ADVERTISEMENT

Romeo Langford's Attitude

HoptownCat93

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2015
Now that the story is out, it seems the kid and his father are an issue.

It is interesting that Indiana and Louisville really wanted him bad and were begging for him to play there, yet Duke and Kentucky have both cooled off as leaders.

I think he's a great player/talent, but it seems like he has to be the star and get the most shots. And if he is not happy, his father and him will let everyone know about it at some point.

I mean why call out Calipari if he wasn't butt-hurt about Cal cutting off his recruitment. It seems that they wanted UK to roll out the carpet because we are the school that offers all the top players...especially for a kid as close to Lex as Romeo. He wanted to say "yeah he stopped recruiting us, but its because he didn't know what he was doing and we did not like him anyways"

I could see why Vandy is an option because he will get the most shots and there will be less scrutiny on him as a player and he will be the star.

I think down the line, we will hear what happened with this 2018 class of recruits and why none of the top guys came here. I think we will see that their attitudes and star power just did not click with Cal.

Last edited:
wasn't there another player that cooled on Cal after his USA playing experience? He was cut from the team?

This is why regardless of how talented they are, Cal's teams always seem to have chemistry and rarely have any "team turmoil" type moments. That chemistry is vital come March.
I think you've seen him adjust his strategy over the years to try and perfect his craft.

I think at first he needed to get any player he could to "win now" and change the dynamic of the team. He took a risk on a Boogie or Bledsoe.

But after that, you've seen more kids like Brandon Knight and the Harrison Twins. You see kids who are elite, but don't have the "ME ME ME" type of attitude. Because he can get just about anyone he wants, he can be picky.

wasn't there another player that cooled on Cal after his USA playing experience? He was cut from the team?
I think coaching the U19 team did more damage to Cal than anything else has done since he has been here.I think that was the plan all along by the powers that be who offered him the job.He took it and it didn't work out but if he had declined he would have been crucified in the media.

I think coaching the U19 team did more damage to Cal than anything else has done since he has been here.I think that was the plan all along by the powers that be who offered him the job.He took it and it didn't work out but if he had declined he would have been crucified in the media.
I agree, that whole thing was a disaster from the time they started selecting the team. Don't forget that a lot of the top eligible players didn't go because of the issues in Egypt as well.

Reactions: Dirk2Bowie
I think you've seen him adjust his strategy over the years to try and perfect his craft.

I think at first he needed to get any player he could to "win now" and change the dynamic of the team. He took a risk on a Boogie or Bledsoe.

But after that, you've seen more kids like Brandon Knight and the Harrison Twins. You see kids who are elite, but don't have the "ME ME ME" type of attitude. Because he can get just about anyone he wants, he can be picky.
Didn't think Boogie or Bledsoe had the Me attitude?

Didn't think Boogie or Bledsoe had the Me attitude?
No, but there were issues with maturity and red flags with Bledsoe's eligibility. I think Boogie would be here if he was in high school now, but I don't think Bledsoe would get a call if he was in the C/O 2018.

I agree, that whole thing was a disaster from the time they started selecting the team. Don't forget that a lot of the top eligible players didn't go because of the issues in Egypt as well.
They knew that was part of the deal as well,hell if Cal had got killed off there it would have been fine with many in the NCAA and other places.I don't think we really understand the level of dislike much of the basketball world has of Cal

Now that the story is out, it seems the kid and his father are an issue.

It is interesting that Indiana and Louisville really wanted him bad and were begging for him to play there, yet Duke and Kentucky have both cooled off as leaders.

I think he's a great player/talent, but it seems like he has to be the star and get the most shots. And if he is not happy, his father and him will let everyone know about it at some point.

I mean why call out Calipari if he wasn't butt-hurt about Cal cutting off his recruitment. It seems that they wanted UK to roll out the carpet because we are the school that offers all the top players...especially for a kid as close to Lex as Romeo. He wanted to say "yeah he stopped recruiting us, but its because he didn't know what he was doing and we did not like him anyways"

I could see why Vandy is an option because he will get the most shots and there will be less scrutiny on him as a player and he will be the star.

I think down the line, we will hear what happened with this 2018 class of recruits and why none of the top guys came here. I think we will see that their attitudes and star power just did not click with Cal.
Adidas kid. I'd say what he has presented is really more about Adidas than anything else.

Umm...

Hamidou-Diallo-STACK.png

The bait to take it was his desire for Reddish. But heck...Reddish, who had not yet verbally committed was all but already Duke's.

No, but there were issues with maturity and red flags with Bledsoe's eligibility. I think Boogie would be here if he was in high school now, but I don't think Bledsoe would get a call if he was in the C/O 2018.
I always figured his comments after that season were specific to Cousins. Cousins loved being at Kentucky though.

Article please?
https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...tball-john-calipari-unc-recruiting/468987002/

Romeo Langford entered the timeout huddle, his team down big, and the impression he got was that his coach wasn’t in control.

This was during a tournament last summer, and Langford, one of the nation’s top recruits, was playing for the USA's under-19 squad.

His coach was Kentucky's John Calipari.

Romeo later told his father, Tim Langford, that Calipari "couldn't adapt to what was going on against Canada," Tim said.

What happened in the weeks following the United States' bronze-medal showing at the FIBA World Cup continued the progression of Romeo's young career, empowering him to adequately deal with the ups and downs of a high-profile recruitment including major colleges like Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina and others.

The United States lost 99-87 to Canada in July, the first time since 2011 Team USA didn't win gold. Langford appeared in only five of eight games and averaged a team-low 5.8 minutes.

Tim moved to defend his son in a phone call to Calipari.

Tim said Calipari, who selected Romeo to play for his U-19 Team USA at the World Cup in Egypt, told the Langford family months earlier in their New Albany, Indiana, home he couldn't wait to coach their son, both internationally and potentially at Kentucky.

But Romeo, the 6-foot-5, five-star shooting guard considered the No. 5 overall senior in the country, played only eight minutes in the opening game and back spasms limited his availability the rest of the event.

Tim said he didn't like what he saw. He didn't see what Calipari said was going to happen.

"I just told him, 'You came in our house, said you couldn't wait to coach our son and do this and that. You had the opportunity before his back started bothering him. I didn't appreciate it because you said you wanted to coach him and you had the chance to do it.'"

Romeo cooled the situation.

He told his dad, despite what he saw in the huddle against Canada, he liked Calipari and wanted to keep Kentucky in the running for where he might play college ball. So Tim called Calipari again, asked to set up a visit in the fall and waited for the word.

"I don't have to play the game," Tim said. "Romeo does."

Calipari never called back.

And with that, Kentucky ended its courtship of Romeo. Though Romeo and his father briefly differed about Calipari, the hierarchy for decisions during Romeo's recruitment was established.

Reactions: jrpross
"Tim admits his list included North Carolina. But Romeo pointed to something, which Tim didn't disclose, that he didn't like when he watched coach Roy Williams run his Tar Heels through practice.

"He said, 'Dad, I'm not sure about that and me fitting in with this happening,'" Tim said. "That's how zoned-in he is as far as each school, and he's very knowledgeable of these coaches."

[eyeroll]

Don't want to put too much into a single article. But taking it at face value, I don't think it makes Romeo look bad - if you want to look at the interaction between the Dad and Cal and say someone comes off looking poor, it's the Dad. But even that, who knows, it's just one thing. Maybe he and Cal simply didn't hit it off. It happens......

The game against Canada was a disaster, but Reddish played awful as did Diallo and Washington couldn't hit a free throw. I don't think there was really much any coach could have done that game other than double Barrett every time he touched it and he still may have scored he was so hot.
I think Cal was also frustrated with Langford not playing, who knew how bad the kid was really hurt, but that was clearly an issue the whole tourny.

As you can tell... the part of the story where Cal stopped recruiting Langford because he lied about the severity of his back spasms was omitted by papa there.

and by the way........ im sure the powers of team USA back K much more than Cal.......... to think they designed this all to screw Cal is absurd... Cal's stubbornness and refusal to change defense against Barrett and Canada and his laid back be the players friends to get recruits coaching during the summer tournament is what hurt... not some master team usa / K plan.

Im not just bashing Cal.......... he's a great coach but like all coaches... he has his faults at times....

https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...-prepping-bring-home-gold-and-more/458486001/

"I felt like I could’ve played more minutes in that game, but they didn’t want to put too much on me in my first game back and I understood that.

Coach Calipari said he’d been waiting for me to play like that for a while.

I would say that my back is at about 75 percent right now.

I’m doing a lot of stretching, heating and doing different muscle stimulants. I’m doing everything that I can to get back to 100 percent."

http://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ng-pyramids-egypt-coach-cals-style/450032001/

"I haven’t been playing because my lower back started acting up again. It’s bothered me in the past with spasms and things like that. I got to play today against Italy and hopefully I’ll be able to play in the rest of the games.

It was frustrating not to be able to play. I hate watching when I’m supposed to be playing. I’ve just been focusing on stretching my back with the trainers and trying to get back healthy.

Of course everyone knows that Coach (John) Calipari is our coach on the U19 team and it’s been a great experience having him as a coach at this level. He’s one of the coaches that’s been recruiting me so it’s good to have this opportunity to see how he does things.

He really harps on guys playing hard. He doesn’t even care about mistakes, he just wants your effort. So that’s cool."

I'm not sure that this was a good move by Cal. If you tell a recruit/family that you are going to do something then you have to do it, regardless of how well it works (which is why most coaches don't promise anything to recruits). Also, if a recruit/family calls then you have to respond, even if you don't really want the player. Burning bridges is dumb because you never know when someone that you don't like/want is going to be the point for a recruit that you do want. If you intend to keep recruiting players then you must do whatever you can to keep open good communication lines.

I'm not sure that this was a good move by Cal. If you tell a recruit/family that you are going to do something then you have to do it, regardless of how well it works (which is why most coaches don't promise anything to recruits). Also, if a recruit/family calls then you have to respond, even if you don't really want the player. Burning bridges is dumb because you never know when someone that you don't like/want is going to be the point for a recruit that you do want. If you intend to keep recruiting players then you must do whatever you can to keep open good communication lines.
Wrong as usual.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT