ADVERTISEMENT

Scary

Agreed. Ashton gets it together and there is no reason why this team can win it all. He is the key. No one else out there scares me.

Meanwhile Quickly is playing with one of the higher IQs in the country. IQ is excellent for IQ. The guy has become a master at creating fouls out of thin air and is a Zen master at the line.

Plus I thought our guards did well today with driving and using the floater or kicking it out when it wasn't there especially in the 2nd half. Smart play by the 3.

Meanwhile Quickly is playing with one of the higher IQs in the country. IQ is excellent for IQ. The guy has become a master at creating fouls out of thin air and is a Zen master at the line.

Plus I thought our guards did well today with driving and using the floater or kicking it out when it wasn't there especially in the 2nd half. Smart play by the 3.
Good take on Quickly. He's a smart player. Combine that with his work ethic and I understand why he's a problem for every team in college. Getting him back for next season would be huge. Probably the most important addition UK could make.

Good take on Quickly. He's a smart player. Combine that with his work ethic and I understand why he's a problem for every team in college. Getting him back for next season would be huge. Probably the most important addition UK could make.
Agreed. But, can he really play PG? We’ve not really had that many chances to see how he can run the offense.

Agreed. But, can he really play PG? We’ve not really had that many chances to see how he can run the offense.
Honestly Cowtown, I don't know. I'm guessing you're like me and would say that he doesn't generally look the part of a PG. But, I'm putting confidence in his work ethic and think in the offseason he could get his handle tighter, etc. Plus, I think when you take the pressure off of Askew to not have to carry the weight of the starting PG duties, then that might allow Askew to play more freely and give a good productive 15 minutes or so at PG.

Regardless, however, if Quickley comes back he's playing. If that means Boston or Clarke have to come off the bench then that's what it will be. Neither of those guys are good enough as freshmen to put a Junior Quickley on the bench.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Honestly Cowtown, I don't know. I'm guessing you're like me and would say that he doesn't generally look the part of a PG. But, I'm putting confidence in his work ethic and think in the offseason he could get his handle tighter, etc. Plus, I think when you take the pressure off of Askew to not have to carry the weight of the starting PG duties, then that might allow Askew to play more freely and give a good productive 15 minutes or so at PG.

Regardless, however, if Quickley comes back he's playing. If that means Boston or Clarke have to come off the bench then that's what it will be. Neither of those guys are good enough as freshmen to put a Junior Quickley on the bench.

o_O

Top 5 players under Cal has been super nasty exception of one guy who didn't really play high school basketball.

o_O

Top 5 players under Cal has been super nasty exception of one guy who didn't really play high school basketball.
I'm sorry, I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. But, yes Calipari has gotten a lot of good freshmen who played well.

I hope you’re right. I agree that he most likely can improve his ball handling (probably drastically) with his great work ethic. I still am not sure about his distributing and decision making, though. Also, I wonder how his scoring ability gets affected with the ball in his hands as opposed to being off the ball.

You bring up an intriguing hypothetical scenario, saying one of Boston or Clarke would come off the bench, in the event that IQ returns. I’m curious as you which one would be better off the bench actually. I honestly think if IQ were to come back that IQ, Boston and Clarke would all three start, and one of those three would man the point.

I’m not sure which would be the best PG of those three, but I almost wanna lean with Clarke here. He seems to see the floor very well and has an excellent feel for the game. Cal will just have to experiment and figure out which combination works the best.

Reactions: G-PIP
If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

If this team could play smarter basketball, they would be scary good.
I like your enthusiasm but we just simply don't have the talent to be "scary" good. We've seen it before. We've flamed out short of the FF with a lot more talented teams than this one. Even on our best day we aren't making a FF this year, just don't have the horses. I wish I was wrong and hope I am.

Right now we still foul way too much. I do like how we fought through today's game and pulled away, though, on the road. I'm hoping this team keeps working, improving, and things start going to another level in March.

I like your enthusiasm but we just simply don't have the talent to be "scary" good. We've seen it before. We've flamed out short of the FF with a lot more talented teams than this one. Even on our best day we aren't making a FF this year, just don't have the horses. I wish I was wrong and hope I am.
Meh no shot? I’m not so sure about that. This isn’t the most talented UK team, but we definitely have a shot. Just on guard play and great FT shooting alone, we have a shot. Also have a top five center nationally. If the bench produces like today, I would say we have a damn good shot. Not to mention, college ball is really down this year.

We know Coach Cal has discussed this with Hagans especially in the USC game when we had the 3 minute stretch that with 11 minutes to go we were leading 54-41. Hagans then has 3 turnovers and our lead goes from 54-41 to 54-50 and USC went on to beat UK. We have nights that we should not had lost or we should had won by 16-20 points if it wasn't for the turnovers. If you look at Hagans stats since the SEC league started it seems like every game Hagans will have 5-7 turnovers. We have to cut down on these turnovers or it will be like last year in the Elite 8 loss to Auburn when Hagans had 8 turnovers. If we can get Hagans to cut down to 1 or 2 turnovers a game and start playing smart this team could be scary GOOD! If you look at the losses and close wins we would have won 2 or 3 more games and games that we have won could have been by 16-20 if it wasn't for the Turnovers. WE can make that deep run in the Tourney if we play smart and cut down on turnovers.

Odd thing to me is Hagans and Maxey seem to make the dumbest decisions when we have the chance to turn a 10-12 pt lead into a 16-20. I know our guys aren’t throwing games for point spreads, but sometimes the timing, frequency and dumbness of their decisions just makes one scratch heads.

Reactions: KyFaninNC and ck-2
Ok I will put it back on you, who are the super teams out there? I don’t see it. Every team I’ve seen this year has warts.
I don't see any either. I'd guess the Zags and Baylor have the best teams and I'm not terrified of either. However, some team will get hot and make a deep run or win it that we may not be thinking of and I just don't think that team will be the Cats. I think you need a guy who can just go get points and we don't have one, (Maxey?) nah. We also need a down right dirty dog to mix it up and the things not on the score sheet, ala Gilchrist and I don't see one of those either. A great rim protector would be nice, (Richards?) nah he often caves to physical play and gets in foul trouble.

lol , what the heck was Hagans doing passing the ball to Maxey while Maxey over talking to a cal ? It's stuff like that that drives me crazy .
That happens to every player that has played enough organized basketball. Just a brain fart.....

That happens to every player that has played enough organized basketball. Just a brain fart.....
He has a lot of those . It wasn't a fast break situation , Hagans is the point guard , the point guard is usually who the team looks to get the ball and bring it up the floor , he wasn't even being guarded . There was no reason to give the ball up to ANYBODY in that situation . Mind boggling .

Last edited:
I don't see any either. I'd guess the Zags and Baylor have the best teams and I'm not terrified of either. However, some team will get hot and make a deep run or win it that we may not be thinking of and I just don't think that team will be the Cats. I think you need a guy who can just go get points and we don't have one, (Maxey?) nah. We also need a down right dirty dog to mix it up and the things not on the score sheet, ala Gilchrist and I don't see one of those either. A great rim protector would be nice, (Richards?) nah he often caves to physical play and gets in foul trouble.
We'll see. NCAA is about match-ups. Only one teams set of fans will be happy after April 6th, hopefully it will be our fanbase. Keep your fingers crossed!

Reactions: DeerTurkHunter1
Kentucky has some of the best first shot defense in the country. Unfortunately, they are completely terrible at finishing it off with a defensive rebound. If that gets cleaned up, we have a chance. As it is, the sum of the defense is pretty poor for a team that wants to contend.

Seriously, at this point teams only really score against Kentucky on second attempts and at the free throw line. It must drive Cal crazy since most of his good teams have been built around offensive rebounding and getting to the line. Now other teams are doing that to him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT