ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Bill Walton

Don't remember Alcindor/Kareem in college (earliest UCLA team I remember was Wicks/Rowe) but the Walton Gang was one of the best teams I've ever seen. Their backup center (Swen Nater) played well in the NBA for a decade or more. When healthy, Walton was one of the best ever. The Portland team seeking a repeat was something like 50-8 when he got hurt. Could have been a dynasty if he'd stayed 100%.

Funny broadcaster and >>>> Dickie V. Not even close to being as unlistenable as Dickie V. Huge Deadhead, too.

He'll be sorely missed.

Reactions: stuway
Ok Im here, he was bought and paid for just like Lew Alcindor. He was nothing but a liberal POS then and even a bigger liberal POS with his dope infused biased commentary. So fuque him and you for wishing ill will on me because I did not follow your belief!!
When you’re dead, we’ll certainly remember you as a far-right, Trump loving, constitution hating, mouth breathing POS.

Ok Im here, he was bought and paid for just like Lew Alcindor. He was nothing but a liberal POS then and even a bigger liberal POS with his dope infused biased commentary. So fuque him and you for wishing ill will on me because I did not follow your belief!!
Surely you don't believe UCLA was the only team paying players back then, right? I mean, David Thompson at NC State wasn't receiving $100 handshakes and lots of other incentives to play/stay at NCSt? C'mon, man. You think UK was squeaky clean during that era?

Whether UCLA cheated or not, Walton was an all-timer at the college level. 44 pts vs Memphis State on 21 for 22 shooting in the NCAA Title game? Are you kidding me? Injuries put a damper on his pro career but he still walked away with 2 titles, an NBA Finals and regular season MVP, so not exactly a bust.

Reactions: 55wildcat and J_Dee
David Thompson blocking Walton at the rim is a memorable highlight. Bill was haunted by the loss to NC St. that game the rest of his career.

Reactions: gamecockcat
David Thompson blocking Walton at the rim is a memorable highlight. Bill was haunted by the loss to NC St. that game the rest of his career.
I remember that play like it was yesterday. Incredible. TBF, NCSt won in double OT on basically their home court in that semifinal game. If those two teams played 20 times on a neutral floor, I think the Bruins win 16+ of those games. DT was unreal, though.

Reactions: cole854
Sorry to hear of his loss. Was never a fan of his commentating. I watched games for the basketball and not the commentary. His whole conference of champions, Grateful Dead, weed smoking schtick got old fast. Oh yeah........

tommy-chong.jpg

Last edited:
My only Bill Walton anecdote is that any time he has a late game on ESPN, my dad will inevitably recall every weird thing that Bill had to say. Not sure if I'll miss that or not.

I believe Bob Ryan said that if Bill Walton weren’t compromised by injury, that he’d be the GOAT. Big words from a dude who covered elite hoops.

I respect Walton for being a great dad who loved his boys. And they loved him back. That’s enough for me.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
When you’re dead, we’ll certainly remember you as a far-right, Trump loving, constitution hating, mouth breathing POS.
You do sometimes wonder what is wrong with some of these people, why don't they just step away from the keyboard and realize that everyone's worth in life is not summed up by who they pull the lever for on election day.

Don't remember Alcindor/Kareem in college (earliest UCLA team I remember was Wicks/Rowe) but the Walton Gang was one of the best teams I've ever seen. Their backup center (Swen Nater) played well in the NBA for a decade or more. When healthy, Walton was one of the best ever. The Portland team seeking a repeat was something like 50-8 when he got hurt. Could have been a dynasty if he'd stayed 100%.

Funny broadcaster and >>>> Dickie V. Not even close to being as unlistenable as Dickie V. Huge Deadhead, too.

He'll be sorely missed.
Is he the biggest what if in nba history?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT