell Sturdivant 6-7 225 So. 3.1pts, 3.6reb, 1/1 on season from 3
G #1 DeShaun Thrower 6-2 205 So. 1.7pts, 0.7reb, .107 3pt%
*- Denotes team leader in category

Team Stats
Points per game 76.8
Points allowed 63.4
Scoring margin +13.4
Field goal pct .476
FG% allowed .404
3-point FG pct .372
3pt FG% allowed .327
Free throw pct .672
Rebounds per game 39.6
Rebounds allowed 31.7
Rebounding margin +7.8
Assists per game 16.6
Turnovers per game 11.4
Turnover margin +1.4 -
Assist/turnover ratio 1.5
Steals per game 6.2
Blocks per game 4.6

KenPom Stats
Stony Brook Rated #91 overall
Offensive efficiency #131 nationally
Defensive efficiency #61 nationally
Biggest Strengths:
#11 in offensive block% (they don’t get their shots blocked)
#20 in defensive FT attempts per FG attempt (they don’t send people to the line)
#28 in allowing teams offensive rebounds
#20 in assists per game with 16.6
#19 in points allowed, giving up only 63.4 points per game
Biggest Weaknesses:
#290 in Strength of Schedule
#292 in FT % (they only shoot 66.8% from the FT line)
#280 in offensive FT attempts per FG attempt (they don’t get to the line)
#151 in defensive turnover % (they don’t turn people over much)

Analysis: Stony Brook is one of those “feel good stories” of this year’s tournament. The reason is the fact that they’ve been in good position for 3 years now to make the NCAA-T but failed in 2014 and 2015. So, the feel good part is that they were finally able to get over that hump this season. The thing you may not know about this is the fact that the America East Conference last season began using a different tournament format, with games being played at the various member schools and the higher seeds hosting the games in each round. So, Stony Brook HOSTED all of their conference tournament games. That’s handy, eh? Unfortunately, Des Moines is a long way from Long Island.

Looking at Strength of Schedule for Stony Brook, it's pathetic. Stony Brook finished with 26 wins, but against whom? When looking at kenpom’s ratings, their highest rated conference opponent was Albany at #119. Next was Vermont at #149. After that, it really drops off. They played 12 games in conference against teams rated BELOW 300. They played 3 more below 300 teams in the nonconference, which brings it to 15. When you include all teams below #150, that number of games jumps to 21. So, of 32 games, 21 of those were against teams rated #150 or below.

Now, when you look at games against good competition, the results were mixed. In the second game of the season, they took Vandy to OT before losing by 7 in Memorial Gym. They also went to Western KY (rated #168) and only lost by 1 point. Their worst margin of defeat was at Notre Dame, where they lost 86-61. They did have a couple double-digit losses in their league as well, losing by 12 at Albany and by 14 to Vermont at home. Their best win was a home win over #66 Princeton, 91-77. We have 3 common opponents, Vanderbilt and NJIT. UK beat Vandy at Rupp by 18 but lost to Vandy at Memorial by 12. I suppose that could be argued different ways. Stony Brook played NJIT away and won by 22, 83-61. UK got them at home at won by 30, 87-57. So, those are pretty similar. Edit: forgot Albany. UK beat Albany at home 78-65. SB beat Albany 69-63 at home and lost 70-82 at Albany.

As for Stony Brook’s personnel, it all starts with the man in the middle Jameel Warney, the 6-8 260lb Senior who makes Stony Brook dangerous. He scores 19.8 points, grabs 10.7 rebounds, and blocks 3 shots per game, leading the team in all three categories. He shoots 63.7% from the field, so he’s the real deal. It should be noted, however, that he has done much of this against weaker competition, though he dominated Vandy pretty well, with 22 and 11. Against Notre Dame, he was less effective, with 16 and 8. Western KY held him to only 11 points, but he got 16 rebounds. Needless to say, he’s going to be the focus of scouting report. Joining Warney in the frontcourt for Stony Brook is 6-7 230lb Senior forward Rayshaun McGrew. He’s an important player himself, second in rebounding and third in scoring for the Seawolves. I did notice that he struggled against the better teams on the schedule, though, and also that he's under 50% from the FT line. Neither of these big men shoot the 3 at all.

In the backcourt, Stony Brook starts another senior and 2 juniors. The primary ball handler is Ahmad Walker, the 6-4 junior. He leads an excellent passing team in assists with 4.2 per game. Unfortunately he also leads the team in turnovers, with 3.2 per game, so his assist/to ratio isn’t great. He scores 10.4 points and also rebounds very well for a guard with 6.7 per game, which is second on the team. Other than turnovers, his biggest weakness is his outside shooting, where he only averages 23.4% from 3pt range. The shooting guard for the team is Carson Puriefoy, a 6-0 senior guard who is a great scorer and good passer in his own right. He’s averaging 15.1 points per game, which is second on the team. He shoots 40.1% from 3pt range and takes more threes than anyone on the team by almost double. He’s also third in assists on the team at 3.1 per game. The third guard in the group is Lucas Woodhouse, a 6-3 180 Junior who can light it up from 3pt range, leading the team at 45.2% from beyond the arc. He didn’t start to begin the season, but he eventually broke through to the starting lineup and held his spot. The other thing Woodhouse does very well is pass the ball and set up teammates. He averages 3.7 assists per game & only turns it over 1.2 times per game, so his ast/to ratio is actually better than Walker. He scores 6.7 points per game and most of his attempts are from 3pt range.

From the bench, the Seawolves don’t go tremendously deep. The first guy off the bench is Bryan Sekunda, the guy who used to be the 5th starter before Woodhouse took the job. He’s a 6-6 guard/forward combo who plays the 2 or 3 spots mostly. His strength is probably his 3pt shooting (39.8% from 3) and his defense. He averages 7.3 points, which is 5th on the team. He rebounds a little and assists a little. He plays about 20 minutes a game. Edit: Sekunda is out with a leg injury. After these first 6 players, the other guys aren’t contributing as much. There are 2 other guys Roland Nyama, a 6-6 Sophomore who averages 3.4pts and 1.6reb in about 11 minutes per game. He’s a 38.5% 3pt shooter. Then there’s Tyrell Sturdivant, a 6-7 225 Sophomore forward who comes in for Warney or McGrew about 12 minutes per game. He only scores about 3.1pts and grabs 3.6reb per game.

After looking Stony Brook over, I will say that they have some strengths that could give many teams trouble. Namely, they have Warney inside, they have Puriefoy, Woodhouse, and Sekunda who can shoot it from deep, and they share the ball very well. But I also have to look at the way this team has feasted on cupcakes this season, which doesn't help against UK. They haven’t played a team in the top 100 nationally since before Christmas!

Meanwhile, UK has moved up to #1 in offensive efficiency in the nation and has scored 80 or more points in 9 of its last 11 games. The other encouraging thing is that the Cats’ interior players have been better of late, especially Alex Poythress, a guy who can definitely hold his own against Warney in my opinion. And even if Warney gets his 20 and 10, Stony Brook will need much more than that to knock off UK. Stony Brook has played mostly man to man to defense, though they will throw in some zone as needed. A&M threw it in here and there, switching defenses possession by possession, with better personnel, and UK still scored 82. Since Stony Brook’s big men can’t shoot and neither can their point guard, that means UK will be able to focus on defending the post more in this game than in some. I think Stony Brook, who is far from an offensive juggernaut (#131 in offensive efficiency), will struggle to score consistently. Meanwhile, they’re trying to stop the #1 offense in the nation.

Prediction: Kentucky 78 Stony Brook 62

Last edited:
Good work! Guesses: I) if Warney got 22 and 11 at Vandy, he'll get his against us, and ii) I think this will be closer for longer than expected. But we break away at the end. hopefully nothing like the Princeton game in '11!

Reactions: IL Wildcat
BWAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

They played 12 games in conference against teams rated BELOW 300. They played 3 more below 300 teams in the nonconference, which brings it to 15.

UNBELIEVABLE!

Thanks for the analysis.

On paper, and if our guys show up and turn up the heat from the opening tip and keep it on through the end of the game, UK should win by 30. Key things to me:

1) SB doesn't turn teams over. Bad for them. They'll need something more than one big guy in the paint.
2) SB doesn't shoot the 3 well. Barring a ridiculous showing, this is also bad for them. They can't rely on one dude in the paint for everything. The only teams that have beaten us or come close, managed to hit a good share of 3 pointers. Without those, SB has no chance.
3) SB has a horrible offense, even against a horrible SOS. Our defense has taken the back seat to our offense, but I don't think that matters. SB may have trouble scoring 50 points.
4) SB's depth is weak. They surely don't want to get into a running game with the Cats - and whomever is guarding Murray will need some O2 at halftime given how much he moves without the ball.
5) SB is short in the length/height department when compared to UK. We could go small and still have longer/taller guys than SB. As we've heard every year from these small teams that come in gung ho only to be squashed - "They were much bigger than we've ever faced", "their length was just too much to overcome", and "they are much more athletic than we could have predicted". Stony Brook will end up being another team with bulging eyeballs during pre-game warm-ups when they get to see just how big UK's athletes really are.
6) They shoot FTs worse than we do. They'll need all the scoring options they can get, and without this one, foul trouble for us may not result in points on the board for them.

If we don't win this by at least 20, I'll be shocked.

Stony Brook Seawolves
Conference Affiliation: America East
Head Coach: Steve Pikiell 195-173 (.530)

Record: 26-6 (15-1 home, 11-5 away, 0-0 neutral)

[etc.]

Thanks for the effort.

They're the definition of Not a Cupcake. Their center is ginormous. [in the voice off an HP Lovecraft narrator: Awaken the Winyard!]

I think it will be closer (for awhile) than others. They are a solid team that has a couple of very good players.

I assume Poy will guard Werney, that will be interesting.

One of Poy/Skal/Lee has to have a strong game.

Reactions: Jazzycat
It's also important to add that Lucas Woodhouse, one of their starting guards, is an incredibly poor defender. He struggles to keep the ball handler in front of him. He'll either defend Isaiah Briscoe, who is unstoppable in terms of penetrating to the lane and getting to the basket, and also has 30 pounds on Woodhouse, or Jamal Murray, who does most of his work off the ball, but is a very crafty ball handler, plays with his back to the basket against smaller, weaker guards, and is deadly from anywhere on the floor. Murray also has 3 inches and 35 pounds on Woodhouse.

It's also worth noting, I think Sekunda is out.

On paper, and if our guys show up and turn up the heat from the opening tip and keep it on through the end of the game, UK should win by 30. Key things to me:

1) SB doesn't turn teams over. Bad for them. They'll need something more than one big guy in the paint.
2) SB doesn't shoot the 3 well. Barring a ridiculous showing, this is also bad for them. They can't rely on one dude in the paint for everything. The only teams that have beaten us or come close, managed to hit a good share of 3 pointers. Without those, SB has no chance.
3) SB has a horrible offense, even against a horrible SOS. Our defense has taken the back seat to our offense, but I don't think that matters. SB may have trouble scoring 50 points.
4) SB's depth is weak. They surely don't want to get into a running game with the Cats - and whomever is guarding Murray will need some O2 at halftime given how much he moves without the ball.
5) SB is short in the length/height department when compared to UK. We could go small and still have longer/taller guys than SB. As we've heard every year from these small teams that come in gung ho only to be squashed - "They were much bigger than we've ever faced", "their length was just too much to overcome", and "they are much more athletic than we could have predicted". Stony Brook will end up being another team with bulging eyeballs during pre-game warm-ups when they get to see just how big UK's athletes really are.
6) They shoot FTs worse than we do. They'll need all the scoring options they can get, and without this one, foul trouble for us may not result in points on the board for them.

If we don't win this by at least 20, I'll be shocked.

1) Agreed. And here lately, Kentucky doesn't turn the ball over much anyway.

2) They have a couple of guys who can hit the 3 from the guard position, which is fine, but otherwise, our bigs can pack the paint, our guards can continue to play the half-court press, and one of our guards can help off of their man to disrupt Warney in the post whenever he's going to make a move, or backing down his man.

3) As long as our defense hits the defensive boards hard and rebounds, then our defense will be great. Not just in this game, but throughout the tournament.

4) It's hard for any team to run with UK. Especially Stony Brook. They lack athleticism, outside of a couple of spots. For those of you wondering, Warney is not an athletic guy. He'll be less athletic than all of our big men.

5) This is true. It's also important to note that the biggest hack at Warney is that he struggles to finish over length. UK has length and athleticism in spades. It's also a big game in terms of Warney's NBA future. With a career on the line, he could easily become frustrated if things aren't going his way. Take their best player out of the game, and it could get bad in a hurry.

6) They don't have a guy that can draw a ton of fouls and hit a lot of free throws. We have Murray and Ulis to do that. Woodhouse is like Willis in the way that, he won't draw a ton of fouls, but he can hit shots pretty well if he gets to the line. He has been hitting about as well as Ulis does percentage wise from the line. Difference there is, Ulis draws a lot of fouls, Woodhouse has 29 on the season.

I read that Stony Brook lives to run. If they do it will be a UK dunkfest. It may be anyway. I think this will be a 20+ game before we take our foot off the gas and it ends about 82-66.

Nice. What stands out about Stony Brook, is that they run a 6-man rotation, and 2 of those guys contributing not much. With our guards playing tough defense on one end, and gunning it on the other, Stony Brook could get gassed very quick. And that will affect whatever shooting they have.

Wait, their 6th man is out? So they are running a 5-man rotation? With one of their starts being a borderline non-factor?

Man, that spells trouble. They are thinner than Duke. This game could get ugly, fast.

Always look forward to reading your report IL Wildcat. Very good as usual. I think UK will win by 15-20 points also. Wonder if Cal will try and play some zone ?

Wait, their 6th man is out? So they are running a 5-man rotation? With one of their starts being a borderline non-factor?

Man, that spells trouble. They are thinner than Duke. This game could get ugly, fast.
Yeah, that's right. He's out. That will force those other guys into action, without question. And they haven't done much all year, so that could be really bad for them.

What little worry I had about this game is now non-existent. If Stony Brook wants to win:

1. To start, Warney has to have the game of his life. Anything less than 25 and 8 and it's a wrap.
2. Their guards need to hit 10+ 3's, BUT doing it with 60%+ efficiency. 10 for 23 won't cut it, IMO.
3. Have Kentucky be terribly off in shooting.
4. Somehow keep their energy into the last quarter of the game/stay out of foul trouble.
5. Adjust game-plan without their 6th man/someone needs to step up.

It's practically impossible. Kentucky avoids the upset.

They lost to Albany by 12 recently. UK by 25.

Interestingly enough, they only made it to the NCAAT because Ualbany got upset in the conference tournament, and Stonybrook was able to walk to the title. Ualbany was the ONLY other halfway-decent team. Not that Stonybrook can't beat them.. but it made things much easier, to not play a team that has their number in recent years...

I read that Stony Brook lives to run. If they do it will be a UK dunkfest. It may be anyway. I think this will be a 20+ game before we take our foot off the gas and it ends about 82-66.

Not any more than Kentucky does. They get 67.4 possessions per game, Kentucky gets 67.6

At least they're going to play at our pace. If they wanna go faster, that's fine.

as always, OP - thank you
I admit to having a slight case of nerves - SB has certainly been talked up and I began to think they could be slightly dangerous. Guess they still could be, but I'm not seeing anything we really should be worried about.
They are a feel good story though - and that'll get them some sympathy. I also imagine fans of other teams will be cheering for them
Still - we should beat them soundly

Hey everyone, this new revelation about Sekunda is a pretty big deal in my opinion. He was apparently lost to a leg injury back at the end of February, though information has been difficult to find. I'm sure Stony Brook, and maybe some analysts, would downplay the significance, saying he's only a 7.3 ppg scorer and a bench player. But I would disagree with that.

#1 He's a 6-6 guy who shot almost 40% from 3 and was tied for second most 3pt makes (47) on the team.
#2 He's your instant offense from the bench and had the potential to score big. He scored 21 in a game this year.
#3 You got very little else left on that bench. It's down to an 8-man rotation and really 5 guys who produce.

I was looking at that title game against Vermont, and from the bench Stony Brook got 0 points, 1 rebound, and 3 assists. I know their starters carry the load, but what if there's foul trouble? What if someone is having an off-night? So, I'm even more confident in winning this game.

Warney will be very tough, but we've got guys who can at least slow him down.

Well, they lost to Vandy on the road in overtime. That tells you they can play a little. Might have to dust off Humphries to bump with their big guy and use some fouls. Don't want to see Skal or AP get in foul trouble.

as always, OP - thank you
I admit to having a slight case of nerves - SB has certainly been talked up and I began to think they could be slightly dangerous. Guess they still could be, but I'm not seeing anything we really should be worried about.
They are a feel good story though - and that'll get them some sympathy. I also imagine fans of other teams will be cheering for them
Still - we should beat them soundly
Thanks for the analysis IL Wildcat. I agree with you and I agree with Bkocats. I just don't see what those who are picking SB see!? Their lack of size, scoring, defense, etc. just don't bode well for them. I just don't see how they can guard our guards, and our bigs out number and are taller than theirs. - Plus their lack of depth. I think we will beat them by more than 20. Go Cats!!

Reactions: BBUK and IL Wildcat
Well, they lost to Vandy on the road in overtime. That tells you they can play a little. Might have to dust off Humphries to bump with their big guy and use some fouls. Don't want to see Skal or AP get in foul trouble.
Yes, I agree. It will likely be all hands on deck for this one. I'm sure we'll see a little bit of everyone on him. I wouldn't be surprised to see us double him every time he touches it in the post.

Reactions: Bkocats
It's Tuesday and I'm already starting to feel my NCAA tournament level of nervousness, and it's still two days until game day! Stony brook has one guy that can go pro against a bunch of our future pros. Talent is significantly to our advantage and so is athleticism, depth, coaching, and well you all get the picture! I can't stop thinking about Thursday night!

Yeah but that was in mid November. If they played Vandy later in the season they would have probably been blown out. Also Vandy always plays bad early on, in fact the last good team they had, 2011-2012 season, lost to Cleveland state in November.

Hey everyone, this new revelation about Sekunda is a pretty big deal in my opinion. He was apparently lost to a leg injury back at the end of February, though information has been difficult to find. I'm sure Stony Brook, and maybe some analysts, would downplay the significance, saying he's only a 7.3 ppg scorer and a bench player. But I would disagree with that.

#1 He's a 6-6 guy who shot almost 40% from 3 and was tied for second most 3pt makes (47) on the team.
#2 He's your instant offense from the bench and had the potential to score big. He scored 21 in a game this year.
#3 You got very little else left on that bench. It's down to an 8-man rotation and really 5 guys who produce.

I was looking at that title game against Vermont, and from the bench Stony Brook got 0 points, 1 rebound, and 3 assists. I know their starters carry the load, but what if there's foul trouble? What if someone is having an off-night? So, I'm even more confident in winning this game.

What if they have to chase 8 superior athletes for 40 minutes, which is exactly what they'll have to do. Inferior athletes will fail over time. I still think we're gonna have a dunk fest.

Sounds like he tore his ACL against Albany. I feel bad for the kid. It may have been his only chance to play in the dance.

Yep, ACL. He was one of their primary 3 shooters. The numbers they are giving in that article are not good for them. It's a wonder they even made the dance.

http://www.nycbuckets.com/2016/02/stony-brook-playoff-liabilities-exposed-at-worst-time/

Warney is very good once he gets his hands on the ball. But we have a combination of Lee, Skal, and Humphries that should be able to front him and deny the inlet.

ADVERTISEMENT