ADVERTISEMENT

Rodney Terry Beats Cal Out For Texas HC Job

Austin would have rioted had he not been hired. He’s not the best candidate and certainly will be fired there, but this has to be done from their perspective.

He wasn’t even a top 25 candidate. Took a really good team built by someone else and underachieved. This isn’t his first rodeo but people seem to think it is.

Strictly a PC hire, especially after their PC issues with Beard. They would have hired him anyway at least for a little time. They only really care about footvalll anyway.

Yea I know a few of you hate facts and love socially engineered nonsense. Save the response toward me and just spew the nonsense throughout the thread; shout it out loud, much like an Austin Texas student would do.

If you really believe Austin would have rioted if he had not been hired
you are totally delusional.He also is the right candidate for the job. He took
Texas to the Elite 8. When was the last time they made it that far in the tournament?

Texas guy with deep Texas roots. Ron Holland and AJ Johnson reaffirmed their committments earlier. Guy takes the team nearly to the FF you almost have to hire him. Will he be successful there? Possibly.

I will hate the Texas basketball program for the rest of my life. I really thought maybe Texas was going to save the UK basketball program by taking Cal off our hands. I don't see UK making the final four or winning the NC again for many years to come. To quote another thread "Damn the Texas basketball program"

you are totally delusional.
He also is the right candidate for the job. He took
Texas to the Elite 8. When was the last time they made it that far in the tournament?
With today's society, you really believe this?

why is he the right candidate? Because TX went to the Elite 8? Ok----so do we just overlook his previous stops at Fresno State(125-109) and UTEP(37-49)?

He was 162-158 as a HC before this year...Would TX have entertained him as a candidate with that record?

Nope.

The last time (and only time) was a couple of years into Beard’s tenure with his recruits…something that won’t happen again in Austin

Reactions: Fox2monk

I’ve quit responding to sock accounts but yes, Austin students are insufferable idiots. And This guy has a bad head coaching record and it wasn’t his team. He’s not qualified for the Texas job. Texas just had a PC issue with domestic abuse. This was a PC hire to quiet those flames. Pure and simple.

Your kind are the worst kind. Go away.

Austin would have rioted had he not been hired. He’s not the best candidate and certainly will be fired there, but this has to be done from their perspective.

He wasn’t even a top 25 candidate. Took a really good team built by someone else and underachieved. This isn’t his first rodeo but people seem to think it is.

Strictly a PC hire, especially after their PC issues with Beard. They would have hired him anyway at least for a little time. They only really care about footvalll anyway.

Yea I know a few of you hate facts and love socially engineered nonsense. Save the response toward me and just spew the nonsense throughout the thread; shout it out loud, much like an Austin Texas student would do.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks for stepping up .👍

Reactions: shano and Fox2monk
Lets add some context to Rodney Terry's coaching record.

In his 3rd year at Fresno his team won over 20 games, had a slight drop off the next year, then went 66-34 the following 3 seasons after that.

Then he took over a bad UTEP program. In only the 2nd season his team went from 8 wins to 17. Then Covid happened and his team went 12-12. He left to go back to Texas where he spent 10 seasons as an assistant before that from 2002-2011.

Im not saying the guy is a guarantee for Texas. I wouldn't have made the hire. I just don't think his hiring is quite as bad as some people think.

Reactions: dvillecatfan
But the point is Texas will never get a Kentucky head coach in men's college basketball. We will beat them out every time. He's ours.

• Haha
Reactions: Gromcat
Lets add some context to Rodney Terry's coaching record.

In his 3rd year at Fresno his team won over 20 games, had a slight drop off the next year, then went 66-34 the following 3 seasons after that.

Then he took over a bad UTEP program. In only the 2nd season his team went from 8 wins to 17. Then Covid happened and his team went 12-12. He left to go back to Texas where he spent 10 seasons as an assistant before that from 2002-2011.

Im not saying the guy is a guarantee for Texas. I just don't think his hiring is quite as bad as some people think.

I don’t really care, but this was a PC move. Texas is a big time program right now. They’ve got tons of money and are moving to the SEC. If they weren’t in their predicament, they would have hired a big time name. They just hired one of the hottest names, before that they were hiring hot names.

But they decided this time to hire a guy who’s got no name recognition, a fair to bad head coaching record, and this is just off of having to fire a guy for domestic abuse.

And this is Austin, the most extremely (leftist)leaning place in Texas.

It was a PC hire, there’s no doubt about it. But honestly, I don’t care. I just bring it up because there’s so many who are scared to speak about it and that grinds my gears. And I also think the idea that you hire a black man as cover is racist in and of itself, which is exactly what those types of people really are underneath the “good guy” card that they think they are entitled to just because people still vote off of the 1960’s in their tent.

But I’m gonna stop before going down the rabbit hole.

Reactions: jrm693
He done a good job this year under the circumstances.

Sure. He did okay. He didn’t blow it away, he did a decently solid job keeping it together. But that’s why you allow him to take over as interim, not hire him to run one of the richest programs in the country who’s trying to win championships.

It’s got PC all over it.

We’ll see how he does. I’m guessing he’s definitely fired in 3, maybe even 2, seasons.

why is he the right candidate? Because TX went to the Elite 8? Ok----so do we just overlook his previous stops at Fresno State(125-109) and UTEP(37-49)?

He was 162-158 as a HC before this year...Would TX have entertained him as a candidate with that record?

Nope.
I think there’s a lot of people who think he was just a long time assistant. But he has a record as a head coach and it ain’t great. Maybe he’ll do well. Time will tell. But if Chris Beard had been fired tonight Rodney Terry wouldn’t have gotten a sniff.

Nope.
I believe that there is no way in hell people in Austin were going to
riot over a coach not getting a job. His record is not great but he did
an excellent job with the team after some turmoil in the program. The
fact that Texas made it to the Elite Eight is a big thing at that school.

I’ve quit responding to sock accounts but yes, Austin students are insufferable idiots. And This guy has a bad head coaching record and it wasn’t his team. He’s not qualified for the Texas job. Texas just had a PC issue with domestic abuse. This was a PC hire to quiet those flames. Pure and simple.

Your kind are the worst kind. Go away.
What in the hell is my kind? If the team had kept Beard you know damn well
there would have been overwhelming criticism. The coach did a great job taking
that team to the Elite Eight. I'm sure few people thought that would happen when
he became the coach.He is very qualified for that job. Who cares what in the hell
you think outside of this forum?

Why are you so triggered by a black man getting the job? You're the one with issues! You're really angry. You seriously need to get some help. No one cares about UT basketball. They don't even care themselves. You're just spewing a bunch of nonsense that sounds like something coming out of Newsmax or something.

How did he underachieve? A football school won the Big 12 and went to the E8. You can't say that he had nothing to do with the team cause it was all Beard, and then say he underachieved? You can't have it both ways.

Terry kept the program together and on track. The players LOVE him. Also, he has a better shot of keeping their recruiting class intact as he helped recruit many of them. Terry basically is continuity. It's an easy choice.

I work in HR and some of the best employees we've had are people I've taken a chance on. Yes, he probably wouldn't have been on their list, but he's shown that he can lead the program. Sometimes people just need a break to show that they can do. He will have the resources, NIL, etc., that he didn't have at UTEP and Fresno. Give him a break and quit having mental meltdowns and making it about race, which is not. You sound like a racist prick.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why people ever thought Calipari was going to Texas. It just made no sense.

1. He has guaranteed money at UK that is just increasing annually if he chooses to ride out contract. He cannot be fired (assuming he doesn't do something that breaks contract language).

2. If UK terminates him they owe him a fortune.

3. He is going on 65 years old.

4. He isn't exactly killing it right now.

5. Do you think he (Cal) really wants to come play UK when Texas is in SEC in near future?

It just never made any sense whatsoever.

Reactions: chattanoogawildcat
He is coaching a team built by someone else. His past success suggests he will not do well. Prediction - fired in 5 years. 3 if it were a school who actually cared about basketball.

I'm not sure why people ever thought Calipari was going to Texas. It just made no sense.

1. He has guaranteed money at UK that is just increasing annually if he chooses to ride out contract. He cannot be fired (assuming he doesn't do something that breaks contract language).

2. If UK terminates him they owe him a fortune.

3. He is going on 65 years old.

4. He isn't exactly killing it right now.

5. Do you think he (Cal) really wants to come play UK when Texas is in SEC in near future?

It just never made any sense whatsoever.

I think people here are just so tired of him they hold onto any little hope possible of taking another job lol.

Why are you so triggered by a black man getting the job? You're the one with issues! You're really angry. You seriously need to get some help. No one cares about UT basketball. They don't even care themselves. You're just spewing a bunch of nonsense that sounds like something coming out of Newsmax or something.

How did he underachieve? A football school won the Big 12 and went to the E8. You can't say that he had nothing to do with the team cause it was all Beard, and then say he underachieved? You can't have it both ways.

Terry kept the program together and on track. The players LOVE him. Also, he has a better shot of keeping their recruiting class intact as he helped recruit many of them. Terry basically is continuity. It's an easy choice.

I work in HR and some of the best employees we've had are people I've taken a chance on. Yes, he probably wouldn't have been on their list, but he's shown that he can lead the program. Sometimes people just need a break to show that they can do. He will have the resources, NIL, etc., that he didn't have at UTEP and Fresno. Give him a break and quit having mental meltdowns and making it about race, which is not. You sound like a racist prick.

Seems like a good coach. Time will tell if he is a good hire. He certainly handled off the court adversity well and there is something to be said for that.

I do think there would have been backlash if he wasn't hired. Look at the world around you. If Texas fired a coach for domestic abuse, promoted an assistant to interim HC and then didn't retain him after a good season for their standards (no matter his color) it would have been a bad look.

With Terry being a minority there would have been more backlash; unfortunately, that is the world we are in.

Last edited:
Yeah he's not going to coach at another school or the NBA IMO.

He'll leave when he misses his dog so much he can't stand to not be at home with it lol.

If he gets them a good share of the TX talent he will be decent at worst. Interesting that he got a contract 1/3 of what Cal is paid.

Right. They had to hire him. Would be interesting to know if they kept his buyout low.

This is the kind of stuff I’m talking about with these types today. Are you an Austin, TX student?

How could a guy I don’t know getting a job I don’t care about trigger me? I say underachieve because the team had all the pieces to at least make a final four. I’m not gonna spend all my time reading a persons nonsense that obviously has a built in bias. Your first sentence gives it away.

He is not qualified for the Texas job. Period. There’s nothing you can say that makes him qualified for the Texas job. My post are more about Texas than him anyway, but your triggered nonsense just couldn’t help yourself. I care more about Texas, a disgusting university, using this as a means to quiet the crowd because they are afraid of the social media ramifications from the idea of a domestic abuser on their payroll, than him. But you can’t see past the nonsense your stupid disgusting political tent has rammed down your throat as a means to an end.

This is a message board so we’re supposed to discuss, it appears you’ve outed yourself but I’ll refrain for now as to what that means, although I’m sure you can guess.

This is the kind of stuff I’m talking about with these types today. Are you an Austin, TX student?

How could a guy I don’t know getting a job I don’t care about trigger me? I say underachieve because the team had all the pieces to at least make a final four. I’m not gonna spend all my time reading a persons nonsense that obviously has a built in bias. Your first sentence gives it away.

He is not qualified for the Texas job. Period. There’s nothing you can say that makes him qualified for the Texas job. My post are more about Texas than him anyway, but your triggered nonsense just couldn’t help yourself. I care more about Texas, a disgusting university, using this as a means to quiet the crowd because they are afraid of the social media ramifications from the idea of a domestic abuser on their payroll, than him. But you can’t see past the nonsense your stupid disgusting political tent has rammed down your throat as a means to an end.

This is a message board so we’re supposed to discuss, it appears you’ve outed yourself but I’ll refrain for now as to what that means, although I’m sure you can guess.

Who TF cares? There's lots of unqualified white coaches hired everyday as well. You think Richard Pitino was qualified when he got his job? I could list tons of white coaches that got no business coaching anywhere. Maybe they interviewed well or something? It happens. Sometimes these hires work out, sometimes they don't. Time will tell. But you're so freaking hung up by a black guy getting the job. Your venom and hatred speak for itself.

And you keep thinking there's going to be some riots or something. Get over yourself! They don't even care about basketball in Austin. Stop with the dog whistles and stay away from the US Capitol.

Reactions: chattanoogawildcat
Who TF cares? There's lots of unqualified white coaches hired everyday as well. You think Richard Pitino was qualified when he got his job? I could list tons of white coaches that got no business coaching anywhere. Maybe they interviewed well or something? It happens. Sometimes these hires work out, sometimes they don't. Time will tell. But you're so freaking hung up by a black guy getting the job. Your venom and hatred speak for itself.

And you keep thinking there's going to be some riots or something. Get over yourself! They don't even care about basketball in Austin. Stop with the dog whistles and stay away from the US Capitol.

Richard Pitino has the support and instant access to one of the greatest coaches of all time who just so happened to be his father. It was similar to how Lane Kiffin or Thompson III got their jobs. It makes SENSE for those kinds of hires. And they were known to have lots of upside.

This guy has little upside and couldn’t perform at two previous stops; and doesn’t have that kind of pedigree.

Because of your political bent to your brain wave, your bias can’t even pick up that. It’s pathetic.

The riots would not have been about Texas basketball you simpleton quack. They would have been about a Texas HIRING, not the game.

Jeez, you guys are just damn slow. There’s nothing else to it. You can’t even ask for salt and pepper shakers without bringing up your nonsense.

Austin, Texas students would have thrown a friggin fit had they not hired him once the reports went around blaming the administration for hiring a woman abuser then hiring a white guy over him. There’s no doubt you obviously don’t keep up, those students have thrown fits over less. Once the student paper would have ran with it ( and they would have) big problems on that campus and in that town buddy.

Since your tent pushes this crap for political expediency there’s always something that makes their little misfit soldiers miss the mark. This time it’s you assuming I’m white lol. My family is bi racial. And I’m above the white knight nonsense your kind thinks works on us.

I don’t know how old you are, but none of you cared about anything you claim to take issue with until the national platform pushed it around 2008. It was never discussed hardly anywhere. You’re just brainwashed.

• Haha
Reactions: bluedom44
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT