ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

Jordan can fill in fine but like think Boogie is the better athlete currently looking for a permanent spot on the field regardless of who was on the depth chart.
Just be prepared to eat those words. FWIW, Jordan Wright will be seen a year from now as 1 of the best young football players on our defensive unit. His upside is unlimited. Wright and Yusuf Corker are the best kept secrets on our roster right now, but Nick Saban wanted both.

Just be prepared to eat those words. FWIW, Jordan Wright will be seen a year from now as 1 of the best young football players on our defensive unit. His upside is unlimited. Wright and Yusuf Corker are the best kept secrets on our roster right now, but Nick Saban wanted both.

If Saban wanted them they are probably good enough to play at UK, lol.

Well....
Even Saban misses. Elam. Will Mac Jones ever see meaningful action?

Didn't Mac Jones have a great spring game at Bama, or am I thinking of someone else? We have a few out there, lol, shows what another decade of doing NOTHING extra for football does to your program, we really need a BIG year this year with a lot of draft choices. Gran will soon be making more that Brooks did after eight excellent years on the job, Stoops more than four times as much.

And I think we have a good chance of having BOTH a big year AND a lot of draft picks coming up.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Well....
Even Saban misses. Elam. Will Mac Jones ever see meaningful action?

Jones is a talented guy, but he is coming through college when the hot prospects are the dual threat guys. They put so much more pressure on the defenses. Pro style QBs will always be around, but most teams want the DT guys now. Jones is probably more talented than a couple of Bama QBs with NC rings.

Agree. All coaches miss. That’s why there are 85 scholarships to cover 22 starting positions.
This upcoming year will tell the tell... Yes he has been instrumental in getting us in the arms race..... But the excuses are over... Do not want to continue to hear the same Ole post game quotes... "Will get it fixed" or "WE just have to get back to work" This is the VERY first year during his tenure that I have not been singing from the mountain.., that this year is the year... The 9-10 win year... Been waiting 41 years.... 1977... The time is now! I am affraid though that 4-5 wins is closer than 9-10.. I hope not or that huge buyout (ridiculous, second only to Saban) for a coach who essentially went from District Manager to CEO... AND the results are not what I would expect.. In game decisions and adjustments along g with the DOWN WARD spiral of the much talked about secondary... I hope I am wrong.. But I really believe the light which was starting to get brighter may be dimming g which is Stoops Troops..

Reactions: cashisking884
This upcoming year will tell the tell... Yes he has been instrumental in getting us in the arms race..... But the excuses are over... Do not want to continue to hear the same Ole post game quotes... "Will get it fixed" or "WE just have to get back to work" This is the VERY first year during his tenure that I have not been singing from the mountain.., that this year is the year... The 9-10 win year... Been waiting 41 years.... 1977... The time is now! I am affraid though that 4-5 wins is closer than 9-10.. I hope not or that huge buyout (ridiculous, second only to Saban) for a coach who essentially went from District Manager to CEO... AND the results are not what I would expect.. In game decisions and adjustments along g with the DOWN WARD spiral of the much talked about secondary... I hope I am wrong.. But I really believe the light which was starting to get brighter may be dimming... which is Stoops Troops..

IMO the primary reason for the failure of the defense to not have performed better is that, defensive line is the one position that Stoops has not recruited any better than Joker and probably not has good as Brooks. The D-line is the foundation of the defense and a weak foundation cannot be overcome by a great structure on top of it.

I do think that the failure of Elam to develop into the type of player they had hoped was an enormous blow to the progress of the defense. The nose tackle is the king pin of the 3/4. But he is just one player and the failure to bring in other SEC caliber nose tackles and DTs has been the root of the problem. I do think that is changing with players like Bohanna, Paschal and Hawkins and I'm encouraged that this year's D-line will show marked improvement.
Exactly, you are 100% correct,until we recruit better defensive lineman or develop them, we will never have an SEC defense. its tough to out score the good teams.

Exactly, you are 100% correct,until we recruit better defensive lineman or develop them, we will never have an SEC defense. its tough to out score the good teams.

It looks like to me we are well down that road to having a good D line, whether it is recruiting top talent (Paschal and McCall) or finding and developing under rated talent, Bohanna, Taylor, and several very good prospects we were fortunate enough to be able to redshirt. If Josh Allen does go in the first round it will attract a lot of attention, as well as several other higher rated players that are going to make it. Snell could top Allen's story, not to mention others coming up.

Jones is a talented guy, but he is coming through college when the hot prospects are the dual threat guys. They put so much more pressure on the defenses. Pro style QBs will always be around, but most teams want the DT guys now. Jones is probably more talented than a couple of Bama QBs with NC rings.

Here are his stats from the spring game, not really a fan of his any more but he did have an impressive exhibition game:

"Meanwhile, Jones completed 23 of 35 passes for 289 yards, with two touchdown passes and one interception."

Like they needed more help, and like he still won't be passed up by a new five star before it is over.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
There are always spring game heroes who never do much during the season. Who knows what will become of Jones.

Thats true, our leading rusher in our spring game may not even dress for home games and 100% won't go to an away game unless we 5 guys go down. We wouldn't likely bring a LB or DB over before he plays a meaningful snap.

This upcoming year will tell the tell... Yes he has been instrumental in getting us in the arms race..... But the excuses are over... Do not want to continue to hear the same Ole post game quotes... "Will get it fixed" or "WE just have to get back to work" This is the VERY first year during his tenure that I have not been singing from the mountain.., that this year is the year... The 9-10 win year... Been waiting 41 years.... 1977... The time is now! I am affraid though that 4-5 wins is closer than 9-10.. I hope not or that huge buyout (ridiculous, second only to Saban) for a coach who essentially went from District Manager to CEO... AND the results are not what I would expect.. In game decisions and adjustments along g with the DOWN WARD spiral of the much talked about secondary... I hope I am wrong.. But I really believe the light which was starting to get brighter may be dimming g which is Stoops Troops..
2-10. 5-7. 5-7. 7-6. 7-6. These numbers reveal a trend that doesn't justify for your negative narrative. However, I agree with you about 1 thing. 2018 should be a defining season for Stoops' coaching tenure at Kentucky. But we won't go undefeated, and that will give those with negative attitudes the excuse they need to stay negative.

Getting back to recruiting, which is the title of this thread after all. We have 4 verbal commitments. Moses Douglass, KD McDaniel, Eli Cox, Jalen Geiger. Following are believed to be UK leans this early in the recruiting season. Marvin Grant (possibly announcing this month), Dontay Hunter, Luke Fulton, Wandale Robinson, Jamari Williams, Demontae Crumes, Jeremiah Ross, Hayden Wolff. Following are generally believed to have UK on their finalist lists. Isaiah Gibson, Kyle Jornigan, Aidan Robbins, JJ Weaver, Shawnkel Knight-Goff, Connor Bazelak, John Biven, Kendrell Scurry, Taj Dodson, Jordan Kirkbride, JD Duplain, Nyles Beverly, Nick Broeker, Nick Scalzo, Nikolas Ognenovic, Anthony Booker, Donald Clay, Julius Wood, Delbert Mimms, Jaden Jenkins.

Last edited:
CFB & NFL are diverging here due to different LOS rules.

Everyone has their own opinions. I have been critical of certain program management decisions at times, such as the slow decisions to hire a dedicated special teams coordinator and a dedicated quarterbacks coach. But, overall, I have been supportive of Stoops because he is shepherding our football program in a productive direction. Looking back, 4 developments won my support. Stoops is the strongest recruiter we have had in the HC position in decades. Stoops has been squeaky clean. Stoops has steadily improved the quality of his coaching staff, including the retention of Vince Marrow when Michigan tried to hire him away. Additions of Coaches Smith and White are the latest productive hires. Stoops has worked with our administration to steadily renovate and improve all of our football facilities. So with regard to your question, Stoops has created a positive momentum inside our football program, and there is every reason to believe that will continue. When we talk about recruiting here, these threads inevitably get hijacked, either by someone obsessed with certain prospects they personally want, or someone who is obsessed with spinning the thread into his personal agenda to criticize our athletics department. Those people are ruining this board for the rest of us. I only want to talk about recruiting as a process. So I will not discuss prospects I personally want. Instead, I will name the following prospects that, I believe, are likely to actually sign in UK's next class. Moses Douglass, Marvin Grant, Jeremiah Ross, Shawnkel Knight-Goff, KD McDaniel, Luke Fulton, Dontay Hunter, Isaiah Gibson, Taures Payne, Connor Bazelak, Hayden Wolff, John Bivins, Wandale Robinson, Demontae Crumes, Jordan Kirkbride, Kyle Jornigan, Tanner Bowles, Jamari Williams.

Although Stoops has had a somewhat slow learning curve as a head coach, I believe he will take UK to the next level because of the staff he has assembled around him.
This group of guys he has around him are very good recruiters and coaches. The dominos are falling into place and the potential for huge recruiting success is in place.
Would like to know what others think?
False we recruit out of our league.
Our coaches, Morrow in particular, and Gran get in on these guys a year, year and half out that are gonna explode on the football high school scene. Our coaches are A+ At scouting for the big colleges. We take a 5.8 QB Jerry Smith and we know he is gonna blow up, get that high 6.0. He commits a year out lol SMH and then when big boys come and just simply offer, bye bye UK.

hell we even had one kid tell us he was married to us then left us at the Alter .

We are not a good football program and I feel sorry for Morrow. If we get a 4 star player a year ish out, they leave at around an 80% decommit rate. I feel bad for stoops. On top of that we lose our best players to Autrition EVERY year. That's not normal at all.

We have lost around 70% of 4 stars that made it to campus through transfer and most STARTED!
When you see Marrow leave, it's over fire Stoops. He has no control.as evidence of Morrow having to crack the whip on Live TV while midget boy face got red as a rose cos our players were just about throwing a party after a BEAT DOWN loss.

False we recruit out of our league.
Our coaches, Morrow in particular, and Gran get in on these guys a year, year and half out that are gonna explode on the football high school scene. Our coaches are A+ At scouting for the big colleges. We take a 5.8 QB Jerry Smith and we know he is gonna blow up, get that high 6.0. He commits a year out lol SMH and then when big boys come and just simply offer, bye bye UK.

hell we even had one kid tell us he was married to us then left us at the Alter .

We are not a good football program and I feel sorry for Morrow. If we get a 4 star player a year ish out, they leave at around an 80% decommit rate. I feel bad for stoops. On top of that we lose our best players to Autrition EVERY year. That's not normal at all.

We have lost around 70% of 4 stars that made it to campus through transfer and most STARTED!
When you see Marrow leave, it's over fire Stoops. He has no control.as evidence of Morrow having to crack the whip on Live TV while midget boy face got red as a rose cos our players were just about throwing a party after a BEAT DOWN loss.

Good heavens, this is serious.

I thought we could afford to lose Ware and Brown, pretty deep at LB, but now you are saying we are going to lose Josh, Edwards, Conrad, Baker, and the only FIVE STAR we have had this century, who else, I hope the whole OL isn't leaving too. And I hope it isn't all three QBs, I think all of them have good potential but I would hate to have no depth.

Yes, that will be a bad situation, still better overall talent overall than three years ago but a real big blow.

I'm glad you are on top of things though, I know you hate to bring bad tidings, but someone had to do it, I'm glad you are on top of it although you hate to post anything negative.

He has no control.as evidence of Morrow having to crack the whip on Live TV while midget boy face got red as a rose cos our players were just about throwing a party after a BEAT DOWN loss.

Guess you are calling for another 4 win season.

I see your purpose, here, but Jesus, you simply are not good at what you are trying to do.

Three new recruits in a week. That helps sustain me during these awful months of summer. Let's get more!!!!

Guess you are calling for another 4 win season.

I see your purpose, here, but Jesus, you simply are not good at what you are trying to do.

Yes, and he has always been right too. Just ask him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT