ADVERTISEMENT

Scheyer: we’re going to continue recruiting talented freshmen

For whatever reason, Duke seems to have much more success getting freshmen who were ranked as "five stars" coming out of high school to return for another year or more of college. But I hope against hope that Duke starts winning every recruiting title, starts 3 or more freshmen every season, and gets basically a new roster every year instead of getting projected draft picks to regularly return.
Why do people keep pretending that it's some secret as to why other programs get to keep their talented freshman?

The Duke formula seems different enough from ours (in philosophy and in execution) that it’s hard to fault Scheyer for being hesitant to blow up his approach after his sophomore year coaching.

For whatever reason, Duke seems to have much more success getting freshmen who were ranked as "five stars" coming out of high school to return for another year or more of college. But I hope against hope that Duke starts winning every recruiting title, starts 3 or more freshmen every season, and gets basically a new roster every year instead of getting projected draft picks to regularly return.
Yep, it's not a problem so long as you have a good balance of returning players who can provide stability. And Duke usually has those experienced returnees because they don't push NBA to the point where guys feel like failures if they aren't on the draft board, so they just transfer. Duke's freshmen don't seem to have an NBA or bust mentality like our players. So, they stay, get older, and improve. Having talented freshmen as part of a good mix is fine.

But if the "meat and potatoes" of your team is ruled primarily by 18-19 year-olds, you'll struggle. When I say the meat and potatoes, I'm referring having experienced players providing scoring, rebounding, and defense. I can see it as plain as day right now- you must have a big man with strength, length, and defensive skills. You must have ball handlers and shooters with experience. You must have some experienced guys who know how to play defense. We found that out the hard way this season. We arguably had the most offensively talented team in the nation this season, but we lost because we couldn't get a stop against an NAIA guard or his midmajor teammates. You must-have defensive-minded players.

We could recruit some freshmen if we returned players and if we added some veterans through the portal. You just can't rely on those freshmen like they're guaranteed to pan out, because we all know they aren't always what they've been hyped to be.

Reactions: G-PIP and blubo
I dont care how talented your freshman are, with NIL and the portal now it is irrelevant. Freshman lead teams aren't going to get it done anymore. We will struggle next season. Duke will be hyped up, but they won't return anyone with a lot of experience like they did this season(Roach, Mitchell, Flopi, Young).

Honestly, let him have them. It's just too much of an uphill battle to make work. I'd rather go for the 20 to 50 range at this point, guys who probably have less if what the NBA wants, and keep them for a few years.

The elite freshman are broken today, IMO. They come in with far too much baggage, bad habits, and coddling in the AAU. They have to be reworked and retooled far too much to make it worth it for just one year. These aren't the same recruits as Wall and Cousins.
And target transfers like Thiero and Ugo. Guys transferring out after freshman or sophomore seasons. By doing that you increase your odds of getting 2, maybe 3, years of the matured product since they’ve used their free transfer already and most like the grad transfer year would be the next time they looked to leave.

Reactions: G-PIP and Fox2monk
You asked if “he liked them”?

What does that mean? Does he like the recruits? Like them how?

I’ll try and answer. Sure. I “like them”.

The points being made in this thread (you skirted over them) is that “top 10 pics” or “top 20 picks” obviously mean nothing when it comes to success. You can’t build a championship team every single year of random, brand new mid tier “draft picks” man. As evidenced by our current coach.

So, again, your insinuation proves false man. What has “liking” these “top 10” guys done for us the last 5 years?
Good grief. Ok. Are you glad we had Reed and rob? Did you appreciate their efforts? Did you enjoy watching them play for Kentucky? Would you like to keep getting kids like Reed and rob in the future or do you just prefer we stop recruiting McDonald’s all Americans?

I just want talented kids. We’ve won with them and we’ve lost with them. We are Kentucky and we should be a destination for talent. Do you honestly believe we failed in March because we were too young?

With 6 freshmen incoming our roster is completely out of whack. That only leaves room for about 5 spots for returnees and portal players.

Of the 6 freshmen how many will we retain to help build any continuity? Typically, they either get drafted or transfer out leaving UK with nothing to build upon.

Stop the freshmen overhaul approach. Target several elite prospects who fit the criteria for constructing the team you want. Cal is so enamored with recruiting classes he's placing that success above building a roster.
If you wanna tweak something start with roster construction or be brutally honest convincing these fringe NBA prospects to return.
Exactly, we can’t even target any portal options really because half the spots are already filled. If we do we won’t have any continuity. It’s dumb as hell.

Maybe Filipowski will return and play himself into free agency.

He was a likely lottery pick before last year’s tourney, a late first round pick before this year’s tourney, maybe a second rounder after being exposed by Burns and NC State.

If he comes back he could end up undrafted.
He, like most other players under Scheyer, hasn't developed.

Reactions: gharding07
We should continue to recruit elite freshman, just not 6-8 in one class.

2 or 3 at most and focus on either the truly elite #1 pick types (Flagg, Dybansta, etc) or guys like Burks or Perry who are closer to the 3-4 year types with high college upside. Then grab the best free agents out of the market, hopefully a few with 2-3 years left for continuity.

Actually think he's gotten a few very good players from the Portal. I liked Antonio Reeves a lot. Thought Nate Sestina was a nice fit to that '20 team. Grady was so-so,,,Mintz was vastly overrated IMO but many liked him.

My issue with Cal is that players become available in the Portal and he'll pass waiting for guys who we know are highly unlikely to come back or UK could get a better return if they took. It's as simple as "You look, We Look" in most of these cases. I mean if Reed Sheppard said he wanted to test things out but may return.....that's a lot different than Adou Thiero, DJ Wagner, Justin Edwards from where I stand.

Go get the best TEAM you can get and waiting meant UK passed on guys like Kel'el Ware, Dalton Knecht.......and at some point you have to do what is best for Kentucky's program.
Ware is the kid I wanted last year.

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
Duke historically hasn’t been pushing their top players to the NBA like CCC. I think that’s why they have been able to keep them at Duke for a second or even third season.

Reactions: gharding07
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT