ADVERTISEMENT

Scott Drew is Calipari "Light"

IL Wildcat

Feb 20, 2003
Southern IL
I know this may not be a popular take, but this is what I've always thought about Scott Drew. He tries to do the same thing Calipari has done, he's just not as good at it. If he becomes our coach, I'll support him and hope that my impression of him is completely wrong. His overall record is worse than Cal's. His approach to team building has been very similar. He's had one title but most of his other seasons are much worse than UK fans will accept. Am I missing something? I'd love to hear it.

I know this may not be a popular take, but this is what I've always thought about Scott Drew. He tries to do the same thing Calipari has done, he's just not as good at it. If he becomes our coach, I'll support him and hope that my impression of him is completely wrong. His overall record is worse than Cal's. His approach to team building has been very similar. He's had one title but most of his other seasons are much worse than UK fans will accept. Am I missing something? I'd love to hear it.
He's won as many National Championships as Cal has. And he's been more successful more recently than Cal. And he did it at Baylor in Waco of all places and not at Kentucky with all our resources. So how is that Cal "light"? Posts like this really bother me. We're already trying to tear ourselves into factions before we even name a coach.

Last edited:
I just find it laughable people are thumbing their nose at a guy who won a title at BAYLOR. He would be our only former champion. Last time UK was this strong when hiring a new coach was with Tubby and we were thrilled because he had a sweet sixteen at Georgia. I mean the guy has the #3 recruiting class this year.

He can definitely beat Calipari one on one as a coach. I don't think it's debatable.
Scott Drew has beat him at Rupp with healthy nerlens dec 2013. Scott Drew has beat him in Texas dec 2013.
(Looked it up.surprising yea?)
Definitely you want to see a coach can build a team. Scott drew has proven that several times.
You want a coach that's had NBA players. Scott Drew has been getting nba players and has won recruiting battles versus Cow. Including this year

Last edited:
Drew is just less drama. 100 times the x&o coach. Very good.
Tremendous recruiter. Has a top 5 class this year and very good in the portal.. and that’s in Waco.

He’s just a quiet gentleman. Great pedigree stemming from his dad. Probably a nice change.
Proven D1 winner at a tough spot.

He's won as many National Championships as Cal has. And he's been more successful more recently than Cal. And he did it at Baylor in Waco of all places and at Kentucky with all our resources. So how is that Cal "light"? Posts like this really bother me. We're already trying to tear ourselves into factions before we even name a coach.
I have zero interest in dividing anyone into factions. That's definitely not my intent. I'm just giving my opinion, and that's genuinely what I've always thought about Scott Drew. Now, he has been more successful in the last 5 years than Calipari has, that is true. He hasn't been "Calipari Light" over the last 5 years, but that has always been how I viewed him. Just being honest. Maybe he would be a great choice, I don't know for sure. If he is the choice, I genuinely hope my view of him is proven wrong. And by the way, it's looking very likely to me that he will be the coach.

Reactions: Mr_GG and jrpross
Drew is just less drama. 100 times the x&o coach. Very good.
Tremendous recruiter. Has a top 5 class this year and very good in the portal.. and that’s in Waco.

He’s just a quiet gentleman. Great pedigree stemming from his dad. Probably a nice change.
Proven D1 winner at a tough spot.
Glad to hear this about the x's and o's my friend. And the less drama would be a great thing for UK fans who are exhausted from coach's drama.

This is spot on. He is a one netty coach and already has it. He a "safe" hire for MB to keep ky about where Cal has them in the sec rankings at a 3/4 spot. That gets Mitch to retirement before BBN goes ballistic again.

Whoever it is, I'll give them a chance. 2 years to show me they're building something, 3 years to give me an impressive result (FF or better). If it doesn't happen in year 3, it needs to in year 4, or they need to be gone. That should be the standard here.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
But a better coach!

Y'all remember the 2012 championship season?
We had to go through Baylor , scott drew, and Quincy Miller if I'm not mistaken. I do believe they were winning at one point early by 8 maybe even at halftime.
I believe that following year Scott Drew beat us at Rupp with Nerlens. Then we played them in Arlington Texas the next year and they beat us again.
Stopped playing them after that LOL.......
Scott's clearly capable of beating the Caliparian at coaching at Kentucky.
If you ever need any thing to make you ok with Scott drew as a coach then what I just wrote should do it.

Last edited:
Drew is the 2nd or 3rd best coach in college basketball the last 5 seasons (Hurley and arguably Self). He isn't a sexy hire because he is classy and composed. I would prefer Hurley and Oats but after that it's gotta be Drew or Pearl.

Him and Hurley are the only active coaches with titles that have a lot left in the tank age-wise.

He is also more accomplished now than Calipari was when Cal took the UK job.

He’s in f’n Waco Texas and he won a championship there.

That’s like ole miss winning a championship. The school has zero history before he got there…in fact it almost got shut down

Here's what you're missing:

He's at Baylor. People point out: Well, he has had a lot of double digit losses. Yeah, at Baylor. Well, he has a lot of 1st and 2nd round exits. Yep, at Baylor.

But he also won a national championship. At Baylor.

And I think we've grown accustomed to the idea that Baylor is GOOD. And it is. Because of Scott Drew. He took over the program after a murder scandle and multiple NCAA infractions.

So, we have to look at Drew's record through the Baylor lens, and not the Kentucky lens.

In the last 4 seasons, Scott Drew has a national championship. He made the 2nd round in each of the other 3 NCAA tournaments. He did that at Baylor. He does not have Kentucky level resources or support.

In the last 4 seasons, John Calipari was won 1 NCAA tournament game. He missed a tournament. He has made the round of 32 once. He has 2 1st round losses. He has no Sweet 16's, elite 8's, final 4's, or national championships. John Calipari actually DOES have Kentucky resources and support.

So, yeah, bring Drew to a blue blood, and I fully believe he kills it. But he won't get the same results he gets at Baylor--unless you just don't think Kentucky matters.

Last edited:
Whoever it is, I'll give them a chance. 2 years to show me they're building something, 3 years to give me an impressive result (FF or better). If it doesn't happen in year 3, it needs to in year 4, or they need to be gone. That should be the standard here.
Good thing for UConn their fans have lower standards. Dan Hurley was 73-47 with no tournament wins in his first four years at UConn.

I just find it laughable people are thumbing their nose at a guy who won a title at BAYLOR. He would be our only former champion. Last time UK was this strong when hiring a new coach was with Tubby and we were thrilled because he had a sweet sixteen at Georgia. I mean the guy has the #3 recruiting class this year.
Yep, I actually think he'd do well here. Not my top choice but I wouldn't be disappointed with him. He had Baylor in position during the COVID shut-down year as well and his 2022 team was de-railed by injuries. If we hired him and brought in his players, we would hit the ground running next year I think.

Reactions: TM2013
Good thing for UConn their fans have lower standards. Dan Hurley was 73-47 with no tournament wins in his first four years at UConn.
That was coming out of a situation of being in NCAA trouble.

The new guy here is following a position of supposed strength, at a historic blue-blood. Are we supposed to be cool with waiting 20 years for the next final four? That's what we've BEEN doing under Cal and guess what...it isn't ok. Not even close to ok.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
I don't see the similarities either.

I'm warming to Drew. It isn't sexy, but I think it's what this program needs. At least for a moment. Drew checks a lot of boxes, it's just not flashy. I'm getting ok with that.
I initially thought he should be 4-5 on the list but now I think he’s a top 3 option. We wouldn’t miss a beat in recruiting and he’s a better coach the 2024 Cal.

This is what upsets me about the board. How many blatantly ignored how awful Calipari was to this program. As he neglected it and took it into a nosedive, (no offense OP) they sat there and argued and belittled people who saw it miles away. OP has argued in favor of Wheeler starting, chastising everyone who argued it. Came at posters about Calipari and the ways he was hurting the program. They actually promoted the idea that Calipari is some good man when clearly he’s not. And they didn’t just argue it, they would get pretty nasty at people over it.

Now these same people who should have realized they don’t know as much as they thought are putting down candidates like Scott Drew when he would be a terrific hire. This is why I just assume stay off and post at others boards now.

OP is a good guy I’m not arguing that but I don’t believe he totally gets these things enough to constantly comment about it. I think the best course of action for many would be to wait it out and listen more.

Scott Drew is nothing like Calipari. Nothing.

He’s a better man, he’s one of the elite floor coaches in basketball (Calipari was one of the worst), he’s way better in roster building (he utilizes the portal correctly) he’s shown mad loyalty where Calipari has absolutely none, in what ways could you even begin to suggest these men are even close to the same? It’s nonsense that a few have floated and now we’re gonna run with it? No.

We would be very fortunate to have Drew. On top of what he’s better than Calipari at, like a better man in general, he can also recruit with Calipari toe to toe. But he doesn’t just throw darts at a top 25 list, he recruits based on fit and need. Like Calipari? Not in this world.

I’m not trying to be an ass to the OP I do think he’s a good one and a respectable admin here. But his opinions have been so far off (if you can’t see through Calipari then…) that I think a wait and listen approach would be best.

FWIW, I watched Baylor vs Texas. Baylor couldn't stay in front of Texas's guards. Scott Drew did something CRAZY.

He adjusted the defense. He actually went to something...I think he called it...zone? I don't know for sure. Never seen that done at UK.

Drew actually knows X's and O's of basketball.

HUGE difference, and one of the biggest things fans have been wanting for years.

Y'all remember the 2012 championship season?
We had to go through Baylor , scott drew, and Quincy Miller if I'm not mistaken. I do believe they were winning at one point early by 8 maybe even at halftime.
I believe that following year Scott Drew beat us at Rupp with Nerlens. Then we played them in Arlington Texas the next year and they beat us again.
Stopped playing them after that LOL.......
Scott's clearly capable of beating the Caliparian at coaching at Kentucky.
If you ever need any thing to make you ok with Scott drew as a coach then what I just wrote should do it.
And that's with Cow from 10 years ago. Our Middle School coach in Franklin county here can beat CCC now.

• Love
Reactions: lpkilla7
In no world do i see drew talking down to the fans which is already a huge plus. Hes a safe floor coach that i dont love and dont hate

Reactions: Cats192
Yep, there are similarities, they both have one title, and the last three years for both were meh at best. That said, one thing I do like is that he won't bring the emotional baggage we had with Cal, who's a paranoid narcissist. He won't be a bb coach who thinks he's a little emperor and who eventually alienates everybody. And he and Mitch get along. That wasn't the case with Cal. I really want Oats but if that isn't going to happen (and I cannot see Donovan or Hurley here) then I'll go along with Drew.

Yep, there are similarities, they both have one title, and the last three years for both were meh at best. That said, one thing I do like is that he won't bring the emotional baggage we had with Cal, who's a paranoid narcissist. He won't be a bb coach who thinks he's a little emperor and who eventually alienates everybody. And he and Mitch get along. That wasn't the case with Cal. I really want Oats but if that isn't going to happen (and I cannot see Donovan or Hurley here) then I'll go along with Drew.
I'm not even sure on Donovan. He's been away from college for so long and how much of his success was mainly tied to that one recruiting class (caught lightning in a bottle)? I still prefer Hurley or Oats. But, if we can't have those, I think Drew is my next pick and I think he'll do well here.

Im sure he's a good coach and a nice guy. I just don't want Mitch putting his man in that chair right before he leaves. Rick needs to offer to take the job as a Steward until we can get a real AD in here to make this decision. I've said it before and I'll say it again- if you're an agent there is NO ONE in sports you'd rather negotiate a contract with than Mitch. He cannot ink a long term deal with Scott Drew then ride off into oblivion.

Here's what you're missing:

He's at Baylor. People point out: Well, he has had a lot of double digit losses. Yeah, at Baylor. Well, he has a lot of 1st and 2nd round exits. Yep, at Baylor.

But he also won a national championship. At Baylor.

And I think we've grown accustomed to the idea that Baylor is GOOD. And it is. Because of Scott Drew. He took over the program after a murder scandle and multiple NCAA infractions.

So, we have to look at Drew's record through the Baylor lens, and not the Kentucky lens.

In the last 4 seasons, Scott Drew has a national championship. He made the 2nd round in each of the other 3 NCAA tournaments. He did that at Baylor. He does not have Kentucky level resources or support.

In the last 4 seasons, John Calipari was won 1 NCAA tournament game. He missed a tournament. He has made the round of 32 once. He has 2 1st round losses. He has no Sweet 16's, elite 8's, final 4's, or national championships. John Calipari actually DOES have Kentucky resources and support.

So, yeah, bring Drew to a blue blood, and I fully believe he kills it. But he won't get the same results he gets at Baylor--unless you just don't think Kentucky matters.
It seems like the same rhetoric with Billy Gillespie. “He’s winning at a Texas A&M, he’ll kill it at Kentucky”.
Drew is not the coach for UK, although I’m thinking he’s the one we get

Reactions: BigE_44
If it's Drew I'll support it but think this job is to big for him. He's a good Coach, and a good in game adjustments coach but UK is a different animal from Baylor.
Honestly I'd rather have Pearl. Whoever gets the job is looking at a 4 or 5 year contract anyway and Pearl would be that bridge. He would thrive here for that time. He has the charisma and is a good solid coach with a good style. I know we won't call him but it's a mistake not to.
Donovan is a home run hire but he isn't coming. Hurley is content at UConn. A swift and hard pass on Oats.
Who knows how this plays out, I just know I'm glad the Crapapari Era is done

The issue with Drew is the perception he's not the best option. It's as simple as that.

As long as Hurley/Donovan/Oats (despite what he said) are believed to be on the table, a lot of Kentucky fans are going to push back against Drew. It's not that hard to understand.

Way too long in today's NIL and portal environment.

Musselman went into Arkansas and had them competing in year 1 thanks to the portal. Bama has been tough nearly immediately after Oates started and embraced the portal.

The portal is where it's at. We need our new coach ASAP to get to work on his own staff and the top transfers in the portal. A good coach, the portal and a huge NIL stash should equate to an NCAAT bid in year 1, then a deep run in year 2.

Reactions: Catfan2226
In what way? Can you be more specific? I would think he's more anti-Cal than Cal-lite.

Edit: the only similarity I see is both are excellent recruiters.

It seems like the same rhetoric with Billy Gillespie. “He’s winning at a Texas A&M, he’ll kill it at Kentucky”.
Drew is not the coach for UK, although I’m thinking he’s the one we get
Except...they're nothing alike?

Scott Drew has a full blown championship at Baylor. I know Scott Drew can win a championship. Because he's done it. He has gone to the mountain top without Kentucky.

BCG win any championships before Kentucky? Nope. He had ONE Sweet 16.

BCG was also an alcoholic. To the best of my knowledge, Scott Drew is not.

So, you'll have to forgive me if I think the guy with an actual championship is more likely to succeed than the alcoholic with the same number of sweet 16 apperances.

Donovan - a huge risk being out of college coaching so long

Oats- strong offensive teams but very weak on defense.

Drew- strong on offense and defense. Recruits well both incoming freshmen and portal. With KY resources teams would be even stronger at UK as he could attract players here that he cannot there and he is attracting a lot of talent there. I worry about his personality here and the job chewing him up and spitting him out but if he can handle it, I think he does very well here.

Drew has a traditional practice methods.. normal big playbook offensively and defensively........ he's a great recruiter for being at baylor... i mean he beat Cal and also duke for Edgecomb right.

Yeah Donovan, Wright, Stevens and Hurley at this moment are the sexier picks coaching wise but those are grand slam hires....... Drew is still a home run hire though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT