ADVERTISEMENT

Reed and Travis Perry

Sep 20, 2018
With Reeds recent success on the floor, does that give anyone more confidence that TP would have similar success at UK? I’m not terribly familiar with TP, but from what I have seen he is a tremendous shooter and IMO would be an asset to the team.

I understand Reed and Perry are different players and different types of athletes but I still believe Perry could bring a skill set to the team.

Reactions: W1LDCAT22
With Reeds recent success on the floor, does that give anyone more confidence that TP would have similar success at UK? I’m not terribly familiar with TP, but from what I have seen he is a tremendous shooter and IMO would be an asset to the team.
Do you think we might wanna see more than just a few relaxed summer exhibitions before drawing conclusions about Shep? I love the sample I’ve seen too, but geez, some of y’all really seem to be jumping the gun with this kid. We haven’t seen him play in a single real game yet.

And just because two prospects are both white guards from Ky doesn’t mean they’re the same thing. I don’t think what Shep does tells us much about what Perry will do.

I really want Perry here. He's not as multi-talented as Sheppard, but he's the state's all-time leading scorer and he hasn't even played his senior year of high school. That said, right now, if I had to bet on him attending UK or another school, I'd have to take another school. 😐

Do you think we might wanna see more than just a few relaxed summer exhibitions before drawing conclusions about Shep? I love the sample I’ve seen too, but geez, some of y’all really seem to be jumping the gun with this kid. We haven’t seen him play in a single real game yet.

And just because two prospects are both white guards from Ky doesn’t mean they’re the same thing. I don’t think what Shep does tells us much about what Perry will do.

People are gonna jump the gun. People are gonna make excuses when he makes mistakes and has off games. We saw it in the finale n Canada when he wasn't first off the bench and People bitched and then he came n and turned it over 4 times asap and People were blaming other players or making excuses.

You didn't see any of the above when any of the other freshmen had off moments or games n Canada. My point is People are going to be biased in his favor and get used to it on here.

Get basketball players like Perry. No more super athletics who like playing basketball.
Travis would be great here if we stick with the open style.
Quit focusing on what they can’t do and more of what they do well. Shoot pass dribble and handle. Good team mates. Consistent. Want to be at UK because of the traditions and please no more mercenaries.

I think we absolutely want to see more than “a few relaxed summer league exhibitions”. But that’s not what’s available in July. And since the summer league exhibitions are what we have seen so far, that’s what we have to comment about. Not drawing any “conclusions”, just making conversation on a message board in July.

And as far as being white, who cares!? Some dumbass brought that up separate from the original post. I was only making the original post because Kentucky as a state doesn’t produce many major D1 players, and seeing Reeds small sample of success could give some confidence concerning Perry, who is from the same talent/competition pool.

I really want Perry here. He's not as multi-talented as Sheppard, but he's the state's all-time leading scorer and he hasn't even played his senior year of high school. That said, right now, if I had to bet on him attending UK or another school, I'd have to take another school. 😐
yea if you watch any of his interviews it does not sound like he grew up a die hard UK fan like Reed did
he said in an interview that he was a bandwagon fan of a few schools

Get basketball players like Perry. No more super athletics who like playing basketball.
Quit focusing on what they can’t do and more of what they do well. Shoot pass dribble and handle. Good team mates. Consistent. Want to be at UK because of the traditions and please no more mercenaries.
Well Kentucky offered him so if he wants to be at UK that’s up to him.

Honestly, how many QUALITY players want to be at schools "because of the traditions" anymore? Unfortunately, times have changed.

Different players, but Perry may be keeping an eye on whether or not the rural, local kid is given an equal chance for playing time with his higher profile classmates

I am guessing that majority of “fans” responding to this have been “UK Fans” with Calapari as coach. Don’t know who instilled Reed, Perry, Johnson…anybody from Kentucky can’t be good enough to play at UK.

Here is a fun fact for you. None of the 8 national championship teams have been without Kentuckians playing key roles.

You better hope Reed and hopefully
Perry and Johnson play at UK and play a key role in #9
and beyond.

I am guessing that majority of “fans” responding to this have been “UK Fans” with Calapari as coach. Don’t know who instilled Reed, Perry, Johnson…anybody from Kentucky can’t be good enough to play at UK.

Here is a fun fact for you. None of the 8 national championship teams have been without Kentuckians playing key roles.

You better hope Reed and hopefully
Perry and Johnson play at UK and play a key role in #9
and beyond.
Yes, but let's keep in mind that those championships were won when the talent in the state was much better.

Also, Darius Miller was one of the best in-state kids in the past 20 years. Dude was a consensus top 50 player and a Parade All-American. That's not normal for kids that graduate from the state of Kentucky.

Most kids that are high-major talent leave to play in states with better competition. (i.e. Rajon Rondo, D'Angelo Russell, Jasper Johnson, etc.)

Reactions: Fox2monk
The style of offense current Kentucky plays doesn't really favor a spot up shooter like maybe Perry is. He would be perfect for the Pitino Kentucky teams and I am sure he is waiting to see how Kentucky's offensive style is going to be with the new assistant coach. You can't go by what the exhibition games were like even though it was a good fit for him. Remember, the 2 inside players were out and Cal's offensive style history.

Why do you say those were relaxed exhibitions? What would lead you to that conclusion? Looked like to me to be a collection of individual basketball players who all had something to prove and were playing with the appropriate amount of intensity.

Now on to Reed it was very apparent that he is going to be a real nice player for us. He has the intelligent approach to the game and plenty of athletisicm along with a nice shot. Kids is obviously a good player and some folks don't have a hard time in seeing that right away.

Yes, but let's keep in mind that those championships were won when the talent in the state was much better.

Also, Darius Miller was one of the best in-state kids in the past 20 years. Dude was a consensus top 50 player and a Parade All-American. That's not normal for kids that graduate from the state of Kentucky.

Most kids that are high-major talent leave to play in states with better competition. (i.e. Rajon Rondo, D'Angelo Russell, Jasper Johnson, etc.)
Let’s keep in mind that my point still stands. They have never won one without Kentuckians playing a key role.

There maybe less in numbers recently but Reed has proven in the all-star circuits and in Canada that he is player…even if he is from Ky. And before we wait til we see him play against Kansas, what are you going to say when he excels on that stage.

As Vitale, who I don’t particular like said, no way he is not a 5 star.

Let’s keep in mind that my point still stands. They have never won one without Kentuckians playing a key role.

There maybe less in numbers recently but Reed has proven in the all-star circuits and in Canada that he is player…even if he is from Ky. And before we wait til we see him play against Kansas, what are you going to say when he excels on that stage.

Reed is also not the typical in-state kid. The last kid from the state to be a McDonald's All-American was Scotty Hopson, 15 years ago.

May be another reason we have just won 4 in the last 65 years as well.

Exactly, fundamentals win games, not touching the top of the square

From the way he said he’s a bandwagon fan his whole life, that doesn’t bleed Blue to me at all. Sheppard bleeds blue and he’s here like he should be. Perry feels like a UofL player to me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT