ADVERTISEMENT

Reversed INT

Before the reversal I told my wife, "There's no way they will allow us to beat Georgia today."
I think their only major screwups were the missed face mask and a missed pass interference call. But neither of those calls were bad enough to cause a loss. We did that by not going for 7 at least one of those 4 times. I also thought it was a mistake to kick on 3rd down.

Turning point was that first drive to start the second half, where they needed a TD and they settled for a FG
During the first half, I kept saying if we keep kicking field goals we were going to lose. You see this happen a lot in college and the NFL. When you fail to put a team away when you have the chance, typically it results in a loss.

During the first half, I kept saying if we keep kicking field goals we were going to lose. You see this happen a lot in college and the NFL. When you fail to put a team away when you have the chance, typically it results in a loss.
9 seconds left from the UGA 15 and not even attempting a shot at the end zone is about as cowardly as you can get

I think we’ve been down this road for decades. You expect the worst. The 07 LSU win is apparently never going to be matched again. I go into every close game with a higher ranked team expecting it to occur even with a lead.

We’ve watched conservative play calling end up with losses against ranked teams so many times. I hate cowardly football. Not a single fan on here would’ve been upset going for it with three minutes to go. I think everyone but Stoops knew that was the game right there.

I think it was the right call, but at the same time I think if he didn't pop it up they call it a catch.
Can't have it both ways. If it was a "catch" it was an INT/TD. Once they took the INT away they have to take the catch away too. Blown call but not surprising.

Reactions: ACT ONE
9 seconds left from the UGA 15 and not even attempting a shot at the end zone is about as cowardly as you can get
I think cowardly is a bit too strong. When you are on the losing end of games like this way too often, you tend to play not to lose which ends up resulting in a loss. If he went for it and his QB gets sacked, he knows that he would be second guessed for the play. However, he should have made an endzone attempt. As the old saying goes, it is lonely at the top.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
Take a sack with no TO’s left and you come away with no points. If you go for it you have to make sure it’s a okay that you either get a TD or you can chuck it out of bounds. I see his concern to just get points on the board. Had we held their TD to a FG in the 2nd half that’s the game.

The problem I had with the call is there has to be irrefutable evidence that the ball hit the ground. I didn't see that. As a Bengals fan, I did see that last week on Gesicki catch/drop in end zone.

Tough call IMHO. If it was called incomplete originally I'd understand.

Felt like the biggest turning point as Georgia was reeling and the stadium was rocking.

The problem I had with the call is there has to be irrefutable evidence that the ball hit the ground. I didn't see that.
Even if had been ruled a completion, the correct call would’ve been down by contact before the ball popped up. Thus the only real options officials had on that review were 1) incomplete pass; or 2) complete and down at the point where the receiver went to the ground.

I know the reversal was a big bummer, but there really were no circumstances where they could’ve allowed that interception to stand.

Take a sack with no TO’s left and you come away with no points. If you go for it you have to make sure it’s a okay that you either get a TD or you can chuck it out of bounds. I see his concern to just get points on the board. Had we held their TD to a FG in the 2nd half that’s the game.

Plus getting the ball back after half. Kicking that was 1000% the right call. What a drive by the offense to eat up that much clock and threaten a td there. Great clock management too although id like to see a spike there, preserving that final to.

Even if had been ruled a completion, the correct call would’ve been down by contact before the ball popped up. Thus the only real options officials had on that review were 1) incomplete pass; or 2) complete and down at the point where the receiver went to the ground.

I know the reversal was a big bummer, but there really were no circumstances where they could’ve allowed that interception to stand.

Well he never had possession so it couldn't have been down by contact. The argument is really if the ball hit the ground or not.

Can't have it both ways. If it was a "catch" it was an INT/TD. Once they took the INT away they have to take the catch away too. Blown call but not surprising.
Wouldn’t be reversed if it was Georgia who ran it back for a TD. Not enough video evidence to turn it over in that case.
It’s the SEC. Two call yesterday for LSU that would not have been called the other way won the Tigers game. If you aren’t one of the big boys in SEC football you have to play so well the stripes can’t determine the game. It was proven again yesterday.

Reactions: mrschwump
Well he never had possession so it couldn't have been down by contact. The argument is really if the ball hit the ground or not.
Exactly.

Between that reversed call, the unnecessary roughness call (BS), and the facemask call, I felt like the fix was in in the first half. Maybe we got a makeup call with that roughing the passer, but that doesn't put 6 points on the board.

Worst officiating performance I can recall since Matt Jones sic'd BBN on that roofing douche.

Exactly.

Between that reversed call, the unnecessary roughness call (BS), and the facemask call, I felt like the fix was in in the first half. Maybe we got a makeup call with that roughing the passer, but that doesn't put 6 points on the board.

Worst officiating performance I can recall since Matt Jones sic'd BBN on that roofing douche.

Our very first drive of the game started with our heels on the goal line thanks to two penalties. No reason i could see the personal foul shouldn't have gone both ways and offset.

I think UG had one more TD in them if they needed it at the end. But I understand what you are saying. I doubt we would have made the pass, but I think you have to try.

There was no possibility that was a catch and then down by contact because the receiver never had possession to make a “football move”. Since he went to the ground as part of his effort to secure the ball, he had to maintain control through the entire process, which he clearly didn’t since the ball bounced away to Childress.

The only question at that point was whether it was an interception or incompletion. I’m biased, but I honestly thought the receiver had his hands under the ball the entire time at least enough that it was inconclusive and should have stood as called on the field, but the replay officials apparently decided there was a clear frame of the ball unsecured on the ground before he knocked it around some more. So frustrating to be that close to a game changing play and get it taken away.

But he never had possession. So he isn't down. The only question was if the ball hit the ground.
What I’m saying is it could only be incomplete which they called or a complete pass which would have been down on the spot. No way could it be a fumble or an interception. They got it right.

I think cowardly is a bit too strong. When you are on the losing end of games like this way too often, you tend to play not to lose which ends up resulting in a loss. If he went for and his QB gets sacked, he knows that he would be second guessed for the play. However, he should have made an endzone attempt. As the old saying goes, it is lonely at the top.
I think in the circumstances against Uga you gotta take chances to beat them, that scenario is one where you gotta take the chance to beat them. Either way the defense player their asses off and Kentucky got let down by the offense again.

Reactions: LmdCat
Ease up on paranoia. It was clearly the right call. Officials simply making the correct call on a review does not mean “they” are out to get us.
So they ignored a facemask where a player was nearly decapitated, and a PI, but yeah they made correct calls and went out of their way to make sure that call was reversed. I know it was the correct call. I'm just telling you. They weren't going to let it happen.

What I’m saying is it could only be incomplete which they called or a complete pass which would have been down on the spot. No way could it be a fumble or an interception. They got it right.
I hate to say it, but I agree with you. I think they got it right.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT