ADVERTISEMENT

Regionals

Comebakatz3

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2008
I, like others, am refusing to watch, but I am keeping up with sscored. Washington is sticking it to UConn 6-1 in ther bottom of the 8th.

7-1 Final. Washington beats UConn.

Northeastern also losing to Auburn 3-0 early.

Auburn takes down Northeastern 10-3. Gonzaga takes out UCLA 4-2.

Texas Tech and UNC both won somewhat easily.

Tennessee Tech v. Missouri State is postponed.

Oklahoma beat Miss. State 20-10. Holy heck.

Well, supposedly UCLA came back and beat Gonzaga 6-5.

Big 12 having a good showing so far.

That Miss State game is crazy. Oklahoma went up 5-0 before Miss. State got on the board with 2 in the bottom of the 2nd. By the bottom of the 4th State was winning 9-7. They made it 10-7 before giving up 9 runs in the 7th and another 4 in the 9th. They threw Pilkington and he went just 3.1 and gave up 5 earned.

That Miss State game is crazy. Oklahoma went up 5-0 before Miss. State got on the board with 2 in the bottom of the 2nd. By the bottom of the 4th State was winning 9-7. They made it 10-7 before giving up 9 runs in the 7th and another 4 in the 9th. They threw Pilkington and he went just 3.1 and gave up 5 earned.
Yep, 20-10 Okies, real pitchers duel. OU without their top 2 players as well.

I wonder what went into the decision for who started the Auburn and Northeastern games. Neither started their Friday. Auburn started their Sunday guy and Northeastern their Saturday guy. The weird thing is that Northeastern and Auburn played a series earlier this year. Northeastern started the guy that Auburn destroyed in their early meeting. They could have started a guy, Mellen, that gave up just one run in 8 innings and got the win. Auburn started the guy today who lost that game, but he only gave up 2 runs in that one.

Not only is Northeastern no good, they are also dumb.

Louisville doing a good job beating the weakest automatic qualifier 3 seed of the tournament. Possibly the worst 3 seed in the tournament as a whole actually.

Some big upsets... Samford took down Florida State and Army took down NC State. Stanford and Wright State in a 3-3 tie in the bottom of the 9th.

Reactions: Black Diamond Cat
Wow... a two out double after a hbp to start the inning walked it off for Stanford in the 13th.

Yeah, I don't think they are going to get past NC State. I actually hope they get destroyed. Just further proof of how ridiculous it is for them to be in the tournament.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Miss State with a 3 run 2 out bot 9 walk off to eliminate FSU.

Campbell also destroying Duke 8-1. ACC not having the best weekend so far.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
And if I'm not mistaken they never led. Clearly they were really competitive.
To be fair and honest they were not the only ones that should have not gotten I ahead of us..not saying we should we should have gotten in ahead of them, but were they any less embarrassing than Puke along with 5-6 others?

To be fair and honest they were not the only ones that should have not gotten I ahead of us..not saying we should we should have gotten in ahead of them, but were they any less embarrassing than Puke along with 5-6 others?

Duke didn't show up at all, but they still have a chance to come back against Campbell. They are in a rain delay.

Give some credit though, Washington shouldn't have been in over us but they are walking through the Coastal Carolina regional.

"In a year where you can make a case that the league (SEC) has never been better..." - Chris Burke... unknowingly proving Brown Is The New Blue wrong once again.

They are talking about UK being left out on the Texas and Texas A&M broadcast. Not much said. Kyle Perterson just defended Ray Tanner as being a great ambassador for the sport and that he really cares about it. They also used Washington as a good proof that they did something right being that Washington has the highest RPI and they are in a regional final.

The interesting thing is that they could have put UK in and helped to continue waking up a sleeping giant. This year the anticipation was high for UK baseball and we had some of the highest regular season attendances in our history. Another post season this year would have enhanced that, especially if we advance past the regional. Add that with opening the new ballpark and interest in UK baseball could have exploded and it could have opened up a huge fanbase. That opportunity isn't gone or dead, but the iron was hot. That's just another little thing the committee didn't seem to think about... or maybe they did.

Duke coming back to compete with the Fighting Camels. Bases loaded. One out 6-8 top 9.

They are talking about UK being left out on the Texas and Texas A&M broadcast. Not much said. Kyle Perterson just defended Ray Tanner as being a great ambassador for the sport and that he really cares about it. They also used Washington as a good proof that they did something right being that Washington has the highest RPI and they are in a regional final.

The interesting thing is that they could have put UK in and helped to continue waking up a sleeping giant. This year the anticipation was high for UK baseball and we had some of the highest regular season attendances in our history. Another post season this year would have enhanced that, especially if we advance past the regional. Add that with opening the new ballpark and interest in UK baseball could have exploded and it could have opened up a huge fanbase. That opportunity isn't gone or dead, but the iron was hot. That's just another little thing the committee didn't seem to think about... or maybe they did.

Betting UK's surge in fan interest and attendance was not lost on at least one person in the committee room.

Betting UK's surge in fan interest and attendance was not lost on at least one person in the committee room.

I've typically said the NCAA is always about money. If you want more money then getting a fanbase like UKs to wake up to new sports is the way to go.

I know that everyone is disappointed about UK not getting in, however the guys have nobody but themselves to blame. They lost their last 5 games and allowed the committee to exclude them from the tournament. UK should have been chosen ahead of WAshington, Oklahoma State and Northeastern but when you give a bias committee an excuse to keep you out your are falling to their whims and bias. Ray Tanner should have looked out for the SEC but he had a grudge vs UK. It is important that Barnhart lobbies to get on the baseball committee as soon as possible. We don't need him on the basketball committee because our W-L record will always have us in there. These committees are full of politics and UK needs to learn from this unfair exclusion.

I know that everyone is disappointed about UK not getting in, however the guys have nobody but themselves to blame. They lost their last 5 games and allowed the committee to exclude them from the tournament. UK should have been chosen ahead of WAshington, Oklahoma State and Northeastern but when you give a bias committee an excuse to keep you out your are falling to their whims and bias. Ray Tanner should have looked out for the SEC but he had a grudge vs UK. It is important that Barnhart lobbies to get on the baseball committee as soon as possible. We don't need him on the basketball committee because our W-L record will always have us in there. These committees are full of politics and UK needs to learn from this unfair exclusion.

We did plenty to get in. Oklahoma State had won 2 games in the entire month of May and lost their last 6 and that didn't hurt them getting in.

We also had 5. FIVE pitchers injured for at least 4 of the last 5 games. Those were 3 of our four lowest ERA pitchers, including our closer. Also made up at least 35-40 percent of the innings pitched this year. That cannot be downplayed.

I put most of the blame on the coaching staff for some of the decision making this year that has resulted in us being excluded, but the committee was awful. No good reason was given for UK's exclusion except for conference record which goes against what every other NCAA committee has said each and every year. Look at Softball, they got in with a horrendous record b/c the committee knew that UK played a great OOC schedule and was one of the best teams.

Fast forward to baseball, the SEC is 13-2 as of this moment, so I"m not sure why UK's 13-17 record is such a disgrace to the almighty committee. Shameful work.

Bitter lesson for Ming and his staff,I’m sure he will do everything he can ,to avoid any possibility of a repeat!

Bitter lesson for Ming and his staff,I’m sure he will do everything he can ,to avoid any possibility of a repeat!
This past season there was room for optimism because of the return of Lewis, Thompson, Hjelle and a few everyday players. Next season all I see is Thompson so the staff has its work cut out for it.

6 ACC schools made the tournament with 4 of them hosting. So far, only one of those 6 is still in the winner's bracket and one of the hosts is eliminated. Not a great showing so far for the Atlantic Coastal.

I'm amazed Henderson is doing ok in post season play. At UK he would get too nervous and basically lock up and not be able to make decisions. Maybe because he knows he's on borrowed time he's less nervous.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT