ADVERTISEMENT

Scheyer: we’re going to continue recruiting talented freshmen

For whatever reason, Duke seems to have much more success getting freshmen who were ranked as "five stars" coming out of high school to return for another year or more of college. But I hope against hope that Duke starts winning every recruiting title, starts 3 or more freshmen every season, and gets basically a new roster every year instead of getting projected draft picks to regularly return.

Honestly, let him have them. It's just too much of an uphill battle to make work. I'd rather go for the 20 to 50 range at this point, guys who probably have less if what the NBA wants, and keep them for a few years.

The elite freshman are broken today, IMO. They come in with far too much baggage, bad habits, and coddling in the AAU. They have to be reworked and retooled far too much to make it worth it for just one year. These aren't the same recruits as Wall and Cousins.

Maybe Filipowski will return and play himself into free agency.

He was a likely lottery pick before last year’s tourney, a late first round pick before this year’s tourney, maybe a second rounder after being exposed by Burns and NC State.

If he comes back he could end up undrafted.

Honestly, let him have them. It's just too much of an uphill battle to make work. I'd rather go for the 20 to 50 range at this point, guys who probably have less if what the NBA wants, and keep them for a few years.

The elite freshman are broken today, IMO. They come in with far too much baggage, bad habits, and coddling in the AAU. They have to be reworked and retooled far too much to make it worth it for just one year. These aren't the same recruits as Wall and Cousins.
AAAAAAAAAA-men.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
To be fair, only 1 year left of extra Covid eligibility remaining- however, portal still remains…

That is a good point. I think freshman will work better once this covid year is done.

But still, not sure I want to keep going down the 1AD path, especially when we can get quality transfers , as you mention. A great coach at UK will be able to go fishing with dynamite in the transfer portal.

Not even close. They aren’t even Jamal Murray and Tyler Ulis level.

He was a likely lottery pick before last year’s tourney, a late first round pick before this year’s tourney, maybe a second rounder after being exposed by Burns and NC State.

I agree and that should be used against them in recruiting the best players. I don’t care if we go after 2-3 of the Flagg tier recruits but stocking up hoping that 6-7 of these freshman pan out isn’t working.

He ain't coming back, the big flopping idiot.

But if he does, let him. This isn't football, Duke can only play 5 guys at a time. If flip comes back they're losing someone.

You can't keep lying to players these days. If a 5 star recruit is now their 4th post player on the depth chart, they will transfer.

It’s even more risky as the poaching of any single decent player at any level becomes the norm. That’s gotta be a better than these unproven freshman.

For whatever reason, Duke seems to have much more success getting freshmen who were ranked as "five stars" coming out of high school to return for another year or more of college. But I hope against hope that Duke starts winning every recruiting title, starts 3 or more freshmen every season, and gets basically a new roster every year instead of getting projected draft picks to regularly return.
Damn good post . Perfect example is Jared McCain . If he played like that here this year it would be hard to imagine him returning . With Duke I could definitely see him returning

He says he’s going to continue to recruit freshmen. Doesn’t mean he’s going to build a team 100% around them. There’s a difference.
Absolutely. I believe it would be a big mistake to not recruit freshmen to build your core of future upperclassmen. Trying to start over with a brand-new roster of transfers every year - which I think would nevertheless give you a better chance to win than a starting unit full of 5-star freshmen every year - is also a recipe for failure. But I believe the key is really good scouting and evaluation of high school players, with an eye to developing AAs and All-Conf. players as upperclassmen. I think OAD freshmen are way overvalued by most; and could actually be considered "lazy" short-sighted recruiting.

Damn good post . Perfect example is Jared McCain . If he played like that here this year it would be hard to imagine him returning . With Duke I could definitely see him returning
Is it the culture Calipari built at UK? I think the idea that if you stay at UK for more than 1-year then you're somehow a failure is really a thing in some of these kids' minds. Or is there instead something about the Duke experience that makes their freshmen seem more eager to return? I don't know the answer, but I know the phenomenon frustrates us all.

Kid is as good as Dilly

Edit to say probably Reed as well altho I’d rather have Reed.

What’s the odds he will leave Duke. I’d say 99% he stays.

Last edited:
I agree and that should be used against them in recruiting the best players. I don’t care if we go after 2-3 of the Flagg tier recruits but stocking up hoping that 6-7 of these freshman pan out isn’t working.
With 6 freshmen incoming our roster is completely out of whack. That only leaves room for about 5 spots for returnees and portal players.

Of the 6 freshmen how many will we retain to help build any continuity? Typically, they either get drafted or transfer out leaving UK with nothing to build upon.

Stop the freshmen overhaul approach. Target several elite prospects who fit the criteria for constructing the team you want. Cal is so enamored with recruiting classes he's placing that success above building a roster.
If you wanna tweak something start with roster construction or be brutally honest convincing these fringe NBA prospects to return.

2nd round exit in his first year of being an head coach and elite 8 in his 2nd year, not bad. Duke fans should be thankful to have that prick as their coach, with that said they could be in the shape we’re in, stuck with a washed up, money hungry, ego maniac, marketing coach.

Last edited:
Tbf Duke is getting the top 1-3 guys much more consistently and those are the guys that are most likely to have the biggest impact in one year. Plus, as others have stated, those Dukies just keep coming back.

At least that’s how it seems to me. I don’t have recruiting rankings for each year on a second monitor while I type this. Sorry for my inadequacies ☹️

People talk about youth with out talking about talent. Not all OAD’s are equal, but the least valuable is the edge first / second rounder drafted on potential with out actually delivering value in college.

Cooper Flagg unfortunately is one of those who will likely deliver value out of the box. Edgecombe is one too. We’ve got some good guys coming in but understandably this is where UK fans get frustrated, I don’t think frustration would be as nearly high with it if we were talking Cousins, Wall, Davis, Gilchrist, Towns, Randle, etc etc. Stings a lot more if it’s a guy like Livingston

Kal doesn't like the portal because the players aren't sure bets to make the NBA. He likes to toot his own horn by how many players make it.

Reactions: blubo
People talk about youth with out talking about talent. Not all OAD’s are equal, but the least valuable is the edge first / second rounder drafted on potential with out actually delivering value in college.

Cooper Flagg unfortunately is one of those who will likely deliver value out of the box. Edgecombe is one too. We’ve got some good guys coming in but understandably this is where UK fans get frustrated, I don’t think frustration would be as nearly high with it if we were talking Cousins, Wall, Davis, Gilchrist, Towns, Randle, etc etc
Great take. Look how the fans embraced and wanted Rob and Reed to start. If you can play, they embrace you and want you to play. But you can't be playing because you have a guarantee from the Coach due to...???

Kal doesn't like the portal because the players aren't sure bets to make the NBA. He likes to toot his own horn by how many players make it.
Actually think he's gotten a few very good players from the Portal. I liked Antonio Reeves a lot. Thought Nate Sestina was a nice fit to that '20 team. Grady was so-so,,,Mintz was vastly overrated IMO but many liked him.

My issue with Cal is that players become available in the Portal and he'll pass waiting for guys who we know are highly unlikely to come back or UK could get a better return if they took. It's as simple as "You look, We Look" in most of these cases. I mean if Reed Sheppard said he wanted to test things out but may return.....that's a lot different than Adou Thiero, DJ Wagner, Justin Edwards from where I stand.

Go get the best TEAM you can get and waiting meant UK passed on guys like Kel'el Ware, Dalton Knecht.......and at some point you have to do what is best for Kentucky's program.

The guys rated 20-50 won't stay any longer than the top guys. They will go to the NBA prematurely, or transfer if their minutes were limited at UK.

Reactions: Jont0805
On numerous occasions this season I felt McCain was their Reed Sheppard.

To further that previous point look at TJ Power and Sean Stewart. They were both highly ranked prospects that went there knowing they would barely play this year. Of course they barely ended up playing this year…even after Mackenzie M ended up decommitting and going to Indiana. Players going so against their own self interests is crazy to see.

Spoiler alert: it’ll happen again this year

Reactions: shaudyshaud
For the fans here who think recruiting is all that matters... Maybe we should look at how teams with the top recruiting classes fared this season.

#1 Kentucky: You know the story here.

#2 Duke: No conference or tournament titles, lost in the Elite 8 after beating double digit seeded teams and a team that lost their all-american player

#3 USC: Finished 15-18 this season

#4 UConn: Favorites to repeat as National Champs. Only one freshman starts and he's the 5th leading scorer on the team.

#5 Michigan State: Finished 25-10 and 10-10 in the Big Ten. Lost in the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

#6 Louisville: LOL

#7 Iowa State: Great season for them 29-8 and reached the sweet sixteen. Only one freshmen sees minutes for the Cyclones.

#8 Ohio State: 22-14 and 9-11 in conference record. Got their coach fired.

#9 Kansas: Disappointing season for them. Only one freshman starts for them.

#10 Oklahoma State: 12-20 and 4-14 conference record. Their coach was fired.

Reactions: gharding07
2nd round exit in his first year of being an head coach and elite 8 in his 2nd year, not bad. Duke fans should be thankful to have that prick their coach, with that said they could be in the shape we’re in, stuck with a washed up, money hungry, ego, marketing coach.

Yeah. I hate to say it but Duke will continue to be really good. Probably a drop off from K but still.

Then you look at us. 🙁

Reactions: ukfan041
That’s not the question I asked

You asked if “he liked them”?

What does that mean? Does he like the recruits? Like them how?

I’ll try and answer. Sure. I “like them”.

The points being made in this thread (you skirted over them) is that “top 10 pics” or “top 20 picks” obviously mean nothing when it comes to success. You can’t build a championship team every single year of random, brand new mid tier “draft picks” man. As evidenced by our current coach.

So, again, your insinuation proves false man. What has “liking” these “top 10” guys done for us the last 5 years?

Reactions: CatPatrick13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT