ADVERTISEMENT

Jaxson Robinson is worth his weight in gold

99.9% of people said the same thing about Cal after a very short time at UK. Pope may be great. He may also not be. He hasn’t coached a single season yet.
Cal was great until about 2015. He started losing his fire and by 2019, when he got his lifetime contract, the fire was completely extinguished.

Now the question with Cal is, did going to Arkansas relight the fire or is it too late?

Time will tell.

Cal was great until about 2015. He started losing his fire and by 2019, when he got his lifetime contract, the fire was completely extinguished.

Now the question with Cal is, did going to Arkansas relight the fire or is it too late?

Time will tell.
Agree. I suspect he’s pretty much done. Guys don’t play hard for him they’re just passing through been my biggest take away the last five years. Just glad the guy is out of Lexington. GBB!

@bookerfan66 completely vanished just hours before JR committed. Not a single post since when leading up to it all we heard from this poster was that we'd stink next year? Wherever could he (pretty sure it's a she) be to weigh in on the JR committment?? ruppsrunt66 awol as well.

#TrollTown

I'll mess with you, I'm not prejudice.... (Now to figure out how to mess with you...) ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Cold Stout Beer
I'll mess with you, I'm not prejudice.... (Now to figure out how to mess with you...) ;)

I Don'T Want Any Trouble Bass Reeves GIF

Cal never had love for Kentucky the way Pope does before he came here. It was much easier for him to stop trying and go down with the ship. I have the feeling Mark is going to be absolutely gutted every time we lose a single game.
Ccc was/is a 2 faced used car salesman. He was only interested in him and couldn't complete sentence and couldn't tell the truth if flattened by a press. Pope is the complete opposite and will put the university 1st.

@bookerfan66 completely vanished just hours before JR committed. Not a single post since ......when leading up to it all we heard from this poster was that we'd stink next year. Wherever could he (pretty sure it's a she) be to weigh in on the JR committment?? ruppsrunt66 awol as well.........

#TrollVille
Thanks for obsessing over me but believe it or not I have a life outside this board and have a job and take care of a parent with dementia.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Biggest difference in Cal and Pope. Pope actually loves Kentucky. Cal used the facilities to run Cal U. Not UK. Pope is 10000 times the coach that Cal ever thought of being without ever coaching a game here!!!
1000 times the coach. Should be a National Championship year boys and girls.

@bookerfan66 completely vanished just hours before JR committed. Not a single post since ......when leading up to it all we heard from this poster was that we'd stink next year. Wherever could he (pretty sure it's a she) be to weigh in on the JR committment?? ruppsrunt66 awol as well.........

#TrollVille

Cornbreadandmilk absent since that time as well….. pathetic, but we all knew it. track42??? One loon with tons of accounts, playing it both ways.

Last edited:

Time will tell.
No matter if the fire is there or not... The bigger question is did he learn X's and O's by now... which if he hasn't learned it in so far n his coaching career he won't pick it up now.

99.9% of people said the same thing about Cal after a very short time at UK. Pope may be great. He may also not be. He hasn’t coached a single season yet.

I must have a different memory than you do. As I recall, a lot of posters thought Cal was a lot of hot air and hype but they liked it at the time. They said he had "bravado!" Pope is more straightforward as the other poster said. I don't recall Cal ever being that way.

I must have a different memory than you do. As I recall, a lot of posters thought Cal was a lot of hot air and hype but they liked it at the time. They said he had "bravado!" Pope is more straightforward as the other poster said. I don't recall Cal ever being that way.
I said that fans said the same thing about Cal, which was that he was perfect for UK. That is 100% true.

He is correct that fans did think Cal was perfect for UK because of his swag, etc.

I agreed but Cal seemed to act like he was above the fans quickly. He did produce results quickly. Cal never shared nor did he ever become "intimate" with the Kentucky fan base. He never even tried. All I remember is the "You're Crazy" remarks. The fan alienation started very slowly but it progressed regularly. When the results lessened the progression sped up... Take care...

It will actually make the games we loose a little easier to accept, for me, knowing we have a coach who has prepared as well as he could his team to win. For me knowing Cal had the talent and would not always prepare his team to use it to the fullest is what always bugged me about most loses. It would be so oblivious we were the better team. This comment is out of place I know but I just needed to say it.

I agreed but Cal seemed to act like he was above the fans quickly. He did produce results quickly. Cal never shared nor did he ever become "intimate" with the Kentucky fan base. He never even tried. All I remember is the "You're Crazy" remarks. The fan alienation started very slowly but it progressed regularly. When the results lessened the progression sped up... Take care...

You nailed it. In my work I see this happen a lot. A company brings in a new CEO, President, whatever and they are initially star struck until reality sinks in. One company wanted to hire someone "with a backbone." They fired him 3 years later.

Reactions: BBUK
99.9% of people said the same thing about Cal after a very short time at UK.
No, it wasn’t really the same things that people were saying about Cal although everyone definitely was excited and high on him. Cal’s in-person introduction to BBN was standing at a podium and staring down at the printed pages he was reading his half stellar/half cheesy “domination proclamation for the big blue nation” off of. Really soon after that he said “the Lamborghini is not leaving the garage.”

We had no idea the magnitude of the bullcrap that was headed for us six years down the pike even though plenty of people were warning us even then. But even then, even though we were very high on him, most fans knew and talked about the fact that Cal was a bullshitter and a salesman. We started saying very very early that “Cal could sell a ketchup popsicle to a woman in white gloves.” ——In addition to which it took a while to convince a huge chunk of people that DDMO was even a real thing as opposed to just a marketing gimmick Cal hawked to bring the talent in here and roll the balls out. (And plenty of people never did believe it at all, including several vocal voices here).

Sure, people were saying complimentary things about Cal back then and were excited with high expectations. And as a result anyone can be forgiven for feeling once bitten, twice shy regarding the similar-level excitement about Coach Pope now. But ultimately there are very significant differences between both what people are hearing from Pope compared to what they heard from Cal and what people are saying about Pope compared to what they said about Cal. Pope has been working hard to achieve those differences. They are significant and he deserves credit for them.

Reactions: Phil_The_Music
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT