ADVERTISEMENT

Romeo Langford's Attitude

Depends on what you view as a "disaster"? I was critical of Cal/Staff's coaching in the event because he went away from what worked with the personnel, but as far as recruiting, it may have saved time/headaches. Word was the '18 class was one UK staff wasn't "in" with a lot of guys which played out that way if you judge by the top rated guys. Reddish was always going to Duke and Cal made a run at it. He got to know Bol, King, Langford, and their families and what they were about. I loved King as a player and thought he was ideal fit for UK. Cats never got involved hard at all and it wasn't waiting for anyone to commit. Something was up with this and I'll say the Team Final/ASM thing may have had something to do with it.

Bol's talent but never know which version of him is going to show up. Pain in the ass surrounding people.

Langford story made it sound like Dad being meddlesome was enough to sever the recruiting of the player. Didn't sound like the kid was saying anything bad about Cal or UK--in fact he's mentioned in article as saying he liked Cal and wanted to be recruited by him. I'll say this--you can't say you have back spasms and then complain about a lack of playing time. And Langford only looked to score when he was in games, never played team ball.

One thing I've learned is when Cal/UK pass on a guy that seems to want UK......there is always a reason and they usually have avoided disaster: Quincy Miller, Billy Preston, Carlton Bragg, and the big kid from Miami formerly known as Zach Brown and believe he's now a Transgender or going by a woman's name (not a joke).

and the big kid from Miami formerly known as Zach Brown and believe he's now a Transgender or going by a woman's name (not a joke).
The St. John's kid? I think he/she is in jail right now. Was arrested for a bench warrant after him and his brother robbed a Walgreen's and they didn't go to court. What a shame.

Wrong as usual.

Hmm, well you clearly know. I guess I always thought burning bridges in the recruiting world was a bad idea. I guess that if you don't like a recruit or a family, then there's zero chance that they will be in the picture for future recruits. Good to know.

Hmm, well you clearly know. I guess I always thought burning bridges in the recruiting world was a bad idea. I guess that if you don't like a recruit or a family, then there's zero chance that they will be in the picture for future recruits. Good to know.
That Cal didn't call back is the dad's version, not Cal's. Maybe a staff member called in Cal's place and that pissed daddy off. Who knows? All I know is Cal is pretty good at bringing in good kids who are coachable, make good teammates, and go on to become good citizens. As Cal says, UK isn't for everyone.

Reactions: Cindog28
His dad is certainly “one of those parents”, but he clearly didn’t agree with his dad and told him to cool it with the Cal stuff, so not sure how you come away from that article thinking the kid is the problem.

Too many parents want to jump in and “handle” everything about these kids’ lives. Dad says he wants to support his son’s decision, well he needs to shut up then.

Now that the story is out, it seems the kid and his father are an issue.

It is interesting that Indiana and Louisville really wanted him bad and were begging for him to play there, yet Duke and Kentucky have both cooled off as leaders.

I think he's a great player/talent, but it seems like he has to be the star and get the most shots. And if he is not happy, his father and him will let everyone know about it at some point.

I mean why call out Calipari if he wasn't butt-hurt about Cal cutting off his recruitment. It seems that they wanted UK to roll out the carpet because we are the school that offers all the top players...especially for a kid as close to Lex as Romeo. He wanted to say "yeah he stopped recruiting us, but its because he didn't know what he was doing and we did not like him anyways"

I could see why Vandy is an option because he will get the most shots and there will be less scrutiny on him as a player and he will be the star.

I think down the line, we will hear what happened with this 2018 class of recruits and why none of the top guys came here. I think we will see that their attitudes and star power just did not click with Cal.

I don't think that it was a coincidence that Cal's interest cooled, right after the USA debacle. I think he had a healthy dose of Romeo and his dad.

Sounds like the dad didn't like Cal or UK so that was his way of taking UK .out of the picture.
More like not kissing Mr langford .arse. good riddance. Hope he goes to Vandy so we can spank them maybe up to three times next yr

"Tim admits his list included North Carolina. But Romeo pointed to something, which Tim didn't disclose, that he didn't like when he watched coach Roy Williams run his Tar Heels through practice.

"He said, 'Dad, I'm not sure about that and me fitting in with this happening,'" Tim said. "That's how zoned-in he is as far as each school, and he's very knowledgeable of these coaches."

[eyeroll]

I took note of these remarks also. Seems like this kid feels he knows more than the coaches and is judging them all. I'm not a Roy fan but this kid is making negative remarks about two hall of fame coaches that I would think know a little more about the game than him at this point. Many are ripping the dad, and fir good reason, but the kid has issues too. He may be very talented but I'm glad Cal passed on him.

Reactions: JC43 and Cindog28
My take on the article was more about issues with his father and whom the father likes. The entire under 19 tournament ended up being a negative for several players. I think you can question Cal's in-game adjustments, that's fair. But, Cal also teaches doing what is best as a teammate versus being a "me-first" player. Some of these fathers see dollar signs through their kids though and thus seek the program where their kid will be the one superstar. Is that always the best decision? I think most here would say no.

https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...-prepping-bring-home-gold-and-more/458486001/

"I felt like I could’ve played more minutes in that game, but they didn’t want to put too much on me in my first game back and I understood that.

Coach Calipari said he’d been waiting for me to play like that for a while.

I would say that my back is at about 75 percent right now.

I’m doing a lot of stretching, heating and doing different muscle stimulants. I’m doing everything that I can to get back to 100 percent."

http://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ng-pyramids-egypt-coach-cals-style/450032001/

"I haven’t been playing because my lower back started acting up again. It’s bothered me in the past with spasms and things like that. I got to play today against Italy and hopefully I’ll be able to play in the rest of the games.

It was frustrating not to be able to play. I hate watching when I’m supposed to be playing. I’ve just been focusing on stretching my back with the trainers and trying to get back healthy.

Of course everyone knows that Coach (John) Calipari is our coach on the U19 team and it’s been a great experience having him as a coach at this level. He’s one of the coaches that’s been recruiting me so it’s good to have this opportunity to see how he does things.

He really harps on guys playing hard. He doesn’t even care about mistakes, he just wants your effort. So that’s cool."

[laughing]

No mention of back spasms during the latest article. Hmmmm.

You guys view of Romeo's character goes against the view of hundreds of coaches who coached or coached against Romeo. Cal blew this recruitement during the home visit. Mr. Langford was kind and not discuss the conversation between them.

Reactions: russelltodd
You guys view of Romeo's character goes against the view of hundreds of coaches who coached or coached against Romeo. Cal blew this recruitement during the home visit. Mr. Langford was kind and not discuss the conversation between them.
I respectfully disagree. Cal has said coming to UK is not for everyone and you certainly don't want every talented player if they're not a good fit for the program.

So Cal blew this one on an in home visit? I guess Mr. Langford wasn’t aware of that when he called Cal to start recruiting his son again. Thanks for the info.

Making threats on a message board, how tough your really are. lol Don't get your britches in a wad, because Cal made statements in a home visit that cost him the best shooting guard in the class of 2018.
So you are in on the situation...or go to his high school.

Because that article from his FATHERS WORDS say that they did not like the Team USA, unless you are saying his dad is a liar.

Best shooting guard? RJ Barrett is going to Duke bro. Romeo ain't Barrett.

Your 7 post history is just anti-UK stuff, you're an Indiana fan. Go get your popcorn boxes for buzzer beaters and Sweet 16 appearances!

So you are in on the situation...or go to his high school.

Because that article from his FATHERS WORDS say that they did not like the Team USA, unless you are saying his dad is a liar.

Best shooting guard? RJ Barrett is going to Duke bro. Romeo ain't Barrett.

Your 7 post history is just anti-UK stuff, you're an Indiana fan. Go get your popcorn boxes for buzzer beaters and Sweet 16 appearances!

The Team USA trip was part of the conversation they had, but there was a disagreement between the two men. Coach Cal blew it. It is as simple as that. Romeo will be a NBA all-star wherever he goes to college. Barrett is a great player, but so is Romeo.

The Team USA trip was part of the conversation they had, but there was a disagreement between the two men. Coach Cal blew it. It is as simple as that. Romeo will be a future NBA all-star wherever he goes to college. Barrett is a great player, but so is Romeo.
Cal didn’t blow anything. He didn’t want Romeo and for good reason. You can spin it anyway you want.

The Team USA trip was part of the conversation they had, but there was a disagreement between the two men. Coach Cal blew it. It is as simple as that. Romeo will be a NBA all-star wherever he goes to college. Barrett is a great player, but so is Romeo.
Blew what?

Romeo's dad said Cal stopped answering the phone, sounds like someone did not want him.

We will probably have Quade Green, Immanuel Quickley, Jermarl Baker, Tyler Herro, Keldon Johnson, and maybe Ashton Hagans next year in the backcourt. He did not BLOW anything, guard is not where we are lacking players next season.

If IU loses him, they will be blowing it because they need him more than anything.

Doubtful if anyone on this board will really know what happened. A recruits father talking doesn't make his word the gospel. But, by the same token, to say Cal hasn't screwed up in a recruitment process at some point is just being silly.
Langford's dad comes off as a bit butt hurt but, to say Cal does nothing wrong isn't believable either.

Blew what?

Romeo's dad said Cal stopped answering the phone, sounds like someone did not want him.

We will probably have Quade Green, Immanuel Quickley, Jermarl Baker, Tyler Herro, Keldon Johnson, and maybe Ashton Hagans next year in the backcourt. He did not BLOW anything, guard is not where we are lacking players next season.

If IU loses him, they will be blowing it because they need him more than anything.

Romeo would start over anyone of them and would be featured more than Knox if he would come back. If Cal does not want the best guard in the 2018 class and maybe in the country who has shown high charcater on and off the court then that says more about Cal's judgement than anything else.

romeo is a great kid. is his dad too involved in his recruitment? maybe. is that a bad thing? Cal promised one thing and failed to deliver, not the end of the world.

FWIW, before today, I'd heard only great things about Langford, both as a player and a kid. This news today has been quite a change in direction.

Reactions: DJtheJayhawk
This is why regardless of how talented they are, Cal's teams always seem to have chemistry and rarely have any "team turmoil" type moments. That chemistry is vital come March.
I criticize Cal on the OAD NBA culture but im only being honest. So when he does stuff great i have to commend him. Your statement is 100% True, Cal creates, promotes damn good Chemistry all things considered with how young we are every year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT