ADVERTISEMENT

Reds

Thought it was just me but noticed in the 9th when the Reds tied, despite the heroics, the dugout was just blah. Lo and behold Lecure noticed it too, as if they were saying: "That's nice but it's just postponing the inevitable." Looks like the team has adopted the FO's don't give a shit attitude.

Thought it was just me but noticed in the 9th when the Reds tied, despite the heroics, the dugout was just blah. Lo and behold Lecure noticed it too, as if they were saying: "That's nice but it's just postponing the inevitable." Looks like the team has adopted the FO's don't give a shit attitude.
We have noticed the same in our family too watching the Reds. Terrible attitude to have for the majority of them who should be playing for their careers in MLB and auditioning for other teams too. I vehemently disagree with anyone who says Castellanos was a cancer in the locker room and have read this comment. He gave this team an edge and need more people like him to rally around. Instead, you have lazy sacks of shit like Moustakas just mailing it in at nearly $20 million to sit on his ass. Some leader right there. It goes beyond the dugout as you said. It's a cultural thing from the top that trickles down with the 'leadership' from the FO.

We have noticed the same in our family too watching the Reds. Terrible attitude to have for the majority of them who should be playing for their careers in MLB and auditioning for other teams too. I vehemently disagree with anyone who says Castellanos was a cancer in the locker room and have read this comment. He gave this team an edge and need more people like him to rally around. Instead, you have lazy sacks of shit like Moustakas just mailing it in at nearly $20 million to sit on his ass. Some leader right there. It goes beyond the dugout as you said. It's a cultural thing from the top that trickles down with the 'leadership' from the FO.
Noticed the same thing with Senzel, seldom see anybody around him in the dugout. People avoid him like the plague.

Noticed the same thing with Senzel, seldom see anybody around him in the dugout. People avoid him like the plague.
I've heard from fans when he was coming up in the ranks in the Reds organization who watched him play that his fan interactions were unpleasant. A sorry attitude won't get you anywhere in life.

Reactions: mrschwump
I've heard from fans when he was coming up in the ranks in the Reds organization who watched him play that his fan interactions were unpleasant. A sorry attitude won't get you anywhere in life.
I had a longtime friend, now deceased, who was a ML scout of amateur players for years. He told me once that when he would go to see a HS or college player, he'd try to position himself where he could see into the dugout. He wanted to see what kind of team mate a guy was, what did he do if he K'd or gave up a HR? Of course, he still timed guys on bases, a catcher's pop time or a pitcher's velocity but he was also interested in how he treated others or they him. He said he could tell if this was some guy he wanted in his organization. Watch Kyle Farmer in the dugout, the guy just oozes professionalism.

Last edited:
I had a longtime friend, now deceased, who was a ML scout of amateur players for years. He told me once that when he would go to see a HS or college player, he'd try to position himself where he could see into the dugout. He wanted to see what kind of team mate a guy was, what did he do if he K'd or gave up a HR? Of course, he still timed guys on bases, a catcher's pop time or a pitcher's velocity but he was also interested in how he treated others of they him. He said he could tell if this was some guy he wanted in his organization. Watch Kyle Farmer in the dugout, the guy just oozes professionalism.
A very important quality right there in leadership how they carry themselves. Farmer is a great example of a guy playing above his talent level, a leader with solid production on the field and every team needs a glue guy like him. He's surpassed my expectations as a player and crazy how he is the only one left from the trade with LA. Hopefully the Reds scouts have seen some of this in the players that they have acquired in recent years.

Noticed MLB Network changed their narrative on Cleveland. Said they were losers at the trade deadline for not being a buyer or seller. Mentioned how they are trusting their farm system and how it has gotten them to this point.

A very important quality right there in leadership how they carry themselves. Farmer is a great example of a guy playing above his talent level, a leader with solid production on the field and every team needs a glue guy like him. He's surpassed my expectations as a player and crazy how he is the only one left from the trade with LA. Hopefully the Reds scouts have seen some of this in the players that they have acquired in recent years.

Noticed MLB Network changed their narrative on Cleveland. Said they were losers at the trade deadline for not being a buyer or seller. Mentioned how they are trusting their farm system and how it has gotten them to this point.
Cleveland's helped having Terry Francona in the dugout, guy's a winner.

Last Reds minor league team still playing, Louisville, completed their season Wed.....30 games under .500. Dayton was only Reds minor league team that finished with a winning record.

Cleveland's helped having Terry Francona in the dugout, guy's a winner.
I don't think it is any coincidence that the only year they went under .500 is when he stepped away from the team with heath issues. A really dumb decision by the Red Sox to fire him. Always wish he had come back to the Reds as a manager when he was available.

After what's going on with the Phoenix Sun's owner, is anybody secretly hoping one of the Castellini's pop off and say something inappropriate?

Mets, starting a winner take all weekend series with NLE on the line, has called up their #1 prospect, a 20 year old. Reds meanwhile, hoping to avoid an embarrassing, humiliating 100 loss season continues to slow drag their top prospect(s) while wondering if they ever score over 2 runs in a game again. Sick.

Mets, starting a winner take all weekend series with NLE on the line, has called up their #1 prospect, a 20 year old. Reds meanwhile, hoping to avoid an embarrassing, humiliating 100 loss season continues to slow drag their top prospect(s) while wondering if they ever score over 2 runs in a game again. Sick.
20 years old on a team going to win 100 games leading their division and yet we have multiple 24 year olds in the lower levels of the farm system...But the Reds don't promote slow. A gem by Ashcraft today. They may as well forfeit the rest of the games because these guys are already packed up thinking about the offseason.

Reds have to be concerned about Ashcraft. Last rehab start he gave up 11 hits/8 runs in less than 3IP. Since rejoining the Reds he's failed to get into the 4th and has been hammered. Might be time to shut him down for the year, think he's scheduled to pitch the last game next Wed.

Did I hear that right, Reds have scored 2 runs or less in 18 straight games? If I'm the hitting coach don't think I'd sign a rent extension on my apartment.

They scored 5 in a win vs Boston on the 21st, a few games with 3 but Alan Zinter should have been shit canned after the 2020 season. There has been no offensive development to crow about in any of our hitters and have done nothing to progress. Bounce back game by Overton today. Long term I am not worried about the Reds pitching but the lack of offensive weapons scares the hell out of me. It's only going to get uglier. This season can't end soon enough.

2023 could be worse as long as the Reds lack any gumption to win and don't see players like Williamson, ELDC, CES, Roa or McLain debut. It's amazing the FO is hardly ever present to the media to be questioned what they are afraid of holding their feet to the fire about the delay in moving along top prospects busting down doors to get to the MLB level. The only appearances they make are in the booth rarely and get their asses kissed lobbing softball questions throughout the interview.

They scored 5 in a win vs Boston on the 21st, a few games with 3 but Alan Zinter should have been shit canned after the 2020 season. There has been no offensive development to crow about in any of our hitters and have done nothing to progress. Bounce back game by Overton today. Long term I am not worried about the Reds pitching but the lack of offensive weapons scares the hell out of me. It's only going to get uglier. This season can't end soon enough.

2023 could be worse as long as the Reds lack any gumption to win and don't see players like Williamson, ELDC, CES, Roa or McLain debut. It's amazing the FO is hardly ever present to the media to be questioned what they are afraid of holding their feet to the fire about the delay in moving along top prospects busting down doors to get to the MLB level. The only appearances they make are in the booth rarely and get their asses kissed lobbing softball questions throughout the interview.
First of the year they traded away like 60 HRs/300 RBIs then wonder why they can't score. 🤡

First of the year they traded away like 60 HRs/300 RBIs then wonder why they can't score. 🤡
My biggest complaint with those early season trades was not acquiring any bats close to being Major League ready. Now you get a bunch of infielders this summer who can hit but no plan to immediately convert the logjam of shortstops to the outfield. You're looking at a situation of too many chiefs and not enough indians unless something gives. I know I'm beating a dead horse but refusing to call up ELDC this year and CES having a better season is going to set this team behind as we continue to see 20-year old phenoms debut for contenders all across the league.

Here's one the Reds & Giants really dropped the ball on. Kevin Gausman, 12 wins, 3.30 ERA and 5th in the AL in strikeouts with 201. Picked him up off the waiver wire and was solid in 2 months for the Reds. Helped carry the Giants pitching staff in their 107 win season. Neither team offered him a contract and is now helping the Blue Jays right before the postseason starts. It's these little moves the Reds can't afford to let go as a small market team. It's not like Kevin all of a sudden learned how to pitch once leaving Cincinnati. He had some good years with Baltimore.

My biggest complaint with those early season trades was not acquiring any bats close to being Major League ready. Now you get a bunch of infielders this summer who can hit but no plan to immediately convert the logjam of shortstops to the outfield. You're looking at a situation of too many chiefs and not enough indians unless something gives. I know I'm beating a dead horse but refusing to call up ELDC this year and CES having a better season is going to set this team behind as we continue to see 20-year old phenoms debut for contenders all across the league.
Thought a huge misstep made by the Reds was not using September as an early ST. Jettison dead weight, bring in young guys for ABs/IP. Missed opportunity....unless Reds look upon '23 as a repeat of '22 which wouldn't surprise me at all. Should be noted that Reds AAA team finished 30 games below .500. Think only Reds High A and Arizona League team finished above .500. Just pitiful.

Here's one the Reds & Giants really dropped the ball on. Kevin Gausman, 12 wins, 3.30 ERA and 5th in the AL in strikeouts with 201. Picked him up off the waiver wire and was solid in 2 months for the Reds. Helped carry the Giants pitching staff in their 107 win season. Neither team offered him a contract and is now helping the Blue Jays right before the postseason starts. It's these little moves the Reds can't afford to let go as a small market team. It's not like Kevin all of a sudden learned how to pitch once leaving Cincinnati. He had some good years with Baltimore.
Instead Reds do things like pass on a pro like Gausman.....and sign the brother of Reds Director of Player Development, career minor leaguer who produced predictable results. Good god.

Arizona Fall League opens Mon, Oct 3, and runs about 6 weeks. Reds have 6-7 players playing for Glendale. Lots of info online.

Arizona Fall League opens Mon, Oct 3, and runs about 6 weeks. Reds have 6-7 players playing for Glendale. Lots of info online.
Noticed Marte at 3B, McLain at SS with no apparent plan of transitioning to a position of need any time soon. Hinds in RF but he's one I'm not sold on. Another top prospect with an underwhelming season this year.

Shortstop isn't a position of need? Barrero has been awful.
I'm not going to debate this with you again. Everyone here knows this organization has a plethora of shortstops and a void in quality outfielders.
Elly De La Cruz likely our SS at some point in 2023 and the long term future.
Arroyo SS
McLain SS
Marte SS
Acosta SS
Torres SS
Cabrera SS
Johnson SS
Can only play one at once.
Barrero SS
Farmer SS
Steer also played SS coming up

Last edited:
Not even a Reds fan lol but that doesn't show much balance in the farm system. Cincinnati will continue to be the laughing stock drafting like that. Even more hilarious they wanted the Yankees top 2 SS prospects Volpe & Peraza.

I'm not going to debate this with you again. Everyone here knows this organization has a plethora of shortstops and a void in quality outfielders.
Elly De La Cruz likely our SS at some point in 2023 and the long term future.
Arroyo SS
McLain SS
Marte SS
Acosta SS
Torres SS
Cabrera SS
Johnson SS
Can only play one at once.
Barrero SS
Farmer SS
Steer also played SS coming up
Are you under the assumption that every single one of those prospects you named is going to be MLB quality shortstops?

Are you under the assumption that every single one of those prospects you named is going to be MLB quality shortstops?
I figured this would be your retort. Say half of these guys don't even sniff the big leagues, what are you going to do with the rest? I would counter and say under what assumption are you that guys like ELDC, McLain, Marte, Arroyo are all going to be busts? Easily one of them could just as one of the lower level prospects could shock us all and be a 10-year + contributor in MLB. All of the ones I mentioned seem like locks to make it to the MLB level so what is the grand plan once they get here?

I figured this would be your retort. Say half of these guys don't even sniff the big leagues, what are you going to do with the rest? I would counter and say under what assumption are you that guys like ELDC, McLain, Marte, Arroyo are busts? All seem like locks to make it to the MLB level so what is the grand plan once they get here?
Arroyo is 19 and hasn't played above low-A, so I don't view him on the same level as the others at this point. If he's in the conversation by the summer then the Reds have a great problem. Marte is also a lock to move off SS, likely to 3B, so we're really talking about ELDC and McLain.

Jose Barrero had a 5 wRC+ coming into tonight's game and is hitting like .156. I like his glove but if he can't hit better than that, he's not the answer. With that in mind, would you move McLain to the OF in the fall league knowing there's a chance he could be the SS next year?

For the record, I think ELDC would be an excellent outfielder. But I don’t blame the Reds for not moving him around yet until SS is figured out at the big league level.

Arroyo is 19 and hasn't played above low-A, so I don't view him on the same level as the others at this point. If he's in the conversation by the summer then the Reds have a great problem. Marte is also a lock to move off SS, likely to 3B, so we're really talking about ELDC and McLain.

Jose Barrero had a 5 wRC+ coming into tonight's game and is hitting like .156. I like his glove but if he can't hit better than that, he's not the answer. With that in mind, would you move McLain to the OF in the fall league knowing there's a chance he could be the SS next year?
I haven't seen any reason to suspect Arroyo does not make it at the MLB level though he's a few years off. The Reds have not given any indication that ELDC is not going to be the SS outside of a handful of starts at 2B/3B. I most definitely would move McLain to LF. Look at Jeff McNeil with the Mets, 2B/3B & OF, Trevor Story as well as Kris Bryant was a 3B/OF/1B for the Cubs to name a few examples. Is it really that much to ask to get some real position versatility between the IF/OF for our better prospects in the pipeline? Not talking about sliding over to 3rd or 2B.

If the Reds ever get serious about contending (meaning they keep India, ELDC, Steer, Marte, McLain, Arroyo) they just took two 3B with their 1st 2 picks in the '22 Draft. Someone will have to transition. No doubt the Reds won't keep all and trade some of them away. However, can't go about building your team on a trade that hasn't been made yet.

I would most definitely keep Kyle Farmer on this team until both McLain & ELDC are ready at the MLB level. He's cheap and not going to play any more for a contending team. IMO ELDC is further along and more likely to make his MLB debut the way he is beating down doors to get to the Reds over a McLain or Marte at this time.

Last edited:
For the record, I think ELDC would be an excellent outfielder. But I don’t blame the Reds for not moving him around yet until SS is figured out at the big league level.
Also believe he would be a great outfielder as well and know others that think he could be too. His athleticism and thought he would be the natural fit to transition to the OF similar to Billy Hamilton from SS. Going back to what I was saying above, the Reds haven't shown any indication of ELDC transitioning to the OF so it appears he will be given every opportunity to succeed at the MLB level as a SS. I had hopes of him learning the OF in the 2nd half, maybe play some in the AFL as well as ST and possibly be ready to head north with Cincinnati on Opening Day.

I disagree with the Reds approach of not having more prospects getting outfield reps coming up in the minor leagues like they did with Billy learning to play CF instead of at the MLB level as Senzel & Barrero have. Even with Billy it wasn't until he spent the majority of the 2013 season in AAA learning the outfield. Hopefully this approach changes soon. As for now, missing opportunities to develop within the pipeline which is where it should be happening for some of the 'locks' to make the MLB level outside of a Rece Hinds while dealing with injuries.

Just want to see more position diversity is all. Nothing saying that a SS learning to play another position has to stay in the outfield or wherever on the field. Shortstops are usually the most versatile/athletic players on the roster with their range. With the Reds depth at SS in the farm system and holes throughout the roster outside of India at 2B, Stephenson at catcher for now there's plenty of room to learn another position to help this team win now and go back to the natural position SS if needed.

Last edited:
Good company to be in. Rookie year went as I expected from the start of the season. None of those other guys were rookies either when they accomplished this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT