ADVERTISEMENT

Rodney Terry Beats Cal Out For Texas HC Job

The Texas beat writer for the Austin paper wrote a month ago that he was told Cal wasn’t under consideration for the job. He did say they’d kick the tires on Jay Wright and Billy Donovan , and If they couldn’t get either it’d likely be Terry

Richard Pitino has the support and instant access to one of the greatest coaches of all time who just so happened to be his father. It was similar to how Lane Kiffin or Thompson III got their jobs. It makes SENSE for those kinds of hires. And they were known to have lots of upside.

This guy has little upside and couldn’t perform at two previous stops; and doesn’t have that kind of pedigree.

Because of your political bent to your brain wave, your bias can’t even pick up that. It’s pathetic.

The riots would not have been about Texas basketball you simpleton quack. They would have been about a Texas HIRING, not the game.

Jeez, you guys are just damn slow. There’s nothing else to it. You can’t even ask for salt and pepper shakers without bringing up your nonsense.

Austin, Texas students would have thrown a friggin fit had they not hired him once the reports went around blaming the administration for hiring a woman abuser then hiring a white guy over him. There’s no doubt you obviously don’t keep up, those students have thrown fits over less. Once the student paper would have ran with it ( and they would have) big problems on that campus and in that town buddy.

Since your tent pushes this crap for political expediency there’s always something that makes their little misfit soldiers miss the mark. This time it’s you assuming I’m white lol. My family is bi racial. And I’m above the white knight nonsense your kind thinks works on us.

I don’t know how old you are, but none of you cared about anything you claim to take issue with until the national platform pushed it around 2008. It was never discussed hardly anywhere. You’re just brainwashed.
it’s absolutely correct it was a PC hire , tho I don’t think Cal would’ve been a candidate either way . It would’ve been a bad look letting a black coach walk that just took a team to the elite 8 , and received all kinds of praise nationally and a ringing endorsement from the Austin paper and tons of other media . Also , California U publicly expressed interest in Terry if Texas had let him walk , and if he’d done anything good there at all it would’ve been worse for Texas

Calipari has a job in Lexington....deal with it
Please provide some proof that Cal was interested in the job. Did he interview for the job? No. Did he say he was interested? No. Your thread title is wrong. Maybe, it should be Cal doesn’t get the Texas HC job, because he was never interested. Deceiving thread title, I think.
Sarcasm/

I believe that there is no way in hell people in Austin were going to
riot over a coach not getting a job. His record is not great but he did
an excellent job with the team after some turmoil in the program. The
fact that Texas made it to the Elite Eight is a big thing at that school.
No they were gonna riot. Especially if they hired White Cal.

This racial shit is nonsense. I’m white, 63 years old, UK fan all my life. Lifetime living in southern Kentucky. Lifetime farmer. Lifetime die hard republican. I would take Tubby over Calipari 7 days a week and twice on Sunday. This is about basketball. And we suck. Knuckleheads come in all colors, shapes, and sizes. Flush this crap and concentrate on the job at hand. We need a new coach.

Reactions: Cawood86
This racial shit is nonsense. I’m white, 63 years old, UK fan all my life. Lifetime living in southern Kentucky. Lifetime farmer. Lifetime die hard republican. I would take Tubby over Calipari 7 days a week and twice on Sunday. This is about basketball. And we suck. Knuckleheads come in all colors, shapes, and sizes. Flush this crap and concentrate on the job at hand. We need a new coach.
I think the argument with this is that today‘s climate isn’t a good time to be passing over a successful , interim black coach for a full-time job in favor of Cal or about anyone else . I think most UK fans would take a winner …no matter who . Tubby really tailed off at the end of his career , and didn’t enjoy the recruiting aspect ( and all that goes with it ) of college much . He’d be in a tough spot at a pressure gig like UK in 2023 with NIL , portal and all …

Reactions: Backer cutter
Unless he gets the talent to be able to just roll the ball out there and win (like another coach we know), I see him fired in 3 or 4 years. He just didn't prove enough previously to warrant consideration for this job. He did a good (not great) job getting this team to keep it together after losing their coach. Should have gotten at least a Final Four out of this effed up tournament. He couldn't even win the most important game of his life with a 13 point second half lead. They got outscored by 20 with 13 minutes to go in the game. It won't get any easier for him when they move to the SEC.

Reactions: Jjohnb5393
I think the argument with this is that today‘s climate isn’t a good time to be passing over a successful , interim black coach for a full-time job in favor of Cal or about anyone else . I think most UK fans would take a winner …no matter who . Tubby really tailed off at the end of his career , and didn’t enjoy the recruiting aspect ( and all that goes with it ) of college much . He’d be in a tough spot at a pressure gig like UK in 2023 with NIL , portal and all …
I wanted Tubby gone, no question. My point was, and your today’s climate validates it, just get the best you can get. There’s a rainbow of good coaches, and bad. Screw today’s climate. That’s a really weak argument. And a main problem with everything non sports related. I can’t say the actual problem without getting banned, but if people can’t figure it out by now, reading it wouldn’t matter anyway.

He did a great job. He earned the position. Coaching today is much different when comparing it to 10+ years ago. It’s more about connecting with young players and managing egos / actually coaching basketball and putting your team in a position to win, which he did. It’s sad, but that’s todays game with NIL and the transfer portal, etc. is an entirely different thing. Coaching today is so much different from years ago.

Guarantee you that many successful coaches from years ago would struggle in todays environment.

Had they hired anyone else it would have been a bad look. Same could be said if the man was white and had the same outcome. Who cares?

Reactions: BradleyCrawford08
Keep your head in the sand pal. Evidently you have had it there for the last 10 years. I don't like it either but it is what it is. Like mostly peaceful fiery riots.

Can we please get back to the main problem at hand? How do we get rid of CCC? Nothing else matters at this time.

Austin would have rioted had he not been hired. He’s not the best candidate and certainly will be fired there, but this has to be done from their perspective.

He wasn’t even a top 25 candidate. Took a really good team built by someone else and underachieved. This isn’t his first rodeo but people seem to think it is.

Strictly a PC hire, especially after their PC issues with Beard. They would have hired him anyway at least for a little time. They only really care about footvalll anyway.

Yea I know a few of you hate facts and love socially engineered nonsense. Save the response toward me and just spew the nonsense throughout the thread; shout it out loud, much like an Austin Texas student would do.
New sport Grom? I haven't heard of that one. Well, with the new interchanges being intro'ed into the life of these youngsters, who knows it may catch on..,Maybe as a multi-people roster.

Terry didn't really give TX much of a choice. He took over during a difficult situation with Beard, handled himself and the team well, and delivered about the same results they expected with their "home run hire" of Beard.

Had Beard been fired in say .... June. Terry would not have been hired. But he got a field promotion and didn't crap the bed. Really difficult not to give the guy the job after he does the job.

Reactions: BradleyCrawford08
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT