ADVERTISEMENT

Restaurants/bars in and around Lexington

YouKay

All-American
Gold Member
May 15, 2002
Doylestown, PA
I'll be in Lexington for the UK-UGA game and hanging around until possibly Tuesday for the Champions Classic in Indy. Have a couple of distillery tours lined up (Mr. YouKay has never been to one and is very excited). Lots of new restaurants and bars have opened since we spent any time in Lex. a few years ago. What are your favorites? We like all kinds of food and especially bourbon and craft beers. Have been to Malone's, Merrick Inn, and Ramsey's. Looking for other places. We will be staying in the Chevy Chase area Friday/Saturday and near Versailles Sunday/Monday, but will have a car, so location isn't an issue.

Thanks in advance!

I haven’t lived in Lexington in a while but still go back occasionally to visit. I know the downtown area has developed quite a bit since I left. If you’re looking for a place to eat and watch the game, Hop Cat in Victorian Square might be a good option. Good food/atmosphere for a game. If you’re just looking for a nice dinner besides the places you listed, Tony’s would probably be your best option. Dad’s Favorites is also my personal favorite place for a quick lunch, but it’s only open during the week. And winchell’s is good for the morning after a night of heavy drinking. I can’t speak for its qualities beyond that. Enjoy!

I'm going to the game Saturday; looking for places to go after on Saturday (assuming it's an afternoon game), also Sunday and possibly Monday.

If you’re going to be in Chevy Chase and you aren’t looking for fine dining you should consider Charlie Brown’s and Bourbon N Toulouse. Charlie Brown’s is just cool place to grab a meal. Has a bit of a speak easy feel to it. Nothing fancy but it’s really dark and you generally sit on sofas and eat on top of trunks. Bourbon N Toulouse is a Cajun place. It’s very reasonable and very good. All the other suggestions above are great, just thought I’d throw out a couple in the area you’re staying.

Reactions: ok-cats-computer
Sedona Taphouse is new in Palomar Centre. It’s on Harrodsburg road close to the airport. I haven’t been yet but have heard good things about it. They have over 500 craft beers. If I remember correctly, the menu looks similar in range of selections and priced similar to Malones.

For breakfast in the Chevy Chase area, Josie's is a great spot. It can get very busy on the weekend though. It's owned by the same owners of Merrick Inn. I used to work there though, so I'm biased.

Reactions: panchodan
Josie's is a definite for breakfast if you're gonna be staying in Chevy Chase area. Don't fight it, just go. You'll thank us. Wild Eggs is also another great breakfast place if y'all are up for driving to the outer part of Lexington on day.

All the other above suggestions, save Applebee's lol, are also rock solid. Sedona Taphouse as mentioned above is brand new, maybe someone on here has actually been. Can't second Pies and Pints enough....damn that place is delicious. Best pizza in town IMO.

Since you don't have any issue spending money, judging by your restaurant list from your last visit, I'd suggest heading out to The Summit. The wife will love the shopping options, and there is a plethora of restaurants out there. Every style of food under the sun is out there, and you've got some cheaper lunch options to some upper end fine dining and all manner of stuff in between. Just Google it.

If you're staying out in the Versailles area, it's really not a big deal to drive over to Georgetown Rd on New Circle and head outbound for the best BBQ in the city at Red State BBQ. If you're a BBQ guy, then it's a must.

A bit closer to Versailles itself is Wallace Station out Old Frankfort Pike. It's a cute revamped farmhouse with great breakfast and lunch, very affordale. Absolutely beautiful drive through prime Kentucky horse farm country, and the kind of lunch place the wife will love but has plenty of good, filling options for the dudes.

As always, if you want specific recommendations based on types of cuisine, just ask us and we can dial in some other options.

Reactions: Robcatt24
Sedona Taphouse is new in Palomar Centre. It’s on Harrodsburg road close to the airport. I haven’t been yet but have heard good things about it. They have over 500 craft beers. If I remember correctly, the menu looks similar in range of selections and priced similar to Malones.

My neighbors own Sedona Tap House. It’s PHENOMENAL. I don’t know about 500 craft beers but it’s a nice selection. The company was developed by former outback execs. Which carries a lot of weight in my book.
And less expensive than Malones.
I couldn’t endorse it strongly enough.

BTW the new Napa Prime on Broadway (former JDI location) is awesome too!

If you’re going to be in Chevy Chase and you aren’t looking for fine dining you should consider Charlie Brown’s and Bourbon N Toulouse. Charlie Brown’s is just cool place to grab a meal. Has a bit of a speak easy feel to it. Nothing fancy but it’s really dark and you generally sit on sofas and eat on top of trunks. Bourbon N Toulouse is a Cajun place. It’s very reasonable and very good. All the other suggestions above are great, just thought I’d throw out a couple in the area you’re staying.

I’m amazed that Charlie Brown’s is still there. Had many a date night there in high school and college. They made the best deep fried mushrooms in the world. Might have to stop by just to say hello.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT