ADVERTISEMENT

Vanderbilt @ Kentucky Game #2

Old_Red

All-American
Jun 7, 2001
13-7 in the bottom of the 6th. Ben Cleaver served up some fatter pitches and gave up 3 in the top of the 6th.

Strike zone by the ump is getting big again in the late innings. Calling high strikes a=on Waldschmidt.

Waldschmidt got HBP's and Pitre, Lopez, and Daly walked to score one more forcing another pitching change in the bottom of the 6th. Really working Vandy pitching this weekend.

Nicholson gets an RBI by getting HBP'd. Really wonder about Vandy's mindset. 15-7. McCarthy squares up a two out single to make it 17-7.

McCoy gets plunked to load the bases again. Grant Smith gets the opening and closing outs that inning.

Byers comes in in the bottom of the 7th and gives up another leadoff double. Strikes out one and walks two batters 7, 8, and 9. Then strikes out Vastine on 3 pitches and strikes out Diaz on 4 pitches to seal the game.

Reactions: dtjr
OK, was this a 7-innings game to begin with or is there a 10 runs rule? Thanks.

So did they make all the kids that were behind home plate go away? They were really messing with Vandy’s pitching in those early innings 🤣

• Love
Reactions: blubo
So did they make all the kids that were behind home plate go away? They were really messing with Vandy’s pitching in those early innings 🤣

Those kids were having a blast, but I think a couple went home early.

Watched the game in a Soorts Bar, and folks got into it!

We might just be developing a top-o-the-line SEC programs across the board!

Reactions: blubo and bluecoon1
HUGE!!!!

Now let's sweep this series and keep the Vols from getting a share of the SEC Title!!!
If for some terrible reason the stars don’t align today and we share the title with UT, does that mean they’ll get the 1-seed in the SEC tourney? I would assume it is based on the series we lost but not 100% sure. Anyhow, take care of business and it’s not a problem.

If for some terrible reason the stars don’t align today and we share the title with UT, does that mean they’ll get the 1-seed in the SEC tourney? I would assume it is based on the series we lost but not 100% sure. Anyhow, take care of business and it’s not a problem.
Yes, they would have the 1 seed based on head to head series win. Let's get this sweep today.

Reactions: bluecoon1
I was at the game, here are some notes:

-The kids in the front row stole the show, we were laughing our asses off at their antics.
-Disappointing crowds this weekend (not bad, but far lighter than what I thought we would get for a series that wins us the SEC title). I know the weather has not been great, but jeez.
-I love to see us pummel vandy. they have rubbed our noses in it a few times over the last 15 years, so it's great to run rule them.
-I hate that UT won, as I wanted a stress free saturday, but let's win this game today and clinch the 1 seed.
-Waldy is on fire. I also liked what I saw from Pitre, Lopez, Nicholson, and Mccarthy at the plate. Conversely, McCoy strikes out swinging more than any player I can remember, and Grant Smith is way off since returning from injury. Also, Devon Burkes has not had a great year at the plate but I'm hoping he turns it on now that we're entering crunch time.
-Our pitching is a real concern. I feel good about Pooser and Moore, but Niman is a ticking time bomb as our middle starter. Our bullpen seems to usually get the job done, but we don't have any dominant arms that you can count on to just come in and get 3 outs. The only team that I've seen that is clearly better than UK is UT. Otherwise, we're right there with every other team...but matchups matter in tourney play, and I'm hoping ours are favorable so that we can get to Omaha.

Thee weather was perfect Saturday. The baseball wasn't though. It did seem like the Cats had a big let down in effort after clinching the night before.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT