ADVERTISEMENT

Richmond commits to Kentucky

I don't "troll", I only state my opinion. Am I negative sometimes? Absolutely, but I'm also a realist. We've known for years that the best recruits came here to get immediate playing time and then bolt for the draft. Why you're (seemingly) disputing that is weird. There is the occasional top recruit who chooses to stay rather than risk it in the draft, but that is nowhere near the norm. Try not to be so sensitive.

EDIT: I do not have the best memory, so rather than personally attacking me how about just mentioning Nick? Have a good day.
Negative sometimes? I'd say at least 90% of the time (being generous). If by calling you negative, which you agreed with, is an attack I don't know what to tell you. Try not to be so sensitive.

I read earlier that he cant shoot well; have yet to watch any tape or see ststs but wanted to ask other opinion on this young man... is he serviceable? Possibly a thiero type thst can create but lacks a quality shot?

Reactions: FFWhite
I hope this means we aren’t out of the running for Edgecomb.
Richmond is a SF and Edgecombe is a SG. Richmond is a defensive firecracker, which we need on every team. I was extremely impressed with Edgecombe's defense, offense and speed at the Marshall Co. Hoopfest and his vertical is unreal. Reminds me of a young Derek Anderson, elite quickness with a high IQ. IMO, he's way better than Knox, hope Cal can get him.

Yes please on Peterson. I’m really hoping we can land that dude. Would be a difference maker for sure. He plays like a grown man.
Peterson fland, Perry, and a grad transfer like reeves would be a great backcourt. I hope Sheppard. I hope Sheppard comes back but I think the more he continues this level of the play the higher the chances of him leaving are

Peterson fland, Perry, and a grad transfer like reeves would be a great backcourt. I hope Sheppard. I hope Sheppard comes back but I think the more he continues this level of the play the higher the chances of him leaving are
Sheppard will be back.

The only way I don't see him returning is if UK wins a title with him being one of our standouts. In that one lone case could I see him saying, "I accomplished my mission here."

He's not leaving for the NBA if we fall short of the title.

Biggest job for Cal for next season is to make sure Sheppard returns.

Then get Edgecombe and/or Knox.

Don’t think we land Edgecombe, but I feel good about Knox.

Sheppard, Fland, Knox, Thiero, and Quaintance starting with Perry, Hart, Richmond, Burks, and Cyril off the bench.

That’s a contender, IMHO.

Might add a grad transfer for experience.

Or a really talented reclass, like Peterson.

Sheppard, Fland, Knox, Thiero, and Quaintance starting with Perry, Hart, Richmond, Burks, and Cyril off the bench.

With fland they need a fast shifty guy to pair with him

Sheppard will be back.

The only way I don't see him returning is if UK wins a title with him being one of our standouts. In that one lone case could I see him saying, "I accomplished my mission here."

He's not leaving for the NBA if we fall short of the title.
I hope so, I see him in lottery discussions more and more now, and the basketball podcast for college basketball are gushing over him(which they should, Reed has been great) but still

Reactions: NociHTTP

I think Cal is expecting a second year from Sheppard.

Richmond replaces Reeves.
Fland replaces Wagner.
Edgecombe replaces Dillingham.

Sheppard returns.

There's your 1-2-3 rotation, with Perry sprinkled in for "in a pinch" minutes.

I agree concerning Sheppard. He has definitely played himself into draft consideration, and I imagine he will only go up the boards as the season progresses. I could see a scenario where he chooses to come back one more year to cement a legacy, however small that chance may be.

Concerning Boogie, don’t get me wrong I am thrilled to have his commitment, I am just not completely sold on him as a big time player at the PG spot. Arguably the most important position for a Cal team so I hope I’m wrong. He is talented, but is he THAT kind of talent, ya know? Time will tell.

Totally agree on Reeves type. We will need to experience to show these young pups the ropes.

What I like about Richmond is unless he blows up offensively I think we’ve got us two year player with a major upside. Great defensive player and team first player. I’m really liking all the kids of former Cal players.

Richmond is a smooth and strong finisher around the basket, his offensive bread and butter. He’s known for defense, but he’ll also give you buckets — he was a top-15 scorer during the EYBL regular season, averaging 18.0 points per game on 54.0% shooting.

The difference being that those programs DEVELOP guys who come back rather than just recruiting over them. Maybe with Welch and staff that will change, but it's not how Cal has done things. It's usually one or the other.

Cal has developed plenty of players. I’ll give you a chance to back peddle on your statement or I’ll make you out to be a fool with lots of examples? Your choice? 🙂

Reactions: Slowwalker
Cal has developed plenty of players. I’ll give you a chance to back peddle on your statement or I’ll make you out to be a fool with lots of examples? Your choice? 🙂
Wonder why you're not in the game thread? Nobody want to chat with you? Your reading comprehension is incredibly poor, to go along with lack of community decor.

I just watched some Youtube clips on Richmond. The kid struck me as extremely poised and aware and very economical. He's bigger than SGA whom I mention because both know that you don't need to be sprinters to be fast enough for basketball. Change your speed at the right time and you will be fast enough to score. Richmond knows what's going on around him in the game and where the ball is going to be, and he uses that to block more shots than most 6'6" players bother to. Poise and knowledge of the game flow. Where have we seen that recently?

Since Youtube clips only show made shots, I can't tell what kind of shooter he usually is. He shoots jump shots with good form, and he jumps higher than defenders on layups. The clips were from his junior year and show someone who already is too big for the scope of the players around him.

It’s fire but it’s also that Duke isn’t getting gift wrapped all the Nike kids anymore with K gone lol
uhhhh look at the players they are getting ......... nike is gift wrapping them all the players still. We are now getting the right players because of Antigua and Chin... also having Welch on the staff is having players wanting to come play for a legendary development guy.
I just watched some Youtube clips on Richmond. The kid struck me as extremely poised and aware and very economical. He's bigger than SGA whom I mention because both know that you don't need to be sprinters to be fast enough for basketball. Change your speed at the right time and you will be fast enough to score. Richmond knows what's going on around him in the game and where the ball is going to be, and he uses that to block more shots than most 6'6" players bother to. Poise and knowledge of the game flow. Where have we seen that recently?

Since Youtube clips only show made shots, I can't tell what kind of shooter he usually is. He shoots jump shots with good form, and he jumps higher than defenders on layups. The clips were from his junior year and show someone who already is too big for the scope of the players around him.

well if he was decent at shooting, he would have a lot more jumpers in his highlight vids.... The good news is that if we geet Reed to come back and sign the player we are still trying to get, Richmond will be a 6th or 7th man and anything we get from him will be gravy. well 8th man if we get big Z to come back and play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT