ADVERTISEMENT

Reed and Travis Perry

Reed is an elite athlete and Perry is not. With that being said though, Perry is one heck of a basketball player. Give him space and he's going to knock it down. I think both could contribute.

From the way he said he’s a bandwagon fan his whole life, that doesn’t bleed Blue to me at all. Sheppard bleeds blue and he’s here like he should be. Perry feels like a UofL player to me.
What stood out to me in the article where he mentioned being a bandwagon fan was his repeated references to a coach "playing the right way".
I took that as he and his dad prefer the more fundamental approach of someone like Painter.
Seems like he's still interested in Ole Miss and wanting to get to know Chris Beard better.
Don't know if the dad has ties to Indiana and grew up on Knight/Keady but Travis does play for Indiana Elite and IU is supposedly in the mix.
I agree with others that if he wanted to be here, he would have already committed.
Probably wants to be a #1 priority recruit and that's not happening at UK because he would have to be like Reed and be willing to come in with a couple of other highly rated guards.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Perry is ok but I’d rather have Trent Noah. In-state prospect, is 6’8”, strong kid, unlimited range, plays on the same AAU team Sheppard did, & has offers from schools like Cal, Butler, & South Carolina.

Why? If we don't sign the states all time leading scorer, that's just stupid, IMO.
Leading scorer of the Like 46th ranked state in Basketball. Allen from Trinity a few years ago wasn't ready for the SEC either. High accolades from Kentucky high school basketball usually doesn't translate to major college basketball. From what I've noticed. Minus a few exceptions, and I don't think Perry falls into the few exceptions category. I'm no recruiter though. What do I know. I could be wrong.

Perry is ok but I’d rather have Trent Noah. In-state prospect, is 6’8”, strong kid, unlimited range, plays on the same AAU team Sheppard did, & has offers from schools like Cal, Butler, & South Carolina.
Why not both? Good multi year core guys.

Core returners is what we have missing and talented in state developing players would be even better. Than supplement them with a couple stars.

Leading scorer of the Like 46th ranked state in Basketball. Allen from Trinity a few years ago wasn't ready for the SEC either. High accolades from Kentucky high school basketball usually doesn't translate to major college basketball. From what I've noticed. Minus a few exceptions, and I don't think Perry falls into the few exceptions category. I'm no recruiter though. What do I know. I could be wrong.
Allen from Trinity
he was from Cynthiana

It sounds like Purdue is in a good spot with Travis Perry with academics and everything. Perry even plays for the Indy Elite AAU team that seems sort of affiliated with Purdue.

Allen was from
Allen was from Pendleton County not Trinity. Cmon man.

I’m beginning to wonder if you’re a UK fan? More of a ul Russdickulis fan?

I dont care what you rank our state in HS basketball. We should grab 1 kid from the state every year or two. Beats the hell out of some of these walk-on's we get because their dad knows Cal. And we always have available scholarships every year.

What stood out to me in the article where he mentioned being a bandwagon fan was his repeated references to a coach "playing the right way".
I took that as he and his dad prefer the more fundamental approach of someone like Painter.
Seems like he's still interested in Ole Miss and wanting to get to know Chris Beard better.
Don't know if the dad has ties to Indiana and grew up on Knight/Keady but Travis does play for Indiana Elite and IU is supposedly in the mix.
I agree with others that if he wanted to be here, he would have already committed.
Probably wants to be a #1 priority recruit and that's not happening at UK because he would have to be like Reed and be willing to come in with a couple of other highly rated guards.
You can't get more fundamental teaching that what you can get from Cal.

And if he's a prima donna like you describe UK doesn't need him.

I've seen him play live. He's good. But he doesn't jump out like he's UK good. I saw Chapman in high school. There was no doubt. I saw Goose and James Lee in high school. There was no doubt.

I saw Josh Carrier in high school. Plenty of doubt. I saw Brandon Stockton in high school. Doubt there too.

The can't miss are easy to spot. I saw Patrick Sparks many times in high school. One of the few times I agreed with Tubby on not recruiting him. But once he got to UK he proved he belonged. Maybe Perry is like that? Difference is Sparks wanted to go to UK from the time he picked up a basketball. Doesn't appear Perry has that drive to play for UK.

Travis Ford was like that. They begged Sutton to offer. As soon as Pitino was hired they started contacting Pitino to transfer.

If a marginal UK recruit has that kind of desire to play for UK then they will overcome some short comings.

From every description of Perry he does not possess that desire.

I dont care what you rank our state in HS basketball. We should grab 1 kid from the state every year or two. Beats the hell out of some of these walk-on's we get because their dad knows Cal. And we always have available scholarships every year.
Walk-ons and scholarships are two completely different stories. If the Jarrod Polsons, Cameron Mills, and Ravi Moss's are willing to walk-on, I'm all about it. However, we had enough of the in-state "talent" when Tubby was here. People love to bring up Chris Lofton and Darius Miller, but never bring up Josh Carrier, Jared Carter, Jon Hood, etc.

The kid also has to be willing to come here.

If they're a 3 star then they're getting legitimate offers elsewhere to come play and eventually start, while here he'd be a glorified practice player and maybe see the court his junior and senior year.

I am pleasantly surprised if that is true. I g
I am pleasantly surprised if that is true. I heard the opposite. If this were the the Coach Rupp or Hall era, which I know it is not, they'd already have him and Johnson committed. I know I know I know. That is not how it works these days. I am glad you clarified on Travis. If they are really recruiting him and it is sincere, then I have no doubt he will be a Wildcat. I hope you are correct.

Well in fairness, he did say " what do I know"

Allen was from

Allen was from Pendleton County not Trinity. Cmon man.

I’m beginning to wonder if you’re a UK fan? More of a ul Russdickulis fan?
No dude. I dont know why I thought that. That was ridiculous. My bad. I was just looking it up. I was wrong. Sorry bout that. I was going off memory. I could have swore he wore green and white at Trinity.

Reactions: Kybluedude
Walk-ons and scholarships are two completely different stories. If the Jarrod Polsons, Cameron Mills, and Ravi Moss's are willing to walk-on, I'm all about it. However, we had enough of the in-state "talent" when Tubby was here. People love to bring up Chris Lofton and Darius Miller, but never bring up Josh Carrier, Jared Carter, Jon Hood, etc.
To me it's a slap in the face to compare a player with Travjs Perry's abilities to walk ons and Carrier, Carter and Hood. It's odd that many players from the Western part of the state get looked over. I can think of several from Marshall Co., Hopkinsville area, Owensboro etc. that played in the SEC and ACC. Dan Langi (sp) played at Vandy. As did Dan Hall, Bennie Goheen. Players from Hopkinville area played for ND, UT, Duke. Think you get the point, UK made token efforts. I'm not saying Perry would be a star at any program but he's the type of player ever program should want. I imagine most commenting haven't seen him play, or just a couple of times. There's plenty of film of all types of competition if your interested. If you don't think they're familiar with the recruitment of those and others not mentioned above, I assure you your wrong.

Reactions: rivercatinfl
To me it's a slap in the face to compare a player with Travjs Perry's abilities to walk ons and Carrier, Carter and Hood. It's odd that many players from the Western part of the state get looked over. I can think of several from Marshall Co., Hopkinsville area, Owensboro etc. that played in the SEC and ACC. Dan Langi (sp) played at Vandy. As did Dan Hall, Bennie Goheen. Players from Hopkinville area played for ND, UT, Duke. Think you get the point, UK made token efforts. I'm not saying Perry would be a star at any program but he's the type of player ever program should want. I imagine most commenting haven't seen him play, or just a couple of times. There's plenty of film of all types of competition if your interested. If you don't think they're familiar with the recruitment of those and others not mentioned above, I assure you your wrong.
Hood is an apt comparison. Hood was Ky Mr Basketball. Way athletic than Perry. And taller. Hood wanted to play for UK. Tubby didn't recruit him hard. BCG did. Had he not been injured Hood could have played some munites here. He was never going to be a star and he knew it. He was accepting of that. If Perry is like what he's portraying and wants to be a star at UK then he needs to get over it and go elsewhere. But who knows if those stories are true? They seem to be spread by the CHC.

Bring up our title teams that had Kentucky kids are key pieces while you're at it.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Bring up our title teams that had Kentucky kids are key pieces while you're at it.
Those players are from an era when the in-state competition was a lot better. NBA success should not be the measuring stick for a player. However, the fact that there is currently no one in the league that graduated from a Kentucky high school is pretty telling as to the competition level in the state.

FWIW, I'm not anti-Kentucky kids. I hope Travis Perry signs with UK and is the second coming of Steph Curry.

Reactions: HYTCHYE ISLAND
Those players are from an era when the in-state competition was a lot better. NBA success should not be the measuring stick for a player. However, the fact that there is currently no one in the league that graduated from a Kentucky high school is pretty telling as to the competition level in the state.

FWIW, I'm not anti-Kentucky kids. I hope Travis Perry signs with UK and is the second coming of Steph Curry.

Nobody said the kid had to sign here to come start. He can turn into a quality role player, and he might even stay since he has an affinity for UK. We've tried the 4 star route from other states. They leave after a year or two. Give me a Dominique Hawkins.

Don’t forget Bobby Warren from Carlisle County who starred at Vandy.

Nobody said the kid had to sign here to come start. He can turn into a quality role player, and he might even stay since he has an affinity for UK. We've tried the 4 star route from other states. They leave after a year or two. Give me a Dominique Hawkins.
I think with the transfer portal nowadays, the 4 year role player is tough as hell to come by. But, I'm with you in that if you're going to give an offer a 4 star kid, offer the kid from Kentucky, which we did.

Don’t forget Bobby Warren from Carlisle County who starred at Vandy.
Bobby was a great player, I played against him, he actually played for South Marshall prior to consolidation to Marsha Co. There were also players from Mayfield that starred at Vandy.

I think with the transfer portal nowadays, the 4 year role player is tough as hell to come by. But, I'm with you in that if you're going to give an offer a 4 star kid, offer the kid from Kentucky, which we did.

Kid is a 4 star, rated top 100 nationally. Most points ever scored in the state. I think we have to take a flier on him.

6 2 sharpshooter. If you want UK to play a more open spaced offense he’s perfect. Coach’s kid. Knows the game. Can dribble pass and shoot. Calm clutch guy. Fine young guy. Hard worker-competitor.

Another instate kid who is a great role model. Would be a popular player.

Much rather pull for him than some mercenary. Would be part of a great multi year core group of developing players. We need both a core group to bring experience and a couple stars.

I think he’s waiting to see if Cal sticks with multiple shooters and an updated offense that values multi skilled basketball players like we saw in Canada. Also how does Reed fare in this “ new” system.

Don’t blame him for waiting. He’s not going to want to be parked in the corner like Grady as the only shooter on the floor with 4 super athletic dribble drive players that don’t have passing skills or spacing. That’s just not his game.

6 2 sharpshooter. If you want UK to play a more open spaced offense he’s perfect. Coach’s kid. Knows the game. Can dribble pass and shoot. Calm clutch guy. Fine young guy. Hard worker-competitor.

Another instate kid who is a great role model. Would be a popular player.

Much rather pull for him than some mercenary. Would be part of a great multi year core group of developing players. We need both a core group to bring experience and a couple stars.

I think he’s waiting to see if Cal sticks with multiple shooters and an updated offense that values multi skilled basketball players like we saw in Canada. Also how does Reed fare in this “ new” system.

Don’t blame him for waiting. He’s not going to want to be parked in the corner like Grady as the only shooter on the floor with 4 super athletic dribble drive players that don’t have passing skills or spacing. That’s just not his game.
We've had some multi year guys during our down times post covid, and everyone crapped on them

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT