ADVERTISEMENT

Only reason not to fire

Dec 22, 2013
Cal is if you don't have a solid replacement.
His body of work for the past 7 years is very very poor. But I really really hope Mitch did his homework if that's what he ends up doing.

The idea of anyone is better then cal will not work! If your not careful you will not be able to fire the one you hire for 5-6 years!

So Mitch better get this next hire right if he decides to let cal go. Sometimes it might be best to wait a year and make sure your candidate for the job is what you think he is!

This next hiring is scary with Mitch at the helm, whether it's this year or later!

Nope, there’s another reason and i think it’ll get mixed reacts on here…Cal knows all the dirt on the program. Look, I’m not saying UK is downright dirty like Kansas’s or anything, but there’s almost certainly plenty of grimy behind the scenes stuff that we like to bury our heads about and Cal will know every bit of it.

• Haha
Reactions: JwUKFan11
Nope, there’s another reason and i think it’ll get mixed reacts on here…Cal knows all the dirt on the program. Look, I’m not saying UK is downright dirty like Kansas’s or anything, but there’s almost certainly plenty of grimy behind the scenes stuff that we like to bury our heads about and Cal will know every bit of it.
I don't see how that helps Cal. He would certainly be deeply entrenched in the hypothetical. He's already in emergency legacy survival mode.

Huh??? LoL

His body of work for the past 7 years is very very poor. But I really really hope Mitch did his homework if that's what he ends up doing.

The idea of anyone is better then cal will not work! If your not careful you will not be able to fire the one you hire for 5-6 years!

So Mitch better get this next hire right if he decides to let cal go. Sometimes it might be best to wait a year and make sure your candidate for the job is what you think he is!

This next hiring is scary with Mitch at the helm, whether it's this year or later!
If it’s a really bad hire, he’ll be replaced quickly like Gillespie was. No more lifetime contracts.

Reactions: ChicagoCat1990
I’m sure Mitch is ahead of the game and making some calls.

200w.gif

If you’re the AD of a so-called blueblood program (we haven’t been in near a decade, if we’re keeping count), you have a list that you feel confident would jump at the opening. You aren’t flying blindly when the time comes. Keeping a guy because we are afraid we can’t do better is saying this program isn’t desired like we think. I hope that isn’t the thinking or the case.

Even if we hired a Billy G like hire it still has its benefits. As long as the contract isn't ridiculous, you can fire that guy quickly without anyone being to upset about it. It's also easier for the next guy to replace a train wreck vs a polarizing figure like Cal.

Reactions: TM2013

So what’s going to change between now and next year if he’s fired then? Same coaches will be available lol 😂….. gotta start somewhere

Reactions: TM2013
Fans don’t care about
Honestly who could we get better then cal, lose cal no more 5 star recruits. Our fans are spoiled, now I blame cal for that.
Fans don’t care about recruits anymore and any good coach can come in here and build an experienced team from the portal. Stop acting like replacing Cal is impossible

If it’s a really bad hire, he’ll be replaced quickly like Gillespie was. No more lifetime contracts.
That actually won't happen. Buyout money isn't infinite. If we're paying Cal's buyout we won't be able to afford paying Cal's buyout, the next coach's buyout, plus the salary of a third coach. It's literally who Mike Woodson is coming back next year, Indiana is paying too many buyouts right now to afford his too.

That actually won't happen. Buyout money isn't infinite. If we're paying Cal's buyout we won't be able to afford paying Cal's buyout, the next coach's buyout, plus the salary of a third coach. It's literally who Mike Woodson is coming back next year, Indiana is paying too many buyouts right now to afford his too.
That’s why you don’t give your next coach a $33 million buyout lol 😂 I mean it’s that simple……

Reactions: westerncat
If you’re the AD of a so-called blueblood program (we haven’t been in near a decade, if we’re keeping count), you have a list that you feel confident would jump at the opening. You aren’t flying blindly when the time comes. Keeping a guy because we are afraid we can’t do better is saying this program isn’t desired like we think. I hope that isn’t the thinking or the case.
Things change from year to year. A candidate that might have been available last year might not be interested a year later. Having signed a big contract with a big buyout,or he might have won a championship like (Hurley) and now be off the table due to not being interested ECT!

SO the pool of candidates might be a lot less attractive now then in the past, or maybe Golden wins big next year and would pop on your radar where this year he isn't a candidate.

Many different scenarios.

That’s why you don’t give your next coach a $33 million buyout lol 😂 I mean it’s that simple……
Well sure, but it's happened now. No one can go back in time and fix it, so you gotta live with the reality of the situation. It will handicap how quickly we have the ability to fire the next coach if needed. That's the reality.

Calapri is not perfect, made some coaching mistakes. But he has had some excellent teams, this years team was very overrated, could not guard fence post I think he needs one more year, really think he will get couple kids to come back , will have loaded class, look for him to bring in couple stud big men from Portal. Just sucks having get new coach , will probably suck next year.

Keeping Cal another year is even scarier for the future of the program.

Calapri is not perfect, made some coaching mistakes. But he has had some excellent teams, this years team was very overrated, could not guard fence post I think he needs one more year, really think he will get couple kids to come back , will have loaded class, look for him to bring in couple stud big men from Portal. Just sucks having get new coach , will probably suck next year.
"This year's team was overrated "
What the about the past 5 years?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT