ADVERTISEMENT

Bill Walton has passed away

Well I can't say I liked Walton much as a commentator didn't really care for that hippie dippy deadhead west coast persona but I hope he repented. And he was an excellent player no denying that

Last edited:
I’m too young to remember him as a player, but I enjoyed his hippie quirkiness
Really, really good player........ but an even better ambassador of the game and a genuinely nice person.

And....... he won't have to live on in a world without his beloved Pacific Athletic Conference.

Had no idea he had cancer. Sad. I will share my bills Walton story.
Went to a Kentucky Utah game in Vegas 2019 and had seats on the floor which had special access to a private bathroom. I went in there and it was just me and Bill Walton. He was washing his hands. I was washing mine and I turned to him after and said something like" hello Mr. Walton nice to meet you " after general bs while washing and put my hand out and he said , rule number two in life son never shake another man's hand in the bathroom and walked out the door I was I was shocked just sitting there and now I'll never get to find out what rule number one was
Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line.

If UK-Duke 1992 wasn't the greatest game ever played, the 1974 UCLA-NC St game might be a good 2nd choice. Walton's great UCLA team was beat by one of the most motley group of athletes ever assembled, Little David, Monty Towe, the giant Tom Burleson, a fine baseball player Tim Stoddard, and other odds and ends.

UCLA led by 7 (iirc) in the 2nd overtime and NC State came back to win by 3.

A great game, yes.

But I'll go out on a limb and say that NC State's triple overtime win over Maryland in the 1974 ACC Championship game was even more incredible. Over three hours of punch, counterpunch before Maryland finally blinked in the 53rd minute. In an era when only the conference tournament champion would make the NCAA tournament.

That's the only time in my life I thought the referees(or at least one) actually intentionally cheated Kentucky out of a game and maybe a championship. The rooferee made a 15 point swing in that game and it was done on behalf of the biggest academic cheaters in the history of NCAA sports. That UNCheat championship should get an asterisk.
I've said it before as well. It was the ONLY NCAA tournament loss for UK I have ever watched that felt completely rigged against us. Bad calls happen, but this was waaaay more than that. Rooferee called it fair the second half but the damage was done. He knew exactly what he was doing. Hard to win with one hand tied behind your back.
RIP Big Bill.

I hate this. Rest In Peace Bill! One of my favorite non-Wildcats to play the game. Larger than life character who enjoyed life. Really sad to hear about Bill passing away. Fortunate enough to have gotten an autograph from him in the past.

Reactions: ArcadiaFan
Dave Pasch his 12 year co-anchor had a good story on Sportcenter today. They worked their last game together back in February. I knew something was strange one Saturday night near the end of the season I think it was the last regular season PAC-12 game and Walton was absent, Pasch quickly mentioned Walton is out sick. Thought it was strange him not calling basically the PAC-12’s last game ever. RIP Bill will never another like you.

It’s kind of fitting that he passed away the same year as the PAC-12. Almost like it was destiny given how much he loved that league.
it’s far too much of a coincidence that the last PAC12 game was Saturday night (baseball tournament championship) and he passed Monday. Almost like a higher power kept him around for the very end.

Sarcastic Season 4 GIF by The Office

I thought everybody knew that you don't shake anybody's hand in the bathroom. Sounds like you are painting him in a bad light. I can't fault him for that.
Not painting him in a bad light. Where you get that from.
Laughing at it. His philosophical way of saying something like that was funny....and true.

Had no idea he had cancer. Sad. I will share my bills Walton story.
Went to a Kentucky Utah game in Vegas 2019 and had seats on the floor which had special access to a private bathroom. I went in there and it was just me and Bill Walton. He was washing his hands. I was washing mine and I turned to him after and said something like" hello Mr. Walton nice to meet you " after general bs while washing and put my hand out and he said , rule number two in life son never shake another man's hand in the bathroom and walked out the door I was I was shocked just sitting there and now I'll never get to find out what rule number one was
When it comes to shaking hands in the bathroom, I'll bet we all know what rule #1 is.

That quirky red headed hippie was one of the best to ever play the post.

He’s a loss for the game and its history.
In his second year at UCLA, he told Coach Wooden that he just couldn't abide Wooden's rule prohibiting "long hair." Coach Wooden is said to have told him, "Well, William, I'm sorry to see you leave. We wish you well." Of course, Walton changed his mind, etc., etc.

A great game, yes.

But I'll go out on a limb and say that NC State's triple overtime win over Maryland in the 1974 ACC Championship game was even more incredible. Over three hours of punch, counterpunch before Maryland finally blinked in the 53rd minute. In an era when only the conference tournament champion would make the NCAA tournament.
Sure. There are lots of contenders. I think the 75 UL-UCLA game was as well played as I've ever seen.

So sad to hear. Wild and wacky guy on the air but very likable just the same. One of the greatest college players ever despite playing for a college I dislike. Not too bad a pro despite fighting injuries. Had no idea he was ill. Will miss him. RIP, Mr. Walton.

Oh, wow, that's terrible. I had no idea he was sick.

Me either dude worked till the end and always seemed the same. I hope he’s found the best strain ever now. R.I.P.

Man, must have been some real aggressive cancer.. he was calling games within the last year, wasnt he?

He was a great personality.. and while maybe a little rough around the edges, I'll take him any day over the same repetitive announcers.
I loved watching his games just for the randomness that ensued. Never about the game but interesting none the less.

Nah,

Apparently you and a couple have never done the RIP threads on the Paddock... Par though... (Where the thread should have been to start with but...)
Yea, a college basketball legend who many have shared great memories of, passing away should be in the political cesspool board instead of the most active college basketball board. Don't participate if you don't like it. You're the only person who thinks basketball history shouldn't be posted here. Back to your recliner.

So sad to hear. Wild and wacky guy on the air but very likable just the same. One of the greatest college players ever despite playing for a college I dislike. Not too bad a pro despite fighting injuries. Had no idea he was ill. Will miss him. RIP, Mr. Walton.
Yeah he probably has the best college resume ever. One of the best NBA players if he didn’t have so many injuries too. Won MVP is his only healthy years really. 3x’s NPOY and 2X NCAA champion. Nobody will touch that. He should probably have the Naismith trophy or a similar award named after him.

Reactions: ORCAT
Maybe he wasn't the "best" commentator out there, but I would've gladly had him over anyone this past decade for our games. It's a shame he only did like one or two. He was a genuinely funny commentator and brought out the fun side of the game. RIP

Possibly the greatest college big man ever, R.I.P. Big Red, you were really something...
He was a great college player and if not for foot issues, he would have been one of the NBA greats- interesting 30 for 30 (I think) 3-4 part series about him- he was out hiking when he stopped at a small store and was told he was the # 1 NBA pick, per the documentary

Yea, a college basketball legend who many have shared great memories of, passing away should be in the political cesspool board instead of the most active college basketball board. Don't participate if you don't like it. You're the only person who thinks basketball history shouldn't be posted here. Back to your recliner.

Bite me...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT