ADVERTISEMENT

Reed talk to Z

uk78

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
I don't think Z is the greatest player we have ever had, but he quickly became one of the most loved by Big Blue Nation. Many of us were frustrated during the season with Cal once again not playing him or doing his historical coaching of trying to make him a back to the basket center. Of all the players that should be thrilled by Pope's offensive structure should be Z. Instead of trying to make Z into something he is not, Pope would accentuate his strengths in a system that features them. I don't think in the NBA Z will be a center but more likely a forward and again what better style to learn in college now with a big man coach who wants the outside shooting? So transferring for Z makes no sense. You just got your biggest lucky break so don't break it in two (like Paul McCartney might sing). I imagine Pope will have a sit down but it sure seemed that Z. trusted Reed and had some bond. Reed can share the facts I hope (and I am not convinced yet that Reed is going to the NBA now as well).

I don't think Z is the greatest player we have ever had, but he quickly became one of the most loved by Big Blue Nation. Many of us were frustrated during the season with Cal once again not playing him or doing his historical coaching of trying to make him a back to the basket center. Of all the players that should be thrilled by Pope's offensive structure should be Z. Instead of trying to make Z into something he is not, Pope would accentuate his strengths in a system that features them. I don't think in the NBA Z will be a center but more likely a forward and again what better style to learn in college now with a big man coach who wants the outside shooting? So transferring for Z makes no sense. You just got your biggest lucky break so don't break it in two (like Paul McCartney might sing). I imagine Pope will have a sit down but it sure seemed that Z. trusted Reed and had some bond. Reed can share the facts I hope (and I am not convinced yet that Reed is going to the NBA now as well).
Not sure why everyone wants Z back so bad. He can’t guard anyone, if he’s back he has to be a 4. You can’t be a 5 and not rebound or play a lick of defense and expect to win games.

Not sure why everyone wants Z back so bad. He can’t guard anyone, if he’s back he has to be a 4. You can’t be a 5 and not rebound or play a lick of defense and expect to win games.

Lol. Z is the kid you see at Purdue or UCONN in year 3 or 4. We saw a 19 year old kid play in about half a season. If that kid stays in college, he should be considered a must get. Defense can be taught.

Lol. Z is the kid you see at Purdue or UCONN in year 3 or 4. We saw a 19 year old kid play in about half a season. If that kid stays in college, he should be considered a must get. Defense can be taught.
Can effort? The only game he gave 100% was the one he was making shots

Reactions: TM2013

I dont think Z is a 3 or 4 year player though. If he has a better coach that knew how to utilize him he's probably a lotto pick this year.

His first D1 college game was in January. You’re still stuck on one and dones and that level of thinking. Z will be a good if not a great player for someone. If he ends up with Gonzaga, he could be a top 10 pick in next years draft in my opinion.

I don't know Z's thought process but I'd imagine he wants to make it to the NBA and he sees playing for Cal as the best way to make it happen. Obviously Cal misused him here and will continue to do so but maybe the connections/pull Cal has plays a factor. Also he's familiar with Cal as his coach. Other than that it seems like a colossal mistake and IMO he would thrive at UK in Pope's system.

I dont think Z is a 3 or 4 year player though. If he has a better coach that knew how to utilize him he's probably a lotto pick this year.
Z will not make it to the NBA lol. He is decent don’t get me wrong I’m not a hater, but he gets bullied by guards. Could u imagine Jokic posting him up? He’d be out for 15 games.

Reactions: TM2013
He was an 18 year old freshman adapting from the finesse European game. A year 2 Z with an additional 20-30lbs and a year under his belt combined with his skill set has a chance to be a superstar.

Z will not make it to the NBA lol. He is decent don’t get me wrong I’m not a hater, but he gets bullied by guards. Could u imagine Jokic posting him up? He’d be out for 15 games.
Yes, yes a fluid 7 ft 2" player that can stroke it from the outside could never make it in the NBA. (sarc)
He has played 4 months of college ball for crying out loud. I know after watching Calipari for nearly 15 seasons, one must think that players developing and getting stronger and better must be witchcraft or something.

IDK, To me we want players who want to be at UK.
I know Z has upside and would potentially do well in Popes system but several points about his D and rebounding are true.
I'd just as soon get someone more skilled. He didn't block many shots or score much around the basket.

Good kid. But I'd be ok getting someone more skilled that really want to be here.

I know Z has upside and would potentially do well in Popes system but several points about his D and rebounding are true.
I'd just as soon get someone more skilled. He didn't block many shots or score much around the basket.

Good kid. But I'd be ok getting someone more skilled that really want to be here.
He’s a nice addition, in no way do you center the team around Z even if he is the only kid to return.

Out of curiosity whose defense and rebounding at Kentucky this year was good?
We were severely uncoached.

Because Z has a disease that will never let him mature like Jokic did he will never get better or older. Sad.
It's almost like they are brainwashed or conditioned with the whole one and done system. They can't conceive of the concept of sticking around, and getting better and winning for the college you play at.
If they don't immediately look like a fully ready NBA prospect they don't want them. It childishly shortsighted IMO. Many will have to see a team of multi-year players with good coaching win here again before they can have the mental paradigm shift in their erroneous thinking.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
No chance Z gets any bigger the next several years. I mean look at AD, he’s pretty much the same build now that he was in 2012. I mean good grief, are you this clueless in all areas of life?

Yes, yes a fluid 7 ft 2" player that can stroke it from the outside could never make it in the NBA. (sarc)
He has played 4 months of college ball for crying out loud. I know after watching Calipari for nearly 15 seasons, one must think that players developing and getting stronger and better must be witchcraft or something.

And Calipari didn’t misuse Z. He didn’t want to showcase him for the country and Calipari’s plan last year was to force the alumni to witness less than stellar basketball and manipulate the season to waste Reed. He did just enough to screw it up and knew what he was doing. Calipari didn’t want UK wining anything on his way out. Just look at what he did with our brand, the new court, and a lazy approach to his job.

It’s why the guy is the most hated personality in the history of coaching.

I am far; far from the only person who believes this. There’s a reason he was forced out. The Memphis Missouri game from 07 is proof of what he does on his way out.

Last edited:
Z is a really fun player but in terms of winning games next season, I greatly prefer proven tough players who rebound and play defense like their hair is on fire. I would take Williams and probably Khalifa over Z every day of the week. Don't give a rats butt about pro potential.

No chance Z gets any bigger the next several years. I mean look at AD, he’s pretty much the same build now that he was in 2012. I mean good grief, are you this clueless in all areas of life?
You are joking right? Do you really believe that AD is the same size he was in 2012? Dude is huge compared to then. I swear, some of you are off your rocker.

He’s almost 35 pounds heavier and it is pure muscle. That is a huge difference.

KSR saying he's most likely going to Arkansas.

That tells me for all his BS Calipari knows the potential of Z and how valuable he can be next season.

Watching the BYU games on Youtube what struck me about the players is that they all stick their noses in there. Their default setting on rebounds was to assume they could get it. Would anyone here have said that about UK's players last season? Is that a coaching thing or a personality thing? I don't have a clue.

If Pope's going to be successful he's going to want his kind of players on the court. For all we know, Pope Coach isn't too upset about Z. Maybe he's already tried. Nobody here knows.

It’s not looking good. The portal is quickly thinning out. Kentucky has to rebuild its entire roster and doesn’t have a single
commit. I’m actually surprised we are wasting time with this press conference today. That man needs to be on a plane. We should be seeing staff hires by the am.

Chet Holmgren who is one inch shorter and weighs TWENTY-SIX pounds less than Z put 20-ppg/ 7-reb against Jokic, head to head and OKC won two of the three games they played against each other this year!!!!

Reactions: Girthang
It’s not looking good. The portal is quickly thinning out. Kentucky has to rebuild its entire roster and doesn’t have a single
commit. I’m actually surprised we are wasting time with this press conference today. That man needs to be on a plane. We should be seeing staff hires by the am.

A bit early for this doom and gloom.

Ummm, you have followed basketball only for a short time it looks like. AD has put on weight and muscle since leaving Uk. So much that he looks totally different now. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Reactions: Girthang

images

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT